Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2914
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:12 pm

benito wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
jrthor10 wrote:FYI: Dean Cornblatt just said on a call with tfa corps members that they have around 6,000 applicants so far this year. They had 12,000 last year


Oh, how was that? I had a meeting and couldn't do it.

Also: daaamn. So that's why I got in.


my thoughts exactly......and I was feeling so proud


I know, right? A hit to the ego.

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cogitoergosum » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:04 pm

jrthor10 wrote:FYI: Dean Cornblatt just said on a call with tfa corps members that they have around 6,000 applicants so far this year. They had 12,000 last year

Uhh... Wow...

User avatar
Worker and Parasite
Posts: 360
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Worker and Parasite » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:09 pm

blech wrote:2.78/171

Originally an ED applicant
Did an interview
Decided I no longer wanted to be ED
Called them up, they switched me to RD

In!

Unexpected but I don't think I'll be attending anyway.

Congrats to everyone else whose gotten in and good luck to those still waiting.


oooh you're playing hard to get! that is such a pro-law school admissions tactic

tom2189 wrote:
Worker and Parasite wrote:Preferred WListed

Did anyone get Special-Preferred Waitlisted??? That sounds hilarious and apparently that existed last year.


Yes, unfortunately. Special group within the Preferred Waiting List, to be exact.


hahah tiered wait listing is such a mixed bag. I wasn't sure if that was gonna happen this year but here we are

johnkim1982
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby johnkim1982 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:20 pm

tom2189 wrote:
Worker and Parasite wrote:Preferred WListed

Did anyone get Special-Preferred Waitlisted??? That sounds hilarious and apparently that existed last year.


Yes, unfortunately. Special group within the Preferred Waiting List, to be exact.


I also was special preferred waitlisted today.

LSAT: 177
LSAC GPA: 3.88

Non-traditional applicant - submitted 12/2.

I couldn't believe it.

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cogitoergosum » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:22 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
jrthor10 wrote:FYI: Dean Cornblatt just said on a call with tfa corps members that they have around 6,000 applicants so far this year. They had 12,000 last year

Uhh... Wow...

I'd be really interested to know more about this - was he saying that it was problematic for them, or did he indicate that it was just a little less than normal for this point in the year, or .... ?

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby snehpets » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:23 pm

johnkim1982 wrote:
tom2189 wrote:
Worker and Parasite wrote:Preferred WListed

Did anyone get Special-Preferred Waitlisted??? That sounds hilarious and apparently that existed last year.


Yes, unfortunately. Special group within the Preferred Waiting List, to be exact.


I also was special preferred waitlisted today.

LSAT: 177
LSAC GPA: 3.88

Non-traditional applicant - submitted 12/2.

I couldn't believe it.


Haha, late application, insanely good numbers? I know people get touchy about YP, but I'm not diminishing anyone else's achievement I don't think by telling you that HAS to be yield protection unless there's something insanely wrong with you. You've got amazing schools coming if they haven't already I'm sure.

User avatar
ColtsFan88
Posts: 1432
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:05 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ColtsFan88 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 pm

blech wrote:2.78/171

Originally an ED applicant
Did an interview
Decided I no longer wanted to be ED
Called them up, they switched me to RD

In!

Unexpected but I don't think I'll be attending anyway.

Congrats to everyone else whose gotten in and good luck to those still waiting.


Congrats!
I'm being such a thought dick right now.

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby eaper » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:08 am

cogitoergosum wrote:
jrthor10 wrote:FYI: Dean Cornblatt just said on a call with tfa corps members that they have around 6,000 applicants so far this year. They had 12,000 last year

Uhh... Wow...


._.

I'll cancel that party I was throwing. Ego is now back where it should be.

User avatar
salsahips
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby salsahips » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:24 am

Does anyone think a full ride at University of Miami, given that I have many pull factors and connections cause its my hometown and I would have the benefit of living at home, is alright to use for scholarship leverage against Georgetown? They are obviously not peer schools, and I would mention that to them. But would it be a good idea to highlight the huge difference in financial help and the big ties I have to the area (Miami)?

And if you don't think it'll help, do you think it'll hurt?

horrorbusiness
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby horrorbusiness » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:27 am

johnkim1982 wrote:
tom2189 wrote:
Worker and Parasite wrote:Preferred WListed

Did anyone get Special-Preferred Waitlisted??? That sounds hilarious and apparently that existed last year.


Yes, unfortunately. Special group within the Preferred Waiting List, to be exact.


I also was special preferred waitlisted today.

LSAT: 177
LSAC GPA: 3.88

Non-traditional applicant - submitted 12/2.

I couldn't believe it.


Nice and misleading email there, Georgetown!

"Applicants on the Preferred Waiting List are among those we would like to include in our first year class. These applicants have the strongest credentials of all waiting list candidates and, as a result, receive priority consideration if spaces become available."

Yeah, strongest credentials of all, except those in the special group. So, no not really the strongest credentials.

