Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
goblue99

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby goblue99 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:19 pm

So I applied ED and went complete around 12/5, meaning I'd hear back at the beginning of January at the latest given the admissions office is closed for winter vacations. However, I received the email to interview, and I figure I wont even find out when my interview is for a few weeks. Should I assume that this means I'm waitlisted since I'm not likely to have my interview before my supposed decision date?/is my decision date now just pushed back?

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:26 pm

goblue99 wrote:So I applied ED and went complete around 12/5, meaning I'd hear back at the beginning of January at the latest given the admissions office is closed for winter vacations. However, I received the email to interview, and I figure I wont even find out when my interview is for a few weeks. Should I assume that this means I'm waitlisted since I'm not likely to have my interview before my supposed decision date?/is my decision date now just pushed back?

Why would they bother interviewing you if they knew they were going to waitlist you....?

Your decision date will probably just be pushed back, it doesn't mean anything about your eventual decision. People who have applied ED ITT and done interviews have taken longer than three weeks, presumably because the interview, once accepted, counts as part of your file that has to go complete as well.

Good luck!!

goblue99

Postby goblue99 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:39 pm

luxxe wrote:
goblue99 wrote:So I applied ED and went complete around 12/5, meaning I'd hear back at the beginning of January at the latest given the admissions office is closed for winter vacations. However, I received the email to interview, and I figure I wont even find out when my interview is for a few weeks. Should I assume that this means I'm waitlisted since I'm not likely to have my interview before my supposed decision date?/is my decision date now just pushed back?

Why would they bother interviewing you if they knew they were going to waitlist you....?

Your decision date will probably just be pushed back, it doesn't mean anything about your eventual decision. People who have applied ED ITT and done interviews have taken longer than three weeks, presumably because the interview, once accepted, counts as part of your file that has to go complete as well.

Good luck!!

thanks! i guess i just figured they would waitlist me, and potentially use my interview to decide on acceptance/compare me to other candidates similar in numbers on the list further down the road in april/may/june..(hopefully no later than that!)

broncos_fan_26

Postby broncos_fan_26 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:14 pm

goblue99 wrote:
luxxe wrote:

Good luck!!

thanks! i guess i just figured they would waitlist me, and potentially use my interview to decide on acceptance/compare me to other candidates similar in numbers on the list further down the road in april/may/june..(hopefully no later than that!)

fyi... pretty sure that is what happened with me... i got interview and it went really well (the guy even told me) and i got deferred on ED app. but not very high scores for georgetown, so i was surprised to even get the interview

goblue99

Postby goblue99 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:52 pm

broncos_fan_26 wrote:
goblue99 wrote:
luxxe wrote:

Good luck!!

fyi... pretty sure that is what happened with me... i got interview and it went really well (the guy even told me) and i got deferred on ED app. but not very high scores for georgetown, so i was surprised to even get the interview

yea i was pretty excited just to get the interview given my lsat score haha. but here's to hoping.

jojob1

Postby jojob1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:21 am

Hi, I'm wondering what the difference is between a "complete date" and the "received date"? Is the initial status date what people are referring to when they say "complete date"?

navigator

Postby navigator » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:57 am

So, here's my story. 167/3.84, and I was pessimistic about my chances to get into GULC, but I applied here and a couple other T-14 schools just for the heck of it. Two weeks ago I was contacted for a phone interview, it went well, and on Saturday (17 Dec) I received a letter of acceptance! I'm a little older than most applicants (31) and am currently an active duty naval officer, and I think those may have helped me stand out from the crowd. I am hoping to be accepted into the Navy's Law Education Program (LEP), which would allow me to remain an officer during law school and become a JAG after graduation. Good luck to everyone else!

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:19 am

jojob1 wrote:Hi, I'm wondering what the difference is between a "complete date" and the "received date"? Is the initial status date what people are referring to when they say "complete date"?

Received means that the school has received your application, whereas complete means they have received all Of the necessary materials in order to look at your application. When we quote dates, it is usually our complete dates.

jojob1

Postby jojob1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:52 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
jojob1 wrote:Hi, I'm wondering what the difference is between a "complete date" and the "received date"? Is the initial status date what people are referring to when they say "complete date"?

Received means that the school has received your application, whereas complete means they have received all Of the necessary materials in order to look at your application. When we quote dates, it is usually our complete dates.

