Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
elibrarian

Bronze

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by elibrarian » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:27 am

MumofCad wrote:
elibrarian wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Y'all ought to check your status checker, mine just changed to:

Decision made; watch for email

Let's see how long this takes.
Still under review! I am going crazy.
When did you submit your app? Day and hour-ish
Submitted 9/15, I think in the morning...though, honestly, I forget. It may have been in the evening. I went complete 9/19 though. Am really not feeling good about this....

Edit: Must have been in the morning, 7:00 am-ish, as I rec'd my "Application Received" email from Duke at 2:00 p.m. Ugh.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:40 am

elibrarian wrote:
Submitted 9/15, I think in the morning...though, honestly, I forget. It may have been in the evening. I went complete 9/19 though. Am really not feeling good about this....

Edit: Must have been in the morning, 7:00 am-ish, as I rec'd my "Application Received" email from Duke at 2:00 p.m. Ugh.
I bet you get an answer today or tomorrow. Remember too that there could already have been some people who have received bad news but are not posting it. Who wants to be the first one to say they got WL'd right? If one person posts it, others will come out too, but I wouldn't assume that because all the news self-reported so far has been good that it is necessarily that they are going through admits and then going to give out bad news or something. There is no evidence of that on LSN from last year. Its all mixed up. If you look at the first group that all submitted the same day, it is like: A, A, A, W, A, A, A....still waiting sucks.

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:58 am

elibrarian wrote:
MumofCad wrote:
elibrarian wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Y'all ought to check your status checker, mine just changed to:

Decision made; watch for email

Let's see how long this takes.
Still under review! I am going crazy.
When did you submit your app? Day and hour-ish

I’m pretty sure I submitted sometime within the first hour of submission and I still haven’t heard anything.

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:03 pm

MumofCad wrote:
elibrarian wrote:
I bet you get an answer today or tomorrow. Remember too that there could already have been some people who have received bad news but are not posting it. Who wants to be the first one to say they got WL'd right? If one person posts it, others will come out too, but I wouldn't assume that because all the news self-reported so far has been good that it is necessarily that they are going through admits and then going to give out bad news or something. There is no evidence of that on LSN from last year. Its all mixed up. If you look at the first group that all submitted the same day, it is like: A, A, A, W, A, A, A....still waiting sucks.
You're very kind, ha. Our entire system is down at work so I have nothing to do other than repeatedly check my status checker.

Anyone else complete 9/19 still under review?

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:07 pm

elibrarian wrote:
MumofCad wrote:
elibrarian wrote:
You're very kind, ha. Our entire system is down at work so I have nothing to do other than repeatedly check my status checker.

Right here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:10 pm

basilseal wrote: Right here.
You give me hope!

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:21 pm

elibrarian wrote:Anyone else complete 9/19 still under review?
Meeeeeeeeeee

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:26 pm

SUBMITTED. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:28 pm

elibrarian wrote:
basilseal wrote: Right here.
You give me hope!
Likewise.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AspiringAcademic

Bronze

Post by AspiringAcademic » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:28 pm

Also me. I'm not reading too much into it.

AGooner11

New

Post by AGooner11 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:29 pm

elibrarian wrote:
MumofCad wrote:
elibrarian wrote:
Aye. I'm heading to sleep here in SE Asia and expecting hoping to wake with something in the morning!

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:48 pm

Not sure about HP, but if it makes you all feel any better, after ticking over to decision made early this morning, I haven't heard anything. Even if you ticked over, you'd have spent your day checking email instead of a status checker apparently.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:59 pm

MumofCad wrote:Not sure about HP, but if it makes you all feel any better, after ticking over to decision made early this morning, I haven't heard anything. Even if you ticked over, you'd have spent your day checking email instead of a status checker apparently.
Yup same here. It seems like we'll have to wait until around 6PM EST to get an email. Or that's my guess, since it's been like that the past few days.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

madvillain

Bronze

Post by madvillain » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:11 pm

Last edited by madvillain on Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AspiringAcademic

Bronze

Post by AspiringAcademic » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:23 pm

Heard a few minutes ago and the answer was yes.

Is anyone else freaking out more about their applications now that they are out for review? Over the summer I would have said that, from a purely statistical standpoint, I know should get in to X, might get into Y, and am likely to get money from Z. Now that it is all real I'm thinking "but what if they don't like me?!?" :P

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Just got the acceptance email! Nice to start of the cycle like that!

Cavgirl

New

Post by Cavgirl » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:32 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Just got the acceptance email! Nice to start of the cycle like that!
Awesome! Congrats!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:34 pm

I think all will most likely get in. I think Duke has found a way to game the YP dilemma with these provisional acceptances.

admisionquestion

Bronze

Post by admisionquestion » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:42 pm

I don't mean to be mean to this potential person, but has anyone been waitlisted or rejected off pt yet? (I see nobody on LSN or this thread).

Also,
MumofCad wrote:I think all will most likely get in. I think Duke has found a way to game the YP dilemma with these provisional acceptances.
What are you saying, I don't get it?

