IU - Bloomington Class of 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
7ate9

New

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Post by 7ate9 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:53 pm

Just got in via e-mail! I was getting worried with the update yesterday and no e-mail, but I just heard. I'm OOS and was offered "full non-resident tuition," which sounds like 100% tuition. I was also offered to participate in the Summer Start program, also with "full-tuition award for the program."

I am very excited!!!!

ColtsFan88

Silver

Post by ColtsFan88 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:14 pm

In via email! 15,000 scholarship (total).

Cornelius

Silver

Post by Cornelius » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:14 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:In via email! 15,000 scholarship (total).
Congrats. Man, what's up with the disparity between last cycle and this cycle in terms of scholarship awards?

ColtsFan88

Silver

Post by ColtsFan88 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:20 pm

No idea. I was really hoping for one of those fill rides.

Englander742

Bronze

Post by Englander742 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:45 pm

In by e-mail!

Full in-state tuition + $3,000/yr stipend. I have a lot of thinking to do about this one!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

oldad

Bronze

Post by oldad » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:49 pm

In via email with a $5k/year scholarship. In state, 167/3.65. I'll be withdrawing soon.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:52 pm

what is Indiana doing? :x

Bmarce

Bronze

Post by Bmarce » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:58 pm

Gail wrote:what is Indiana doing? :x
I have no idea. This is like Jekyll and Hyde. What a difference a year makes. Its mind boggling, last cycle a lot of these people would have been full rides for sure.

oldad

Bronze

Post by oldad » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:04 pm

I believe some cultures refer to it as "suicide" or "self destruction."

I've been a Hoosier fan a long time and my sister's an alumnus, so it sucks to see them take one step forward last year and, assumedly, two steps backward now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bmarce

Bronze

Post by Bmarce » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:10 pm

oldad wrote:
I believe some cultures refer to it as "suicide" or "self destruction."

I've been a Hoosier fan a long time and my sister's an alumnus, so it sucks to see them take one step forward last year and, assumedly, two steps backward now.
Any explanations? Did they feel as if they over did it last year? How can they expect to keep their ranking if they cut their scholarship offers so much? Any ideas?

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:52 pm

Maybe their full rides weren't attracting as many people as they thought it would so now they're spreading their $$ across their target numbers (one or two points above medians) more broadly to make sure they'll matriculate. I think it's actually a good idea. Plus, I'm sure if someone with high numbers commits to IU-B... they'd be able to negotiate a substantial scholarship.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:06 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:Maybe their full rides weren't attracting as many people as they thought it would so now they're spreading their $$ across their target numbers (one or two points above medians) more broadly to make sure they'll matriculate. I think it's actually a good idea. Plus, I'm sure if someone with high numbers commits to IU-B... they'd be able to negotiate a substantial scholarship.
Really? You think that this is going to be a good strategy? Like there are tons of 167s and 168s that are going to be excited about something like 50k a year (that includes the 10k scholarships they're offering) and precisely 10% chance at a chance at biglaw to repay it all while in the state of Indiana?

Because I don't think that's a good idea.

If they abandon the 120k deal, they'll be in TT by the time the next rankings come around.

oldad

Bronze

Post by oldad » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:24 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:Maybe their full rides weren't attracting as many people as they thought it would so now they're spreading their $$ across their target numbers (one or two points above medians) more broadly to make sure they'll matriculate. I think it's actually a good idea. Plus, I'm sure if someone with high numbers commits to IU-B... they'd be able to negotiate a substantial scholarship.
They offered a 170/2.99, a 170/3.5, a 174/3.5, and a 167/3.7 with $10k/year. If the full rides didn't work last year, I just don't see why offers worth 1/4 of OOS tuition would bring anyone in their right mind to IU-B.

I think making the big offers was their only chance to climb upward, and, apparently, they didn't heed the donor's warning: "don't spend that all in one place." :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

btw384

Bronze

Post by btw384 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:31 pm

Gail wrote:
Really? You think that this is going to be a good strategy? Like there are tons of 167s and 168s that are going to be excited about something like 50k a year (that includes the 10k scholarships they're offering) and precisely 10% chance at a chance at biglaw to repay it all while in the state of Indiana?

If they abandon the 120k deal, they'll be in TT by the time the next rankings come around.
I agree to some extent. I think their ranking is a bit fluffed at the moment anyway. They are a solid regional school, and they need to be ranked as such (upper 20s-lower 30s). If you look at the other regional schools in that area of the rankings (i.e. Iowa, Alabama, Georgia), they all either have much lower OOS tuition or offer significant scholarships. IMO, it will be tough to remain competitive unless they either keep scholarships at competitive levels or lower tuition (which is not happening).

oldad

Bronze

Post by oldad » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:35 pm

Lol, off topic slightly, but did anyone else notice the "ssatisfactory" typo in the acceptance letter?

