Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TMC116

Bronze

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by TMC116 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:00 pm

wendys27 wrote:
Lurkster wrote:I was just able to generate a username/password for the ASW...

:shock:
Same but it wont log in
how does one do this?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:02 pm

Lurkster wrote:
Samara wrote:Why do you people do this to yourselves?
What's this "you people" stuff?
You people who try every backdoor way to find out the second you get accepted. And now, people are finding themselves in situations where they think they're in, but they're not sure, which is only more nerve-wracking. Just wait for the official letter/email. It's only like a day or two later and it's much saner.

Lurkster

Bronze

Post by Lurkster » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:03 pm

Samara wrote:
Lurkster wrote:
You people who try every backdoor way to find out the second you get accepted. And now, people are finding themselves in situations where they think they're in, but they're not sure, which is only more nerve-wracking. Just wait for the official letter/email. It's only like a day or two later and it's much saner.
It was a joke.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:04 pm

Lurkster wrote:
Samara wrote:
Lurkster wrote:
It was a joke.
:oops: :oops: :oops:

ColtsFan88

Silver

Post by ColtsFan88 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:42 pm

People are using the Michigan ASW to see if they have been accepted before they get an update or letter, and it has been accurate there. I would think that the GTown ASW would work the same way, but who knows.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cogitoergosum

Silver

Post by cogitoergosum » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:46 pm

I have my alumni interview tomorrow. If the interviewer throws me a why georgetown I'm not totally sure what to say. I mean the honest answer is because it's a great school, and because I think it will offer me great job prospects. But I have a feeling they want more than that...

Any advice?

ColtsFan88

Silver

Post by ColtsFan88 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:53 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:I have my alumni interview tomorrow. If the interviewer throws me a why georgetown I'm not totally sure what to say. I mean the honest answer is because it's a great school, and because I think it will offer me great job prospects. But I have a feeling they want more than that...

Any advice?
I'm very interested in working for the federal government so I talked about their location in D.C. and the number of clinics and externships that are related to government work.

EDIT: Also, I would definitely expect a Why Law? and Why GTown? Those were the only two questions I was asked and it seems like that has been the case for many other interviewees.

scottybared

Bronze

Post by scottybared » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:54 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:I have my alumni interview tomorrow. If the interviewer throws me a why georgetown I'm not totally sure what to say. I mean the honest answer is because it's a great school, and because I think it will offer me great job prospects. But I have a feeling they want more than that...

Any advice?
Look through their website and viewbook and find a specific program or journal that interests you. There's a lot to like at Georgetown and I'm sure you can find something that really piques your interest. Also, my interviewer and others at GULC that I've talked to have really seemed to be proud of the school's location. The fact that its the only T14 school in the nation's capital means that there's opportunities that you won't find elsewhere.

DWinter18

New

Post by DWinter18 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:54 pm

I had my alum interview yesterday by phone, it went very well. He said he'd highly recommend me. Now my status got updated again to complete for today's date. I'm URM Mexican, 169/3.38 (is that average?). Does having the interview mean I was borderline? And if it went well, I should have a good shot? I don't want to prematurely get my hopes up. I live by the mantra "no expectations" but I am beyond curious.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:56 pm

Status updated to today after my interview last night.

scottybared

Bronze

Post by scottybared » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:57 pm

DWinter18 wrote:I had my alum interview yesterday by phone, it went very well. He said he'd highly recommend me. Now my status got updated again to complete for today's date. I'm URM Mexican, 169/3.38 (is that average?). Does having the interview mean I was borderline? And if it went well, I should have a good shot? I don't want to prematurely get my hopes up. I live by the mantra "no expectations" but I am beyond curious.
An interview is at least a good indicator that they like you enough to invest some time to learn more about you. Typically, the status updates a few days after the interview as they process the report from the interviewer and then again when a decision is made. Some have updated a day after the interview stuff was processed, some are still waiting.

