Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hipstermafia

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby hipstermafia » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:20 pm

applesoranges123 wrote:I heard that Georgetown is planning on cutting its class size for next year? (Not sure if this is true so please don't panic ppl!) Can anyone confirm this? Apparently it was stated in the school newspaper or something...Also why are people talking about addressing LOCIs to Dean Cornblatt..I thought Treanor is the dean now..

I haven't heard this, but that doesn't mean it's not true. The newspaper's website is here: --LinkRemoved-- if you want to do some searching. Last year the overall class size was smaller because the size of the part time program went from 120 to 70, i believe full time enrollment was up by 15 or so students over the previous year. That being said, a lot of law schools have been seeing smaller enrollment numbers so I wouldn't be surprised if the class ends up being smaller. I don't know whether at those schools there was a goal to enroll fewer students or simply fewer students are enrolling in law school.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:26 pm

The person that interviewed me said "This interview won't impact your admissions decision, it's just an opportunity for you to learn more about GULC"
I realize this contradicts what GULC says about its alumni intervews, so not sure what to make of that statement

avd90

Postby avd90 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:27 pm

Geneva wrote:The person that interviewed me said "This interview won't impact your admissions decision, it's just an opportunity for you to learn more about GULC"
I realize this contradicts what GULC says about its alumni intervews, so not sure what to make of that statement

Maybe they were trying to make you feel more at ease?

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:28 pm

avd90 wrote:This, of course, is before I realized all the negative aspects of GULC's reputation.

I love the school and I am really considering it but I have yet to hear from 12 schools... (I had fee waivers, do not judge). Maybe I should hold off seriously considering anything at this point in my cycle, but I ask you guys.. why does GTOWN get such a bad rep. GTOWN is so highly ranked for international law, but why does nearly everyone here tell me not to even consider it?

HELP

I have never heard anyone hate on georgetown outside of TLS. I think Georgetown gets a lot of shit on here because not all georgetown students want to go into big law (ask yourselves if this is really a bad thing) and some people hate the idea of going to school in a city. I've never understood the TLS attitude toward Georgetown.

edit to say georgetown is certainly not the right school for everyone, if you don't want to go to school in a city or you want to go to school where everyone is gunning for big law there are plenty of other options available to you. But everyone else, visit the school and judge it for yourself before believing the tls hate :)
Last edited by hipstermafia on Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:31 pm

avd90 wrote:
Geneva wrote:The person that interviewed me said "This interview won't impact your admissions decision, it's just an opportunity for you to learn more about GULC"

Maybe. I also felt like the interviewer was trying to sell GULC to me as much as I was trying to sell myself to her...has anyone else had a similar experience? I enjoyed the interview and it was useful. Gtown alumni friends I've talked to have said the interviews are "to make sure you aren't a crazy person"--so maybe that is indeed the case

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:31 pm

avd90 wrote: This, of course, is before I realized all the negative aspects of GULC's reputation.

Clear indicator that you need to spend less time on TLS :).

If you want to do biglaw, it might make sense to go to a higher ranked school that traditionally places more of its class into biglaw. TLS is seriously biglaw-biased and if you are looking to do PI your school considerations change drastically (outside of HYS, maybe CCN). I, and my friends at GULC share this opinion (though we are all biased), think that the "low" portion of GULC grads that go into biglaw has a LOT to do with the type of people that want to come to law school in DC. GULC still placed 300+ people into biglaw last year (according to ASW haha) so... that is most of the class.

lemon7

Postby lemon7 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:05 pm

Geneva wrote:
avd90 wrote:

Maybe. I also felt like the interviewer was trying to sell GULC to me as much as I was trying to sell myself to her...has anyone else had a similar experience? I enjoyed the interview and it was useful. Gtown alumni friends I've talked to have said the interviews are "to make sure you aren't a crazy person"--so maybe that is indeed the case

Interesting experience, Geneva. My interviewer was great. She was very candid about her experiences at Georgetown, but I didn't feel like she was trying to sell it as much as my interviewers at Northwestern or Vandy were. She also mentioned the evaluation of me she had to fill out, so the interviews must have some weight, right? Then again, everyone on here talks about how well the interview went, so maybe it just doesn't carry as much weight as it would at, say, Northwestern.

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:12 pm

lemon7 wrote:
Geneva wrote:
avd90 wrote:

Interesting experience, Geneva. My interviewer was great. She was very candid about her experiences at Georgetown, but I didn't feel like she was trying to sell it as much as my interviewers at Northwestern or Vandy were. She also mentioned the evaluation of me she had to fill out, so the interviews must have some weight, right? Then again, everyone on here talks about how well the interview went, so maybe it just doesn't carry as much weight as it would at, say, Northwestern.

Ya there is an evaluation and it carries some weight. My interviewer told me that they are aiming to admit 40-60% of the people interviewed. The interviews aren't designed to be high pressure and I think that the interviewers will be honest but, of course, will tend to be people with positive things to say about GULC.

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:16 pm

Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

westcoast

Postby westcoast » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:16 pm

I had a similar experience. But I hope the interview carries weight because I thought it went well.

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:36 pm

westcoast wrote:

I had a similar experience. But I hope the interview carries weight because I thought it went well.

