IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PopTorts13

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby PopTorts13 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:53 pm

Accepted today: Dean's Scholarship (Full-Tuition) + Stipend ($3,000 per year) + Summer Start Tuition waived. Good luck everyone, proud alumnus here!

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:55 pm

Wow! Congrats! I'm glad to see they still have money to burn. With your stats you must really love Indiana.

Also, called today about my file - I am now complete and in line for review! Woooooooooo

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:04 pm

I just got an email asking me to "clarify the number of speeding tickets" I have received... That is seriously something they consider a problem? That I've received a couple of speeding tickets in the past few years? Really annoyed...

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:36 pm

theduffman wrote:I just got an email asking me to "clarify the number of speeding tickets" I have received... That is seriously something they consider a problem? That I've received a couple of speeding tickets in the past few years? Really annoyed...

Why are you really annoyed? Were you clear in the number of speeding tickets you've had and for what violations? It may seem silly, but the state bar application may ask questions about citations you've received and it should be consistent with what you said on your application. Just answer the email with a detailed description. So long as you don't have a reckless history of being cited, you'll be fine on C&F... but they probably want to be sure.

For the life of me, I can't imagine why somebody would get worked up about something like this.

B986

Postby B986 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:41 pm

I'd be pretty annoyed if a school that has taken nearly two months to process my file and let me know if it is complete asked me about traffic violations.

Bmarce

Postby Bmarce » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:21 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:Accepted today: Dean's Scholarship (Full-Tuition) + Stipend ($3,000 per year) + Summer Start Tuition waived. Good luck everyone, proud alumnus here!

Congrats.

ColumbiaChamp

Postby ColumbiaChamp » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:48 pm

have not received my admit packet in the mail yet. those that have, is it via USPS or through a parcel service? thanks in advance.

ColumbiaChamp

Postby ColumbiaChamp » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:57 pm

emkay625 wrote:IU is starting to frustrate me. How could this take so long?! Submitted 11/2 and am not yet complete.

don't worry em, they are just trying to decide how much extra money to dish out on top of your full ride.

MillerTime12

Postby MillerTime12 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:08 pm

ColumbiaChamp wrote:have not received my admit packet in the mail yet. those that have, is it via USPS or through a parcel service? thanks in advance.

USPS - note that it does come in a larger envelope though, not your standard letter size.

ColumbiaChamp

Postby ColumbiaChamp » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:42 pm

MillerTime12 wrote:
ColumbiaChamp wrote:have not received my admit packet in the mail yet. those that have, is it via USPS or through a parcel service? thanks in advance.

USPS - note that it does come in a larger envelope though, not your standard letter size.

thanks. odd question: what color is the envelope? (my neighbor has a large envelope in his mailbox and the mailman is known to misplace my mail on a regular basis).

MillerTime12

Postby MillerTime12 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:27 pm

ColumbiaChamp wrote:
MillerTime12 wrote:

thanks. odd question: what color is the envelope? (my neighbor has a large envelope in his mailbox and the mailman is known to misplace my mail on a regular basis).

Haha it's the standard white priority mail envelope.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:34 pm

ColumbiaChamp wrote:
emkay625 wrote:IU is starting to frustrate me. How could this take so long?! Submitted 11/2 and am not yet complete.

don't worry em, they are just trying to decide how much extra money to dish out on top of your full ride.

Columbia! I've missed you.

ColumbiaChamp

Postby ColumbiaChamp » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:39 pm

emkay625 wrote:
ColumbiaChamp wrote:

Columbia! I've missed you.

mizzed you too! I wish they would hurry up with your acceptance so we can go to Indiana together.

lndixon

Postby lndixon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:54 pm

Hey guys,

I got offered a full tuition here plus summer start waived. But I also got into NYU. Do you guys know anything about IU that would set it apart? I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to visit before making my decision. I know it's a decently ranked school, I just want to make the right decision.

