IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
ColtsFan88
Posts: 1432
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:05 pm

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby ColtsFan88 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:59 pm

What do you all think will happen with the schollies this year? Any idea?

User avatar
hal20
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:48 am

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby hal20 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:30 pm

Anyone gone complete yet? I'm sitting on an Incomplete File from 9/15 and this is the only school I'm waiting on to go complete.

MillerTime12
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 10:10 pm

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby MillerTime12 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:00 pm

Cartman wrote:
MillerTime12 wrote:
Hopefully2012 wrote:So for the mandatory residency affidavit that we have to print, fill out and attach... how are you guys doing this since LSAC doesn't allow pdf attachments and a majority of scanners out there only scan to pdf.... I tried to OCR it into docx but it's completely screwed up.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking about just writing a quick blurb on word saying "it's in the mail" and just mail it to them... it'd be easier for everyone if we found a way to attach it though.


I printed it, filled it out, and then scanned it. I then dragged the PDF file into a MS Word document. It shows up as a picture. I expanded the picture to take up the full screen and then uploaded it into LSAC. It may look blurry in the MS Word document but mine showed up clear in the application preview.


Brilliant! I've been absolutely pulling my hair out for the last several hours trying to figure out how the hell to do this. My scanner only saves to PDF, and I even bought AdobeExportPDF for 20 bucks a year to try and convert from a PDF to a word doc. Came out all messed up.

Ugh, if only I had browsed this thread sooner...woulda saved me headache and money.


Ha sorry you had such a hard time with that. Glad I could help though!


hal20 wrote:Anyone gone complete yet? I'm sitting on an Incomplete File from 9/15 and this is the only school I'm waiting on to go complete.


I've been incomplete since 9/16 and, like you, this is the only school that shows me as incomplete. I even emailed admissions a few days ago and asked if they needed something else from me, but I have yet to hear back.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby TommyK » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:17 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:What do you all think will happen with the schollies this year? Any idea?


I fully expect them to be in the same range for similar stats as last year. The endowment that was made to create these scholarships was large enough that they can have them keep going for a while.

Englander742
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:22 am

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby Englander742 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:13 am

I've been complete since 9/27.

User avatar
Maye
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:42 pm

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby Maye » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:56 am

Just emailed them for a fee waiver. The assistant dean responded within ten minutes and was very friendly; I'm impressed that the asst dean is actually handling questions like this.

User avatar
ColtsFan88
Posts: 1432
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:05 pm

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby ColtsFan88 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:18 pm

Anyone having a problem uploading the residency affidavit? I keep getting this error message:

An error has occurred processing your request.


Note: Use of your browser's navigational buttons may cause errors. Please use the navigational buttons provided within LSAC.org Account Access.

And this is after I've put it into a word document...

User avatar
PinkLemonade
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:54 pm

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby PinkLemonade » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:25 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:Anyone having a problem uploading the residency affidavit? I keep getting this error message:

An error has occurred processing your request.


Note: Use of your browser's navigational buttons may cause errors. Please use the navigational buttons provided within LSAC.org Account Access.

And this is after I've put it into a word document...

I printed the affidavit, filled it out by hand, scanned it, and uploaded a Word doc w/JPEGs in it. Sounds like I took the long route.

User avatar
ColtsFan88
Posts: 1432
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:05 pm

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby ColtsFan88 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:02 pm

PinkLemonade wrote:
ColtsFan88 wrote:Anyone having a problem uploading the residency affidavit? I keep getting this error message:

An error has occurred processing your request.


Note: Use of your browser's navigational buttons may cause errors. Please use the navigational buttons provided within LSAC.org Account Access.

And this is after I've put it into a word document...

I printed the affidavit, filled it out by hand, scanned it, and uploaded a Word doc w/JPEGs in it. Sounds like I took the long route.


No, thats exactly what I tried to do. Except when I try and upload the finished Word document, it gives me that error. Same thing today. Kinda annoying that we have this wonderful e-application setup, and IUB still makes us fill things out by hand and jump through hoops.

