IU - Bloomington Class of 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BearsGrl

Gold

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Post by BearsGrl » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:54 pm

iowalum wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
iowalum wrote:
mrmojojak wrote:I'm getting in Saturday night, I could always go for a drink. Let me know when you'll be up there I'll shoot you a PM with how to contact me. Probably going to go out Sunday to watch the Iowa game.
Go Hawks!!!!

Despite my future Hoosier status my heart belongs to the Hawkeyes, even though we suck at basketball.
Don't worry - You can love IA football. :)

IU is known for swimming, soccer and basketball. As long as you can say "Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers" you'll be ok. :)
This is fair. As long as IU doesn't beat Iowa in football I'll be happy. :D We would have some real issues.

Still haven't heard back from my scholly negotiations, may call tomorrow. I'm anxious to accept and start getting my Hoosier gear/quit my crappy part-time job
1) IU doesn't have a football team. You may think they do, but they do not. It's better to just accept this fact now.
2) Don't quit your job. You will need the extra monies to drink through the fact that IU doesn't have a football team. Plus that whole fact that the legal industry doesn't seem to be "that good" right now looks like another reason to drink.
3) Hold off on the gear unless it's specific Law student gear, but they will offer IU specials for gear all of the time. No need to spend that money now. You will soon be able to buy, in every color, IU gear. I know you are eager to buy your yoga pants, pencils and folders. :wink:
4) Always remember rule #1. :) But we do give the world those swimming lap coils!

step1plus2

New

Post by step1plus2 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:59 pm

TommyK wrote:I'm thinking about going out to Bloomington this weekend to go apartment shopping. Anybody thinking about doing the same thing? For those folks who are too far from Bloomington for a drive, can I check out anything on your behalf and report back to you?

If you are going to be in the area, let me know and we can grab a brew.
I'm going out myself in the next few weeks, but I can't get out this weekend (from Columbus, coincidentally). I was looking at a couple of CS property management places: --LinkRemoved-- Let me know if you look at any of those, or if anything else close to the law school looks good to you. Thanks!

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:18 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
1) IU doesn't have a football team. You may think they do, but they do not. It's better to just accept this fact now.
2) Don't quit your job. You will need the extra monies to drink through the fact that IU doesn't have a football team. Plus that whole fact that the legal industry doesn't seem to be "that good" right now looks like another reason to drink.
3) Hold off on the gear unless it's specific Law student gear, but they will offer IU specials for gear all of the time. No need to spend that money now. You will soon be able to buy, in every color, IU gear. I know you are eager to buy your yoga pants, pencils and folders. :wink:
4) Always remember rule #1. :) But we do give the world those swimming lap coils!
I'm pretty sure rule #1 is incorrect (unless you're being sarcastic because they're horrible) as we (Iowa) play them every year (and win). In Bloomington next year! Good call on the gear though, no need to get excited when there are student discounts in my future.

I'm going to go drink per rule #2, bemoaning the fact that I can't quit my job for another 3.5 months (hopefully summer start and a month of "prep" will save me).

Are you committed to IU or still deciding?

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:42 pm

iowalum wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
I'm pretty sure rule #1 is incorrect (unless you're being sarcastic because they're horrible) as we (Iowa) play them every year (and win). In Bloomington next year! Good call on the gear though, no need to get excited when there are student discounts in my future.

I'm going to go drink per rule #2, bemoaning the fact that I can't quit my job for another 3.5 months (hopefully summer start and a month of "prep" will save me).

1) Haha - Yes, I meant that IU has a football team, but doesn't play well in order to be considered one. But they still have good tailgates. So win either way.
2) Even if you don't have a discount, I meant that the IU store (located on the corner - close to a couple establishment restaurants - Mother Bears, I think is one), is always offering t-shirts in a wide array of colors.
3) I haven't been accepted, but I just wanted to be around to help those that were with any info they might have about the area since I graduated from there and can understand certain things better.
4) As far as Big 10 teams go, you just need to dislike OSU, Michigan and Purdue. If you can do that, you're good. :)

shroeder

Bronze

Post by shroeder » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:08 pm

I just went under review... Anyone know bout long the wait will be?? Thanks and good luck all TLSers! Nuttin but love for ya!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