My interviewer told me he was going to head home and fill out his form, and basically told me I was in. Generated a password a week later, so I think they can definitely carry weight, unless it was pure coincidence.

applesoranges123

Postby applesoranges123 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:49 pm

Apparently this cycle is seeing a lot less applicants, and if you look at Gtown on LSN, this cycle is definitely looking less competitive than previous ones...so i guess thats good news for people! :) (although i dont know how representative LSN really is)...they're prob also gonna try to guard their medians, so i dont know how significant of an impact less apps would make...

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:33 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:
westcoast wrote:

My interviewer told me he was going to head home and fill out his form, and basically told me I was in. Generated a password a week later, so I think they can definitely carry weight, unless it was pure coincidence.

I agree with this. My interviewer said the same thing, and showed me the super secret form that she was required to submit. I was accepted within a week as well. Really though, I couldn't have asked for a more serendipitous interview. My interviewer had a brother who went to the same undergrad as I did (one of the service academies), and dropped out because he thought it was too hard. He then went to Princeton and flourished and is now a bazillionaire, so she had a very high regard for the school, and I would say 95% of the interview was spent talking about the academy. It really was funny, and the misperception is rampant. People I meet are consistently under the impression that 4 years at a service academy is much more difficult than, say, a year in Afghanistan. She definitely was fell in that category.

So, yes, the interview is important. Stand out as best you can (in a good way). One of the things they need to comment on is how you compare to the alum's classmates in a number of categories. I also know that there are several items dealing with maturity, so convey that as best you can, especially if you are still in school.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:36 pm

EMZE wrote:
imjustjoking22 wrote:
westcoast wrote:

I agree with this. My interviewer said the same thing, and showed me the super secret form that she was required to submit. I was accepted within a week as well.

This is really interesting. My interviewer acted like I was already accepted even though I obviously am not. ON the other hand, she told me I was the 3rd interview she's ever done. Hm

brogoc

Postby brogoc » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:15 pm

Just got accepted from the preferred WL/special group by mail. Nice. Wasn't expecting that.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:19 pm

Congrats.

Do the interviewers have access to your file beforehand or do they rely only on the information you send them?

utilityname

Postby utilityname » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:28 pm

avd90 wrote:This, of course, is before I realized all the negative aspects of GULC's reputation.

I love the school and I am really considering it but I have yet to hear from 12 schools... (I had fee waivers, do not judge). Maybe I should hold off seriously considering anything at this point in my cycle, but I ask you guys.. why does GTOWN get such a bad rep. GTOWN is so highly ranked for international law, but why does nearly everyone here tell me not to even consider it?

HELP

I would really take things you read on Internet forums with a dose of salt. Put more stock in news sources and other published info.

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr ... aw-schools

Just try keep all the facts in perspective before you pass on a school like GULC b/c of its "negative reputation" on TLS.

Also, based on conversations with friends at GULC, self-selection (ie government/PI) and the part time program play a huge role in BigLaw numbers, which are still outstanding. A lot of people there just have other aims. I guess this might hurt someone going for biglaw since they would be competing for grades against people who aren't going into biglaw, but that's true whether your peers are going for biglaw or PI anyway. Might see percentages tick up if the class size gets smaller, or as the economy improves.

I actually think the class size is an asset. I'd rather have the market flooded with my school's grads than someone else's! :-)

We shall see!
Last edited by utilityname on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

brogoc

Postby brogoc » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:34 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:Congrats.

Do the interviewers have access to your file beforehand or do they rely only on the information you send them?

not sure, I didn't interview

utilityname

Postby utilityname » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:53 pm

brogoc wrote:

not sure, I didn't interview

I don't think so. I was wondering the same thing, but I said a few things at my interview that would have been obvious from my file and her body language told me she had no idea. My feeling about the interview is that g town wants to admit you, and either they're buying time due to an app flood or they aren't sure you'll go if they admit you. If you're unsure, kill it at your interview and send a 1 paragraph loci about your interview was and reiterate why you want GULC.

eaper

Postby eaper » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:17 am

No info. They want it to be as unbaised as possible.

NJDevilsfan

Postby NJDevilsfan » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:44 am

So what is the deal with generating a username? a) how do we go about it, and b) what is the significance?

hooma

Postby hooma » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:45 pm

NJDevilsfan wrote:So what is the deal with generating a username? a) how do we go about it, and b) what is the significance?

Go to the admitted students login page and click no password. Enter your last name and email address and if they email you login credentials you have been admitted and will likely receive a letter about a week later.

QueMellow

Postby QueMellow » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:47 pm

NJDevilsfan wrote:So what is the deal with generating a username? a) how do we go about it, and b) what is the significance?

a) Google 'Georgetown Law admitted student website' and click 'Do not have a password'. They'll ask for your last name and email address. When you give them, you'll be emailed a username and password to log into the website. It won't work for a week or so, though.
b) You are in! Congrats!

QueMellow

Postby QueMellow » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:48 pm

hooma wrote:

Go to the admitted students login page and click no password. Enter your last name and email address and if they email you login credentials you have been admitted and will likely receive a letter about a week later.

What she said.

akronite08

Postby akronite08 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:38 pm

Any thoughts on submitting a LOCI after you've had the alumnus interview? The information gleaned from faculty at a recent visit to GULC and the interview really did solidify its status as my top choice, and that's basically what I'd tell them.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”