Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Green Glass Windows
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Green Glass Windows » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:23 am

Finally complete as of today!

Now it's a party.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:44 am

Green Glass Windows wrote:Finally complete as of today!

Now it's a party.

Happy to hear it

User avatar
T00L
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby T00L » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:50 am

Green Glass Windows wrote:Finally complete as of today!

Now it's a party.


Could this mean they are finished making ED decisions and are just waiting until 3:42 to release them all?

Nobody
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nobody » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:51 am

Moving away from your spouse is insanity. There is absolutely no reason to do it, especially for Cornell--it's not like you're in at Stanford or Chicago or something. If you're from New York, Fordham might not be totally crazy depending on who you're friends with. Do you have any real connections to lawyers with smaller practices that don't typically hire freshman classes but might be interested in hiring you? My rule for those lower ranked schools is that they're too dangerous without any personal "in" somewhere, but as a native New Yorker you'll have much better connections than somebody who moved to Fordham for a chance to make it big. Depending on what you want, Fordham might be acceptable.

You could also take on a crushing debt load that would bury both you and your spouse in nondischargeable debt and make it impossible for you to ever responsibly raise children. But again, that depends on your individual situation. If you get a decent scholarship (my understanding is that Fordham doesn't give really great ones, though), and your spouse is working and willing to foot some of the bill (and also has a very realistic understanding that a Fordham degree will almost certainly not translate into a job that pays 100k+ right out of school), it might be a realistic decision for you.

But don't leave your spouse for Cornell.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:01 pm

T00L wrote:
Green Glass Windows wrote:Finally complete as of today!

Now it's a party.


Could this mean they are finished making ED decisions and are just waiting until 3:42 to release them all?

I certainly hope so

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby minnbills » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:01 pm

msblaw89 wrote:I certainly hope so


But if they haven't notified us.... see where I'm going with this?

User avatar
crumpledq
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby crumpledq » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:02 pm

Nobody wrote:Moving away from your spouse is insanity.


As someone who may be moving to NYC for law school while my spouse stays in DC, and who does not consider myself or my husband to be insane, this is a bit of an unfair statement. But the choice to live in different cities a very serious decision and depends on the individual couple's situation. For us, keeping my husband's biglaw job is very important both for paying off his law school debt as well as for the substance of the work--he has the best job at the best firm at this point in his career in his particular, specialized field. Also, we have done long distance before on the I-95/Amtrak corridor and we know what to expect, so it is less of a scary unknown.

My point is just that individual circumstances vary, and it's important not to be too judgmental about the very personal decisions of others. If there are other folks like cogito and me who are faced with the long-distance-marriage question, I'd would be happy to chat via PM or in a new thread, perhaps.
Last edited by crumpledq on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nobody
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nobody » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:06 pm

I would say that DC and New York are a bit of a special case, since the cities are so connected by transit. I know a few couples where one half works in each city. In that case, it's more of giving yourself a supercommute. Cornell is technically as far away as DC is, but way more cut off.

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Unagi » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:18 pm

Well, I'm moving to the US and my husband will be very far from me. At least a 10 hour flight.
I bet your situation doesn't look that bad now :wink:

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cogitoergosum » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:28 pm

T00L wrote:
Green Glass Windows wrote:Finally complete as of today!

Now it's a party.


Could this mean they are finished making ED decisions and are just waiting until 3:42 to release them all?

I'm pretty sure that's the only thing it could possibly mean.

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cogitoergosum » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:32 pm

crumpledq wrote:
Nobody wrote:Moving away from your spouse is insanity.


As someone who may be moving to NYC for law school while my spouse stays in DC, and who does not consider myself or my husband to be insane, this is a bit of an unfair statement. But the choice to live in different cities a very serious decision and depends on the individual couple's situation. For us, keeping my husband's biglaw job is very important both for paying off his law school debt as well as for the substance of the work--he has the best job at the best firm at this point in his career in his particular, specialized field. Also, we have done long distance before on the I-95/Amtrak corridor and we know what to expect, so it is less of a scary unknown.

My point is just that individual circumstances vary, and it's important not to be too judgmental about the very personal decisions of others. If there are other folks like cogito and me who are faced with the long-distance-marriage question, I'd would be happy to chat via PM or in a new thread, perhaps.

Agreed. Thanks for the input CQ. Sorry the thread got so real last night. I suppose the crazy TLS is a lot more fun than real TLS, but this is a pretty big part of my own cycle, and it's similar for at least a few others, so I do appreciate you guys weighing in. Everyone sees this whole process a bit differently.

