Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nyc73

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby nyc73 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:56 pm

I actually had a status before. It said my application was complete.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:57 pm

Yeah, this is how mine is, with no date. It happened on the same day as my interview request, which has to be almost a month ago at this point.

nyc73

Postby nyc73 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:00 pm

OK. Thanks for sharing your experience. I guess the change doesn't really have much significance. I was hoping/fearing that it meant I should expect a decision soon.

phl516

Postby phl516 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:52 pm

Yea, my status checker was blank like that for ages. Just updated to "Application Completed" today. I had an alum interview on 12/16, I am guessing that means they got the feedback from my interviewer and processed it. But, I really have no idea.

Flappy Scribbleneck

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:05 pm

did any PT or Both (FT and PT) Applicants update on 01/03?

frosti

Postby frosti » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:30 pm

Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:did any PT or Both (FT and PT) Applicants update on 01/03?

I did.

Have any people been admitted to the PT program yet?

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:03 pm

frosti wrote:
Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:did any PT or Both (FT and PT) Applicants update on 01/03?

I did.

If it's any help, I applied FT/PT and was admitted FT.

Flappy Scribbleneck

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:22 pm

frosti wrote:

I did.

Not that I have seen

cmd72215

Postby cmd72215 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:07 pm

I just had my sixth update today, this is the third one since I interviewed. Has anyone else had this many updates? I'm freaking out a little bit trying to figure out what it means.

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:08 pm

cmd72215 wrote:I just had my sixth update today, this is the third one since I interviewed. Has anyone else had this many updates? I'm freaking out a little bit trying to figure out what it means.

I had 3 after my interview...and then I was admitted :) Good luck!

speakeasier

Postby speakeasier » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:33 pm

So, I created an account just so I could ask this question. I took the LSAT twice (160 first time, 170 second time) and a 3.55 GPA, and I got preferred waitlisted at Georgetown. While Georgetown definitely wasn't my first choice, this kind of worries me, because I'm aiming for other T-14 schools.

My mind comes up with the following (arbitrary?) reasons: I didn't go to the group interview thing...I wrote about being an atheist in my personal statement, and this is a Jesuit school...160 LSAT counted against me...I applied somewhat last minute to this particular school (Mid-December)...

What do you guys think? Is this an indicator of my chances at higher-ranked schools like Northwestern or UPenn? Totally random? Shit happens? I'm kind of going out of my mind here. Thank you!

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:37 pm

speakeasier wrote:So, I created an account just so I could ask this question. I took the LSAT twice (160 first time, 170 second time) and a 3.55 GPA, and I got preferred waitlisted at Georgetown. While Georgetown definitely wasn't my first choice, this kind of worries me, because I'm aiming for other T-14 schools.

My mind comes up with the following (arbitrary?) reasons: I didn't go to the group interview thing...I wrote about being an atheist in my personal statement, and this is a Jesuit school...160 LSAT counted against me...I applied somewhat last minute to this particular school (Mid-December)...

What do you guys think? Is this an indicator of my chances at higher-ranked schools like Northwestern or UPenn? Totally random? Shit happens? I'm kind of going out of my mind here. Thank you!

Because you applied late, you chose not to interview, and your score/gpa is pretty safe for Georgetown, they probably thought you were applying to Georgetown as a kind of safety. If you submitted a LOCI and committed to attending Georgetown they would probably take you off the waitlist. They just don't want to admit someone who will probably get in somewhere better and hasn't shown any signs of commitment who will end up not attending and hurt their ranking.

Obviously there's a chance you have some kind of weird flaw on your app, but looking at this graph that seems the most likely reason.

http://gulc.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

In any case, I highly doubt they care you're an atheist. Good luck everywhere else!

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:45 pm

snehpets wrote:
speakeasier wrote:So, I created an account just so I could ask this question. I took the LSAT twice (160 first time, 170 second time) and a 3.55 GPA, and I got preferred waitlisted at Georgetown. While Georgetown definitely wasn't my first choice, this kind of worries me, because I'm aiming for other T-14 schools.

Because you applied late, you chose not to interview, and your score/gpa is pretty safe for Georgetown, they probably thought you were applying to Georgetown as a kind of safety. If you submitted a LOCI and committed to attending Georgetown they would probably take you off the waitlist. They just don't want to admit someone who will probably get in somewhere better and hasn't shown any signs of commitment who will end up not attending and hurt their ranking.

Obviously there's a chance you have some kind of weird flaw on your app, but looking at this graph that seems the most likely reason.

In any case, I highly doubt they care you're an atheist. Good luck everywhere else!

170/3.55 is not exactly safe at Georgetown; that's 50/50 territory at best. Why on Earth would you decline an interview?

ETA: You have no shot at Penn with a 170/3.55 unless you have rockin' softs or are URM. NU maybe if you have the prerequisite WE.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:49 pm

Nelson wrote:
snehpets wrote:

170/3.55 is not exactly safe at Georgetown; that's 50/50 territory at best. Why on Earth would you decline an interview?