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:57 pm

DWinter18 wrote:I had my alum interview yesterday by phone, it went very well. He said he'd highly recommend me. Now my status got updated again to complete for today's date. I'm URM Mexican, 169/3.38 (is that average?). Does having the interview mean I was borderline? And if it went well, I should have a good shot? I don't want to prematurely get my hopes up. I live by the mantra "no expectations" but I am beyond curious.
For people that got interviews last year (or maybe this data was referencing the year before that?), 40% were accepted, 40% were put on the preferred waitlist, 10% on the waitlist, 10% rejected.

But as a URM with a 169, I would venture to say you have an amazing shot at acceptance.

so_fetch

Bronze

Post by so_fetch » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:02 pm

Any advice?
Try to think of unique things you can say. Like, something you can only do in DC (like government stuff), or a clinic or program or something that only georgetown has, any ties to DC, particular job focuses/strengths, something about their program that you like that is unique, unique course of study that a lot of other peers don't offer. That's the "more" that you mentioned.

When they say Why Georgetown they are wondering "why do you want to go here instead of the other good schools you're applying to?" They want to know that if they let you in, there is a really good chance of you actually accepting. if you just say its a good school, they will logically come to the conclusion that you would go to a higher ranked school if possible. Give them the impression that you've thought a lot about it and this school would be a great fit for you and you could really see yourself going there and being successful there. Basically a Why X essay

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wendys27

New

Post by wendys27 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:07 pm

Is it a bad sign if you do not get an interview request?

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:08 pm

wendys27 wrote:Is it a bad sign if you do not get an interview request?
Most people who have been accepted ITT did not get one.

wendys27

New

Post by wendys27 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:08 pm

luxxe wrote:
wendys27 wrote:Is it a bad sign if you do not get an interview request?
Most people who have been accepted ITT did not get one.
Ok thanks

DWinter18

New

Post by DWinter18 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:09 pm

luxxe wrote:
For people that got interviews last year (or maybe this data was referencing the year before that?), 40% were accepted, 40% were put on the preferred waitlist, 10% on the waitlist, 10% rejected.

But as a URM with a 169, I would venture to say you have an amazing shot at acceptance.
Haha thanks, that makes me feel better. I am still going to wait until it's official, but the interviewer said he was really impressed with me so I hope all goes well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

so_fetch

Bronze

Post by so_fetch » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:09 pm

I think we all thought the interview meant you were borderline but there are more than a few people who got interviews were seemingly above "borderline." so who knows. Some speculated that they are trying to help the alumni feel involved and maybe that's why they are doing more interviews.

Personally I think your stats are borderline/good for georgetown but with your URM status I would guess you're above borderline. Maybe they wanted to get a feel for if you were serious about georgetown since it's likely you will probably get in some other great places. But anyway who cares if they thought you were borderline or what , if it went well then you should feel good about it and my guess is you have a good shot!

so_fetch

Bronze

Post by so_fetch » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:15 pm

just got an email about the PILS program. Guessing others did too? it was not really an invitation , more like a notification that the application is available

crumpledq

Bronze

Post by crumpledq » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:18 pm

so_fetch wrote:just got an email about the PILS program. Guessing others did too? it was not really an invitation , more like a notification that the application is available
+1

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:22 pm

crumpledq wrote:
so_fetch wrote:just got an email about the PILS program. Guessing others did too? it was not really an invitation , more like a notification that the application is available
+1
Was thinking about applying, then saw that only up to 8 students get it a year and read about the current PILS.

If you're feeling masochistic:
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/pils/scholars.htm

Probably not going to be bothering with that.......

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:25 pm

luxxe wrote: Was thinking about applying, then saw that only up to 8 students get it a year and read about the current PILS.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:25 pm

luxxe wrote:
crumpledq wrote:
+1
Was thinking about applying, then saw that only up to 8 students get it a year and read about the current PILS.

Im so underaccomplished

so_fetch

Bronze

Post by so_fetch » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:43 pm

luxxe wrote:
crumpledq wrote:
+1

Wow that link made me feel the same way that I felt when I read the sample personal statements in the book "How to Get Into the Top Law Schools (if you already have a PhD and 5 yrs work experience in the same field, have a passion for helping poor/abused kids and that is your current job, and/or were abandoned by your parents in a war-torn country and are now a refugee)" by Richard Montauk

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:56 pm

I got the e-mail too... but I am not interested in PI so I won't be applying

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”