S-IV

New

Post by S-IV » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:44 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
S-IV wrote:
station4 wrote:
clarion wrote:So I emailed them last Thursday to ask why I was still only in review only to get an email today (Wednesday) about them needing a residency affadavit. >_> Right now I'm just so frustrated that I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should just withdraw... Congrats to all of you who have gotten in, though! :)
Clarion:

Same thing happened to me. I sent them the residency affidavit, went complete, and was admitted four days later. I think they realize how frustrating the process has been and will try to get to your application quickly once they get the affidavit.
Where did you guys find the residency affidavit? I tried to download it from the application on LSAC, but it won't work. Is there another resource from which it can be downloaded?
http://cl.ly/2D2j183E1Y0D0r1T2J1l
Lexbrah, you're the man. Thanks to all of you for your help!

dolfan0516

Bronze

Post by dolfan0516 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:51 pm

shroeder wrote:I just went under review... Anyone know bout long the wait will be?? Thanks and good luck all TLSers! Nuttin but love for ya!!
Just got a decision mailed today after going under initial review on 1/8

chamuc

New

Post by chamuc » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:16 pm

shroeder wrote:I just went under review... Anyone know bout long the wait will be?? Thanks and good luck all TLSers! Nuttin but love for ya!!
How long did it take for your application to be placed under review? Sent out my application 1/31. IU-Bl emailed right back to notify the receipt and promise to email again once they start to process the application. Haven't heard from them since then :(

chamuc

New

Post by chamuc » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:17 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:
Just got a decision mailed today after going under initial review on 1/8
Congrats!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:26 pm

chamuc wrote:
How long did it take for your application to be placed under review? Sent out my application 1/31. IU-Bl emailed right back to notify the receipt and promise to email again once they start to process the application. Haven't heard from them since then :(
It may not be as long for you, but many people waited months. So, don't worry yet.

chamuc

New

Post by chamuc » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:12 am

iowalum wrote:
chamuc wrote:
It may not be as long for you, but many people waited months. So, don't worry yet.
Thanks! :)

PopTorts13

Bronze

Post by PopTorts13 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:15 pm

iowalum wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

1. We always produce a couple NFL players each year, i.e. Porter of the Saints, the guy that intercepted Manning and returned it to beat the Colts in the Superbowl; Unfortunately football is a team sport. We put on a hell of a tailgating experience though! ha ha

2.) IU has a great Alumnus Network that helps in allocating employment.

3.) AGREED, plus the University is launching it's official plaid in the coming weeks... that is if you are into fashion.

4.) Ha. I have to add we have a great swimming and track and field team as well. I ran on our track team and we had several people qualify for nationals and are currently working on prelims for the Olympics.

Additional note: You MUST HATE PURDUE...why you ask... THEY GENUINELY SUCK AT LIFE... Welcome to the most beautiful campus ;-)

steelers2012

New

Post by steelers2012 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:12 pm

So yeah. I've been waiting since december for them to even start reviewing my application :/ getting tire of waiting, I may just withdraw

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

7ate9

New

Post by 7ate9 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:55 am

steelers2012 wrote:So yeah. I've been waiting since december for them to even start reviewing my application :/ getting tire of waiting, I may just withdraw
Patience, I waited a long time too. At the end of the wait, I not only received an admissions offer, but also a full-ride scholarship. I honestly thing that their status checker is a joke - the only important update is when it says decision rendered.

Good luck...

clarion

Bronze

Post by clarion » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:49 pm

steelers2012 wrote:So yeah. I've been waiting since december for them to even start reviewing my application :/ getting tire of waiting, I may just withdraw
Hey, Idk if you saw, but some of us others had been in similar situations and after contacting the admissions office discovered that they were waiting to receive a residency form (that I was almost positive was optional). But to give you idea, I had been processing since 12/1 and after emailing my residency form on this past Friday, went complete and under review about 20 minutes later

B986

Bronze

Post by B986 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:55 pm

clarion wrote:
Hey, Idk if you saw, but some of us others had been in similar situations and after contacting the admissions office discovered that they were waiting to receive a residency form (that I was almost positive was optional). But to give you idea, I had been processing since 12/1 and after emailing my residency form on this past Friday, went complete and under review about 20 minutes later
Sent in the residency affidavit a few wks ago (even though it was supposed to be optional and I am not an IN resident) and have been in review since. It's difficult to be patient with these ridiculously slow schools when so many other schools seem to have no problem processing applications and issuing decisions in a timely/organized manner and generally having their act together.