User avatar
Hopefully2012
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby Hopefully2012 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:52 pm

MillerTime12 wrote:
hal20 wrote:Anyone gone complete yet? I'm sitting on an Incomplete File from 9/15 and this is the only school I'm waiting on to go complete.


I've been incomplete since 9/16 and, like you, this is the only school that shows me as incomplete. I even emailed admissions a few days ago and asked if they needed something else from me, but I have yet to hear back.


+1 Apparently it's happening to a lot of us and they're just ignoring emails about it. I called the admissions office last Friday and they said they were aware of the issue. However, because it was fall break at the time, the receptionist said that hopefully they'll get it figured out sometime this week. She asked that I call back Tuesday if I'm still incomplete but work has been pretty busy this week so I haven't had a chance to call yet. If anyone else has the time, please give them a call and update us. Thanks.

I'll try to call them again tomorrow morning if it's slow at the office.

User avatar
oldad
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:11 am

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby oldad » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:11 pm

I finished my app on 9/15 and went complete on 9/27. Although, I did receive an email on 10/24 about the link to the Online Status Checker not working if that helps.

iowalum
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby iowalum » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:34 pm

Application done and ready to send, but unfortunately Oct. LSAT score was not what I needed... will submit after December! (hopefully) I seem to remember a lot of people with the right numbers getting good schollies all the way into Feb. though, so hopefully it will work out.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby TommyK » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:42 pm

iowalum wrote:Application done and ready to send, but unfortunately Oct. LSAT score was not what I needed... will submit after December! (hopefully) I seem to remember a lot of people with the right numbers getting good schollies all the way into Feb. though, so hopefully it will work out.


:( hang in there. I applied dec 28 last year and it didn't affect my cycle. Still plenty of time if you have all your other materials ready. Good luck!

Orhan
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby Orhan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:19 pm

Hi all,

Would someone mind giving me a rough idea of what you have to say in the mandatory residency affidavit? I'm in the process of gaining permanent residency and I should have it in jan or feb so I would rather do the domestic student application rather than the international one (more likely to get scholarship it seems). But would I get stuck having to provide info I don't currently have? I'm not currently living in the US so the residency form might cause issues. The annoying thing is I can't just look at either application and go back and choose the other instead - there's no going back on the LSAC app!

Thanks :)

tuco
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:07 pm

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby tuco » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:46 pm

Orhan wrote:Hi all,

Would someone mind giving me a rough idea of what you have to say in the mandatory residency affidavit? I'm in the process of gaining permanent residency and I should have it in jan or feb so I would rather do the domestic student application rather than the international one (more likely to get scholarship it seems). But would I get stuck having to provide info I don't currently have? I'm not currently living in the US so the residency form might cause issues. The annoying thing is I can't just look at either application and go back and choose the other instead - there's no going back on the LSAC app!

Thanks :)


Not sure what your asking exactly. The residency affadavit for IU Bloomington was very simple for me as an out of stater. Just basically put my name and address and signed it nothing out of the ordinary took me two minutes to fill out. I think you will be fine with very limited info so long as you are not declaring in state residency. Was kind of annoying that they didn't just have the in staters fill out the form no need to print, fill out, scan, and attach a file that could have been solving by checking the no box for residency. I'm rambing, but hope i helped...

Orhan
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby Orhan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:14 pm

Thanks, tuco. Basically just wanted to check that I didn't *have* to enter a permanent resident number or a permanent us address on the form

homegrown
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby homegrown » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:38 pm

For what it's worth, at the town hall meeting with the Dean this week, she mentioned that she wasn't happy with the number of students that have been admitted/decided to attend the last two cycles. The word they used was decruiting. Something like a dozen students took up the offer of full tuition for three years in exchange for not showing up this fall. So they are hoping for only 190 or so new admits this cycle.

There were several students who tried their best to make sure she saw how important smaller entering class size is. That said, she said numbers of applicants are down this year so far compared to the last cycles. IUB didn't drop last year the way so many did, but the drop appears to be affecting the school this year.

