Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lgleye

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lgleye » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:25 pm

So far, I've seen so many people with interviews...........anyone wih an interview get waitlisted?? Seems like everyone with an interview has gotten accepted.
Is this true?

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:29 pm

lgleye wrote:So far, I've seen so many people with interviews...........anyone wih an interview get waitlisted?? Seems like everyone with an interview has gotten accepted.
Is this true?

I think at this point everyone who has received a decision with or without an interview has been accepted, with the exception of ED applicants since Georgetown has to comply with that time frame they promise (I think I read that it's 3 weeks for ED applicants?) Anyway, I imagine there will be plenty of waitlisted applicants with interviews as there have been in past cycles, we just haven't seen them because Georgetown hasn't started waitlisting people yet.

tadlbb

Postby tadlbb » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:38 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
lgleye wrote:So far, I've seen so many people with interviews...........anyone wih an interview get waitlisted?? Seems like everyone with an interview has gotten accepted.
Is this true?

I think at this point everyone who has received a decision with or without an interview has been accepted, with the exception of ED applicants since Georgetown has to comply with that time frame they promise (I think I read that it's 3 weeks for ED applicants?) Anyway, I imagine there will be plenty of waitlisted applicants with interviews as there have been in past cycles, we just haven't seen them because Georgetown hasn't started waitlisting people yet.

This isn't entirely true. There are people who have gotten email rejections a few pages back in this thread. I'm not sure about waitlists though.

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:45 pm

tadlbb wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:
Is this true?

This isn't entirely true. There are people who have gotten email rejections a few pages back in this thread. I'm not sure about waitlists though.

Oh and they weren't ED applicants? I was just going off LSN and what I recalled from this thread, but I haven't kept up on it as much lately.

broncos_fan_26

Postby broncos_fan_26 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:44 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
Is this true?

Lol, I'm ED complete 10/26. Interview 11/22. Last update, 11/23... called tuesday, and they say its coming... so they dont really think the ED deadline is that set in stone

tadlbb

Postby tadlbb » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:19 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
tadlbb wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:
Is this true?

Oh and they weren't ED applicants? I was just going off LSN and what I recalled from this thread, but I haven't kept up on it as much lately.

Now that you mention it, I'm not 100% sure. Probably just wishful thinking since I most likely fall into the reject pile.

rewritten

Postby rewritten » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:02 am

For those of you who have been invited to a group interview: have you heard back from them since RSVPing? I haven't gotten a confirmation yet and I'm getting a little worried since the date is fast approaching.

broncos_fan_26

Postby broncos_fan_26 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:26 am

Lol, I'm ED complete 10/26. Interview 11/22. Last update, 11/23... called tuesday, and they say its coming... so they dont really think the ED deadline is that set in stone

Is nobody on here in the same situation (at least roughly) as me?... there are only 2 rejections on LSN... so there must be some other ED candidates in my boat, yes??

citygirl000

Postby citygirl000 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:55 am

Last edited by citygirl000 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seahawk32

Postby seahawk32 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:57 am

Found in a different thread.

JDizzle2015 wrote:I posted this in another Georgetown interview thread but it's probably helpful for this one as well.

This information was distributed directly from Georgetown:

Admissions Decisions for Interviewed Applicants for 2008:
39% put on Preferred Waitlist
37% Admitted
7% Denied
17% General Waitlist

If you're numbers are above both 75%tiles, I'd guess YP (i.e. they want to see how much interest you really have in Georgetown). HTH.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:18 pm

So I was curious to see how much a 1/1 apartment would cost near GULC.... I almost fainted. The average price is like $1600 a month

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:22 pm

msblaw89 wrote:So I was curious to see how much a 1/1 apartment would cost near GULC.... I almost fainted. The average price is like $1600 a month

Holy shit. I didn't know that. I know 1/1s in Arlington are >$1k, so I should have expected it...... but damn. I'll def be living in Gewirz for 1L if I go to GULC, so I'll ignore that for at least a year.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:25 pm

luxxe wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:So I was curious to see how much a 1/1 apartment would cost near GULC.... I almost fainted. The average price is like $1600 a month

Holy shit. I didn't know that. I know 1/1s in Arlington are >$1k, so I should have expected it...... but damn. I'll def be living in Gewirz for 1L if I go to GULC, so I'll ignore that for at least a year.

There are places that look like shit holes and are in bad areas for a little over $1000, but I personally wouldn't stay there. I was thinking of Gewirz too, but it seems like there aren't that many rooms.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:36 pm

DC is really expensive in general, and a lot of the new apartments downtown are swanky high end buildings. The nice thing about Georgetown is that it's really centrally located for the Metro, and while the Metro isn't the best ever, if you live close to a line it works very well. The cheaper option in DC is usually something like sharing a rowhouse with people. Capitol Hill is close by and relatively cheap.

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:10 pm

If anyone has been following my posts, on 11/16 I received an interview request, which I accepted. My interviewer finally got in touch with me on 12/5. Quite the delay. Well, since then I haven't heard from him again to finalize the time and place of our interview, which was tentatively scheduled for tomorrow. If I don't hear from him in the next few hours I will be very disappointed.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel like I am getting left behind because I agreed to an interview. I know that others with the 11/16 update and interview request have had decisions sent. At this point I wish I would've just declined it and taken the chance with my numbers.
Last edited by ColtsFan88 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:12 pm

maybe the admissions staff will see the trouble you have had and will feel sympathetic and reward you with huge money to go with your acceptance!

