Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Nelson

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nelson » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:12 pm

beckyfargo wrote:My husband (173 lsat not sure gpa but pretty high) was invited to apply to Duke through the priority track program. He applied in the first few days of December. Sometime mid-December his application was put "under review" and it has been "under review" with a Dec. date ever since. Over 4 months, under review, with no activity whatsoever.

I won't get into the details of his application, but it was not surprising that he was put "under review." What is surprising to me, is that if they were going to reject him, why make us wait so long? I understand they don't have time to worry about causing us stress, but why cause us such unnecessary stress! :p I don't understand why they are tabling his application completely for this long. He is taking it in stride better than I am. I need to know what we are doing next year!! Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks, and I hope everyone has a great week!

Since priority track guarantees a decision in 10 days, you probably should have called them back in December.

beckyfargo

Postby beckyfargo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:49 pm

WRONG. Let me educate you about Dukes priority track program.

They DID get back in 10 days, saying that the file was "under review." If you read the interview with the dean on Dukes website, you will see that when you submit an application in the priority track program, they can do one of the following things: Accept, Reject, Waitlist OR put the application under review. When it's under review, what happens is they wait until they have a stack of them (I think it actually had a number on their webpage) and then they send them around to the faculty who VOTE yay or nay on whether you get in or not. The vote is anonymous so that if you get in you will never know who, if anyone, voted against your admission.

So, it's nice that they guaranteed a decision all right, the decision to put it under review! At least they let us know that on the 10th day. OK, I'm not really that wound up about that part, that part makes sense. It's just the over 4 months that have me feeling a TAD BIT BATTY!! Husband is calm still calm though, don't know how he does it.
Last edited by beckyfargo on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:55 pm

beckyfargo wrote:WRONG. Let me educate you about Dukes priority track program.

They DID get back in 10 days, saying that the file was "under review." If you read the interview with the dean on Dukes website, you will see that when you submit an application in the priority track program, they can do one of the following things: Accept, Reject, Waitlist OR put the application under review. When it's under review, what happens is they wait until they have a stack of them (I think it actually had a number on their webpage) and then they send them around to the faculty who VOTE yay or nay on whether you get in or not. The vote is anonymous so that if you get in you will never know who, if anyone, voted against your admission.

So, it's nice that on priority track they got back in 10 days just to say that it's "under review" for going on over 4 months now.

Well, it seems like you know everything then

hanman

Postby hanman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:10 pm

So, it's nice that on priority track they got back in 10 days just to say that it's "under review" for going on over 4 months now.

I've never spoken out about the mean stuff posted on TLS but wow, you sound really rude. "Let me educate you about Dukes priority track program"??. Well why even post your question then, if you know how it works? I know you are probably stressed, I get that its hard to plan for the next few years, esp as a couple. But the poster you responded to is correct in that, at this point in the game, you should feel free to call Admissions and ask them whether they have a cut-off date for when they plan to inform those applicants under review. It doesn't hurt to call and ask, its almost May. Duke's deposit deadline is this week so perhaps you will see some movement around that time.

beckyfargo

Postby beckyfargo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:11 pm

Yes, I do. Unfortunately, I have been wasting untold hours trying to find out why there is no response, and if there is anything we can do. Like I said, I was just wondering if anyone else had this experience, and if so, what happened. :( Just in case it wasn't as rare as I'm thinking it is.

beckyfargo

Postby beckyfargo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:12 pm

I am not meaning to be rude. I did not post a question about the priority track program. I asked if anyone else had the same experience. I am not sure why the other gentleman wrote me a rude, patronizing response which only revealed his own ignorance about the priority track program. I do not think my response to him was any ruder than his patronizing comment.

Gosh you lawyers really like to argue don't you? I like it. And I hope everyone has a great week!

P.S. Hanman thank you for the advice.

T00L

Postby T00L » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:24 pm

This doesn't sound rude to you?

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:28 pm

beckyfargo wrote: I do not think my response to him was any ruder than his patronizing comment.

I read through all of the posts since you posted, and I did not find any rude or patronizing comment, except yours. Please point this comment out...

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:57 pm

Protip: if Duke hasn't given you a PT response in 10 days, it's fair game to give them a call and ask what's up. Which seems like a more reasonable alternative to quietly biding your time until your pent-up rage explodes in a series of posts on an anonymous law school forum.

And to the nice section: hope you make it off the waitlist, msblaw. Seems like you have a good shot with your numbers.

Excellent117

Postby Excellent117 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:07 am

beachbum wrote:hope you make it off the waitlist, msblaw. Seems like you have a good shot with your numbers.

