Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
futurelawyer616
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:23 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby futurelawyer616 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:59 pm

So I got an e-mail that says this: does this mean I was waitlisted?

"Thank you for applying to the Juris Doctor program at Georgetown University Law Center. The record you present is a strong one, and the Committee on Admissions has chosen to postpone your final decision.

Each year, a large number of candidates submit applications to Georgetown Law early in the process. The high quality of this group makes the Committee's decisions extremely difficult. Please be aware that only a small number of early applicants have had their applications held, and a number of those applicants in past years have subsequently been admitted.

Once we have a better sense of the entire applicant pool, the Committee on Admissions will review your application again in January. No additional information is necessary, and the Credential Assembly Service (CAS) will continue to send us updates, which we will add to your file. A final decision will be mailed no later than Wednesday, February 29, 2012."

User avatar
chill
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:55 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby chill » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:00 pm

.
Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

colforbin
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:09 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby colforbin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:01 pm

Me too. Did they do this last year?

futurelawyer616
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:23 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby futurelawyer616 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:02 pm

I mean the way it's written is encouraging. I suppose I have no problem with it. That being said, will everyone please withdraw from Georgetown Law immediately? :lol:

chill wrote:
futurelawyer616 wrote:So I got an e-mail that says this: does this mean I was waitlisted?

"Thank you for applying to the Juris Doctor program at Georgetown University Law Center. The record you present is a strong one, and the Committee on Admissions has chosen to postpone your final decision.

Each year, a large number of candidates submit applications to Georgetown Law early in the process. The high quality of this group makes the Committee's decisions extremely difficult. Please be aware that only a small number of early applicants have had their applications held, and a number of those applicants in past years have subsequently been admitted.

Once we have a better sense of the entire applicant pool, the Committee on Admissions will review your application again in January. No additional information is necessary, and the Credential Assembly Service (CAS) will continue to send us updates, which we will add to your file. A final decision will be mailed no later than Wednesday, February 29, 2012."


Got the same thing. I'm assuming it's not a WL/rejection/acceptance, but just a formal notice that they're putting us on hold?

theduffman
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:41 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby theduffman » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:13 pm

same thing here... I think it's basically waiting on fall grades? At least I hope so because that would bode well for meee :)

User avatar
chill
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:55 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby chill » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:20 pm

.
Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:21 pm

futurelawyer616 wrote:So I got an e-mail that says this: does this mean I was waitlisted?

"Thank you for applying to the Juris Doctor program at Georgetown University Law Center. The record you present is a strong one, and the Committee on Admissions has chosen to postpone your final decision.

Each year, a large number of candidates submit applications to Georgetown Law early in the process. The high quality of this group makes the Committee's decisions extremely difficult. Please be aware that only a small number of early applicants have had their applications held, and a number of those applicants in past years have subsequently been admitted.

Once we have a better sense of the entire applicant pool, the Committee on Admissions will review your application again in January. No additional information is necessary, and the Credential Assembly Service (CAS) will continue to send us updates, which we will add to your file. A final decision will be mailed no later than Wednesday, February 29, 2012."

I sincerely hope for you that it isn't a WL...but I think it might be

futurelawyer616
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:23 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby futurelawyer616 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:23 pm

If that's the case, I think that's the most a law school could do to dance around the word waitlist. But, I essentially assume it's a waitlist. The only thing that's different is that we get a "decision" before February, which indicates to me it's like a slightly better waitlist. I don't know. I'm a major reach anyways, so I took this as a positive.

msblaw89 wrote:
futurelawyer616 wrote:So I got an e-mail that says this: does this mean I was waitlisted?

"Thank you for applying to the Juris Doctor program at Georgetown University Law Center. The record you present is a strong one, and the Committee on Admissions has chosen to postpone your final decision.

Each year, a large number of candidates submit applications to Georgetown Law early in the process. The high quality of this group makes the Committee's decisions extremely difficult. Please be aware that only a small number of early applicants have had their applications held, and a number of those applicants in past years have subsequently been admitted.

Once we have a better sense of the entire applicant pool, the Committee on Admissions will review your application again in January. No additional information is necessary, and the Credential Assembly Service (CAS) will continue to send us updates, which we will add to your file. A final decision will be mailed no later than Wednesday, February 29, 2012."

I sincerely hope for you that it isn't a WL...but I think it might be

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:25 pm

futurelawyer616 wrote:If that's the case, I think that's the most a law school could do to dance around the word waitlist. But, I essentially assume it's a waitlist. The only thing that's different is that we get a "decision" before February, which indicates to me it's like a slightly better waitlist. I don't know. I'm a major reach anyways, so I took this as a positive.

msblaw89 wrote:
futurelawyer616 wrote:So I got an e-mail that says this: does this mean I was waitlisted?

"Thank you for applying to the Juris Doctor program at Georgetown University Law Center. The record you present is a strong one, and the Committee on Admissions has chosen to postpone your final decision.

Each year, a large number of candidates submit applications to Georgetown Law early in the process. The high quality of this group makes the Committee's decisions extremely difficult. Please be aware that only a small number of early applicants have had their applications held, and a number of those applicants in past years have subsequently been admitted.