Sorry, "safe" was an exaggeration. I just meant that it wasn't unreasonable for them to get in there. You're definitely right though. In any case, the lack of commitment (no interview) doesn't look great for you.

speakeasier

Postby speakeasier » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:51 pm

Nelson wrote:
snehpets wrote:

ETA: You have no shot at Penn with a 170/3.55 unless you have rockin' softs or are URM. NU maybe if you have the prerequisite WE.

I declined an interview because I was out of town and couldn't be bothered to change my travel plans. Also, if you check lawschoolnumbers, you'll see that there are plenty of people with my same stats that have gotten into Penn. unless you think they're all lying, I'm not ruling anything out.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:52 pm

snehpets wrote:Sorry, "safe" was an exaggeration. I just meant that it wasn't unreasonable for them to get in there. You're definitely right though. In any case, the lack of commitment (no interview) doesn't look great for you.

Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to come off as brusque. This year's graph is too charitable to that range because it only has acceptances. Past years, it's more 50/50 in there with some rejects sprinkled in as well as WLs.

To the OP: it's one thing not to interview if it's optional, it's entirely different to decline an invitation.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:53 pm

speakeasier wrote:Also, if you check lawschoolnumbers, you'll see that there are plenty of people with my same stats that have gotten into Penn. unless you think they're all lying, I'm not ruling anything out.

They're ED. Totally different situation. Penn has a large and well known ED bump.

naf34

Postby naf34 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:58 pm

speakeasier wrote:
Nelson wrote:
snehpets wrote:

I declined an interview because I was out of town and couldn't be bothered to change my travel plans. Also, if you check lawschoolnumbers, you'll see that there are plenty of people with my same stats that have gotten into Penn. unless you think they're all lying, I'm not ruling anything out.

I don't think that not getting into Georgetown is an indicator for all other T-14 schools. Even though the process is very number's based, each school passes up a ton of applicants with the "right" numbers. Don't Fret. Also, I definitely don't think that your 160 hurt.

naf34

Postby naf34 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:00 pm

Does anyone know about getting reimbursed for travel expenses to come visit Georgetown. The Admissions office told me they don't regularly do that, but could it be that they reimburse travel expenses for some applicants and not others?

speakeasier

Postby speakeasier » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:01 pm

Nelson wrote:
speakeasier wrote:Also, if you check lawschoolnumbers, you'll see that there are plenty of people with my same stats that have gotten into Penn. unless you think they're all lying, I'm not ruling anything out.

They're ED. Totally different situation. Penn has a large and well known ED bump.

Aw, well, thanks for taking the time to provide such an honest and unsolicited opinion. Good luck at whatever law school decides to take such a hardworking and charitable person. You're the future of law, probably.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:09 pm

speakeasier wrote: Is this an indicator of my chances at higher-ranked schools like Northwestern or UPenn?

Nelson wrote:You have no shot at Penn with a 170/3.55 unless you have rockin' softs or are URM. NU maybe if you have the prerequisite WE.

speakeasier wrote:Aw, well, thanks for taking the time to provide such an honest and unsolicited opinion. Good luck at whatever law school decides to take such a hardworking and charitable person. You're the future of law, probably.

:roll:

You not getting into Georgetown has nothing to do with your personal statement. It has everything to do with you having only OK numbers and declining an interview.

Yes, your numbers probably hurt your chances at better schools, but again, your personal statement likely means very little.

Flappy Scribbleneck

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:19 pm

Nelson wrote:170/3.55 is not exactly safe at Georgetown; that's 50/50 territory at best. Why on Earth would you decline an interview?

ETA? Acronym fail?
Going out on a limb here, I wouldn't say that a PS about religion, particularly about atheism, would add to the safe-ness of an application.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:19 pm

Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:
Nelson wrote:170/3.55 is not exactly safe at Georgetown; that's 50/50 territory at best. Why on Earth would you decline an interview?

ETA? Acronym fail?
Going out on a limb here, I wouldn't say that a PS about religion, particularly about atheism, would add to the safe-ness of an application.

Edited This After.

As long as it's well-written, no one really cares what your personal statement is about, except at like, Stanford, or Yale.

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:22 pm

snehpets wrote:
Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:

ETA? Acronym fail?

Edited This After.

As long as it's well-written, no one really cares what your personal statement is about, except at like, Stanford, or Yale.

True... but GULC is very proud of its "Jesuit tradition." While that might not be directly related to religion, I doubt that a PS on atheism would HELP anyone land on the admitted pile haha

speakeasier

Postby speakeasier » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:25 pm

Nelson wrote:
speakeasier wrote: Is this an indicator of my chances at higher-ranked schools like Northwestern or UPenn?

Nelson wrote:You have no shot at Penn with a 170/3.55 unless you have rockin' softs or are URM. NU maybe if you have the prerequisite WE.

speakeasier wrote:Aw, well, thanks for taking the time to provide such an honest and unsolicited opinion. Good luck at whatever law school decides to take such a hardworking and charitable person. You're the future of law, probably.

:roll:

You not getting into Georgetown has nothing to do with your personal statement. It has everything to do with you having only OK numbers and declining an interview.

Yes, your numbers probably hurt your chances at better schools, but again, your personal statement likely means very little.

Well, I honestly can't say I didn't expert a response like yours. Thanks to everyone who replied, I appreciate it! Only time will tell, and until then, a girl can dream.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”