+1, I'm rooting for you msblaw...And admittedly I'm rooting for myself too haha 8)

beckyfargo

Postby beckyfargo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:51 am

"Since priority track guarantees a decision in 10 days, you probably should have called them back in December." That was the rude and patronizing comment.

@beachbum ... Please re-read my explanation of the priority track program. They did give me a response within 10 days. That response was "we need more time to review your application." The priority track program only guarantees a response, NOT a final decision. I was only trying to find out if anyone else is in the same situation. People seem to have misunderstood my post because of their lack of information about the priority track program, and assumed that I didn't hear back in 10 days, and should have called Duke. I guess I'm not sure how much more clear I can explain this. I guess I could find the link about the priority track program which points out that your response within 10 days might be a response that says "We are not yet going to give you a response" and that IS a response. Am I being clear?

beckyfargo

Postby beckyfargo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:57 am

I hope someone reads this soon that is able to understand me or understands the priority track program so people stop being mean to me, assume I should have called Duke months ago, and think I"m a retard! I hope all f you have a good week!

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:04 am

beckyfargo wrote:I hope someone reads this soon that is able to understand me or understands the priority track program so people stop being mean to me, assume I should have called Duke months ago, and think I"m a retard! I hope all f you have a good week!

I don't know why I'm jumping in here, but your comments on this thread caught my eye and I think you do have a bit of a misunderstanding about the priority track. As far as I know, it means that you'll either get an acceptance, a rejection, a waitlist, or a request for additional information within the 10 days of your application being complete.

When your application is placed "under review" at a regular law school's admissions office, it can mean decision that day or months from that day. But, you state your husband was invited to the priority track. Thus, he should not have been "under review" for more than 10 days. Either he's gotten something and hasn't told you about it, or Duke screwed up. If Duke screwed up, then yes, you should have called them after 10 days went by without hearing anything.

So, my advice to you, or rather, to your husband who is the actual applicant, is for him to call the Duke admissions office to check on the status of his application and to mention that he is a priority track applicant who has not heard back at all since his application went under review.

Also: That other poster wasn't rude or patronizing to you at all. You should apologize. Given what you've posted so far and the fact that you're not even a law school applicant, I think they probably know more about how this works than you do.

beckyfargo

Postby beckyfargo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:14 am

Ninerfan. Thanks but you have the wrong information about the program. You can get put "under review" as a response within 10 days on priority track. Let me give you the information straight from the Dean. Thanks for your response though.

iven how much time and energy goes into your selection process, how do you manage to make decisions on some applications in only ten days?
BH You’re referring to our Priority Track program. Each year, we invite a small number of candidates to apply to Duke through this program. We guarantee that the applicants will receive a response from us within ten days after the application becomes complete. The response could be an offer of admission, a waitlist offer, an invitation to interview, a deny decision. Or, in some cases, we have to hold the file for further review. But the applicant will hear something back relatively quickly. We keep the Priority Track pool very small so that we can give each application the same rigorous treatment that every other application receives, but we’re careful to ensure that the evaluation happens within a very tight timeframe. Of course, this can make for some very late nights and previous Priority Track applicants might tell you that they received their email decisions at very odd hours!

Note the "IN SOME CASES WE HAVE TO HOLD THE FILE FOR FURTHER REVIEW." http://www.admissionsdean.com/researchi ... /bill-hoye

I just got on here to see if anyone else was in the same situation. I guess not :(

beckyfargo

Postby beckyfargo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:19 am

I hope Bill Hoye can explain the program better than I did in the link to the interview I pasted. Now hopefully there won't be any more confusion. I guess it's clear that no one else that has seen this yet is in the same situation of being put under review as a response within 10 days. Thanks to those who responded. :)

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:21 am

beckyfargo wrote:Ninerfan. Thanks but you have the wrong information about the program. You can get put "under review" as a response within 10 days on priority track. Let me give you the information straight from the Dean. Thanks for your response though.

iven how much time and energy goes into your selection process, how do you manage to make decisions on some applications in only ten days?
BH You’re referring to our Priority Track program. Each year, we invite a small number of candidates to apply to Duke through this program. We guarantee that the applicants will receive a response from us within ten days after the application becomes complete. The response could be an offer of admission, a waitlist offer, an invitation to interview, a deny decision. Or, in some cases, we have to hold the file for further review. But the applicant will hear something back relatively quickly. We keep the Priority Track pool very small so that we can give each application the same rigorous treatment that every other application receives, but we’re careful to ensure that the evaluation happens within a very tight timeframe. Of course, this can make for some very late nights and previous Priority Track applicants might tell you that they received their email decisions at very odd hours!

