IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
iowalum

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby iowalum » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:42 pm

Gail wrote:I don't want to say anything bad about Indiana again. Especially since I would have been really excited to attend had I gotten the 120k (or even if they were to do something like OOS waivers + 10k).

I'm more surprised by the sudden change of direction. Some have said that this is a long run strategy, which I could agree with. It just seems like, given the state of the law school climate as it is (Illinois taking a rankings hit and everyone likely seeing some slowdown in what has been a rapid median inflation over the last decade) IUB could have been primed to really do something incredible this year.

I could easily see their current strategy back-firing, putting them two steps back. Then again, people have said that there are a lot of defers and if Indiana offers 120k to enough people over both medians, they could surprise everyone yet.

It just makes it appear that a certain level of talent (however much that is measured by numbers) is not inherently worth anything but is entirely arbitrary. If I get in this year with 10K (for example) and the people with my exact same numbers in the classes before and after me (if they go back to chasing LSATs next year) have full rides, that would make me a very unhappy student. Why are they worth that much more because they applied a year before or after me? (I understand the rankings thing, I'm just making a theoretical argument.) Just annoying. I'll still attend if I can get some kind of decent scholly, but I think the massive difference that just one year makes is little sketchy.

Gail

Postby Gail » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:48 pm

iowalum wrote:
Gail wrote:I don't want to say anything bad about Indiana again. Especially since I would have been really excited to attend had I gotten the 120k (or even if they were to do something like OOS waivers + 10k).

I'm more surprised by the sudden change of direction. Some have said that this is a long run strategy, which I could agree with. It just seems like, given the state of the law school climate as it is (Illinois taking a rankings hit and everyone likely seeing some slowdown in what has been a rapid median inflation over the last decade) IUB could have been primed to really do something incredible this year.

I could easily see their current strategy back-firing, putting them two steps back. Then again, people have said that there are a lot of defers and if Indiana offers 120k to enough people over both medians, they could surprise everyone yet.

It just makes it appear that a certain level of talent (however much that is measured by numbers) is not inherently worth anything but is entirely arbitrary. If I get in this year with 10K (for example) and the people with my exact same numbers in the classes before and after me (if they go back to chasing LSATs next year) have full rides, that would make me a very unhappy student. Why are they worth that much more because they applied a year before or after me? (I understand the rankings thing, I'm just making a theoretical argument.) Just annoying. I'll still attend if I can get some kind of decent scholly, but I think the massive difference that just one year makes is little sketchy.

No doubt. It wouldn't be half as bad if out of state tuition wasn't over 40k a year. 40k. I mean... Wow.

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:10 pm

Gail wrote:
iowalum wrote:

No doubt. It wouldn't be half as bad if out of state tuition wasn't over 40k a year. 40k. I mean... Wow.

No kidding. I think the only thing that might save IU-B for me if they don't lay down a big scholly is that I have residency. Still expensive, but a lot cheaper than OOS. Hopefully they'll still pull out the big guns. I mean, did they think we forgot how much money they have?

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:27 pm

Getting impatient!! (obviously) Update please!!!

rijed

Postby rijed » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:44 pm

I was accepted to IU-B recently, and at this point it is one of my top choices. Because I am a resident of Indiana, I eventually would like to practice in Indiana. Can anyone tell me about IU-B? Is there much outdoors stuff to do? Has anyone read about what the culture of the school is like? Is it cutthroat or relatively cordial? Also, is there any intramural sports? I'm not sure why you would know (maybe you visited or something), but any information/advice you guys have would be appreciated. Thanks.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:57 am

rijed wrote:I was accepted to IU-B recently, and at this point it is one of my top choices. Because I am a resident of Indiana, I eventually would like to practice in Indiana. Can anyone tell me about IU-B? Is there much outdoors stuff to do? Has anyone read about what the culture of the school is like? Is it cutthroat or relatively cordial? Also, is there any intramural sports? I'm not sure why you would know (maybe you visited or something), but any information/advice you guys have would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cool college town, but can't speak much more to that. When I went to the ASW last year, the people seemed cool enough. There is no requirement aside from not flunking out to keep your scholarship so this at least removes some of the artificial pressures that would make a school more likely to be cutthroat.

But the below thread may provide more value to you since the folks that are following the thread we're posting in are largely prospective students:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=88284

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:38 pm

rijed wrote:I was accepted to IU-B recently, and at this point it is one of my top choices. Because I am a resident of Indiana, I eventually would like to practice in Indiana. Can anyone tell me about IU-B? Is there much outdoors stuff to do? Has anyone read about what the culture of the school is like? Is it cutthroat or relatively cordial? Also, is there any intramural sports? I'm not sure why you would know (maybe you visited or something), but any information/advice you guys have would be appreciated. Thanks.

I went to IUB for undergrad. There are tons of intramural sports, pretty much anything you can think of. Off the top of my head I've played basketball, flag football, 4 and 6 person volleyball, ping pong, cornholl, ultimate frisbee, frisbee golf....there is also baseball, kickball, and soccer and I'm sure many others.

As far as outdoor things to do the campus is gorgeous. The arboretum in the middle of campus is a great place to just sit and relax. There is also a large wildlife park with trails to hike and a lake not even 5 minutes from campus. There is also a state park where you can rent canoes and go camping about 20 minutes away.

