Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Re: Duke c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:23 pm

Holy balls I just went to the Duke/St. Johns basketball game. It was so much fun. The grad students have their own entrance and section behind one of the hoops. Before the game they were just hanging out in their own line and in krzyzewskiville (grassy area with a bunch of tents in front of the gym where the undergrads hang out) drinking from thirty packs and eating some food.

I walked around the law school also. It's super nice and the recently renovated common areas are great. I'm hopefully going to meet with admissions on monday and maybe sit in on a class.

Overall it made my choice so much harder. The lifestyle and campus around Duke are unbelievable. I'll post some pics from my camera once I can get to a computer and not just my iPhone.

gravityrides0

Silver

Post by gravityrides0 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:30 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Holy balls I just went to the Duke/St. Johns basketball game. It was so much fun. The grad students have their own entrance and section behind one of the hoops. Before the game they were just hanging out in their own line and in krzyzewskiville (grassy area with a bunch of tents in front of the gym where the undergrads hang out) drinking from thirty packs and eating some food.

I walked around the law school also. It's super nice and the recently renovated common areas are great. I'm hopefully going to meet with admissions on monday and maybe sit in on a class.

Overall it made my choice so much harder. The lifestyle and campus around Duke are unbelievable. I'll post some pics from my camera once I can get to a computer and not just my iPhone.
I would love to see some pics! of all the schools I applied to, Duke is the one I am least able to picture for some reason...

Neatrends

Bronze

Post by Neatrends » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:53 pm

gravityrides0 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Holy balls I just went to the Duke/St. Johns basketball game. It was so much fun. The grad students have their own entrance and section behind one of the hoops. Before the game they were just hanging out in their own line and in krzyzewskiville (grassy area with a bunch of tents in front of the gym where the undergrads hang out) drinking from thirty packs and eating some food.

I would love to see some pics! of all the schools I applied to, Duke is the one I am least able to picture for some reason...
+1 Looking forward to the pictures as well!

MissyJRA177

New

Post by MissyJRA177 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:50 pm

169/3.9 non-URM just got WL notification email through PT. Oh well... GL all!!!

EdgarWinter

Bronze

Post by EdgarWinter » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:08 pm

Have all Mordecai nominations gone out yet? I am wondering if I should entertain slight fantasies of that awesome deal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:17 pm

Do not under-estimate the weather either when choosing law school. I did my undergrad in the North and 60 degree days in January make life simply more enjoyable.

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:29 pm

gravityrides0 wrote:

Duke is one of the most gorgeous schools I've ever had the pleasure to set foot on. You can literally get lost in the campus. If you have a chance to visit, do so.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:06 am

Cmon Duke... Choose me!

gman1978

New

Post by gman1978 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:02 am

What has the turn around time been at Duke? I submitted 1/6/12 and am under review as of today--does this mean anything in terms of how long until they give a decision?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chucklesmcgee

Bronze

Post by chucklesmcgee » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:39 am

gman1978 wrote:What has the turn around time been at Duke? I submitted 1/6/12 and am under review as of today--does this mean anything in terms of how long until they give a decision?

Submitted 10/21, under review 11/14 and have yet to hear. UVa gave me a $100k scholarship so I imagine I'll get into Duke. Non-PT applicants seem to be waiting quite a while here.

MachineLemon

Bronze

Post by MachineLemon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:46 am

Any TLSers attending this reception?

--LinkRemoved--

gman1978

New

Post by gman1978 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:53 am

chucklesmcgee wrote:
gman1978 wrote:What has the turn around time been at Duke? I submitted 1/6/12 and am under review as of today--does this mean anything in terms of how long until they give a decision?

Submitted 10/21, under review 11/14 and have yet to hear. UVa gave me a $100k scholarship so I imagine I'll get into Duke. Non-PT applicants seem to be waiting quite a while here.
If you got into UVA with that type of scholarship Duke is probably delaying your application for yield protection.

TMC116

Bronze

Post by TMC116 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:16 pm

Nope. That's pretty typical. People go under review just under a month after submitting and then they play the waiting game. The verrry long waiting game.

Many Non-PT RD applicants have been under review for 2 months or more

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Syme

New

Post by Syme » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:17 pm

Apologies in advance for not sifting through this thread to potentially find answers to the following questions.

My Priority Track application went complete on 1/19. Should I have been notified of a decision by now? Does the notification come via mail or email?

If the notification does indeed come by email and I am past the 10 day window they give themselves, should I send the admissions folks a note inquiring about my status?

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:18 pm

Syme wrote:Apologies in advance for not sifting through this thread to potentially find answers to the following questions.

My Priority Track application went complete on 1/19. Should I have been notified of a decision by now? Does the notification come via mail or email?

If the notification does indeed come by email and I am past the 10 day window they give themselves, should I send the admissions folks a note inquiring about my status?
E-mail, and I am sure you will hear soon

Syme

New

Post by Syme » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:10 pm

Syme wrote:Apologies in advance for not sifting through this thread to potentially find answers to the following questions.

Ask and you shall receive, I suppose.

In today via email. PT application that went complete on 1/19. Stats in profile if you're curious.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:11 pm

Here are some pics of the lawl school. Also I'll sum up my impressions. I loved my trip down, I am seriously considering Duke over some higher ranked acceptances now-especially if I can somehow negotiate for some scholarship money. The Duke campus and surrounding area are amazing. I also ate at basically every Food Network recommendation I could. That was NOT a good idea to do all at the same time but there are plenty of cool places to eat and hang out. There are lots of BBQ options and some cool bars not too far away. Housing seems the be very plentiful. There are very affordable options starting at around $400 a month if you can find a roommate or two. There are also new apartment buildings for upwards of $900 to $1500 a month depending on the size you want. Law students also live in houses around Duke with multiple students. All of these choices seem extremely viable since there is virtually no commute. Even Chapel Hill and downtown Durham are only ten or fifteen minutes away.