Thanks! I submitted my app about two weeks ago, and they sent me a status checker the same day (12/5)... but I haven't received any other update. Does this mean my app is not complete yet?

lawschool899

Postby lawschool899 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:54 pm

anyone waiting on an interview, I got a request on 12/2 and my interviewer JUST emailed me yesterday so like everyone says give them a few weeks to get to you. Hope this helps future anxiety ridden applicants :D

DWinter18

Postby DWinter18 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:06 pm

For those who were accepted regular decision, about how long of a time between when you submitted your app and when you got accepted? I submitted just over a month ago, and I had an interview last week and since then, 3 updates on my status check (all "Application Complete"). The wait is seriously killing me, but I still haven't heard from any schools yet, and I applied all at the same time (just over a month ago).

top30man

Postby top30man » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:11 pm

DWinter18 wrote:For those who were accepted regular decision, about how long of a time between when you submitted your app and when you got accepted? I submitted just over a month ago, and I had an interview last week and since then, 3 updates on my status check (all "Application Complete"). The wait is seriously killing me, but I still haven't heard from any schools yet, and I applied all at the same time (just over a month ago).

It took about six weeks for me. That included four updates and an interview.

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:16 pm

Completed my interview Friday, waiting for another update or something.. Submitted 10/27ish. How long did it take for an update/decision for most after completing an interview?

sports

Postby sports » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:44 pm

So, I was just notified that I was placed on the preferred waiting list. What does this mean? I'm pretty confused because I wasn't even offered an interview. I thought my stats were good enough to get in LSAT 175 GPA 3.5ish. Does anyone have advice? Thanks

top30man

Postby top30man » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:44 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:Completed my interview Friday, waiting for another update or something.. Submitted 10/27ish. How long did it take for an update/decision for most after completing an interview?

I had my third update the next business day after the interview. The next week I had my fourth update. Within two weeks of the interview I received the letter.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:51 pm

top30man wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:Completed my interview Friday, waiting for another update or something.. Submitted 10/27ish. How long did it take for an update/decision for most after completing an interview?

I had my third update the next business day after the interview. The next week I had my fourth update. Within two weeks of the interview I received the letter.

did you get an email or a status checker update? I'm at one week since my interview and I'm going out of town wednesday :(

Strange

Postby Strange » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:52 pm

sports wrote:So, I was just notified that I was placed on the preferred waiting list. What does this mean? I'm pretty confused because I wasn't even offered an interview. I thought my stats were good enough to get in LSAT 175 GPA 3.5ish. Does anyone have advice? Thanks

Sounds like yield protection.

AS33

Postby AS33 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:00 pm

DWinter18 wrote:For those who were accepted regular decision, about how long of a time between when you submitted your app and when you got accepted? I submitted just over a month ago, and I had an interview last week and since then, 3 updates on my status check (all "Application Complete"). The wait is seriously killing me, but I still haven't heard from any schools yet, and I applied all at the same time (just over a month ago).

5 weeks

Boston_NYG2245

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:01 pm

sports wrote:So, I was just notified that I was placed on the preferred waiting list. What does this mean? I'm pretty confused because I wasn't even offered an interview. I thought my stats were good enough to get in LSAT 175 GPA 3.5ish. Does anyone have advice? Thanks

Same thing here. 173/3.69, I'm guessing it's yield protection since I already got in to NYU.

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:09 pm

just had my address updated in the status tracker. anyone know if this is a good sign/bad sign/not even a sign?

PoliticalJunkie73

Postby PoliticalJunkie73 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:10 pm

top30man wrote:

My status has not been updated since BEFORE my interview. Interview was 12/2, but last status update (application complete) was 11/28. I am assuming this is bad? I'm ready to pull my hair out.

CaliforniaGurl

Postby CaliforniaGurl » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:13 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:just had my address updated in the status tracker. anyone know if this is a good sign/bad sign/not even a sign?

uh...how do you know your address updated?

eas22

Postby eas22 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:15 pm

So I just was placed on Georgetown's preferred waitlist. Not to be cocky but I kind of assumed I was a shoo-in with a 173/4.0. I'm really nervous that I made some kind of mistake with my application but I've already been accepted to Duke and Berkeley so that shouldn't be it? I'm having a minor freak out, especially since this is probably the last school I'll hear from before break.

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:17 pm

CaliforniaGurl wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:just had my address updated in the status tracker. anyone know if this is a good sign/bad sign/not even a sign?

uh...how do you know your address updated?

the status checker software tells you what has been updated; there was some TLSer who developed an app to let you check all your statuses at once and it's pretty good about showing you EXACTLY what has been updated

Boston_NYG2245

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:18 pm

eas22 wrote:So I just was placed on Georgetown's preferred waitlist. Not to be cocky but I kind of assumed I was a shoo-in with a 173/4.0. I'm really nervous that I made some kind of mistake with my application but I've already been accepted to Duke and Berkeley so that shouldn't be it? I'm having a minor freak out, especially since this is probably the last school I'll hear from before break.

From what I understand, G'Town yield protects pretty aggressively. If you're already in to Duke and Cal, then don't sweat it too much. If you prefer Georgetown to those schools then let GULC know how high they are on your list of priorities. Either way you're already ensured of going to a pretty great place.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”