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:13 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:If anyone has been following my posts, on 11/16 I received an interview request, which I accepted. My interviewer finally got in touch with me on 12/3. Quite the delay. Well, since then I haven't heard from him again to finalize the time and place of our interview, which was tentatively scheduled for tomorrow. If I don't hear from him in the next few hours I will be very disappointed.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel like I am getting left behind because I agreed to an interview. I know that others with the 11/16 update and interview request have had decisions sent. At this point I wish I would've just declined it and taken the chance with my numbers.

If you don't hear by the end of the day (or even by 5pm EST) I would email/call admissions to let them know. I doubt they want this to be dragged out for a month, either.

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:17 pm

has anyone denied an interview request (group interview on a specific date/location, and i will be out of state) any not been punished for it??

worries me a bit. i got invited to the LA group video conference thing with the dean.

Lurkster

Postby Lurkster » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:30 pm

I really don't see how anyone can think that declining an interview could result in a positive outcome. The official word on the interview is that it "won't count against you" if you don't do it, but it doesn't have to necessarily count against you for you to not receive admission because of it. Something not counting for you can have the same end result as something that counts against you. Georgetown gets more applications per year than any law school in the country - it's highly unlikely that they would waste time on another step in the process for an applicant that they would admit otherwise, whether it's due to YP, being borderline as far as numbers, or having other red flags.

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:35 pm

Lurkster wrote:I really don't see how anyone can think that declining an interview could result in a positive outcome. The official word on the interview is that it "won't count against you" if you don't do it, but it doesn't have to necessarily count against you for you to not receive admission because of it. Something not counting for you can have the same end result as something that counts against you. Georgetown gets more applications per year than any law school in the country - it's highly unlikely that they would waste time on another step in the process for an applicant that they would admit otherwise, whether it's due to YP, being borderline as far as numbers, or having other red flags.

more or less what i was expecting. sounds about right.

Lily Pad

Postby Lily Pad » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:42 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:has anyone denied an interview request (group interview on a specific date/location, and i will be out of state) any not been punished for it??

worries me a bit. i got invited to the LA group video conference thing with the dean.

Don't be worried. I have a job that is challenging to schedule around, so I couldn't make any of the times they offered for a group interview. I emailed them to let them know that I couldn't make it, but that I was really interested in Georgetown and wanted to see if there were any other opportunities. I got an email back from the admissions office to the extent that the interviews really weren't a huge deal, and it definitely wouldn't count against you if you couldn't make it. They did say that they would include the fact that I at least tried to reach out to reschedule in my file.

That said, I would at least reach out to them to tell them you are interested in the school even if you can't do the interview for whatever reason, since that seems to be what they are trying to figure out from the group interview process.

eaper

Postby eaper » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:05 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:If anyone has been following my posts, on 11/16 I received an interview request, which I accepted. My interviewer finally got in touch with me on 12/5. Quite the delay. Well, since then I haven't heard from him again to finalize the time and place of our interview, which was tentatively scheduled for tomorrow. If I don't hear from him in the next few hours I will be very disappointed.

=\ That really sucks... I got my interview request on 12/1 and already have mine scheduled for 12/14.

Lurkster

Postby Lurkster » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:29 pm

Lily Pad wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:has anyone denied an interview request (group interview on a specific date/location, and i will be out of state) any not been punished for it??

Don't be worried. I have a job that is challenging to schedule around, so I couldn't make any of the times they offered for a group interview. I emailed them to let them know that I couldn't make it, but that I was really interested in Georgetown and wanted to see if there were any other opportunities. I got an email back from the admissions office to the extent that the interviews really weren't a huge deal, and it definitely wouldn't count against you if you couldn't make it. They did say that they would include the fact that I at least tried to reach out to reschedule in my file.

That said, I would at least reach out to them to tell them you are interested in the school even if you can't do the interview for whatever reason, since that seems to be what they are trying to figure out from the group interview process.

Good point, I think declining the group interview probably wouldn't affect you as much as it would if you declined the personal interview request, since it's for a specific date/time and you can go about it as Lily Pad did.

The individual interview request, however, I think would be something that you couldn't reasonably decline.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:44 pm

eaper wrote:
ColtsFan88 wrote:If anyone has been following my posts, on 11/16 I received an interview request, which I accepted. My interviewer finally got in touch with me on 12/5. Quite the delay. Well, since then I haven't heard from him again to finalize the time and place of our interview, which was tentatively scheduled for tomorrow. If I don't hear from him in the next few hours I will be very disappointed.

=\ That really sucks... I got my interview request on 12/1 and already have mine scheduled for 12/14.

Ugh! That's so frustrating (sorry to rant, congratulations on setting your interview). I got my request on 11/28 and I have not heard a single thing, and colts' story terrifies me.

Would it be a bad idea to email Georgetown and let them know I haven't heard yet? Just a short, polite "I was worried that perhaps my email filtered out the initial message" sort of thing...this is seriously driving me NUTS. I really want to move the process along!

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:55 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Ugh! That's so frustrating (sorry to rant, congratulations on setting your interview). I got my request on 11/28 and I have not heard a single thing, and colts' story terrifies me.

Would it be a bad idea to email Georgetown and let them know I haven't heard yet? Just a short, polite "I was worried that perhaps my email filtered out the initial message" sort of thing...this is seriously driving me NUTS. I really want to move the process along!

Yeah, that sucks for Colts. Hopefully, that gets resolved positively. I can't imagine them holding it against you though if you interviewer drops the ball.

FWIW, crumps, I received a request on 12/1 and haven't heard anything yet. If I don't hear anything by 3pm EST tomorrow, I'm going to send a brief, polite notification email to GULC to check in and make sure I wasn't lost in the shuffle.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”