CQ, would you just be in NYC for the week and try to get to DC most weekends or??
Last edited by cogitoergosum on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Green Glass Windows
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Green Glass Windows » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:33 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
Could this mean they are finished making ED decisions and are just waiting until 3:42 to release them all?

I'm pretty sure that's the only thing it could possibly mean.[/quote]

I'm gonna cross my fingers and go with yes for you guys. Good luck!

unitedfrutopia
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:30 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby unitedfrutopia » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:46 pm

Stuck at 11/28, EA.

sums
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sums » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:50 pm

Well, I just went complete for a second time. My first complete was 11/17 but for some reason they still considered me EA. Ahhhhh fingers crossed, I need all the luck I can get

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cogitoergosum » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:52 pm

sums wrote:Well, I just went complete for a second time. My first complete was 11/17 but for some reason they still considered me EA. Ahhhhh fingers crossed, I need all the luck I can get

Cool, at least we've got something going on today... Good luck.

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby EMZE » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:59 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
crumpledq wrote:
Nobody wrote:Moving away from your spouse is insanity.


As someone who may be moving to NYC for law school while my spouse stays in DC, and who does not consider myself or my husband to be insane, this is a bit of an unfair statement. But the choice to live in different cities a very serious decision and depends on the individual couple's situation. For us, keeping my husband's biglaw job is very important both for paying off his law school debt as well as for the substance of the work--he has the best job at the best firm at this point in his career in his particular, specialized field. Also, we have done long distance before on the I-95/Amtrak corridor and we know what to expect, so it is less of a scary unknown.

My point is just that individual circumstances vary, and it's important not to be too judgmental about the very personal decisions of others. If there are other folks like cogito and me who are faced with the long-distance-marriage question, I'd would be happy to chat via PM or in a new thread, perhaps.

Agreed. Thanks for the input CQ. Sorry the thread got so real last night. I suppose the crazy TLS is a lot more fun than real TLS, but this is a pretty big part of my own cycle, and it's similar for at least a few others, so I do appreciate you guys weighing in. Everyone sees this whole process a bit differently.

CQ, would you just be in NYC for the week and try to get to DC most weekends or??


Personal experience as a dual-military family (w/o kids): My wife is deploying to Afg in March, and I am obv transitioning out of the military in June. She plans to transition out June 2013, when I will (hopefully) be finising up 1L at wherever I end up. In 4 years marriage, we have spent ~18 months together. I've been deployed while she was stateside, visa versa. Now, once she transitions out of the military, whether we end up in the same place is largely dependent on where I go to school compared to where she can find a job. She already has an M.A., and based on her background already has connections all over the world, and consequently offers reaching above what the top starting salaries for biglaw are. It would be foolish for me to try and put a hold on her career so I could go to a school in a location without a major market for her skill set. I have applied to schools near all the major cities, but to schools like Cornell as well. What is most important is the end result, that post law school I am able to find a job that finally allows us to co-locate. It is quite miserable doing the long distance marriage thing, and we have just been forced to adapt to it as a consequence of the military thing, but it is doable. It requires a lot of work as well. I wish you the best of luck with it though, if it does come down to that.

horrorbusiness
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby horrorbusiness » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:02 pm

sorry, but this is egregious anti-cornell and pro-clinger trolling. you dont even try to justify why it would be "insanity". a little bold of an opinion to be posited as fact. in the long run do you think op would seriously be more benefited by going to fordham over cornell? over the LONG run? do you really think so?


Nobody wrote:Moving away from your spouse is insanity. There is absolutely no reason to do it, especially for Cornell--it's not like you're in at Stanford or Chicago or something. If you're from New York, Fordham might not be totally crazy depending on who you're friends with. Do you have any real connections to lawyers with smaller practices that don't typically hire freshman classes but might be interested in hiring you? My rule for those lower ranked schools is that they're too dangerous without any personal "in" somewhere, but as a native New Yorker you'll have much better connections than somebody who moved to Fordham for a chance to make it big. Depending on what you want, Fordham might be acceptable.

You could also take on a crushing debt load that would bury both you and your spouse in nondischargeable debt and make it impossible for you to ever responsibly raise children. But again, that depends on your individual situation. If you get a decent scholarship (my understanding is that Fordham doesn't give really great ones, though), and your spouse is working and willing to foot some of the bill (and also has a very realistic understanding that a Fordham degree will almost certainly not translate into a job that pays 100k+ right out of school), it might be a realistic decision for you.