User avatar
luxxe
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:12 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby luxxe » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:34 am

salsahips wrote:Does anyone think a full ride at University of Miami, given that I have many pull factors and connections cause its my hometown and I would have the benefit of living at home, is alright to use for scholarship leverage against Georgetown? They are obviously not peer schools, and I would mention that to them. But would it be a good idea to highlight the huge difference in financial help and the big ties I have to the area (Miami)?

And if you don't think it'll help, do you think it'll hurt?


I don't think it will help. GULC has not been receptive to negotiations from even Vandy/Texas in the past.

Also... idgaf if applicants are down and that is why I got in. I am super excited about Georgetown and feel really lucky that I might get to go there. Thinking of your acceptance as less meaningful/a hit to the ego due to less applicants is probably why everyone hates entitled law students.

benito
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby benito » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:02 am

Also... idgaf if applicants are down and that is why I got in. I am super excited about Georgetown and feel really lucky that I might get to go there. Thinking of your acceptance as less meaningful/a hit to the ego due to less applicants is probably why everyone hates entitled law students.[/quote]

haha this is true...other people getting in with a similarly sub 3 GPA also meant that it wasn't my masterful personal statement or exceptional interview skills that somehow got me admitted with a 2.6; so that too was a ego hit.....yeah, id hate me if i was everyone too

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2914
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:03 am

luxxe wrote:
salsahips wrote:Does anyone think a full ride at University of Miami, given that I have many pull factors and connections cause its my hometown and I would have the benefit of living at home, is alright to use for scholarship leverage against Georgetown? They are obviously not peer schools, and I would mention that to them. But would it be a good idea to highlight the huge difference in financial help and the big ties I have to the area (Miami)?

And if you don't think it'll help, do you think it'll hurt?


I don't think it will help. GULC has not been receptive to negotiations from even Vandy/Texas in the past.

Also... idgaf if applicants are down and that is why I got in. I am super excited about Georgetown and feel really lucky that I might get to go there. Thinking of your acceptance as less meaningful/a hit to the ego due to less applicants is probably why everyone hates entitled law students.


I speak only for myself, but I think we were all joking :) I'm still incredibly excited. It was more of a self-deprecating comment.

benito
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby benito » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:08 am

definitely......incredibly excited to say the least, I didn't think Georgetown would look twice at my app

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby eaper » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:10 am

franklyscarlet wrote:
luxxe wrote:
salsahips wrote:Does anyone think a full ride at University of Miami, given that I have many pull factors and connections cause its my hometown and I would have the benefit of living at home, is alright to use for scholarship leverage against Georgetown? They are obviously not peer schools, and I would mention that to them. But would it be a good idea to highlight the huge difference in financial help and the big ties I have to the area (Miami)?

And if you don't think it'll help, do you think it'll hurt?


I don't think it will help. GULC has not been receptive to negotiations from even Vandy/Texas in the past.

Also... idgaf if applicants are down and that is why I got in. I am super excited about Georgetown and feel really lucky that I might get to go there. Thinking of your acceptance as less meaningful/a hit to the ego due to less applicants is probably why everyone hates entitled law students.


I speak only for myself, but I think we were all joking :) I'm still incredibly excited. It was more of a self-deprecating comment.


That was joking for me as well... and I think saying that that was the only way we got in would be the opposite of someone being self entitled.... Just sayin'.

benito
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby benito » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:52 am

I'd have to wait until I can actually log into the ASW to call myself an entitled law student anyway, but seriously the reduced apps have to have had some effect right? LSN shows sub 3/170+ splitters in previous cycles had very little (no) success... so far i've heard of 3 being admitted this year already.

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cogitoergosum » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:48 am

benito wrote:I'd have to wait until I can actually log into the ASW to call myself an entitled law student anyway, but seriously the reduced apps have to have had some effect right? LSN shows sub 3/170+ splitters in previous cycles had very little (no) success... so far i've heard of 3 being admitted this year already.

Just looking at the LSN graphs for other years, it really doesn't look much different... I don't know, maybe this drop in apps thing is overblown. It seems to me that the only real difference this year is that schools are taking longer to make decisions on apps. Thus far on LSN, 2011-2012 looks like just about any other of the past three years to me.

So, I think we can all resume our ego trips now...

zurcaled11
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby zurcaled11 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:05 am

cogitoergosum wrote:
benito wrote:I'd have to wait until I can actually log into the ASW to call myself an entitled law student anyway, but seriously the reduced apps have to have had some effect right? LSN shows sub 3/170+ splitters in previous cycles had very little (no) success... so far i've heard of 3 being admitted this year already.

Just looking at the LSN graphs for other years, it really doesn't look much different... I don't know, maybe this drop in apps thing is overblown. It seems to me that the only real difference this year is that schools are taking longer to make decisions on apps. Thus far on LSN, 2011-2012 looks like just about any other of the past three years to me.

So, I think we can all resume our ego trips now...


Just looking at LSN it looks like there around 550 applicants this year 2011-2012 (and 5 pages worth).

