Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
manofjustice

Silver

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by manofjustice » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:21 am

jackel25 wrote:I feel like everyone and their mother is on the georgetown waitlist
Haha. MY mother is on the Georgetown waitlist. It's hella weird...

camillefisch

New

Post by camillefisch » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:35 pm

In!! How much was your initial deposit?

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:43 pm

Did anybody else get the e-mail from Dean Cornblatt basically saying that he will give a definite answer by June 25th?

ricsllscir

Bronze

Post by ricsllscir » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:17 am

Question....does anyone know where to locate one's Georgetown ID (GoCard#). Trying to fill out the yellow form /financial aid info and my admissions package was sent to a different address. anyone else have a similar issue? First world problems, I know, but all these numbers and ID's are killin me (smalls)

moxy

Bronze

Post by moxy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:16 am

ricsllscir wrote:Question....does anyone know where to locate one's Georgetown ID (GoCard#). Trying to fill out the yellow form /financial aid info and my admissions package was sent to a different address. anyone else have a similar issue? First world problems, I know, but all these numbers and ID's are killin me (smalls)

Do you have access to the admitted students website? On the home page of the Admitted Students Website, find the 'Quick Links' section (bottom right corner of the webpage) and click on 'Your Credentials (NETID/GOCARD). It takes a week or so after you receive access to the website, for the link to be generated. Hope this helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

camillefisch

New

Post by camillefisch » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:45 am

Yea, I was only able to do mine yesterday. You have to wait for the "Credentials" button to appear on the right of the page at the bottom. I don't have my admissions packet yet either....

ajax

Bronze

Post by ajax » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:37 am

FYI for those of you admitted early in the cycle with no scholarship offer:

"@7:00: Scholarships are used by law school admissions offices as recruiting tools. Every school has different renewal criteria. The law school where I work used to offer enormous scholarships (full tuition plus living stipends) that carried renewal standards that typically required people to be in the top 10% of the class. We've relaxed those standards a bit in recent years (and reduced the value of the scholarships accordingly).

Some schools offer scholarships with "good standing renewal" and some schools still have the high value scholarships with very high renewal standards, and some schools are in between.

What I'm hearing is that many schools, early on in the application cycle, made big scholarship offers to their applicants. Now those applicants are getting in off of the wait-lists at higher-ranked schools, so they're leaving their scholarships at the lower-ranked schools behind. Those lower-ranked schools are "recycling" these scholarship offers to new applicants or people on their wait-lists. It is possible that at some of these schools, there were admits in March/April who received no scholarships (because at the time the schools had extended as many offers as they could) and paid seat deposits, and now there are less qualified applicants receiving admission AND scholarship offers, because why would the admissions office go back and give a scholarship to someone who's already paid a seat deposit? (Not saying I agree with this thinking...just trying to explain the thinking.)

As Prof. Campos has pointed out in past entries, scholarships are essentially discounts off of sticker price for students with high LSAT scores. These scholarships are subsidized by the students with low LSAT scores. For the most part, the low LSAT students don't do as well in law school, either, so they end up saddled with debilitating debt and struggling to pass the bar exam and get a job. It is a perverse system."

wiseguy33

Bronze

Post by wiseguy33 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:41 am

FYI for those wondering about scholly $$: I negotiated my scholarship amount last year to more than 3x what GULC offered initially. Use other schools' offers as leverage and play the game. A few emails could net you tens of thousands of dollars. Do it.

OhHelpMeLawd

New

Post by OhHelpMeLawd » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:48 pm

How does need-based work with Gtown? Do they offer significant sums? What do you need to get it (i.e. submit tax forms?) I heard in the past need-based is guaranteed so that if need falls merit takes over. Do they still do that?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:00 pm

OhHelpMeLawd wrote:How does need-based work with Gtown? Do they offer significant sums? What do you need to get it (i.e. submit tax forms?) I heard in the past need-based is guaranteed so that if need falls merit takes over. Do they still do that?
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”