This is the newly renovated common area. The brick on the right is actually the old end of the law school-I thought that was a fun fact.

More Star Commons.

Here is a little something extra :) The grad students have their entire section behind the basketball hoop. They participate in all of the cheers along with the Cameron Crazies and they enter through their own line. So it's totally possible to get into the game (save for Duke/UNC) if you do't already have a ticket.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:53 pm

Those are great pictures!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:01 pm

Last edited by Mal Reynolds on Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elliott_Smith

Bronze

Post by Elliott_Smith » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:11 am

In today via PT!

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:52 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Those are great pictures!
Thanks! I wish I took more of the inside, but I didn't want the law students to think I was a complete weirdo.

PS Are you from Vegas? Love the tar.
No, I wish! I have been there several times and I LOVE it! If you are ever in the area, and aren't afraid if heights, be sure to do the sky jump off the Stratosphere.... It was so much fun.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:38 am

I just started reading these forums a few days ago right after I sent in my PT application, and what I've come to realize is that I've been extremely naive about this whole process. (Hell, I thought I was two and a half weeks early and doing well)

I have a 4.00 and a 173 (no URM or any amazing soft stuff) and applied shotgun approach to the top 14. This is partially a question about what my chances are at Duke and others, but more importantly, am I nuts to have Duke as my top choice?

Before reading some of these forums i just assumed that some would pass up acceptances and even money at Harvard, Chicago, etc. to go to schools like Duke. After reading these forums, I've had to rethink that.

I also noticed another person with a 3.99/174 was possibly YP'd and (after googling what that was) I was wondering is that even a possibility that I need to worry about? I did write that Why Duke essay, but so did he/she.

jetissent

Bronze

Post by jetissent » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:51 am

I applied in Nov and got in PT, I was under the impression that YP didn't happen for PT because PT acceptances occupy some strange grey area where you only get an official acceptance letter after you fill out the scholarship form and send it back to them. Because of the way they phrase the PT acceptance letter people speculated that they wouldn't have to actually count you in their yield unless you took that next step. But that was all from the ramblings in Nov I don't know if anything has changed.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:20 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:I just started reading these forums a few days ago right after I sent in my PT application, and what I've come to realize is that I've been extremely naive about this whole process. (Hell, I thought I was two and a half weeks early and doing well)

I have a 4.00 and a 173 (no URM or any amazing soft stuff) and applied shotgun approach to the top 14. This is partially a question about what my chances are at Duke and others, but more importantly, am I nuts to have Duke as my top choice?

Before reading some of these forums i just assumed that some would pass up acceptances and even money at Harvard, Chicago, etc. to go to schools like Duke. After reading these forums, I've had to rethink that.

I also noticed another person with a 3.99/174 was possibly YP'd and (after googling what that was) I was wondering is that even a possibility that I need to worry about? I did write that Why Duke essay, but so did he/she.
Let me see if I can address all of your questions.

I do not think it is crazy to have Duke as your top choice. Your numbers put you in a great position to receive a Mordecai, which means you would be receiving a free-education from a top law school. Additionally, the weather is fantastic (it is 2/1 and 70 degrees out today) and the extracurricular activities (e.g. softball and bowling) really help keep you sane. If you are interested in working in the South or want BigLaw (as opposed to academia, etc.), Duke places really well for that.

And yes, there is a possibility that you will get YPed because of your numbers. Your numbers make you CCN-secure and give you a solid opportunity at HYS (especially H). If that happens, write them a LOCI, if you show true interest in going there, I can't imagine they won't throw a ton of money your way.

I would, personally, take T10 full-ride over CCN every time. The placement and prestige difference is not that great IMO. However, your numbers give you a chance at a Ruby and acceptance into HYS. Thus, it is going to come down to a balance act of where you feel most comfortable and want to go (visit all the schools) and what school gives you the best opportunity at a great career pursuing what it is you want to pursue. No matter your choice, you are going to be picking between options where there is no truly wrong answer.

HTH.

StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:39 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:
StrictlyBusiness wrote:I just started reading these forums a few days ago right after I sent in my PT application, and what I've come to realize is that I've been extremely naive about this whole process. (Hell, I thought I was two and a half weeks early and doing well)

Let me see if I can address all of your questions.

I do not think it is crazy to have Duke as your top choice. Your numbers put you in a great position to receive a Mordecai, which means you would be receiving a free-education from a top law school. Additionally, the weather is fantastic (it is 2/1 and 70 degrees out today) and the extracurricular activities (e.g. softball and bowling) really help keep you sane. If you are interested in working in the South or want BigLaw (as opposed to academia, etc.), Duke places really well for that.

And yes, there is a possibility that you will get YPed because of your numbers. Your numbers make you CCN-secure and give you a solid opportunity at HYS (especially H). If that happens, write them a LOCI, if you show true interest in going there, I can't imagine they won't throw a ton of money your way.

I would, personally, take T10 full-ride over CCN every time. The placement and prestige difference is not that great IMO. However, your numbers give you a chance at a Ruby and acceptance into HYS. Thus, it is going to come down to a balance act of where you feel most comfortable and want to go (visit all the schools) and what school gives you the best opportunity at a great career pursuing what it is you want to pursue. No matter your choice, you are going to be picking between options where there is no truly wrong answer.

HTH.
Thanks for this, and I hear you on weather. I'm from Ohio and currently finishing up 4 years in South Carolina; I don't know if I can make the transition back. Overall this was helpful and I appreciate your input.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”