Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ringo
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ringo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:31 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Just got the acceptance email! Nice to start of the cycle like that!


Congrats, HP, from a lurker who appreciates your contributions to the forums.

Hoping to finish up my Why Duke this weekend and submit my PT app Monday.

User avatar
basilseal
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby basilseal » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:23 am

Well, I guess it's officially ten business days, or I would have received something. Still "under review."

User avatar
AmandaPB
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby AmandaPB » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:30 am

basilseal wrote:Well, I guess it's officially ten business days, or I would have received something. Still "under review."

But today is the 10th day after completion! I have a good feeling about today.

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:32 am

I feel good about today for those that went complete on 9/19 and haven't heard yet.

Out of curiosity, how many wrote a Why Duke?

I did not. I just sent in my Harvard app, because I don't see evidence of YPing early in the cycle at Duke. I didn't write optional essays either. Just the 2 page PS, resume, and app. I don't really have any diversity not mentioned in my PS. (Just in case someone reads into this from another post I've made, unlike other schools, my lack of a Why Duke had nothing to do with a lack of interest in their programs. I think their Guantanamo Clinic is amazing and could easily have written about that. It was purely testing out my theory from LSN that Duke does not have the YP problem of some others in its ranking range).

ETA: I just realized I didn't post clearly yesterday, I got in. Flipped over to "decision made" almost exactly when HP did, and received the Welcome to Duke email at exactly the same time as well. Seems they do go out in a batch.
Last edited by MumofCad on Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
elibrarian
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby elibrarian » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:45 am

MumofCad wrote:Out of curiosity, how many wrote a Why Duke?



I did though I think it was the weakest of those I'd written.

User avatar
AmandaPB
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby AmandaPB » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:47 am

MumofCad wrote:Out of curiosity, how many wrote a Why Duke?

I didn’t. I hope it’s not to my detriment. I only wrote a “Why” essay for one school.
Last edited by AmandaPB on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
elibrarian
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby elibrarian » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:00 pm

I think this application will be the death of me. Still under review....

ipanchenko
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ipanchenko » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:07 pm

elibrarian wrote:I think this application will be the death of me. Still under review....


At this point, I can't really tell what they could be reviewing. Luckily, my students are taking standardized tests, so I get to walk around the classroom and check in on my phone.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15477
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:19 pm

Submitted today.

User avatar
basilseal
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby basilseal » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:19 pm

Was just told "by midnight" for the 9/19 completes.

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Curious1 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:22 pm

Just got the "complete" email.

User avatar
AmandaPB
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby AmandaPB » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:49 pm

basilseal wrote:Was just told "by midnight" for the 9/19 completes.

Oh, wow! WHY AM I STILL UNDER REVIEW? This makes me so nervous.

User avatar
basilseal
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby basilseal » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:01 pm

AmandaPB wrote:
basilseal wrote:Was just told "by midnight" for the 9/19 completes.

Oh, wow! WHY AM I STILL UNDER REVIEW? This makes me so nervous.

Don't freak out! So am I! I got antsy and emailed them regarding 10 business versus calendar days.

User avatar
elibrarian
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby elibrarian » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:17 pm

basilseal wrote:Oh, wow! WHY AM I STILL UNDER REVIEW? This makes me so nervous.

Don't freak out! So am I! I got antsy and emailed them regarding 10 business versus calendar days.[/quote]

Yep, still under review too.

User avatar
basilseal
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby basilseal » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:32 pm

"Decision made; watch for email." Had to happen some time.

User avatar
AmandaPB
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby AmandaPB » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:13 pm

basilseal wrote:"Decision made; watch for email." Had to happen some time.


Same here. Can’t wait to get this email and be done with freaking out. I’m so glad the other schools don’t have a specific date for decisions.

User avatar
elibrarian
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby elibrarian » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:38 pm

AmandaPB wrote:
basilseal wrote:"Decision made; watch for email." Had to happen some time.


Same here. Can’t wait to get this email and be done with freaking out. I’m so glad the other schools don’t have a specific date for decisions.


Uh.....I'm still under review.

User avatar
basilseal
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby basilseal » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:02 pm

All that worrying!

User avatar
AmandaPB
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby AmandaPB » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:04 pm

In! So glad to have this acceptance in September. AWESOME! Good luck to everyone!

User avatar
sdwhodat
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sdwhodat » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:15 pm

MumofCad wrote:I feel good about today for those that went complete on 9/19 and haven't heard yet.

Out of curiosity, how many wrote a Why Duke?

I did not. I just sent in my Harvard app, because I don't see evidence of YPing early in the cycle at Duke. I didn't write optional essays either. Just the 2 page PS, resume, and app. I don't really have any diversity not mentioned in my PS. (Just in case someone reads into this from another post I've made, unlike other schools, my lack of a Why Duke had nothing to do with a lack of interest in their programs. I think their Guantanamo Clinic is amazing and could easily have written about that. It was purely testing out my theory from LSN that Duke does not have the YP problem of some others in its ranking range).

ETA: I just realized I didn't post clearly yesterday, I got in. Flipped over to "decision made" almost exactly when HP did, and received the Welcome to Duke email at exactly the same time as well. Seems they do go out in a batch.


I didn't write a Why essay for any of my applications. If a school needs one to accept because of YP or whatever, then I don't want to go to that school. I submitted an application, meaning I've already invested time and money into applying. I'm not going to stroke your ego (though I probably would if Harvard wanted one... LOL). That being said, really glad I got into Duke so early because the other schools might waitlist me because I didn't write one, lol. Harvard's my top choice, with Duke as my backup ;)

User avatar
elibrarian
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby elibrarian » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:48 pm

Longest wait ever but I'm in! Hooray!!!

User avatar
sach1282
Posts: 330
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:50 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sach1282 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:49 pm

In the joint JD/MA in Philosophy program as of 30 seconds ago! Wrote a Why Duke.

User avatar
basilseal
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby basilseal » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:56 pm

Wrote a Why Duke, I should add.

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:10 pm

Congrats to you all - you earned it in the last minute wait. Sometimes forums like this aren't such a great thing for the anxiety level right?! All's well that ends well!

madvillain
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:39 am

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby madvillain » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:20 pm

Finally in. Sigh. Although my JD/MA dual app has yet to be approved...I hope it does because the possibility of a JD/MA degree was a main factor which influenced me to apply. In any case though I am very happy and happy for all of you as well.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”