Once we have a better sense of the entire applicant pool, the Committee on Admissions will review your application again in January. No additional information is necessary, and the Credential Assembly Service (CAS) will continue to send us updates, which we will add to your file. A final decision will be mailed no later than Wednesday, February 29, 2012."

I sincerely hope for you that it isn't a WL...but I think it might be

That is true... I don't think the normal WL indicates a definitive decision date. Hold out, you will be accepted.

futurelawyer616
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:23 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby futurelawyer616 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:27 pm

Trust me, I would wait until mid-August if it meant an acceptance from Georgetown. They are essentially my dream school. Thanks for the encouragement by the way. I appreciate that.

msblaw89 wrote:
futurelawyer616 wrote:If that's the case, I think that's the most a law school could do to dance around the word waitlist. But, I essentially assume it's a waitlist. The only thing that's different is that we get a "decision" before February, which indicates to me it's like a slightly better waitlist. I don't know. I'm a major reach anyways, so I took this as a positive.

msblaw89 wrote:
futurelawyer616 wrote:So I got an e-mail that says this: does this mean I was waitlisted?

"Thank you for applying to the Juris Doctor program at Georgetown University Law Center. The record you present is a strong one, and the Committee on Admissions has chosen to postpone your final decision.

Each year, a large number of candidates submit applications to Georgetown Law early in the process. The high quality of this group makes the Committee's decisions extremely difficult. Please be aware that only a small number of early applicants have had their applications held, and a number of those applicants in past years have subsequently been admitted.

Once we have a better sense of the entire applicant pool, the Committee on Admissions will review your application again in January. No additional information is necessary, and the Credential Assembly Service (CAS) will continue to send us updates, which we will add to your file. A final decision will be mailed no later than Wednesday, February 29, 2012."

I sincerely hope for you that it isn't a WL...but I think it might be

That is true... I don't think the normal WL indicates a definitive decision date. Hold out, you will be accepted.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nelson » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:28 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
futurelawyer616 wrote:So I got an e-mail that says this: does this mean I was waitlisted?

"Thank you for applying to the Juris Doctor program at Georgetown University Law Center. The record you present is a strong one, and the Committee on Admissions has chosen to postpone your final decision.

Each year, a large number of candidates submit applications to Georgetown Law early in the process. The high quality of this group makes the Committee's decisions extremely difficult. Please be aware that only a small number of early applicants have had their applications held, and a number of those applicants in past years have subsequently been admitted.

Once we have a better sense of the entire applicant pool, the Committee on Admissions will review your application again in January. No additional information is necessary, and the Credential Assembly Service (CAS) will continue to send us updates, which we will add to your file. A final decision will be mailed no later than Wednesday, February 29, 2012."

I sincerely hope for you that it isn't a WL...but I think it might be


It's not a waitlist, it's a hold. Georgetown let in a ton of people this fall with high numbers, many of whom may have ED'd to another school or gotten into other T14s and will withdraw. They're probably holding borderline candiates to get a better idea of who's actually attending of the people they've admitted.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:29 pm

Nelson wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
futurelawyer616 wrote:So I got an e-mail that says this: does this mean I was waitlisted?

"Thank you for applying to the Juris Doctor program at Georgetown University Law Center. The record you present is a strong one, and the Committee on Admissions has chosen to postpone your final decision.

Each year, a large number of candidates submit applications to Georgetown Law early in the process. The high quality of this group makes the Committee's decisions extremely difficult. Please be aware that only a small number of early applicants have had their applications held, and a number of those applicants in past years have subsequently been admitted.

Once we have a better sense of the entire applicant pool, the Committee on Admissions will review your application again in January. No additional information is necessary, and the Credential Assembly Service (CAS) will continue to send us updates, which we will add to your file. A final decision will be mailed no later than Wednesday, February 29, 2012."


I sincerely hope for you that it isn't a WL...but I think it might be


It's not a waitlist, it's a hold. Georgetown let in a ton of people this fall with high numbers, many of whom may have ED'd to another school or gotten into other T14s and will withdraw. They're probably holding borderline candiates to get a better idea of who's actually attending of the people they've admitted.


good point
Last edited by msblaw89 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
crabcakes
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:21 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby crabcakes » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:29 pm

hmm, did not get that e-mail...

CaliforniaGurl
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:03 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby CaliforniaGurl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:34 pm

can i ask when you guys went complete/submitted? (those who got the e-mail)

addy11
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby addy11 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:35 pm

crumpledq wrote:
so_fetch wrote:just got an email about the PILS program. Guessing others did too? it was not really an invitation , more like a notification that the application is available


+1


+1 I'm going to wait until closer to the deadline. I've got other things that require attention before 2/15/12.

colforbin
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:09 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby colforbin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:40 pm

Bad news for held people. Take a look at threads from the last two cycles for the held people. Some rejected, some WL, some priority WL, some special priority WL. Not sure any threads indicate posters who were admitted after being held.