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:38 pm

IIRC, there are many highly qualified (#'s) full scholly students in c/o 2015 whom were accepted last cycle but deferred

cedarseoul

New

Post by cedarseoul » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:39 pm

I'm in with full non-res tuition. I'm really surprised. Based on their 166 median last year, I was certain I'd be passed over for a full ride.
My uGPA was high, but still...
The only stipulation is "satisfactory progress." That's very appealing to me...

I had been leaning toward MSU, but I think the decision will be pretty easy now.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:41 pm

btw384 wrote: I agree to some extent. I think their ranking is a bit fluffed at the moment anyway. They are a solid regional school, and they need to be ranked as such (upper 20s-lower 30s). If you look at the other regional schools in that area of the rankings (i.e. Iowa, Alabama, Georgia), they all either have much lower OOS tuition or offer significant scholarships. IMO, it will be tough to remain competitive unless they either keep scholarships at competitive levels or lower tuition (which is not happening).
I don't even know about that. Their* region is really not very big and has 2 other schools in the state. Indiana gives you literally almost no chance at biglaw money, so you can't possibly justify paying anything close to sticker. It needs to be like 25k total or nothing, because you'll be working small law or government making like 45-60k a year.

And I'm not even someone obsessed with biglaw. I'd like small law or government, myself (hate work, all work, would hate to work more than 40 hours a week). But to justify that, you need to be spending next to nothing for your degree.

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:58 pm

Gail wrote:

You're probably right.

oldad wrote:Lol, off topic slightly, but did anyone else notice the "ssatisfactory" typo in the acceptance letter?
+1... so many typos this cycle (not just from IU-B).

Englander742

Bronze

Post by Englander742 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:33 pm

Gail wrote:
btw384 wrote: I agree to some extent. I think their ranking is a bit fluffed at the moment anyway. They are a solid regional school, and they need to be ranked as such (upper 20s-lower 30s). If you look at the other regional schools in that area of the rankings (i.e. Iowa, Alabama, Georgia), they all either have much lower OOS tuition or offer significant scholarships. IMO, it will be tough to remain competitive unless they either keep scholarships at competitive levels or lower tuition (which is not happening).
I don't even know about that. Their* region is really not very big and has 2 other schools in the state. Indiana gives you literally almost no chance at biglaw money, so you can't possibly justify paying anything close to sticker. It needs to be like 25k total or nothing, because you'll be working small law or government making like 45-60k a year.

And I'm not even someone obsessed with biglaw. I'd like small law or government, myself (hate work, all work, would hate to work more than 40 hours a week). But to justify that, you need to be spending next to nothing for your degree.
There are actually 3 other schools in Indiana. IU-Indy, ND, and Valpo.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:15 pm

nucky thompson wrote:IIRC, there are many highly qualified (#'s) full scholly students in c/o 2015 whom were accepted last cycle but deferred
This sounds like a plausible reason. They deferred a number of splitters from last year, so maybe their approach of giving a lower scholarship to applicants > 75th LSAT, but < median uGPA is an attempt to have a balanced recruiting class since they already have a good start on achieving their LSAT median.

So maybe this year will be the year when they accept the high GPA early and throw around a couple big schollies at high LSATs as the cycle winds to a close.

Congrats to those that have received good news recently.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:07 pm

Just got a phone call from them (around 8:30 PM) asking if I had received their fee waiver and if I was going to apply. Found that to be a bit odd because I have never expressed interest before.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:24 pm

TommyK wrote:
nucky thompson wrote:IIRC, there are many highly qualified (#'s) full scholly students in c/o 2015 whom were accepted last cycle but deferred
This sounds like a plausible reason. They deferred a number of splitters from last year, so maybe their approach of giving a lower scholarship to applicants > 75th LSAT, but < median uGPA is an attempt to have a balanced recruiting class since they already have a good start on achieving their LSAT median.

So maybe this year will be the year when they accept the high GPA early and throw around a couple big schollies at high LSATs as the cycle winds to a close.

Congrats to those that have received good news recently.
Oh swell. My birth year fails me again.

T00L

Silver

Post by T00L » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:17 am

In. 10k/y. Last year, I got full and stipend. My butt hurts.

BeerMaker

Bronze

Post by BeerMaker » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:08 pm

Screw Bloomington! They will be sorry about all of this. No way I'm going to this school without a full scholly. What do you predict for a drop in ranking? I will say 35 by next year and into the 40's the following. IU, have fun being swallowed up by the likes of PSU and MSU because they're gunning for your spot and are much more generous with scholarships.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”