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:01 am

lndixon wrote:Hey guys,

I got offered a full tuition here plus summer start waived. But I also got into NYU. Do you guys know anything about IU that would set it apart? I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to visit before making my decision. I know it's a decently ranked school, I just want to make the right decision.

I don't know much about NYU, but IUB is an absolutely beautiful campus with some of the most friendly people you will ever meet. Work hard and the graduates enjoy the perks of a strong student/alumnus network, spanning the entire nation. If one so chooses to not put in the effort and graduates among-st the bottom of their respective class and doesn't actively participate outside of their classes, they will struggle ultimately. However, this can be said about the majority of schools. Not to mention cost of living is substantially lower. I could ramble on because I love IU, as I am an alumnus, but it truly is a great school.

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:56 pm

Honestly, most people are going to tell you NYU. Indiana is a great school for the midwest, but if you want a more national reach (or want to work in NY) then NYU is probably the way to go. It also depends on how much you want to spend. If having moderately fewer employment options is acceptable in exchange for not having any debt then go for IU, but if NYU also gave you a big scholarship then it makes it more difficult. But it's not like you're having to choose between NYU and some TTT school, Indiana is very good (hence why I want to go there). It really just depends on your personal preferences for location and debt.

btw384

Postby btw384 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:13 pm

Disclaimer: I'm a 0L, so this is all my opinion based on reading/research.

If you are extremely debt-averse/ only interested in staying in the Midwest (especially Indiana)/ already have a job lined up before attending LS, IUB is probably the right decision. Any other measuring factor points towards NYU, sticker or not. This year's Midwest T25 OCI thread (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=161839) is worth reading over for anybody interested in IUB/UIUC/Minnesota/WUSTL/ND. There is more information on UIUC/WUSTL in the thread than there is on other schools, but there are some pearls from IUB/Minnesota/Wisconsin/Iowa as well.

The TL;DR on that thread is that even for those in top 15-20%, and often for those in top 5% w/LR, Biglaw was really hit or miss, and aside from UIUC (to some extent), Chicago positions of any kind were near impossible.

My point being that if you have any interest in Biglaw at all, you should choose NYU because your opportunities will be much, much higher at NYU than at IUB (probably even in the Midwest). If you are interested in PI, they probably have a better LRAP program than IUB. It is surely a lot of debt to take on at NYU, but the opportunities would make up for the price IMO.

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:39 pm

In Review! How long after it take after people went into review?

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:46 pm

iowalum wrote:In Review! How long after it take after people went into review?

It took my application 3 weeks. Mind you it was expedited, but during a time in which they were having difficulty with their status checker system. I would guess 4 weeks... Always better to assume a bit longer and then if we are to hear anything back sooner it is a surprise, ha ha. Good Luck Iowalum!

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:49 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:

It took my application 3 weeks. Mind you it was expedited, but during a time in which they were having difficulty with their status checker system. I would guess 4 weeks... Always better to assume a bit longer and then if we are to hear anything back sooner it is a surprise, ha ha. Good Luck Iowalum!

Wow I didn't realize my sentence was so challenged. My grammar senses are offended. 4 weeks is a long time! Hopefully they've gotten their kinks worked out, it took me nagging them to get it in review in the first place, so I'm hoping for sooner.

rijed

Postby rijed » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:55 pm

I think it depends. I went into review and had a decision within like 4 days.

B986

Postby B986 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:58 pm

Submitted in early December and still "being processed." I also applied with a fee waiver and was promised expedited review. Hmm...

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:04 pm

B986 wrote:Submitted in early December and still "being processed." I also applied with a fee waiver and was promised expedited review. Hmm...

I would call. That's the only way I got mine moved and I submitted after you.

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:05 pm

B986 wrote:Submitted in early December and still "being processed." I also applied with a fee waiver and was promised expedited review. Hmm...

Call them and reiterate your interest and ask if there is anything missing from your file or anything that could further assist them in a holistic review of your app. I did the aforementioned and things rolled smooth from then on out. Best of luck!!

B986

Postby B986 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:15 pm

Good to know. I'll definitely give them a call. Thanks, guys.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”