However, presumably some of the special priority WL people who were held were ultimately admitted. I didn't dig that deep.

User avatar
so_fetch
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:37 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby so_fetch » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:42 pm

futurelawyer616 wrote:Trust me, I would wait until mid-August if it meant an acceptance from Georgetown. They are essentially my dream school. Thanks for the encouragement by the way. I appreciate that.

It sounds like a hold to me. I agree with the others, I think you have a great shot of getting in. Like they said they just want to see the applicant pool more. And they did not say this, but a lot of people will withdraw (me likely being one of them though I am not sure yet guys so don't get mad at me!!) once they start hearing back from other schools (for me its more location/other factors, not ranking or school quality, I do really like georgetown). Like for example have you seen the harvard thread.. people are getting in almost every day. No offense I am georgetown fan but unless they have some really serious personal/location factors at play, I don't think many of those people will attend gulc over harvard. And they probably all applied and got in already. Also many many people on TLS are rankings crazy so if they get into someplace like NYU they will automatically go there over georgetown. (personally I do consider ranking but I have other personal factors that are thrown in there too that I am weighing heavily, but i get the impression a lot of people don't have those)

Since you are so serious about georgetown maybe you should look into getting an additional recommendation, or updated grades, LOCI, visit the school, something to add to your application. I remember seeing something about holds in either a book (see previous post about Montauk's book) or on an admissions website (either a school's blog or a consultant's blog). I don't remember what it was but you should at least try googling it and looking around on TLS too for advice. Even if you do not take any action now (i.e. send in additional LOR, etc.), it will feel good to know you have it if you need it in January/february/march. Just saying maybe it's something to start thinking about since you are so interested in georgetown. good luck! :)

futurelawyer616
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:23 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby futurelawyer616 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:58 pm

Yikes

colforbin wrote:Bad news for held people. Take a look at threads from the last two cycles for the held people. Some rejected, some WL, some priority WL, some special priority WL. Not sure any threads indicate posters who were admitted after being held.

However, presumably some of the special priority WL people who were held were ultimately admitted. I didn't dig that deep.

Revolver066
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:54 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Revolver066 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:03 pm

Held today too. Declined interview FWIW.

CaliforniaGurl
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:03 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby CaliforniaGurl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:19 pm

Sorry to hear all this. I'm sort of expecting one of those e-mails any day now too. When did you guys submit/go complete?

futurelawyer616
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:23 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby futurelawyer616 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:24 pm

Really good advice. Thanks.

so_fetch wrote:
futurelawyer616 wrote:Trust me, I would wait until mid-August if it meant an acceptance from Georgetown. They are essentially my dream school. Thanks for the encouragement by the way. I appreciate that.

It sounds like a hold to me. I agree with the others, I think you have a great shot of getting in. Like they said they just want to see the applicant pool more. And they did not say this, but a lot of people will withdraw (me likely being one of them though I am not sure yet guys so don't get mad at me!!) once they start hearing back from other schools (for me its more location/other factors, not ranking or school quality, I do really like georgetown). Like for example have you seen the harvard thread.. people are getting in almost every day. No offense I am georgetown fan but unless they have some really serious personal/location factors at play, I don't think many of those people will attend gulc over harvard. And they probably all applied and got in already. Also many many people on TLS are rankings crazy so if they get into someplace like NYU they will automatically go there over georgetown. (personally I do consider ranking but I have other personal factors that are thrown in there too that I am weighing heavily, but i get the impression a lot of people don't have those)

Since you are so serious about georgetown maybe you should look into getting an additional recommendation, or updated grades, LOCI, visit the school, something to add to your application. I remember seeing something about holds in either a book (see previous post about Montauk's book) or on an admissions website (either a school's blog or a consultant's blog). I don't remember what it was but you should at least try googling it and looking around on TLS too for advice. Even if you do not take any action now (i.e. send in additional LOR, etc.), it will feel good to know you have it if you need it in January/february/march. Just saying maybe it's something to start thinking about since you are so interested in georgetown. good luck! :)

moshid
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:15 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby moshid » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:38 pm

held today too. i'm definitely a very borderline candidate

if i send an updated transcript to lsac, will they immediately send it to all law schools?

DWinter18
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby DWinter18 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:21 pm

Does Georgetown email your acceptance or send it in regular mail, or both?

User avatar
so_fetch
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:37 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby so_fetch » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:22 pm

moshid wrote:held today too. i'm definitely a very borderline candidate

if i send an updated transcript to lsac, will they immediately send it to all law schools?

sounds like it.... since the email you got apparently said "the Credential Assembly Service (CAS) will continue to send us updates, which we will add to your file." But I suppose a call to their admissions office would not hurt just to make sure.

and you're welcome future lawyer :) good luck to you guys!

User avatar
foxylaxy
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby foxylaxy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:27 pm

addy11 wrote:
crumpledq wrote:
so_fetch wrote:just got an email about the PILS program. Guessing others did too? it was not really an invitation , more like a notification that the application is available


+1


+1 I'm going to wait until closer to the deadline. I've got other things that require attention before 2/15/12.


+1




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”