Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lrslayer

Silver

Re: Cornell c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by lrslayer » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:33 pm

This is something that really pisses me off about LSN. I think if you are going to be part of it, why not fill in your info? If you aren't interested in doing that, don't use the site! Oh and its annoying when people finish their cycle and don't bother to update where to got in or dinged. /rant

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:33 pm

lrslayer wrote:This is something that really pisses me off about LSN. I think if you are going to be part of it, why not fill in your info? If you aren't interested in doing that, don't use the site! Oh and its annoying when people finish their cycle and don't bother to update where to got in or dinged. /rant
*Runs off to LSN to update info

DonnaDraper

Bronze

Post by DonnaDraper » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:34 pm

Robespierre wrote:
Hopefully2012 wrote:Using admisionquestion's (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/m ... le&u=67390) method, I've been able to data mine the following information from LSN related to applicants who applied from day one to 11/2 in this cycle and compare it to last year's cycle:

2010-2011 Data:

Median LSAT: 169
Mean LSAT: 168.22
Median GPA: 3.71
Mean GPA: 3.648

2011-2012 Data:

Median LSAT: 170
Mean LSAT: 169.19
Median GPA: 3.75
Mean GPA: 3.669

2010-2011 Sample Size: 155
2011-2012 Sample Size: 83

Maybe more people will fill out LSN towards the end of the cycle but that is a pretty big discrepancy.

I thought this might be interesting to future hopeful Cornellians.
Wait, this is GOOD news, right? The people who've applied as of Nov. 2 are slightly higher-scoring than their counterparts last year (by 1 LSAT point, .04 GPA), but there are WAYYY fewer of them.

I suppose people might come on to LSN weeks from now and enter a pre-Nov. 2 "sent" date retroactively, but it doesn't seem like there would be that many of those. I think most people who are hyper enough to create an LSN profile tend to enter transactions as they happen.
Yea I don't know whether to be happy or sad with this info. 155 to 83 is a pretty big drop, but based on the medians it seems that the less qualified candidates are the ones that are dropping off. :?

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Yes, but it looks like the increase was minimal.

ETA: And these people applying to Cornell with higher numbers are probably going to go elsewhere.

JPudding

New

Post by JPudding » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:58 pm

DonnaDraper wrote:
Robespierre wrote:
Hopefully2012 wrote:Using admisionquestion's (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/m ... le&u=67390) method, I've been able to data mine the following information from LSN related to applicants who applied from day one to 11/2 in this cycle and compare it to last year's cycle:

2010-2011 Data:

2011-2012 Data:

Maybe more people will fill out LSN towards the end of the cycle but that is a pretty big discrepancy.

Wait, this is GOOD news, right? The people who've applied as of Nov. 2 are slightly higher-scoring than their counterparts last year (by 1 LSAT point, .04 GPA), but there are WAYYY fewer of them.

I suppose people might come on to LSN weeks from now and enter a pre-Nov. 2 "sent" date retroactively, but it doesn't seem like there would be that many of those. I think most people who are hyper enough to create an LSN profile tend to enter transactions as they happen.
Yea I don't know whether to be happy or sad with this info. 155 to 83 is a pretty big drop, but based on the medians it seems that the less qualified candidates are the ones that are dropping off. :?
So even though these LSN medians are up, with such a huge drop from 155 to 83 it would indicate that there are still less 168-170 LSATs to go around, no? In other words is this a sign that medians for acceptance might drop?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:02 pm

I feel like if any of them move it will be gpa. Schools fight hard to maintain LSAT medians.

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:03 pm

JPudding wrote:
DonnaDraper wrote:
Robespierre wrote:

2010-2011 Data:

2011-2012 Data:

So even though these LSN medians are up, with such a huge drop from 155 to 83 it would indicate that there are still less 168-170 LSATs to go around, no? In other words is this a sign that medians for acceptance might drop?
it would seem so. i was reading a similar conversation on the harvard (?) thread. but its different because of where cornell sits in the rankings. many of the high scoring applicants are going to go to harvard's huge class right? and then every other school above cornell. leaves cornell with having to sift through everyone else's sloppy seconds from above them no?

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Post by Hopefully2012 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:10 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:Yes, but it looks like the increase was minimal.

ETA: And these people applying to Cornell with higher numbers are probably going to go elsewhere.
This is the conclusion I came up with from the data. FWIW NYU's LSN data points dropped from 160 to 120. There are similar drops for WUSTL, Michigan and Penn. The only school to maintain/increase the amount of LSN data points was Northwestern (from 83 to 89 IIRC)--I'm pretty sure this has to do with their full tuition ED program implemented this year.

So far it looks like the decrease of LSAT takers has indeed affected the number of applicants in the pool as we all predicted it would.

