Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Take Two
Posts: 552
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:30 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Take Two » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:29 am

well I dont know exactly what the process is, but I was asked to submit and essay for the Dean's in my acceptance letter

KaleidoscopeEyes
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:18 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby KaleidoscopeEyes » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:44 am

cogitoergosum wrote:
MachineLemon wrote:Anybody else notice the jump in award money this cycle? Any ideas why?

This year, I'm seeing several awards of 144k on LSN. Last year, with one exception, the awards seem to top out at 135k.

Did tuition go up by 3k/yr? Maybe that could be it?

I received the Dean's, and they had an estimate for 2012-2013 tuition on it. It was $55,220 in tuition, so it does appear to have gone up.

User avatar
MachineLemon
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:47 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MachineLemon » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:30 pm

Take Two wrote:well I dont know exactly what the process is, but I was asked to submit and essay for the Dean's in my acceptance letter


Hmm, we have similar numbers and I did not receive a request. Did you have an interview by any chance? I did and I wonder if they don't request essays from the folks they interview.

KaleidoscopeEyes, did you receive a request?

User avatar
Take Two
Posts: 552
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:30 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Take Two » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:59 pm

MachineLemon wrote:
Take Two wrote:well I dont know exactly what the process is, but I was asked to submit and essay for the Dean's in my acceptance letter


Hmm, we have similar numbers and I did not receive a request. Did you have an interview by any chance? I did and I wonder if they don't request essays from the folks they interview.

KaleidoscopeEyes, did you receive a request?


oh yeah that could be it, I didnt have an interview

KaleidoscopeEyes
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:18 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby KaleidoscopeEyes » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:00 pm

Take Two wrote:
MachineLemon wrote:
Take Two wrote:well I dont know exactly what the process is, but I was asked to submit and essay for the Dean's in my acceptance letter


Hmm, we have similar numbers and I did not receive a request. Did you have an interview by any chance? I did and I wonder if they don't request essays from the folks they interview.

KaleidoscopeEyes, did you receive a request?


oh yeah that could be it, I didnt have an interview

No interview here either

User avatar
MachineLemon
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:47 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MachineLemon » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:54 pm

KaleidoscopeEyes wrote:
Take Two wrote:
oh yeah that could be it, I didnt have an interview

No interview here either


That's really interesting, we may have discovered something new here. I'll post if I get the scholarship.

I really hope I do, too. 48k/year at Cornell would be pretty much /cycle. I am very debt averse and have several friends at Cornell.

46nyc
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby 46nyc » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:52 pm

MachineLemon wrote:
KaleidoscopeEyes wrote:
Take Two wrote:
oh yeah that could be it, I didnt have an interview

No interview here either


That's really interesting, we may have discovered something new here. I'll post if I get the scholarship.

I really hope I do, too. 48k/year at Cornell would be pretty much /cycle. I am very debt averse and have several friends at Cornell.


I'm not trying to get you guys down, but I was under consideration for the Dean's and got my scholarship letter Monday saying I didn't get it. The letter implied that they were done with the selection process for the Dean's... There still might be a chance though and with high numbers you'll probably get something almost as good if they are done with the Dean's!

User avatar
MachineLemon
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:47 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MachineLemon » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:02 pm

46nyc wrote:
MachineLemon wrote:
KaleidoscopeEyes wrote:
Take Two wrote:
oh yeah that could be it, I didnt have an interview

No interview here either


That's really interesting, we may have discovered something new here. I'll post if I get the scholarship.

I really hope I do, too. 48k/year at Cornell would be pretty much /cycle. I am very debt averse and have several friends at Cornell.


I'm not trying to get you guys down, but I was under consideration for the Dean's and got my scholarship letter Monday saying I didn't get it. The letter implied that they were done with the selection process for the Dean's... There still might be a chance though and with high numbers you'll probably get something almost as good if they are done with the Dean's!


That's too bad. Sorry you didn't get it. If you don't mind, did you interview? Also, out of curiosity what was the turnaround time on your award decision?

46nyc
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby 46nyc » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:52 pm

MachineLemon wrote:That's too bad. Sorry you didn't get it. If you don't mind, did you interview? Also, out of curiosity what was the turnaround time on your award decision?


No, I didn't interview. I was in the earliest admits (late November/early December) and my acceptance email invited me to write the essay. I sent that in January, and got the scholarship email this Monday. Maybe after some of the people who got the big scholarship turn it down, they'll give it to us!

Funny thing is, I ended up getting a way larger scholarship from Cornell than I did from Michigan and COA over 3 years at is still higher at Cornell than Michigan.