But don't leave your spouse for Cornell.

addy11
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby addy11 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:12 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:sorry, but this is egregious anti-cornell and pro-clinger trolling. you dont even try to justify why it would be "insanity". a little bold of an opinion to be posited as fact. in the long run do you think op would seriously be more benefited by going to fordham over cornell? over the LONG run? do you really think so?


Nobody wrote:Moving away from your spouse is insanity. There is absolutely no reason to do it, especially for Cornell--it's not like you're in at Stanford or Chicago or something. If you're from New York, Fordham might not be totally crazy depending on who you're friends with. Do you have any real connections to lawyers with smaller practices that don't typically hire freshman classes but might be interested in hiring you? My rule for those lower ranked schools is that they're too dangerous without any personal "in" somewhere, but as a native New Yorker you'll have much better connections than somebody who moved to Fordham for a chance to make it big. Depending on what you want, Fordham might be acceptable.

You could also take on a crushing debt load that would bury both you and your spouse in nondischargeable debt and make it impossible for you to ever responsibly raise children. But again, that depends on your individual situation. If you get a decent scholarship (my understanding is that Fordham doesn't give really great ones, though), and your spouse is working and willing to foot some of the bill (and also has a very realistic understanding that a Fordham degree will almost certainly not translate into a job that pays 100k+ right out of school), it might be a realistic decision for you.

But don't leave your spouse for Cornell.


I don't know. I guess I would have used more moderate diction, but I'm inclined to agree with the sentiment.

I think the OP might have been less "OMG Cornell sucks" than implying that the other schools (at least Stanford.. I would disagree with Chicago) really don't have any peers. Cornell is wonderful, but it has far more peers, including ones in DC (I would saw GW with $$ would be as attractive as Cornell sticker), or at least plugged into the Northeastern Megalopolis.

Law school is taxing and emotionally exhausting enough. Trips that normal long distance couples would make each weekend might be prevented by school work. Married/long term couples that live in the same city face their own battles, and they have physical proximity and the ability to always see the other, even if it's for 1/2 an hour on hellish weeks.

Ultimately each couple can gauge its own strengths and no one here is qualified or entitled to lecture them, but in most cases doing something like this should probably be done only when there are no other (or very few) options.

Nobody
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nobody » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:13 pm

Sorry everyone, I really didn't mean for that to come off as strongly as it did, especially the "insanity" part, which was flippant and insulting to people in similar circumstances, Obviously there are things that require spouses to separate without dooming their marriages. That being said, I don't think it's clingy to try and stay in the same city as your spouse. Cornell is closer than other schools, but a lot further away than it looks, and I would seriously consider the strain that going there would put on a relationship. That was all I meant to say; sorry if I overstated my case.

Nobody
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nobody » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:16 pm

addy11 wrote:I don't know. I guess I would have used more moderate diction, but I'm inclined to agree with the sentiment.

I think the OP might have been less "OMG Cornell sucks" than implying that the other schools (at least Stanford.. I would disagree with Chicago) really don't have any peers. Cornell is wonderful, but it has far more peers, including ones in DC (I would saw GW with $$ would be as attractive as Cornell sticker), or at least plugged into the Northeastern Megalopolis.

Law school is taxing and emotionally exhausting enough. Trips that normal long distance couples would make each weekend might be prevented by school work. Married/long term couples that live in the same city face their own battles, and they have physical proximity and the ability to always see the other, even if it's for 1/2 an hour on hellish weeks.

Ultimately each couple can gauge its own strengths and no one here is qualified or entitled to lecture them, but in most cases doing something like this should probably be done only when there are no other (or very few) options.


Also, this. I could easily end up at Cornell, and it's a great school, but to me it's not quite in the realm of making a significant and avoidable personal sacrifice like that.

unitedfrutopia
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:30 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby unitedfrutopia » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:18 pm

Cornell's placement is almost twice as strong as Fordham's. Cornell is TCR unless OP is getting $$ from Fordham or has personal connections that will lead to a job.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:38 pm

Cornell also places EXTREMELY well in big law... ever better than Harvard

addy11
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby addy11 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:39 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Cornell also places EXTREMELY well in big law... ever better than Harvard


Link?

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby gaud » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:40 pm

addy11 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Cornell also places EXTREMELY well in big law... ever better than Harvard


Link?



http://www.impactlitigation.com/2011/03 ... placement/

this one just touches on it

I didn't know about their placement being this high (i knew it was good)... so i'm 'googlin' right now

Mizz
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:51 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Mizz » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:41 pm





Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Assasindowntheavenue, bleakchimera2, jer0689, Pozzo, xn3345 and 27 guests