Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MyPrecious

New

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by MyPrecious » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:17 pm

avd90 wrote:
broncos_fan_26 wrote:For those of you that received your mailings today, what date was it postmarked/ what state do you live in?
Thanks
Feb 13th and I'm in boston
Also 2/13, in NJ

moxy

Bronze

Post by moxy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:22 pm

This has probably been discussed on here .. but does generating a password for the admitted students website indicate an acceptance. I am afraid if this is a sick joke, or a system error, or something like that ..

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:23 pm

moxy wrote:This has probably been discussed on here .. but does generating a password for the admitted students website indicate an acceptance. I am afraid if this is a sick joke, or a system error, or something like that ..
Yes, yes it has been discussed.

congratulations

southernsuperstar

Bronze

Post by southernsuperstar » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:27 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
moxy wrote:This has probably been discussed on here .. but does generating a password for the admitted students website indicate an acceptance. I am afraid if this is a sick joke, or a system error, or something like that ..

congratulations
Do you PROMISE?? I feel like if anyone would be the ones tricked by a mistake, it would be moxy or me....I just got emailed my username and password :D :lol:

moxy

Bronze

Post by moxy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:29 pm

southernsuperstar wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:

congratulations
Do you PROMISE?? I feel like if anyone would be the ones tricked by a mistake, it would be moxy or me....I just got emailed my username and password :D :lol:

I am so happy for you!!! Congratulations. If this turns out to be some kind of a mistake ... I refuse to accept it as one .. and I will walk into Gtown and start attending classes in the fall.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

utilityname

New

Post by utilityname » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:40 pm

moxy wrote:
southernsuperstar wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:

congratulations

I am so happy for you!!! Congratulations. If this turns out to be some kind of a mistake ... I refuse to accept it as one .. and I will walk into Gtown and start attending classes in the fall.
I say we draw straws and have someone call the school to verify once and for all :)

Leighmak

New

Post by Leighmak » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:42 pm

Did those of you who just received letters have your last update on 2/13?

avd90

Bronze

Post by avd90 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:45 pm

Yeah, and my status changed on 2/8

broncos_fan_26

Bronze

Post by broncos_fan_26 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:59 pm

avd90 wrote:
broncos_fan_26 wrote:For those of you that received your mailings today, what date was it postmarked/ what state do you live in?
Thanks
Feb 13th and I'm in boston

Thanks. My address changed, and although it is same city, and all my mail has been getting forwarded, I am perpetually nervous.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hanman

New

Post by hanman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:06 pm

placed in the 'special' group within the preferred waiting list this morning...would really love to get off it and want to send my LOCI in today. would anyone be willing to read mine? i would really really appreciate it !!

NJPitcher

Bronze

Post by NJPitcher » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:35 pm

Special group in preferred waitlist. Does anyone have numbers on how many are in each tier of this real big waitlist?

gravityrides0

Silver

Post by gravityrides0 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:37 pm

another week. another refreshing of the status checker. another 1/6. sigh.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:44 pm

hanman wrote:placed in the 'special' group within the preferred waiting list this morning...would really love to get off it and want to send my LOCI in today. would anyone be willing to read mine? i would really really appreciate it !!
I tried to send you a PM, but then comp froze...in case you didn't get the PM, I'd be willing to read it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cylon_clone

Bronze

Post by cylon_clone » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:51 pm

In today. thin letter dated 2/13.

There was a time when studying in DC was a dream. Now I just don't know how I could rank Gtown over Duke - barring a boatload of money. Clinton vs Nixon...Clinton vs Nixon...Sophie's Choice.

utilityname

New

Post by utilityname » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:35 pm

cylon_clone wrote:In today. thin letter dated 2/13.

There was a time when studying in DC was a dream. Now I just don't know how I could rank Gtown over Duke - barring a boatload of money. Clinton vs Nixon...Clinton vs Nixon...Sophie's Choice.
Still a dream here! Duke definitely has an X factor, idk. But I don't think I could pass up DC for three years. There something intangible about DC. Especially the thought of law school in DC. Personal pref though, all else being fairly equal.

NJDevilsfan

New

Post by NJDevilsfan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:39 pm

So just had my interview today (I think it went well). About how long do you all think it will take to hear back?

QueMellow

Bronze

Post by QueMellow » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:34 am

NJDevilsfan wrote:So just had my interview today (I think it went well). About how long do you all think it will take to hear back?

I could generate an ASW username and password exactly 6 days after our interview.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cylon_clone

Bronze

Post by cylon_clone » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:16 am

utilityname wrote:
cylon_clone wrote:In today. thin letter dated 2/13.