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby aekea » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:56 pm

MachineLemon wrote:
46nyc wrote:
I'm not trying to get you guys down, but I was under consideration for the Dean's and got my scholarship letter Monday saying I didn't get it. The letter implied that they were done with the selection process for the Dean's... There still might be a chance though and with high numbers you'll probably get something almost as good if they are done with the Dean's!


That's too bad. Sorry you didn't get it. If you don't mind, did you interview? Also, out of curiosity what was the turnaround time on your award decision?


MachineLemon, what was the interview for? Did you get accepted and then you got the interview? Or did they tell you that the interview was for scholarship consideration? I did the essay for the Dean's Scholarship and didn't get it but received a smaller award. I'm inclined to agree with 46nyc though that they're done with Dean's Scholarship awards because there are already 4 people reporting that scholarship on LSN and they only offer up to 10 according to the letter detailing how to apply for it. I know LSN skews towards the more qualified applicants, but not even close to 40% are represented from the applicant pool and I'm guessing they informed all the recipients at the same time seeing as everyone reporting the dean's scholarship updated around the same time. I suppose it's possible if people withdraw they'll redistribute awards. I don't know if Cornell is known for doing that.

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby aekea » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:00 pm

46nyc wrote:
Funny thing is, I ended up getting a way larger scholarship from Cornell than I did from Michigan and COA over 3 years at is still higher at Cornell than Michigan.


I think I have the same scholarships as you. I think Michigan underestimates cost of living, though because they're budget only includes 8 months, whereas most schools include 9. I figured Cornell would be slightly cheaper but only slightly.

46nyc
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby 46nyc » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:14 pm

aekea wrote:
46nyc wrote:
Funny thing is, I ended up getting a way larger scholarship from Cornell than I did from Michigan and COA over 3 years at is still higher at Cornell than Michigan.


I think I have the same scholarships as you. I think Michigan underestimates cost of living, though because they're budget only includes 8 months, whereas most schools include 9. I figured Cornell would be slightly cheaper but only slightly.


Oh, I didn't notice that until now! Interesting. Yeah, Cornell is pretty much out of the running for me now, but I already have plane tickets to ASW so I might as well see if I like it.

User avatar
MachineLemon
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:47 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MachineLemon » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:43 pm

aekea wrote:MachineLemon, what was the interview for?


They conduct interviews with 150 applicants each year during February and March. I was accepted following the interview. I submitted my financial aid information a few weeks later. You guys are probably right based on last year's numbers.

cmd72215
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:47 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cmd72215 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:29 pm

updated to 3/8...anyone else?

User avatar
la Rochejaquelein
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:00 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby la Rochejaquelein » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:49 pm

Alright folks, I'm getting restless after dings from Duke and UVA this week and am debating whether I should write a pre-decision LOCI to Cornell. I still haven't heard anything from them since 1/22. Thoughts?

User avatar
Green Glass Windows
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Green Glass Windows » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:50 pm

cmd72215 wrote:updated to 3/8...anyone else?

I wish....

User avatar
thelawschoolproject
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelawschoolproject » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:53 pm

Green Glass Windows wrote:
cmd72215 wrote:updated to 3/8...anyone else?

I wish....



3/6? Moved from 12/22.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Lincoln » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:54 pm

la Rochejaquelein wrote:Alright folks, I'm getting restless after dings from Duke and UVA this week and am debating whether I should write a pre-decision LOCI to Cornell. I still haven't heard anything from them since 1/22. Thoughts?


I think your chances are pretty marginal with your numbers, sorry to say. I don't think it makes much difference, but given your slim chances, why not?

User avatar
Green Glass Windows
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Green Glass Windows » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:06 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
Green Glass Windows wrote:
cmd72215 wrote:updated to 3/8...anyone else?

I wish....



3/6? Moved from 12/22.

Still just... sitting on 12/15. :cry: Left behind. No love anywhere.

P-salms
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:36 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby P-salms » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:17 pm

cmd72215 wrote:updated to 3/8...anyone else?



also updated to 3/8...EA deferred applicant..12/16, 2/16, 2/24, 3/2 :|

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby gaud » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:36 pm

Also updated today. After last week, I think I know where it's headed: :(

Image

Good luck to the rest of you!

User avatar
Moriarty
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:29 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Moriarty » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:03 pm

I updated to 3/8, too.

User avatar
thelawschoolproject
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelawschoolproject » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:27 pm

Uh oh...scurry.

moshid
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:15 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby moshid » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:43 pm

i updated today too

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:43 pm

Cornell, y u no update? :cry:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”