It's really a very nice place to go to school. I highly suggest you visit, especially if you live in Indiana.

rijed

Postby rijed » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:42 pm

Thanks for all the information.

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:48 pm

Dear Indiana,

I have begun buying shoes in an effort to distract myself from the fact that you never update anything. Please admit me before I go completely broke and have to send you my receipts. Thanks.

tolson1

Postby tolson1 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:28 am

File being processed since 11/3/2011.. I suppose it is a little comforting seeing others with the same prompt. Definitely below medians, but I am praying hard! :) Best of luck to you all.

MillerTime12

Postby MillerTime12 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:47 pm

Has anyone received an acceptance letter yet? I received my acceptance email on 12/23, but haven't received a letter yet.

rijed

Postby rijed » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:55 pm

MillerTime12 wrote:Has anyone received an acceptance letter yet? I received my acceptance email on 12/23, but haven't received a letter yet.

No. I called last week and they said they still hadn't sent them. It is a little disturbing how bad the admissions process at IU has been.

omninode

Postby omninode » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:33 pm

rijed wrote:
MillerTime12 wrote:Has anyone received an acceptance letter yet? I received my acceptance email on 12/23, but haven't received a letter yet.

No. I called last week and they said they still hadn't sent them. It is a little disturbing how bad the admissions process at IU has been.

Agreed. What are they doing over there? I applied in early December and they have not even processed my file yet, if the status checker is to be believed. Disappointing.

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:49 pm

omninode wrote:
rijed wrote:

Agreed. What are they doing over there? I applied in early December and they have not even processed my file yet, if the status checker is to be believed. Disappointing.

Received an app waiver and was told that my app would be expidite reviewed back in early Dec and still havent heard back, considering other shools' pts are a matter of weeks, this is silly. I am an alum with exceptionally high numbers, you'd think they'd throw me a bone! I love you IU, come on now...

tolson1

Postby tolson1 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:59 pm

omninode wrote:
rijed wrote:

Yep.

7ate9

Postby 7ate9 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:55 am

omninode wrote:Agreed. What are they doing over there? I applied in early December and they have not even processed my file yet, if the status checker is to be believed. Disappointing.

From my own experience it seems that they simply do not update the status checker. It took me a few weeks to receive the status checker e-mail, then a month for it to show complete. I found out my decision shortly after the complete update. This may all be due to applying in late October, but it seems like this is how IU operates.

Enjoy your wait...and good luck!

decibel8710

Postby decibel8710 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:56 am

I spoke with an admissions officer due to the same concerns (my status checker still says my file's being processed - since 11/10/11 :| ). What it seems to come down to is there were technical issues between the school and LSAC and now they have to manually check off each individual item on our application checklist, which slows the process down considerably. Couple that with the fact that this is the first year they're using the status checker and you can see why everything's been so quiet as far as updates go.

PinkLemonade

Postby PinkLemonade » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:29 pm

"File Complete - In Review" as of 1/17/2012

Applied late Sept.

rijed

Postby rijed » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:39 pm

I called this morning and they said they should be sending out packets today or tomorrow for admitted students.

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:41 pm

rijed wrote:I called this morning and they said they should be sending out packets today or tomorrow for admitted students.

So hopefully this means they'll be moving on to admitting some of the rest of us...

neeko

Postby neeko » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:45 pm

iowalum wrote:
rijed wrote:I called this morning and they said they should be sending out packets today or tomorrow for admitted students.

So hopefully this means they'll be moving on to admitting some of the rest of us...

I'd be thrilled if they would complete my 3 month incomplete file.

punkyg0608

Postby punkyg0608 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:57 am

My status checker finally updated! Unfortunately it says "Your file has been processed and it is still incomplete. See Checklist." On my checklist, everything is checked except my residency form. But that was a required form, and I couldn't have sent my application without it! Is anyone else facing a similar problem?

Bmarce

Postby Bmarce » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:59 pm

neeko wrote:
iowalum wrote:

I'd be thrilled if they would complete my 3 month incomplete file.

Amen to that! I submitted my app on November 3rd! I am not even complete yet.

Bmarce

Postby Bmarce » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:09 pm

I just emailed them about the delay in processing time. I got this response....

We are working as fast as we can to get all the files completed in a timely manner. If you are missing anything you will be contacted.

Thank you,

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:26 pm

Bmarce wrote:I just emailed them about the delay in processing time. I got this response....

We are working as fast as we can to get all the files completed in a timely manner. If you are missing anything you will be contacted.

Thank you,

:|

I'm usually a defender of the IUB process, but this isn't a great response.

I would be happy to draft a better form letter for them.

"Thank you for your email. At this time, we are still evaluating candidate files. Because of the nature of the review process and the fact that we give each applicant a full review with participation from selected students, faculty and administrators as well as an automatic referral to the multi-body scholarship committee, this process is somewhat lengthy. We realize this is a time filled with a certain level of anxiety and excitement for prospective students and feel very fortunate that you have chosen to apply to Maurer's school of law at Indiana University - Bloomington and ask for your continued patience as we thoroughly review all aspects of the candidates' applications. Thank you for your continued interest and we will respond as soon as we have made a final decision."

You're welcome, Indiana. You can send me a consulting fee via paypal if you like :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”