Still a dream here! Duke definitely has an X factor, idk. But I don't think I could pass up DC for three years. There something intangible about DC. Especially the thought of law school in DC. Personal pref though, all else being fairly equal.
I want to work in DC, but I don't think it would be an ideal place to study. Either you can pay $1000+ to live close to the school - which seemed in a really boring area when I passed by it on my last trip to DC. Or save a couple hundred bucks and have a 30+ minute commute every day from some sketchy part of the city or surrounding burbs on the overcrowded metro. The DC clubs are probably a blast and the internship opportunities are unparalleled. But for that same amount of money you could live like a king (or queen) in Durham, NC and have a higher/simpler quality of living in a place with high school spirit and strong DC alumni ties.

westcoast

Bronze

Post by westcoast » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:32 am

I also just had my interview. Can't wait to get a decision.

applesoranges123

New

Post by applesoranges123 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:16 am

I heard that Georgetown is planning on cutting its class size for next year? (Not sure if this is true so please don't panic ppl!) Can anyone confirm this? Apparently it was stated in the school newspaper or something...Also why are people talking about addressing LOCIs to Dean Cornblatt..I thought Treanor is the dean now..
Last edited by applesoranges123 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:20 am

cylon_clone wrote: I want to work in DC, but I don't think it would be an ideal place to study. Either you can pay $1000+ to live close to the school - which seemed in a really boring area when I passed by it on my last trip to DC. Or save a couple hundred bucks and have a 30+ minute commute every day from some sketchy part of the city or surrounding burbs on the overcrowded metro. The DC clubs are probably a blast and the internship opportunities are unparalleled. But for that same amount of money you could live like a king (or queen) in Durham, NC and have a higher/simpler quality of living in a place with high school spirit and strong DC alumni ties.
lol wut. These are not your only two options in DC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

utilityname

New

Post by utilityname » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:45 am

luxxe wrote:
cylon_clone wrote: I want to work in DC, but I don't think it would be an ideal place to study. Either you can pay $1000+ to live close to the school - which seemed in a really boring area when I passed by it on my last trip to DC. Or save a couple hundred bucks and have a 30+ minute commute every day from some sketchy part of the city or surrounding burbs on the overcrowded metro. The DC clubs are probably a blast and the internship opportunities are unparalleled. But for that same amount of money you could live like a king (or queen) in Durham, NC and have a higher/simpler quality of living in a place with high school spirit and strong DC alumni ties.
lol wut. These are not your only two options in DC.
Definitely not. It might be a bit more expensive, but the area around GULC is actually pretty nice... the campus itself is outstanding. And if you're willing to pay 1000/1200 and split a house, you can get a siiiick place on capitol hill. I mean sick. On the other hand, southern weather and low COL is pretty tempting. DC is definitely pricy however you cut it. I feel like it used to be just NY was outrageous... now it's Boston, DC, etc. Though I really think that being able to work during 2L and 3L balances the scales between a place like Duke/Cornell and something in a major metro, whether it's DC or elsewhere. Cut you're debt one way or the other. My plan/hope at least...

FYI Philly is very affordable and a blast if you're looking for an alt to NY/DC.

jhw219

New

Post by jhw219 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:02 pm

applesoranges123 wrote:I heard that Georgetown is planning on cutting its class size for next year? (Not sure if this is true so please don't panic ppl!) Can anyone confirm this? Apparently it was stated in the school newspaper or something...Also why are people talking about addressing LOCIs to Dean Cornblatt..I thought Treanor is the dean now..
Dean Cornblatt is the Dean of Admissions and is therefore the one that reads all the apps and LOCIs

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:09 pm

utilityname wrote: Definitely not. It might be a bit more expensive, but the area around GULC is actually pretty nice... the campus itself is outstanding. And if you're willing to pay 1000/1200 and split a house, you can get a siiiick place on capitol hill. I mean sick. On the other hand, southern weather and low COL is pretty tempting. DC is definitely pricy however you cut it. I feel like it used to be just NY was outrageous... now it's Boston, DC, etc. Though I really think that being able to work during 2L and 3L balances the scales between a place like Duke/Cornell and something in a major metro, whether it's DC or elsewhere. Cut you're debt one way or the other. My plan/hope at least...
Yep. If I end up at GULC, I'll live on campus 1L, but I definitely want to move into a gorgeous row house in Capitol Hill after that. I can definitely understand going to Duke/UVA/Cornell over GULC if you want to do biglaw/don't want to work or live in DC, but I want to do policy work in DC and hate college towns.

I just hate people bad mouthing my favorite city in the world :mrgreen:.

avd90

Bronze

Post by avd90 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:19 pm

DC is inarguably awesome. I find it tied with Boston (where I am), but no where beats the city (NYC). Now that I'm proudly in at GULC, I am really really thinking about it, despite so many TLSer telling me that it blows etc.

Unlike many TLSers, I really have zero desire to spend three years in a college town. I go to BC, which is suburban, and I am really really sick of college style life. I want to move to a city and feel like an actual person. That, plus I prefer city living so much. I went into the law school search saying NYC or bust... but really DC would be okay too. This, of course, is before I realized all the negative aspects of GULC's reputation.

I love the school and I am really considering it but I have yet to hear from 12 schools... (I had fee waivers, do not judge). Maybe I should hold off seriously considering anything at this point in my cycle, but I ask you guys.. why does GTOWN get such a bad rep. GTOWN is so highly ranked for international law, but why does nearly everyone here tell me not to even consider it?

HELP

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”