Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shumon

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby shumon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:38 pm

I got something similar through email. I guess the only difference is that I applied ED.

"Thank you for applying to Georgetown University Law Center through the Early Decision Program. Although the record you present is a strong one, the Committee on Admissions has chosen to defer your final decision until we have a better sense of the entire applicant pool.

Each year, a large number of candidates submit Early Decision applications to Georgetown Law and the high quality of this group makes the Committee’s decisions extremely difficult. Please be aware that only a small number of Early Decision applicants have been deferred, and a number of deferred applicants in past years have subsequently been admitted through Georgetown’s Regular Action process. No additional information is necessary, and the Credential Assembly Service (CAS) will continue to send us updates. Please note that you will not be bound by the Early Decision agreement if you are admitted to Georgetown through our Regular Action process.

On behalf of the Committee, we appreciate your patience and continued interest in Georgetown."

I suppose I could write an LOCI, but that seems redundant since I applied ED. Dont know what to do now. Any suggestions?

so_fetch

Postby so_fetch » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:44 pm

DWinter18 wrote:Does Georgetown email your acceptance or send it in regular mail, or both?

Its regular mail but you will get an email a while later (I got mine like a week later) so if you are worried that it got lost in the mail or something don't stress cause eventually you'd get an email if you were in. I got in 11/21 and my status on the status checker still says application completed so don't hold your breath for that one

so_fetch

Postby so_fetch » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:48 pm

shumon wrote:I got something similar through email. I guess the only difference is that I applied ED.

"Thank you for applying to Georgetown University Law Center through the Early Decision Program. Although the record you present is a strong one, the Committee on Admissions has chosen to defer your final decision until we have a better sense of the entire applicant pool.

Each year, a large number of candidates submit Early Decision applications to Georgetown Law and the high quality of this group makes the Committee’s decisions extremely difficult. Please be aware that only a small number of Early Decision applicants have been deferred, and a number of deferred applicants in past years have subsequently been admitted through Georgetown’s Regular Action process. No additional information is necessary, and the Credential Assembly Service (CAS) will continue to send us updates. Please note that you will not be bound by the Early Decision agreement if you are admitted to Georgetown through our Regular Action process.

On behalf of the Committee, we appreciate your patience and continued interest in Georgetown."

I suppose I could write an LOCI, but that seems redundant since I applied ED. Dont know what to do now. Any suggestions?

I don't think its redundant. It's letter of CONTINUING interest. So you are telling them you are still interested / why / why they should admit you. For all they know you are really pissed you got denied ED and you are going to go to a different school that already accepted you and gave you a great scholarship. I bet a bunch of people in the hold pool don't care anymore and will never think of georgetown again. They already told you you are borderline by holding you. So put your app over the edge and do something to tell them you still want to go there / would accept an offer of admission and who knows maybe you will be at the top of the list of who they take from the hold people

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:00 pm

so_fetch wrote:I don't think its redundant. It's letter of CONTINUING interest. So you are telling them you are still interested / why / why they should admit you. For all they know you are really pissed you got denied ED and you are going to go to a different school that already accepted you and gave you a great scholarship. I bet a bunch of people in the hold pool don't care anymore and will never think of georgetown again. They already told you you are borderline by holding you. So put your app over the edge and do something to tell them you still want to go there / would accept an offer of admission and who knows maybe you will be at the top of the list of who they take from the hold people

TITCR.

shumon

Postby shumon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:06 pm

so_fetch wrote:
shumon wrote:I got something similar through email. I guess the only difference is that I applied ED.

I don't think its redundant. It's letter of CONTINUING interest. So you are telling them you are still interested / why / why they should admit you. For all they know you are really pissed you got denied ED and you are going to go to a different school that already accepted you and gave you a great scholarship. I bet a bunch of people in the hold pool don't care anymore and will never think of georgetown again. They already told you you are borderline by holding you. So put your app over the edge and do something to tell them you still want to go there / would accept an offer of admission and who knows maybe you will be at the top of the list of who they take from the hold people

Thanks for the advice!
The email says no additional information is necessary. I am worried if i send more stuff, I might come off as whiny.
Really dont know what to do!

so_fetch

Postby so_fetch » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:39 pm

shumon wrote:Thanks for the advice!
The email says no additional information is necessary. I am worried if i send more stuff, I might come off as whiny.
Really dont know what to do!