Last cycle 2010-2011 there was 8 pages, of around 100 applicants a page so between 700 and 800 on LSN.

The cycle before that 2009-2010 there was 11 pages of applicants at around 100 per page so between 1000-1100 on LSN.

Take this information however you want it, considering the application cycle isn't over yet, these numbers still might increase but it definitely seems like there are way less applicants on LSN this year than before.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:11 am

Have I not been paying attention to email and snail mail? When is GULC going to release scholarship info?

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cogitoergosum » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:13 am

zurcaled11 wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:
benito wrote:I'd have to wait until I can actually log into the ASW to call myself an entitled law student anyway, but seriously the reduced apps have to have had some effect right? LSN shows sub 3/170+ splitters in previous cycles had very little (no) success... so far i've heard of 3 being admitted this year already.

Just looking at the LSN graphs for other years, it really doesn't look much different... I don't know, maybe this drop in apps thing is overblown. It seems to me that the only real difference this year is that schools are taking longer to make decisions on apps. Thus far on LSN, 2011-2012 looks like just about any other of the past three years to me.

So, I think we can all resume our ego trips now...


Just looking at LSN it looks like there around 550 applicants this year 2011-2012 (and 5 pages worth).

Last cycle 2010-2011 there was 8 pages, of around 100 applicants a page so between 700 and 800 on LSN.

The cycle before that 2009-2010 there was 11 pages of applicants at around 100 per page so between 1000-1100 on LSN.

Take this information however you want it, considering the application cycle isn't over yet, these numbers still might increase but it definitely seems like there are way less applicants on LSN this year than before.

Yes, I agree with you on that. I have done similar tallies with other schools, and gotten a similar result.

But as far as decisions go... I haven't seen many green triangles that really surprise me. Thus far, the green areas of the graphs I'm watching don't seem to be moving downward or leftward from previous years. Maybe (hopefully) as schools start rendering more decisions this will change, and we'll see the effect more, but as of now, I don't think I'm seeing it.

User avatar
tennisballs
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby tennisballs » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:24 am

horrorbusiness wrote:
johnkim1982 wrote:
tom2189 wrote:
Worker and Parasite wrote:Preferred WListed

Did anyone get Special-Preferred Waitlisted??? That sounds hilarious and apparently that existed last year.


Yes, unfortunately. Special group within the Preferred Waiting List, to be exact.


I also was special preferred waitlisted today.

LSAT: 177
LSAC GPA: 3.88

Non-traditional applicant - submitted 12/2.

I couldn't believe it.


Nice and misleading email there, Georgetown!

"Applicants on the Preferred Waiting List are among those we would like to include in our first year class. These applicants have the strongest credentials of all waiting list candidates and, as a result, receive priority consideration if spaces become available."

Yeah, strongest credentials of all, except those in the special group. So, no not really the strongest credentials.


Are they doing "special" preferred this year?

mijenks
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:36 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mijenks » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:01 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:But as far as decisions go... I haven't seen many green triangles that really surprise me. Thus far, the green areas of the graphs I'm watching don't seem to be moving downward or leftward from previous years. Maybe (hopefully) as schools start rendering more decisions this will change, and we'll see the effect more, but as of now, I don't think I'm seeing it.

Seeing it at GULC. Comparing 11/12 to 10/11, notice all the greens that are 3.7+ but below 168. A lot of non-URMs with 3.75/164-168 greens that were yellows or reds in 10/11. Also notice that, sub-3.7, the LSAT cutoff was 170 in 10/11 while it looks to be 169 or 168 in 11/12.

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby KevinP » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:04 pm

On a related note, it seems the (potentially) large decrease at GULC this year is already on top of a 19% (7% among highly qualified candidates) decrease from last year:
--LinkRemoved--

eads
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby eads » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:31 pm

Just get over it...WHO REALLY CARES WHY YOU GET ADMITTED TO GULC, OR EVEN HARVARD? For what we know, most (roughly 80%) of the people who get the offer from GULC will not attend...anyway

So just be happy and grateful...

User avatar
southernsuperstar
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:54 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby southernsuperstar » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:57 pm

mijenks wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:But as far as decisions go... I haven't seen many green triangles that really surprise me. Thus far, the green areas of the graphs I'm watching don't seem to be moving downward or leftward from previous years. Maybe (hopefully) as schools start rendering more decisions this will change, and we'll see the effect more, but as of now, I don't think I'm seeing it.

Seeing it at GULC. Comparing 11/12 to 10/11, notice all the greens that are 3.7+ but below 168. A lot of non-URMs with 3.75/164-168 greens that were yellows or reds in 10/11. Also notice that, sub-3.7, the LSAT cutoff was 170 in 10/11 while it looks to be 169 or 168 in 11/12.


I wouldn't be surprised if this decrease in quality candidates 1) helps students with scholarship negotiations 2) results in surprising admissions from great schools late in the game, especially if the number of applicants stays low




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests