Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MoneyTeam
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:05 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MoneyTeam » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:10 pm

Does anyone know if Berkeley is good for giving money? I sure hope so, I would love to be there.

sokomofo
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:49 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sokomofo » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:56 am

.
Last edited by sokomofo on Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

addy11
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby addy11 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:01 am

MoneyTeam wrote:Does anyone know if Berkeley is good for giving money? I sure hope so, I would love to be there.


Berkeley is famous for giving out matching aid for all of the t14 (minus Northwestern, for whatever reason... probably because they are excessively generous). This seems to be a rare occurrence, but it still happens where someone gets $90,000 at Cornell or something and gets Berkeley to match it dollar for dollar.

User avatar
Champion
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:13 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Champion » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:16 pm

addy11 wrote:
MoneyTeam wrote:Does anyone know if Berkeley is good for giving money? I sure hope so, I would love to be there.


Berkeley is famous for giving out matching aid for all of the t14 (minus Northwestern, for whatever reason... probably because they are excessively generous). This seems to be a rare occurrence, but it still happens where someone gets $90,000 at Cornell or something and gets Berkeley to match it dollar for dollar.


I sure hope so! But I was reading a bunch of posts from the c/o 2014 discussion about how they declined to match in some cases. So there's no guarantee in their matching program.

anewaphorist
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:13 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby anewaphorist » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:11 pm

I like what I'm hearing. Boalt, you may be a black box, but you've got your aid package strategy spot on!

addy11
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby addy11 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:17 am

Champion wrote:
addy11 wrote:
MoneyTeam wrote:Does anyone know if Berkeley is good for giving money? I sure hope so, I would love to be there.


Berkeley is famous for giving out matching aid for all of the t14 (minus Northwestern, for whatever reason... probably because they are excessively generous). This seems to be a rare occurrence, but it still happens where someone gets $90,000 at Cornell or something and gets Berkeley to match it dollar for dollar.


I sure hope so! But I was reading a bunch of posts from the c/o 2014 discussion about how they declined to match in some cases. So there's no guarantee in their matching program.


Right, no guarantee... but it's also not always the 3.98 and 174s who get this offer, either. I recall seeing some "marginal" (for Berkeley) candidates getting some pretty sweet offers based on similar offers from the lower t14.

Hold out hope!

newjersay
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:03 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby newjersay » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:40 pm

does anyone know if calls are being made today or this week?

mattbarnes123
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:49 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mattbarnes123 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:31 pm

radio silence here. send 9/15

txl
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby txl » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:06 pm

Just got a phone call - I'm in.

Not trolling. Check out the date of my account, fwiw. It was an assistant dean - didn't catch her name - but not Edward Tom. She said they started making calls last week, so it's probably random that nobody from TLS has heard yet.

For the inevitable requests: I submitted in late September (last couple of days), had a 3.8 at a t5 liberal arts, 167/174 on my 2 LSAT's, Non-URM, and i'd say pretty good (but definitely not spectacular) softs.

User avatar
Champion
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:13 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Champion » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:23 pm

txl wrote:Just got a phone call - I'm in.

Not trolling. Check out the date of my account, fwiw. It was an assistant dean - didn't catch her name - but not Edward Tom. She said they started making calls last week, so it's probably random that nobody from TLS has heard yet.

For the inevitable requests: I submitted in late September (last couple of days), had a 3.8 at a t5 liberal arts, 167/174 on my 2 LSAT's, Non-URM, and i'd say pretty good (but definitely not spectacular) softs.


Congratulations! Probably was Ms. Kristin Alvarez. They've been making calls sporadically, one of my friends got a call yesterday on Sunday from Dean Tom. It's weird, how more people haven't reported acceptances yet. I'm not sure what's going on. Berkeley does their own thing. Gotta love em

User avatar
vincanity1
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby vincanity1 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:01 pm

In at Berkeley via phone call at 8:50 EST. 173 3.77 Cuban. So pumped. a 1.5 page PS so don't fret, those of you who didn't go the 4 pgs.

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby FryBreadPower » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:04 pm

vincanity1 wrote:In at Berkeley via phone call at 8:50 EST. 173 3.77 Cuban. So pumped. a 1.5 page PS so don't fret, those of you who didn't go the 4 pgs.


When did you submit/go complete?

User avatar
vincanity1
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby vincanity1 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:04 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:In at Berkeley via phone call at 8:50 EST. 173 3.77 Cuban. So pumped. a 1.5 page PS so don't fret, those of you who didn't go the 4 pgs.


When did you submit/go complete?


Submitted 10/15. Not sure about complete. Sorry about that.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:20 pm

Congrats everyone! I;ma good two weeks behind today's acceptances, so I don't have to worry just yet

spek
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby spek » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:30 pm

In via phone call. So excited!

User avatar
thelawschoolproject
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:31 pm

For those of you getting calls, when did you go UR?

User avatar
vincanity1
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby vincanity1 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:37 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:For those of you getting calls, when did you go UR?


Oct. 27

User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sandwiches5000 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:39 pm

vincanity1 wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:For those of you getting calls, when did you go UR?


Oct. 27


Congrats! I went under review Oct. 27th too... hmm...
Last edited by sandwiches5000 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby FryBreadPower » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:42 pm

sandwiches5000 wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:For those of you getting calls, when did you go UR?


Oct. 27


Congrats! I went under review Oct. 28... :shock:


11/10 here :( guess I will be waiting a little while longer.

User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sandwiches5000 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:45 pm

Yeah. But it's okay! That guy up there said he submitted in late Sept and just got in so sometimes it takes a bit longer for some people than for others but it doesn't necessarily mean you're going to hear bad news. :D

rickfox
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:55 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby rickfox » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:46 pm

UR 10/19. No word yet. I see they're already calling UR 10/27-28 admits. Should I assume WL/reject at this point?

User avatar
law chihuahua
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby law chihuahua » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:51 pm

rickfox wrote:UR 10/19. No word yet. I see they're already calling UR 10/27-28 admits. Should I assume WL/reject at this point?


With Berkeley I don't think you can assume anything for sure at this point. Hang in there. We might hear back sometime this week. (Knock on wood) lol

User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sandwiches5000 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:59 pm

law chihuahua wrote:
rickfox wrote:UR 10/19. No word yet. I see they're already calling UR 10/27-28 admits. Should I assume WL/reject at this point?


With Berkeley I don't think you can assume anything for sure at this point. Hang in there. We might hear back sometime this week. (Knock on wood) lol


Don't worry. Like I said. There are people from late Sept who are admits who are JUST hearing. Just because there are admits who have heard from late Oct doesn't mean all admits from this time period heard and the rest of us are assumed WL/rejects at this point. Remember your sufficient/necessary conditional LSAT reasoning!!! :D

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:18 pm

Are Berkeley acceptances only given through phone?

azgirl514
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:39 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby azgirl514 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:26 pm

rickfox wrote:UR 10/19. No word yet. I see they're already calling UR 10/27-28 admits. Should I assume WL/reject at this point?


Yeah, I'm in the same situation. I submitted 10/4 and went UR 10/19, so after no news today I got a little worried. Still, I am really hoping that they haven't finished accepting everyone from the 10/19 batch yet and are going through the process somewhat arbitrarily. Trying to keep positive!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”