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:51 pm

admisionquestion wrote:
MumofCad wrote:I think all will most likely get in. I think Duke has found a way to game the YP dilemma with these provisional acceptances.
I'm just speculating but....The wording of the "acceptance" email is funny. It almost makes it sound like it could be deemed a "provisional" admittance with the "real" admittance coming in Dec. I'm wondering if they've found a way to work the USNWR system by not counting these people with high numbers as actual admits until they've shown a definite interest in Dec through further filling out of an application for scholarship money, at which time they get their "official" acceptance according to the email - happens to be after many will have found out from Michigan, Harvard, etc. that they are in there and withdrawn from Duke, perhaps before Duke has to consider them "official" admits. It would explain why Duke's graph is uncharacteristically green in that upper quadrant. It seems like compared to peers they are able to accept a lot of people with numbers that are ridiculously high. Almost none end up actually going to Duke though if you look at LSN and I doubt most of the people let in through this first round of PT decisions will end up there either (they will all get into higher-ranked schools, probably even with money).

It would be a clever, lawerly move to avoid the YP conundrum - send out PT to everyone with number profiles you know you would normally have to YP, but don't offer any of them official admittances to hurt your YP numbers until late in the game when they will have received decisions from schools that are likely to steal them away. Then you make them fill out another form, essentially a LOCI, right before you would have otherwise been making a blind decision and then officially admit the handful that are left hoping their continued interest signifies they either didn't get into those other schools, aren't happy with the $$$$ they received, or are otherwise set on Duke for some other reason. Better indication than any 1 page "why Duke" could ever be that they might actually attend....Just speculation of course. I have no idea how these things actually work. But if what I'm saying is true, bravo to Duke. Using yield as a metric creates this absurd YP thing that makes the job of schools in their range unnecessarily difficult, stresses out candidates, and really has very little to do with the quality of the education at an institution as it merely create a tautological response from those accepted. If they've found a way around it, everyone else should follow.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:26 pm

It also says in the email:
If you do not plan to apply for scholarship assistance but wish to consider an offer of admission from Duke, please inform our office so that we can officially admit you now.
I assume many will likely end up doing neither.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

worldwithoutend

New

Post by worldwithoutend » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:42 pm

MumofCad wrote:
admisionquestion wrote:
I'm just speculating but....The wording of the "acceptance" email is funny. It almost makes it sound like it could be deemed a "provisional" admittance with the "real" admittance coming in Dec. I'm wondering if they've found a way to work the USNWR system by not counting these people with high numbers as actual admits until they've shown a definite interest in Dec through further filling out of an application for scholarship money, at which time they get their "official" acceptance according to the email - happens to be after many will have found out from Michigan, Harvard, etc. that they are in there and withdrawn from Duke, perhaps before Duke has to consider them "official" admits. It would explain why Duke's graph is uncharacteristically green in that upper quadrant. It seems like compared to peers they are able to accept a lot of people with numbers that are ridiculously high. Almost none end up actually going to Duke though if you look at LSN and I doubt most of the people let in through this first round of PT decisions will end up there either (they will all get into higher-ranked schools, probably even with money).

It would be a clever, lawerly move to avoid the YP conundrum - send out PT to everyone with number profiles you know you would normally have to YP, but don't offer any of them official admittances to hurt your YP numbers until late in the game when they will have received decisions from schools that are likely to steal them away. Then you make them fill out another form, essentially a LOCI, right before you would have otherwise been making a blind decision and then officially admit the handful that are left hoping their continued interest signifies they either didn't get into those other schools, aren't happy with the $$$$ they received, or are otherwise set on Duke for some other reason. Better indication than any 1 page "why Duke" could ever be that they might actually attend....Just speculation of course. I have no idea how these things actually work. But if what I'm saying is true, bravo to Duke. Using yield as a metric creates this absurd YP thing that makes the job of schools in their range unnecessarily difficult, stresses out candidates, and really has very little to do with the quality of the education at an institution as it merely create a tautological response from those accepted. If they've found a way around it, everyone else should follow.
No, pretty sure you're off base here. If you got an acceptance email, you're in. You get a "formal" acceptance letter later, which includes your scholarship information. That's it. Are you always this skeptical?

If I remember correctly, the acceptance email had similar wording two years ago.

So, congratulations to those who have been accepted already!

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:52 pm

acadec wrote:
beachbum wrote: its peers (specifically MVP).
You've been very helpful, so we'll let that one slide. :wink:
So, being tied with UVA for 10th as recently as two years ago and consistently having class medians better than UMich clearly shows that Duke is not a MVP peer...

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:56 pm

I'm not saying people aren't actually good to go and admitted. I'm saying that technically they could be considered as something other than that for reporting purposes. I'm not in anyway implying that any of their (our) admittances would be rescinded or anything else, but whatever. As the section HP posted also alludes, there is another step involved no matter how you go before you are 'officially' considered by the school as an admit.

While I think a healthy dose of sceptism is wise for everyone, I hardly think the word applies in this case. Though I do think its generally considered a good idea for those seeking to become lawyers to be aware of language idosyncracies that could have meaning and not to blindly accept things at face level. Shrugs

Duke's a great school and def on my short list, as I said, bravo if they have found a way around a stupid metric which clearly favors stability in the rankings ( ie a student is subject to YP because they are likely to choose a higher ranked school which is more highly ranked in part because they are going to continue to chose said schools and thus promote YP, its tautological and unfair to schools like Duke seeking to move up)
Last edited by MumofCad on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:02 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:
acadec wrote:
beachbum wrote: its peers (specifically MVP).
You've been very helpful, so we'll let that one slide. :wink:
So, being tied with UVA for 10th as recently as two years ago and consistently having class medians better than UMich clearly shows that Duke is not a MVP peer...
Don't touch it, man. It's a trap.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”