you're welcome. I have not written one of these before (/ yet/ thankfully :) ) but you should say that you understand that admission to gulc is very competitive and you appreciate that they are taking more time to consider your application. you want to reiterate your interest in the school. Say some Why x type stuff, if you already had it in your original app I would just kind of resummarize it concisely. If there is any new info such as grades or awards or a new job include that too. Georgetown is your top choice (if that is the case) and you would be honored to be admitted as part of the class of 2015... I don't know I cant write it for you but I am sure there are some good resources out there for LOCIs. I dont think they will think that you are whiny. They will think oh this guy actually wants to come here and he took the time to concisely and coherently let us know that. There will be other people with your stats who are also on "hold", and many of them either have already moved on or will move on by then (then=january?). So instead of them taking a chance they would rather choose you since you do want to go. You are not whiny; you are earnest and persistent. Don't get down on yourself just cause you feel rejected right now. as some wise soul (yogi berra?) once said, it ain't over til it's over

eaper

Postby eaper » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:53 pm

So I had an in person interview today and was wondering if standard practice for these is to send out thank you cards, thank them via email, or what. Thanks for the advice =)

Boston_NYG2245

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:55 pm

eaper wrote:So I had an in person interview today and was wondering if standard practice for these is to send out thank you cards, thank them via email, or what. Thanks for the advice =)

I always send a thank you email. Can't hurt you. Just say you enjoyed the conversation maybe mention a part of the interview you enjoyed and thank them for their time.

dudebrahdude

Postby dudebrahdude » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:42 pm

I got one of these emails too, although I have a slightly different take on it. Georgetown hasn't really started rejecting people so I think this the default move for folks that apply early in the cycle. If you look at LSN they start dinging early/mid january with very few, if any, before then. This is basically as close to saying no they are willing to get at this early point and is probably an insurance measure for them to keep a pool of applicants should something nuts happen to the world/legal field/gtown.

That said, we still have a chance! I am going to send a LOCI.

80eight

Postby 80eight » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:21 pm

Trying to decide if its worth the extra effort to apply for the PILS program. Wish this had been part of the initial application like RTK. It's hard to work up the motivation to do more work now!

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:48 pm

For anyone else in interview purgatory, I received the invite email two weeks ago. Radio silence since. Received a call tonight from my interviewer to set up an interview. So, if you haven't heard anything in a while, I would wait at least two weeks to contact admissions and be prepared for a phone call instead of an interview. My guy sounds really chill, so I'm kind of excited for the interview.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:25 pm

Samara wrote:For anyone else in interview purgatory, I received the invite email two weeks ago. Radio silence since. Received a call tonight from my interviewer to set up an interview. So, if you haven't heard anything in a while, I would wait at least two weeks to contact admissions and be prepared for a phone call instead of an interview. My guy sounds really chill, so I'm kind of excited for the interview.

Yeah, I got an email about it last night as well. Unfortunately she's only available from 11 AM - 5 PM and I work 9-6, so I'll have to take 3 hours/half a day off work (45 minute drive from work to where her office is, an hour for the interview to be safe) next week -_-;;

oh well, still stoked to finally be doing the interview!! :D

so_fetch

Postby so_fetch » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:50 pm

80eight wrote:Trying to decide if its worth the extra effort to apply for the PILS program. Wish this had been part of the initial application like RTK. It's hard to work up the motivation to do more work now!

I am not really considering applying but on the plus side... at least you do not have a ton of other applications you need to work on right now!

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:52 pm

How long after your interviews did your guys status update (which I assume means the interview evaluation was sent in)?

benito

Postby benito » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Its finals week and I've been so stressed generally lately that I've been ignoring my phone expecting communications from law schools to come via email or snail mail. Just saw that the alum left me a voicemail MONDAY trying to set up the interview and I'm not getting back to him till today. fantastic.......

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:54 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:How long after your interviews did your guys status update (which I assume means the interview evaluation was sent in)?

I updated the next day.

scottybared

Postby scottybared » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:57 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:How long after your interviews did your guys status update (which I assume means the interview evaluation was sent in)?

My interview was Monday night and my status updated on Friday. The interviewers have up to 5 business days to turn the evaluation in, so factor that into your wait.

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:02 pm

I had mine on Monday, so I think i might call GTown at the close of business tomorrow to see if it has been turned in. Or maybe I should wait till Monday, but that seems so far away.

bbalcrzy23

Postby bbalcrzy23 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:11 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:

I updated the next day.

Mine took 2 weeks to update

tamarind49

Postby tamarind49 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:14 pm

To those of you who got that "Hold" e-mail (RD), did your status checker show any movement at all? I'm concerned because mine never budged since it went complete... ding? :(

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:17 pm

bbalcrzy23 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

I updated the next day.

Mine took 2 weeks to update

Hmmm very interesting. Ill probably wait till sometime next week then.

mathlawcombo

Postby mathlawcombo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:18 pm

anyone else stuck at 12/1?

awuminator

Postby awuminator » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:20 pm

mathlawcombo wrote:anyone else stuck at 12/1?

me!

so_fetch

Postby so_fetch » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:34 pm

People who have been accepted--- anyone get a package in the mail yet? Are they gonna send one? I like getting stuff in the mail :) and the acceptance letter which looked more like a wedding invitation envelope was a little underwhelming

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:39 pm

havent gotten anything here, not sure if they are sending something, but I certainly hope so!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”