Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ColtsFan88

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ColtsFan88 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:30 pm

I just updated again after being placed on the Preferred Waitlist. I think its either them adding my LOCI to my file or that they've decided to admit me.

Anyone have any experience with status updates after being placed on a waitlist? Has anyone been admitted of the waitlist yet?

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:44 pm

mijenks wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:But as far as decisions go... I haven't seen many green triangles that really surprise me. Thus far, the green areas of the graphs I'm watching don't seem to be moving downward or leftward from previous years. Maybe (hopefully) as schools start rendering more decisions this will change, and we'll see the effect more, but as of now, I don't think I'm seeing it.

Seeing it at GULC. Comparing 11/12 to 10/11, notice all the greens that are 3.7+ but below 168. A lot of non-URMs with 3.75/164-168 greens that were yellows or reds in 10/11. Also notice that, sub-3.7, the LSAT cutoff was 170 in 10/11 while it looks to be 169 or 168 in 11/12.

Regarding this - actually yeah, I see what you mean.

eads wrote:Just get over it...WHO REALLY CARES WHY YOU GET ADMITTED TO GULC, OR EVEN HARVARD? For what we know, most (roughly 80%) of the people who get the offer from GULC will not attend...anyway

So just be happy and grateful...

Regarding this - I'm totally happy and grateful! My concern is not just about why I got admitted to GULC. Beyond that, I am very curious about how this will affect my application to a number of schools I am still waiting to hear from. If GULC is a leading indicator of what we can expect from other schools, then that's important to me on a non-trivial level.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:47 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
mijenks wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:But as far as decisions go... I haven't seen many green triangles that really surprise me. Thus far, the green areas of the graphs I'm watching don't seem to be moving downward or leftward from previous years. Maybe (hopefully) as schools start rendering more decisions this will change, and we'll see the effect more, but as of now, I don't think I'm seeing it.

Seeing it at GULC. Comparing 11/12 to 10/11, notice all the greens that are 3.7+ but below 168. A lot of non-URMs with 3.75/164-168 greens that were yellows or reds in 10/11. Also notice that, sub-3.7, the LSAT cutoff was 170 in 10/11 while it looks to be 169 or 168 in 11/12.

Regarding this - actually yeah, I see what you mean.

eads wrote:Just get over it...WHO REALLY CARES WHY YOU GET ADMITTED TO GULC, OR EVEN HARVARD? For what we know, most (roughly 80%) of the people who get the offer from GULC will not attend...anyway

So just be happy and grateful...

Regarding this - I'm totally happy and grateful! My concern is not just about why I got admitted to GULC. Beyond that, I am very curious about how this will affect my application to a number of schools I am still waiting to hear from. If GULC is a leading indicator of what we can expect from other schools, then that's important to me on a non-trivial level.

I feel the same way

Redclh

Postby Redclh » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:52 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:I just updated again after being placed on the Preferred Waitlist. I think its either them adding my LOCI to my file or that they've decided to admit me.

Anyone have any experience with status updates after being placed on a waitlist? Has anyone been admitted of the waitlist yet?

Yeah, I got placed on the preferred waitlist at the beginning of the year, and then about a week later my status updated again. I didn't send them anything else, so I don't really know what the update was for, but I have not had any correspondence from them since the update.

eads

Postby eads » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:01 pm

So just be happy and grateful...[/quote]
Regarding this - I'm totally happy and grateful! My concern is not just about why I got admitted to GULC. Beyond that, I am very curious about how this will affect my application to a number of schools I am still waiting to hear from. If GULC is a leading indicator of what we can expect from other schools, then that's important to me on a non-trivial level.[/quote]

The same talent pool who applied to GULC, would likely apply to other higher-ranked T14. I think the trend is real. For the 2010 entering class, they experienced the worst job market, and naturally they choose to go to Graduate Schools. Therefore, that year enjoyed the record high number of applicants. After two years of so-called economy recovery, along with the burst of the "law school bubble" (about $200K debt, and reality of less than 6 figure salary after graduation if locating a job at all), it is no surprise that the number of applicants dropped signicantly (For GULC, 19% drop last year, and seemingly another +20% drop this year). The Deans of Admission would argue although the absolute number is dropping, the number of high-quality applicants drops at a much lower pace :-). We will see.

