Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CBC
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby CBC » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:55 pm

I've not had any updates to my application status since my application was complete after a Feb LSAT score. I've decided not to enroll in law school this fall. (Not because I've not heard back, but for work-related reasons.) Should I withdraw my application in the hopes of having a better shot at the start of the application cycle next fall? Or should I just wait to see what happens?

Does anyone have any advice on this?

User avatar
ned
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ned » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:17 pm

CBC wrote:I've not had any updates to my application status since my application was complete after a Feb LSAT score. I've decided not to enroll in law school this fall. (Not because I've not heard back, but for work-related reasons.) Should I withdraw my application in the hopes of having a better shot at the start of the application cycle next fall? Or should I just wait to see what happens?

Does anyone have any advice on this?


If you're not going to attend, you should withdraw.

CBC
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby CBC » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:38 pm

ned wrote:
CBC wrote:I've not had any updates to my application status since my application was complete after a Feb LSAT score. I've decided not to enroll in law school this fall. (Not because I've not heard back, but for work-related reasons.) Should I withdraw my application in the hopes of having a better shot at the start of the application cycle next fall? Or should I just wait to see what happens?

Does anyone have any advice on this?


If you're not going to attend, you should withdraw.


Couldn't I just request to defer if admitted? Or is that a bad idea for some reason?

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:49 pm

It's pretty rare to get a deferral.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:51 pm

It's pretty rare to get a deferral.

User avatar
ned
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ned » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:37 pm

CBC wrote:
ned wrote:
CBC wrote:I've not had any updates to my application status since my application was complete after a Feb LSAT score. I've decided not to enroll in law school this fall. (Not because I've not heard back, but for work-related reasons.) Should I withdraw my application in the hopes of having a better shot at the start of the application cycle next fall? Or should I just wait to see what happens?

Does anyone have any advice on this?


If you're not going to attend, you should withdraw.


Couldn't I just request to defer if admitted? Or is that a bad idea for some reason?


If you're admitted from the WL, you can't defer. If you're a regular admit, you can defer but you need a good reason. Your job situation may or may not be considered a good reason, depending on specifics. So if you're an academic and you won a once in a lifetime fellowship, that's a good reason. Medical/Family emergency? good reason too. Boss wants you to keep working on an important project, or things picking up and you don't want to miss out on some good earnings? Not good reasons, probably can't defer.

CBC
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby CBC » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'd suspect my reasons aren't unusual enough to warrant a deferral, and, in any case, I'd suspect my chances for admission would be greater at the start of next year's application cycle than they are at this point in this year's.

Would withdrawing this year's app negatively impact next year's application?

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5717
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby BVest » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:32 pm

Dinged on Friday. Not terribly surprised.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:40 am

CBC wrote:Would withdrawing this year's app negatively impact next year's application?


Maybe. "Why apply if you didn't plan to attend"?

I say definitely withdraw if you don't plan on accepting an offer if it is made to you. If you would still accept, stay on.

CBC
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby CBC » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:37 am

Blumpbeef wrote:
CBC wrote:Would withdrawing this year's app negatively impact next year's application?


Maybe. "Why apply if you didn't plan to attend"?

I say definitely withdraw if you don't plan on accepting an offer if it is made to you. If you would still accept, stay on.


I applied because I thought I could attend. I'm an older student, who is married and owns a house several states away from DC. The housing market appeared to be picking up so selling seemed possible, but it is now clear that we wouldn't be able to sell for what we owe. The rental market is saturated, so we can't rent the house for enough to cover the mortgage payment. I can't pay the mortgage without keeping a job. My husband is in his last year in a graduate program, so he'll be able to work next year, if we still can't sell the house by then.

As I said before, not terribly unusual circumstances in this economy, so it wouldn't be likely to yield a deferral.

User avatar
ned
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ned » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:55 am

CBC wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:
CBC wrote:Would withdrawing this year's app negatively impact next year's application?


Maybe. "Why apply if you didn't plan to attend"?

I say definitely withdraw if you don't plan on accepting an offer if it is made to you. If you would still accept, stay on.


I applied because I thought I could attend. I'm an older student, who is married and owns a house several states away from DC. The housing market appeared to be picking up so selling seemed possible, but it is now clear that we wouldn't be able to sell for what we owe. The rental market is saturated, so we can't rent the house for enough to cover the mortgage payment. I can't pay the mortgage without keeping a job. My husband is in his last year in a graduate program, so he'll be able to work next year, if we still can't sell the house by then.

As I said before, not terribly unusual circumstances in this economy, so it wouldn't be likely to yield a deferral.


You can withdraw without consequences. I suggest asking admissions if an explanation might be helpful. If yes, provide a reasonable explanation. Didn't want to leave employer high and dry, partner wanted more time before relocating, needed to save more money before starting school, etc..

User avatar
unchartered
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:07 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby unchartered » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:50 am

CBC,

I think you should contact admissions directly (i.e. email Alison Spada or Erica Smith) before submitting your formal withdrawal. After all, their opinion is the only opinion that truly matters.

superjohnnnn
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby superjohnnnn » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:46 pm

BVest wrote:Dinged on Friday. Not terribly surprised.


I am. That you were dinged before I was. Still no word from these cats.

CBC
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby CBC » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:51 pm

unchartered wrote:CBC,

I think you should contact admissions directly (i.e. email Alison Spada or Erica Smith) before submitting your formal withdrawal. After all, their opinion is the only opinion that truly matters.


Thanks everyone. I called, and they said that withdrawing my application this year would in no way bear on next year's application.

User avatar
foxylaxy
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby foxylaxy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:28 pm

Withdrew today, with "dean's grant?" That money and my spot will go to one of you :) Good luck!

DCLaw1248
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby DCLaw1248 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:21 pm

big day today... deposit dayyy

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:54 pm

Will be withdrawing

brookedonphonics
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:18 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby brookedonphonics » Wed May 02, 2012 6:02 pm

Deposit received! Barring love from NYU, I'm going to Georgetown! Hope I get housing...

User avatar
westcoast
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby westcoast » Wed May 02, 2012 8:29 pm

brookedonphonics wrote:Deposit received! Barring love from NYU, I'm going to Georgetown! Hope I get housing...


Congrats!

imjustjoking22
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:46 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby imjustjoking22 » Sat May 05, 2012 12:40 am

foxylaxy wrote:Withdrew today, with "dean's grant?" That money and my spot will go to one of you :) Good luck!


That's not how it works ;)

User avatar
lgleye
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lgleye » Sun May 06, 2012 7:30 pm

.
Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Unagi » Mon May 14, 2012 1:33 pm

Does anyone know how much is the total COA for Georgetown? They don't have it on their website...

User avatar
luxxe
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:12 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby luxxe » Mon May 14, 2012 1:47 pm

Unagi wrote:Does anyone know how much is the total COA for Georgetown? They don't have it on their website...


Yes they do.
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/finaid/fo ... t12-13.pdf

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Unagi » Mon May 14, 2012 2:05 pm

luxxe wrote:
Unagi wrote:Does anyone know how much is the total COA for Georgetown? They don't have it on their website...


Yes they do.
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/finaid/fo ... t12-13.pdf


Thaaaank you!!!

jackel25
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jackel25 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:02 am

I feel like everyone and their mother is on the georgetown waitlist




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Chipotle85, Google Adsense [Bot], harmcharm, hellohalo, hip to be Square, Rich Uncle Skeleton, Smc1994, studyingeveryday and 19 guests