Note the "IN SOME CASES WE HAVE TO HOLD THE FILE FOR FURTHER REVIEW." http://www.admissionsdean.com/researchi ... /bill-hoye

I just got on here to see if anyone else was in the same situation. I guess not :(

Note also how they'll hear something back if they're held for further review. An update on a status checker website is not hearing something back. Did your husband hear anything? If not, Duke probably made a mistake. If he did but he's serious about his interest in Duke, he should have sent a letter of continued interest.

beckyfargo

Postby beckyfargo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:35 am

Thanks for the tip. He has contacted Duke and if he doesn't hear back in next day or so he will call them. I was just wondering if there is anyone else in the same situation. He didn't specifically write a LOCI because from what he understands is that is written if you are deferred or on wait list, not just waiting for a decision of any kind, but he did contact them to ask them if there was any more information they needed etc. Which is another good question, have any of you written a loci before when you weren't on a waitlist or deferred, just "under review?" Didn't know if it would be appropriate, but I guess maybe contacting them like he has is effectively the same thing?

I should mention the priority track response he got mentioned that there was no time line about when he would hear back, and did imply that it may be a long time, but 4 months is obviously an awfully long time.

beckyfargo

Postby beckyfargo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:37 am

Ninerfan oh I should be clear yes he did hear something back, he was emailed 10 days after his application because of the priority track program. The letter said that they weren't able to make a decision yet and that they didn't know the timeline and that Duke would get back whenever they had more info.

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:36 am

I decided to check up on the Duke thread this morning out of pure curiosity, and I could not be any happier with my decision.

Beckyfargo: Are you sure that your husband was on the "Priority Track" and then did not receive an email that he was now on the "Priority Reserve"?

This is what happened to me, and as a result, Duke effectively told me that they could not come to a decision in 10 days and I'd have to wait. There is however, a big difference between the two, as one is simply a type of application and another is actually just the waitlist.

If your husband was placed on the Priority Reserve list (AKA the top of the waitlist), then he probably should have tried to keep in contact, send in a LOCI, etc. If he's still under review, well something has gone terribly wrong and he should have called or done something months ago, but he might as well go ahead and start that process now.

I apologize in advance if you were already familiar with this distinction.

beckyfargo

Postby beckyfargo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:53 am

strictlybusiness I am absolutely POSITIVE he is not on priority reserve. I am absolutely positive that he has not been deferred or put on any wait list of any kind. What is happening is exactly what the Dean said in that interview as one of the responses when you apply through priority track, which is that his application is being held for further review If I had the e-mail he received in front of me he received, I'd post it. Maybe later. It basically says we reviewed your application, we need more time to decide than this 10 days, and we have no idea when we will get back to you. You'll hear from us at some point we don't know the timeline. Tah tah. Not a word since. Since he's calling them after contacting them otherwise I just wanted to see if others had the same situation happen to them.

beckyfargo

Postby beckyfargo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:56 am

P.S. it does sound like similar emails though but yeah status checker says "under review" since 12/19 (it was updated once because of the priority track and the email that I mentioned was sent to him saying they needed more than the 10 days). He has contacted them I just was wondering how rare his situation is.

Hope you're living in a place with beautiful weather today like I am!

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:59 am

This is what people were getting at:

NinerFan wrote:Note also how they'll hear something back if they're held for further review. An update on a status checker website is not hearing something back. Did your husband hear anything? If not, Duke probably made a mistake. If he did but he's serious about his interest in Duke, he should have sent a letter of continued interest.

And this would have been helpful information to avoid several posters (justifiably) telling you that you should've called them months ago:

beckyfargo wrote:Ninerfan oh I should be clear yes he did hear something back, he was emailed 10 days after his application because of the priority track program. The letter said that they weren't able to make a decision yet and that they didn't know the timeline and that Duke would get back whenever they had more info.

So whether he's still under review or on priority reserve, it looks like the result is the same: Duke is waiting to see how their class is shaping up (e.g. who accepts/declines offers of admission) before making a decision on your husband's file. Which means that an LOCI (a simple "Why Duke" goes a long way) would be appropriate. Trust me, Duke appreciates a showing of interest, and now would be a good time to show it.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:02 pm

NinerFan wrote:Also: That other poster wasn't rude or patronizing to you at all. You should apologize.

wut

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:13 pm

Excellent117 wrote:
beachbum wrote:hope you make it off the waitlist, msblaw. Seems like you have a good shot with your numbers.

+1, I'm rooting for you msblaw...And admittedly I'm rooting for myself too haha 8)

We're in it together!

unchartered

Postby unchartered » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:06 pm

To the poor, emasculated spouse of this berserko, wound up poster woman:
Don't lose hope. There's a safe haven for you...
http://www.batteredhusbandssupport.com (real website, too)

Let's get back on track here, any waitlist movement today? I'm PRWL for summer start JD/LLM.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”