gthopeful

Postby gthopeful » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:04 pm

Does anybody that can remember care to tell me how long it took them to go complete ive been sitting at received for two days now...im just ready to get my three weeks for ed over with

benito

Postby benito » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:17 pm

gthopeful wrote:Does anybody that can remember care to tell me how long it took them to go complete ive been sitting at received for two days now...im just ready to get my three weeks for ed over with

The first time I went complete was about ten days after I submitted (I think) when I received an interview request, which kind of blows up the 3 week timer cause it takes awhile to set up and your app isn't considered fully complete until they receive the evaluation from the interviewer. But if you don't get a request you'll go complete for the first time around the end of first week id think, give or take a few days... good luck!

gthopeful

Postby gthopeful » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:21 pm

benito wrote:
gthopeful wrote:Does anybody that can remember care to tell me how long it took them to go complete ive been sitting at received for two days now...im just ready to get my three weeks for ed over with

The first time I went complete was about ten days after I submitted (I think) when I received an interview request, which kind of blows up the 3 week timer cause it takes awhile to set up and your app isn't considered fully complete until they receive the evaluation from the interviewer. But if you don't get a request you'll go complete for the first time around the end of first week id think, give or take a few days... good luck!

ok i dont feel so bad then

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:22 pm

tennisballs wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:
johnkim1982 wrote:
I also was special preferred waitlisted today.

LSAT: 177
LSAC GPA: 3.88

Non-traditional applicant - submitted 12/2.

I couldn't believe it.

Nice and misleading email there, Georgetown!

"Applicants on the Preferred Waiting List are among those we would like to include in our first year class. These applicants have the strongest credentials of all waiting list candidates and, as a result, receive priority consideration if spaces become available."

Yeah, strongest credentials of all, except those in the special group. So, no not really the strongest credentials.

Are they doing "special" preferred this year?

apparently. check the guy i quoted.

lawschoolgal12

Postby lawschoolgal12 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:14 pm

anyone else interview the last week of december (after submitting mid-november)? have you heard anything? i've still got nothing...

mithriliel

Postby mithriliel » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:43 pm

lawschoolgal12 wrote:anyone else interview the last week of december (after submitting mid-november)? have you heard anything? i've still got nothing...

Sounds like i'm exactly you, lawschoolgal... submitted in October but didn't go complete until mid/end of nov (how much do you hate LORs???) then I did an interview last week of december (group interview w/ Dean Cornblatt, was yours group or alum?). I just saw today that I updated yesterday (1/18) after having nothing since 12/9. Think our set of interviews might finally be getting the decisions???

MikeTheWilliams

Postby MikeTheWilliams » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:18 am

I have a group interview with the dean next week. What does this mean for my application? Does everyone get offered an interview? Will an interview make my decision happen sooner? I've been Complete since mid-December.
Thanks!

eaper

Postby eaper » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:37 am

MikeTheWilliams wrote:I have a group interview with the dean next week. What does this mean for my application? Does everyone get offered an interview? Will an interview make my decision happen sooner? I've been Complete since mid-December.
Thanks!

It happens if you are a borderline candidate, usually. I don't know the difference between group, individual, dean, and alumni interviews (had an alumni interview in person, but she worked in Dallas, so it wasn't too far from my parent's house), but I don't know what it does to overall time till the decision. Probably depends on how well the interview went.

MikeTheWilliams

Postby MikeTheWilliams » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:25 am

eaper wrote:
MikeTheWilliams wrote:I have a group interview with the dean next week. What does this mean for my application? Does everyone get offered an interview? Will an interview make my decision happen sooner? I've been Complete since mid-December.
Thanks!

It happens if you are a borderline candidate, usually. I don't know the difference between group, individual, dean, and alumni interviews (had an alumni interview in person, but she worked in Dallas, so it wasn't too far from my parent's house), but I don't know what it does to overall time till the decision. Probably depends on how well the interview went.

