Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby FryBreadPower » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:27 am

Looks like Duke is being pretty tough with its first batch of PT.

User avatar
tdicks
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby tdicks » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:52 am

FryBreadPower wrote:Looks like Duke is being pretty tough with its first batch of PT.



yeah, i need to stop checking this thread. it's just making me more anxious about my whole cycle.

PigBodine
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby PigBodine » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:11 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:Looks like Duke is being pretty tough with its first batch of PT.


I think they panicked with the big drop in LSATs and started taking all the 3.5 170+s that applied before the middle of October, which is why there's so much green on LSN. I guess they're confident with the people who have applied since then, because it looks a lot like they've reset the GPA floor to 3.7. For what it's worth, I'm a 3.5x 173, and I got waitlisted yesterday.

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby iamrobk » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:17 pm

3.53/171, did PT, and got a fall grades request today. Also asked for a 2nd LOR from a professor (I submitted one from a professor and one from my boss last summer), if I wanted (wasn't necessary but I figure I'll ask one of my professors tomorrow). Is that common? I kind of figured I'd just be waitlisted, but that'll probably be the outcome anyway.

TMC116
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby TMC116 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:17 pm

Whoa whoa whoa Duke requests fall grades? Is that normal or just for people below their 25% gpa?

Fml

User avatar
baconpuffs
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby baconpuffs » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:07 pm

TMC116 wrote:Whoa whoa whoa Duke requests fall grades? Is that normal or just for people below their 25% gpa?

Fml

I got this request as well.

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby iamrobk » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:10 pm

baconpuffs wrote:
TMC116 wrote:Whoa whoa whoa Duke requests fall grades? Is that normal or just for people below their 25% gpa?

Fml

I got this request as well.

Ah, seems like we have pretty similar numbers too. Good luck to you, btw.

User avatar
Aqualung
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Aqualung » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:41 pm

My status was changed to "Decision made; watch for email" early this morning.

No email yet. Will edit when I receive email. Don't have high hopes, considering I didn't write a Why Duke.

Submitted 11/04 and PT, by the way.

Also, first post. So, hi everyone.

lameslice57
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:22 am

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lameslice57 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Aqualung wrote:My status was changed to "Decision made; watch for email" early this morning.

No email yet. Will edit when I receive email. Don't have high hopes, considering I didn't write a Why Duke.

Submitted 11/04 and PT, by the way.

Also, first post. So, hi everyone.

I didn't write a Why Duke either and I have almost identical stats to you. Gl

User avatar
Aqualung
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Aqualung » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:35 pm

I figured that I'd reply instead of editing.

I'm in!

Feels good man. Hope the rest of my schools agree with Duke.

User avatar
Take Two
Posts: 552
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:30 am

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Take Two » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:17 pm

Aqualung wrote:I figured that I'd reply instead of editing.

I'm in!

Feels good man. Hope the rest of my schools agree with Duke.


I second that sentiment! haha

envisciguy
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby envisciguy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:36 pm

Finally got my acceptance package complete with a lanyard AND a bookmark yesterday. I'm really liking Duke right now, and not just because of the bookmark.

bumblebeebuzz
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:34 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bumblebeebuzz » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:46 pm

In 3.66/170 :D
Wrote a Why Duke

User avatar
Take Two
Posts: 552
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:30 am

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Take Two » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:57 pm

Congrats!

bumblebeebuzz
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:34 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bumblebeebuzz » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:05 pm

Take Two wrote:Congrats!


Thank you so much! I'm thrilled!!

User avatar
GerardC3
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby GerardC3 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:22 pm

bumblebeebuzz wrote:
Take Two wrote:Congrats!


Thank you so much! I'm thrilled!!


Congrats, don't be surprised if you see me in Durham next fall.

horrorbusiness
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby horrorbusiness » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:26 pm

based on LSN from last year, it seems like only a veryyy small fraction of people who aren't admitted within two weeks of submission ever end up getting admitted. is that pretty much the case for duke?

User avatar
smokeylarue
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby smokeylarue » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:37 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:based on LSN from last year, it seems like only a veryyy small fraction of people who aren't admitted within two weeks of submission ever end up getting admitted. is that pretty much the case for duke?


I kind of doubt that. I'm sure there's been hundreds if not thousands of non PT RD apps sent in already, but almost all of the decisions so far have been PT only.

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:46 pm

smokeylarue wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:based on LSN from last year, it seems like only a veryyy small fraction of people who aren't admitted within two weeks of submission ever end up getting admitted. is that pretty much the case for duke?


I kind of doubt that. I'm sure there's been hundreds if not thousands of non PT RD apps sent in already, but almost all of the decisions so far have been PT only.


I think he means, "Of the people who applied PT, it seems like only a veryyy small fraction of people who aren't admitted within two weeks of submission ever end up getting admitted." Obviously the majority of people who are admitted don't do PT, but he is saying for those who did PT and weren't admitted right off the bat are not typically admitted even further down the line.

User avatar
Take Two
Posts: 552
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:30 am

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Take Two » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:52 pm

I have to imagine that a lot of the kids who get PT invitations have great numbers and end up getting in other places and dont follow up on the priority reserve/wait list at Duke but if they did follow up they probably would eventually be admitted. Thats just my thought and totally all speculation.

horrorbusiness
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby horrorbusiness » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:54 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:based on LSN from last year, it seems like only a veryyy small fraction of people who aren't admitted within two weeks of submission ever end up getting admitted. is that pretty much the case for duke?


I kind of doubt that. I'm sure there's been hundreds if not thousands of non PT RD apps sent in already, but almost all of the decisions so far have been PT only.


I think he means, "Of the people who applied PT, it seems like only a veryyy small fraction of people who aren't admitted within two weeks of submission ever end up getting admitted." Obviously the majority of people who are admitted don't do PT, but he is saying for those who did PT and weren't admitted right off the bat are not typically admitted even further down the line.


Well, I can't exactly tell who is PT or not based on LSN. It just seems like very few non-PT's get a straight admit (assuming all the super competitive people that got their decisions in 10-15 days are PT)..

edit: If you look at the 10-11 cycle and sort by submitted date, at least for the first couple months the vast majority of admits are high #'s and <15day decisions..

User avatar
Take Two
Posts: 552
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:30 am

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Take Two » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Well I dont know if you saw this somewhere else on the thread, but the acceptances that Duke issues PT arent exactly true acceptances, to get an official acceptance those accepted via PT have to fill out a scholarship application in December and I have to imagine that a lot of the kids with great numbers dont do so because they are accepted other places. The point being that I suspect that a lot of the acceptances issues now will not matriculate and consequently there must be a number of RD acceptances issued. wow that was inarticulate but I am too lazy to redo this... haha

User avatar
sn20
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sn20 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:30 pm

in today via email! submitted RD 9/30, 170/3.86

User avatar
Take Two
Posts: 552
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:30 am

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Take Two » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:32 pm

Congrats! :D

User avatar
sn20
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sn20 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:37 pm

Take Two wrote:Congrats! :D


thanks and judging by your numbers your gonna have a great cycle too!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”