A caveat is, as some of the other posters have pointed out, the people who go back and fill out all the LSN data after the end of their cycle.. to adjust for this, I only used data points from people who specified 9/3/2010 to 11/2/2010 in the 2010-2011 cycle and I used all the users currently registered for this cycle even if they didn't add submission dates. Therefore, the drop is likely to be even more than in my original post. HTH

DonnaDraper

Bronze

Post by DonnaDraper » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:18 pm

I think another aspect to take into consideration is the number of people who have an LSN profile, but have set their privacy settings to non-visible. (altho that group could probs be included in the post-cycle LSN people)

Also, does anyone think there is any chance that law schools will opt to lessen the number of students for their incoming classes? (I know we are trying to stay positive, but I am preparing for the worst/offering this up for the sake of debate)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:26 pm

DonnaDraper wrote:I think another aspect to take into consideration is the number of people who have an LSN profile, but have set their privacy settings to non-visible. (altho that group could probs be included in the post-cycle LSN people)

Also, does anyone think there is any chance that law schools will opt to lessen the number of students for their incoming classes? (I know we are trying to stay positive, but I am preparing for the worst/offering this up for the sake of debate)
this was also discussed on the hls thread. the answer seemed to be that it depends on the school. for example, harvard consistently maintains its class size while some schools decrease to maintain medians. i am not sure about cornell though.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:30 pm

DonnaDraper wrote:I think another aspect to take into consideration is the number of people who have an LSN profile, but have set their privacy settings to non-visible. (altho that group could probs be included in the post-cycle LSN people)

I think they will decrease some, but a school can only lessen its class size so much before having to cut employees/faculty members, etc, and I don't think they'll want to do that. I think a 10 percent drop is manageable, 20 percent, not so much.

But that's just me speculating out my ass.

law2015

Bronze

Post by law2015 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:41 pm

Just received a really nice looking Cornell booklet in the mail with an application fee waiver.

Cornelius

Silver

Post by Cornelius » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:46 pm

emkay625 wrote:

I think they will decrease some, but a school can only lessen its class size so much before having to cut employees/faculty members, etc, and I don't think they'll want to do that. I think a 10 percent drop is manageable, 20 percent, not so much.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gavinstevens

Bronze

Post by gavinstevens » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:50 pm

I hear Ithaca to NYC is three to four hours by bus or car, what about Boston?

I've looked up bus routes, etc. just wondering how long it actually takes.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:02 pm

about 5.5 hours -- only 5 to toronto : )

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:10 pm

gavinstevens wrote:I hear Ithaca to NYC is three to four hours by bus or car, what about Boston?

I've looked up bus routes, etc. just wondering how long it actually takes.
NYC is about four. Boston closer to six.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:49 pm

lrslayer wrote:This is something that really pisses me off about LSN. I think if you are going to be part of it, why not fill in your info? If you aren't interested in doing that, don't use the site! Oh and its annoying when people finish their cycle and don't bother to update where to got in or dinged. /rant
Yeah, I tell all my friends who use it to put their profile on there, even if completely anonymously.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crumpledq

Bronze

Post by crumpledq » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:50 pm

thelawyler wrote:
Yeah, I tell all my friends who use it to put their profile on there, even if completely anonymously.
This applies to most folks. However, some people have very distinctive numbers that make them easily identifiable just from their LSAT/GPA (speaking as a ridiculous splitter). I'd rather someone be invisible on LSN (like me) than put out inaccurate numbers in order to preserve their anonymity.

Robespierre

Silver

Post by Robespierre » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:25 pm

emkay625 wrote:

I agree with this. And it goes double for Cornell since their class is so small to begin with.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:29 pm

Robespierre wrote: I agree with this. And it goes double for Cornell since their class is so small to begin with.
Hope you're right...

Also, nice 'tar. I hope you recognize mine.

Tim0thy222

Bronze

Post by Tim0thy222 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:42 pm

crumpledq wrote:
thelawyler wrote:
This applies to most folks. However, some people have very distinctive numbers that make them easily identifiable just from their LSAT/GPA (speaking as a ridiculous splitter). I'd rather someone be invisible on LSN (like me) than put out inaccurate numbers in order to preserve their anonymity.
Since you mentioned this I'd like to pose a question that's been on my mind. Is there a compelling reason to keep anonymity? I mean, I have pretty distinctive numbers, and my first name in my username, so I think any admissions person who was even remotely interested could find my LSN and TLS profiles in about 5 minutes, but I'm not trying to keep it a secret what schools I've applied to, and I'd like to think I don't say anything on these forums that I wouldn't mind the whole world reading.

Is there some reason or consideration I'm missing here?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paul34

Bronze

Post by paul34 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:47 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumpledq

Bronze

Post by crumpledq » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:07 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
crumpledq wrote:
thelawyler wrote:
Since you mentioned this I'd like to pose a question that's been on my mind. Is there a compelling reason to keep anonymity? I mean, I have pretty distinctive numbers, and my first name in my username, so I think any admissions person who was even remotely interested could find my LSN and TLS profiles in about 5 minutes, but I'm not trying to keep it a secret what schools I've applied to, and I'd like to think I don't say anything on these forums that I wouldn't mind the whole world reading.

Is there some reason or consideration I'm missing here?
What paul34 said. Also, some schools might not like realizing that they're your safety (based on the other schools you're applying to in their market).

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:31 pm

Submitted my application to Cornell a few days ago. I might literally have the worst PS that Cornell has ever received since I just absolutely hate creative writing. I'd be more than ecstatic if they'd be willing to overlook my huge PS/Resume flaws and accept me because of my numbers.

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:11 pm

KevinP wrote:Submitted my application to Cornell a few days ago. I might literally have the worst PS that Cornell has ever received since I just absolutely hate creative writing. I'd be more than ecstatic if they'd be willing to overlook my huge PS/Resume flaws and accept me because of my numbers.
I submitted the worst Why Cornell essay. I don't have high numbers so I think I might be in trouble :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”