So she expects the class to be smaller with the median LSAT and GPA to be the same or slightly higher. She did mention obliquely the problems at UIUC. As President of the Association of American Law Schools this year, she has more of a pulse on things than most law school deans. She also said that Maurer admissions numbers were personally audited by her just to make sure there was/is no problem.

User avatar
hal20
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:48 am

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby hal20 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:47 am

Emailed about the status checker problem this morning and got a very quick response about there still being an issue that they're working on. Was told to email back next week if it isn't fixed by then.

User avatar
Hopefully2012
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby Hopefully2012 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:04 pm

hal20 wrote:Emailed about the status checker problem this morning and got a very quick response about there still being an issue that they're working on. Was told to email back next week if it isn't fixed by then.

Thanks for the update. I was going to call them today about this.

iowalum
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby iowalum » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:28 pm

homegrown wrote:For what it's worth, at the town hall meeting with the Dean this week, she mentioned that she wasn't happy with the number of students that have been admitted/decided to attend the last two cycles. The word they used was decruiting. Something like a dozen students took up the offer of full tuition for three years in exchange for not showing up this fall. So they are hoping for only 190 or so new admits this cycle.

There were several students who tried their best to make sure she saw how important smaller entering class size is. That said, she said numbers of applicants are down this year so far compared to the last cycles. IUB didn't drop last year the way so many did, but the drop appears to be affecting the school this year.

So she expects the class to be smaller with the median LSAT and GPA to be the same or slightly higher. She did mention obliquely the problems at UIUC. As President of the Association of American Law Schools this year, she has more of a pulse on things than most law school deans. She also said that Maurer admissions numbers were personally audited by her just to make sure there was/is no problem.


So this is generally bad news for those of us who have IU as a first choice? I know it depends on numbers, but a smaller class is not what I was hoping for.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby TommyK » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:24 am

homegrown wrote:For what it's worth, at the town hall meeting with the Dean this week, she mentioned that she wasn't happy with the number of students that have been admitted/decided to attend the last two cycles. The word they used was decruiting. Something like a dozen students took up the offer of full tuition for three years in exchange for not showing up this fall.


@homegrown - Weird. Any additional context to this statement? Were they frustrated at the students or the admissions committee approach? Because the adcomms last year took a pretty active role in trying to move some splitters from this year's class to next and doing some late recruiting of reverse-splitters to get their medians where they wanted.

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 am

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby Unagi » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:43 am

I submitted a fee waiver request last Tuesday and have not heard back. Has this happened to anyone else?

User avatar
Maye
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:42 pm

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby Maye » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:11 am

Unagi wrote:I submitted a fee waiver request last Tuesday and have not heard back. Has this happened to anyone else?

Me too. I emailed them, and they said they were looking into it, but nothing since.

User avatar
PinkLemonade
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:54 pm

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby PinkLemonade » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:23 pm

Maye wrote:
Unagi wrote:I submitted a fee waiver request last Tuesday and have not heard back. Has this happened to anyone else?

Me too. I emailed them, and they said they were looking into it, but nothing since.

I asked for a fee waiver mid-September and they took 4 days to send me one.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:39 pm

Update on the incomplete status issue... I submitted mid-September and went straight to incomplete pending October LSAT. I have been patiently waiting since scores came out for my status to change, but it still hasn't. I called in today and they confirmed over the phone they have my October LSAT and know there is an issue. I was told, however, the issue is not with IU-B, but with LSAC, as they are the ones that are responsible for updating the status checkers based on the information IU-B provides. I'm not sure how true this is, but they are very aware of the issue. I actually spoke with her for about 5 minutes because she wanted to know if any other schools I applied to were having issues because LSAC told her it was a system-wide issue. I let her know the truth: Most schools I applied to were updated within 2 days of October LSAT scores being released. She took my info down and told me to call her back on Monday if my online status checker still says pending LSAT score. I get the feeling that, even though the status checker isn't updated, they are still putting the actual files in the review area if they are complete... this is just my assumption based on the conversation I had... she neither confirmed nor denied this.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dala77, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Sisyphus9 and 7 guests