So if I want a quick decision, I should make sure the interview goes quickly? :P

FavoriteColorGRUE

Postby FavoriteColorGRUE » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:18 pm

Just wanted to report back that I participated in a group interview with the Dean yesterday evening in DC, and I have to say, I was really impressed by how awesomely friendly and good natured everyone in the group was! I was pretty nervous going into it, and was pleasantly surprised what a positive experience it was (it was fun!). I hope that helps to calm the nerves for those with upcoming interviews!

lawschoolgal12

Postby lawschoolgal12 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:34 pm

mithriliel wrote:
lawschoolgal12 wrote:anyone else interview the last week of december (after submitting mid-november)? have you heard anything? i've still got nothing...

Sounds like i'm exactly you, lawschoolgal... submitted in October but didn't go complete until mid/end of nov (how much do you hate LORs???) then I did an interview last week of december (group interview w/ Dean Cornblatt, was yours group or alum?). I just saw today that I updated yesterday (1/18) after having nothing since 12/9. Think our set of interviews might finally be getting the decisions???

I had the same 1/18 update...really hoping to hear something soon! At my interview (also a group interview w/ Dean Cornblatt) we were told that we'd be hearing decisions in 1-2 weeks...after 3 i'm starting to go a little crazy!

vguerra

Postby vguerra » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:57 pm

FavoriteColorGRUE wrote:Just wanted to report back that I participated in a group interview with the Dean yesterday evening in DC, and I have to say, I was really impressed by how awesomely friendly and good natured everyone in the group was! I was pretty nervous going into it, and was pleasantly surprised what a positive experience it was (it was fun!). I hope that helps to calm the nerves for those with upcoming interviews!

Thanks for posting! I have a group interview in a little over a week, very nervous and very excited

eaper

Postby eaper » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:35 pm

MikeTheWilliams wrote:
eaper wrote:
Thanks!

So if I want a quick decision, I should make sure the interview goes quickly? :P

haha, well, the earlier you do it the earlier you can get your decision. Also, if it goes really well, it'll probably speed things up. I think the interviewer has a week or two to turn in the evaluation of the interview, then you get a status update when that gets turned in. I got my answer soon after that (holidays mucked things up, but it was pretty quick).

XCanadian91

Postby XCanadian91 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:16 pm

My address updated (changing from abbreviations like ST to Street), citizenship went to USA, and complete date changed to 1/18 but I still cannot get a ASW username and password... Any thoughts?

eaper

Postby eaper » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:17 pm

XCanadian91 wrote:My address updated (changing from abbreviations like ST to Street), citizenship went to USA, and complete date changed to 1/18 but I still cannot get a ASW username and password... Any thoughts?

I think they updated that for me one update before I could get onto ASW? Could be wrong about this, though,

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:18 pm

XCanadian91 wrote:My address updated (changing from abbreviations like ST to Street), citizenship went to USA, and complete date changed to 1/18 but I still cannot get a ASW username and password... Any thoughts?

Mine did all that about a week before I received my acceptance letter. I was accepted before the ASW page was working though

XCanadian91

Postby XCanadian91 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:22 pm

msblaw89 wrote:

eaper wrote:

I think they updated that for me one update before I could get onto ASW? Could be wrong about this, though,

Mine did all that about a week before I received my acceptance letter. I was accepted before the ASW page was working though

Rock on. Thanks guys for the LIGHTNING FAST response...

Might it be a little premature to pop the cork? But I think I'm going to anyway... Even if it is a theoretical admit, it is the closest I've come thus far in the cycle.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:24 pm

FWIW, mine did that before I was given a username/pwd as well. however, I sitll can't use the UN/PWD yet, and it's been 3 days...annoying/anxiety-inducing!!! Hopefully I'll have access by Monday...

eaper

Postby eaper » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:25 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:FWIW, mine did that before I was given a username/pwd as well. however, I sitll can't use the UN/PWD yet, and it's been 3 days...annoying/anxiety-inducing!!! Hopefully I'll have access by Monday...

Just one more day (Dunno how weekends work with it)! 4 days is the standard lag time! d(^.^)

gthopeful

Postby gthopeful » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:32 pm

I just want to go COMPLETE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”