PopTorts13

Bronze

Post by PopTorts13 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:00 pm

B986 wrote:
clarion wrote:
Sent in the residency affidavit a few wks ago (even though it was supposed to be optional and I am not an IN resident) and have been in review since. It's difficult to be patient with these ridiculously slow schools when so many other schools seem to have no problem processing applications and issuing decisions in a timely/organized manner and generally having their act together.
Look at Penn and Columbia... Those admission offices are an absolute joke. T14 schools that struggle to notify applicants within three months of a complete date. It happens across the board. I love IU though and would hate for you to miss out on a great place. Like you stated yourself, some schools have their shit together, others don't. It's frustrating to say the least! My advice: Wait! 8)
Last edited by PopTorts13 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BKCentral

Bronze

Post by BKCentral » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:04 pm

clarion wrote:
On the other hand, I e-mailed them about it almost 2 weeks ago and have not had similar success; actually, haven't even been graced with a response yet.

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:00 pm

BKCentral wrote:
clarion wrote:
On the other hand, I e-mailed them about it almost 2 weeks ago and have not had similar success; actually, haven't even been graced with a response yet.
I'm in the exact same position. Waiting.

chamuc

New

Post by chamuc » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:51 am

omninode wrote:
BKCentral wrote:
clarion wrote:
+1, count me in.

JMoore33

New

Post by JMoore33 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:26 pm

So my status checker has a decision rendered date of 2/17/12 and under mailings it says admit packet 2/17/12. I haven't gotten any emails from them. Do you think this means that I have been accepted since it says admit packet mailed? I sent them an email this morning but haven't heard back. Stats are 164/3.42

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rijed

New

Post by rijed » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:31 pm

JMoore33 wrote:So my status checker has a decision rendered date of 2/17/12 and under mailings it says admit packet 2/17/12. I haven't gotten any emails from them. Do you think this means that I have been accepted since it says admit packet mailed? I sent them an email this morning but haven't heard back. Stats are 164/3.42
Yes. A similar thing happened to me and I was admitted. Congratulations.

S-IV

New

Post by S-IV » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:07 pm

omninode wrote:
BKCentral wrote:
clarion wrote:

Same here. My status says "File Complete - No Decision Yet"

SteelersGal90

New

Post by SteelersGal90 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:18 am

I have heard back from almost every school that I've applied and am right now trying to figure out which of the schools I would like to go visit/seriously consider, especially because I applied to all out-of-state schools. I was wondering what any of you guys thought about a full-ride scholarship at IU vs. no scholarship at Boston U or Boston College (as of yet, but BC is historically really late in the game on scholarships). The starting salary job stats at IU just don't seem to fit with its ranking. I know that location has something to do with it...but I am most concerned with getting a good job in three years! Thoughts?

mrmojojak

New

Post by mrmojojak » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:24 am

Is it just me or are a lot of Pittsburgh fans posting in this thread. Come to IU I need people to watch the games with!
SteelersGal90 wrote:I have heard back from almost every school that I've applied and am right now trying to figure out which of the schools I would like to go visit/seriously consider, especially because I applied to all out-of-state schools. I was wondering what any of you guys thought about a full-ride scholarship at IU vs. no scholarship at Boston U or Boston College (as of yet, but BC is historically really late in the game on scholarships). The starting salary job stats at IU just don't seem to fit with its ranking. I know that location has something to do with it...but I am most concerned with getting a good job in three years! Thoughts?
I think you might want to post this in the choosing a law school forum. I think IU is worth the visit. It doesn't have a giant metro home market though so big law will be limited. IU's ranking right now is decent, but rankings in any one given year don't matter. It has been ranked closer to the 40s for an extended period of time, so, it's employment data reflects that. It'll take IU a long time of being consistently ranked in the top 25 and pulling in good applicants before employers take notice and its data looks more like Notre Dame's.

On to your question. If you're someone who needs big law to be happy I would look closer at one of the Boston law schools. The nice thing about your full scholarship is you don't need big law to pay back your student loans. To me, that is what is pushing me closer to IU.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”