Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby moneybagsphd » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:41 pm

.
Last edited by moneybagsphd on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby moneybagsphd » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:42 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:$0. Withdrawn.

They might have been willing to match your NYU scholly, if you had bothered to negotiate. But, given your full ride at NYU, the offer of nothing is a little insulting.

Twit
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:53 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Twit » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:23 pm

Hey guys--don't jump the gun on this. Those who were wondering if the packages that just came out reflect ONLY loan elgibility are correct--there is not merit aid in those packages. I just confirmed this with the Financial Aid office. If you applied for a merit or matching scholarship, you need to contact admissions if you want to check on that.

Decisions about merit/matching scholarships should be forthcoming; if you receive one (by the Admissions Office), they will repackage your loans as your elgibility will change.

Hope this helps.

potl
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:35 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby potl » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:53 pm

Twit wrote:Hey guys--don't jump the gun on this. Those who were wondering if the packages that just came out reflect ONLY loan elgibility are correct--there is not merit aid in those packages. I just confirmed this with the Financial Aid office. If you applied for a merit or matching scholarship, you need to contact admissions if you want to check on that.

Decisions about merit/matching scholarships should be forthcoming; if you receive one (by the Admissions Office), they will repackage your loans as your elgibility will change.

Hope this helps.


I'll be honest - if that's the truth (I assume it is because you've verified), then Berkeley's release of financial aid information so far was handed poorly. I, like many others, assumed that the package they sent included everything (it says gift aid - $0, or something) and withdrew almost immediately.

User avatar
cylon_clone
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cylon_clone » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:01 pm

potl wrote:
Twit wrote:Hey guys--don't jump the gun on this. Those who were wondering if the packages that just came out reflect ONLY loan elgibility are correct--there is not merit aid in those packages. I just confirmed this with the Financial Aid office. If you applied for a merit or matching scholarship, you need to contact admissions if you want to check on that.

Decisions about merit/matching scholarships should be forthcoming; if you receive one (by the Admissions Office), they will repackage your loans as your elgibility will change.

Hope this helps.


I'll be honest - if that's the truth (I assume it is because you've verified), then Berkeley's release of financial aid information so far was handed poorly. I, like many others, assumed that the package they sent included everything (it says gift aid - $0, or something) and withdrew almost immediately.


+1.
it has been handled poorly. I also assumed "gift aid" included everything. I sent an email a few days ago to admissions - stating the vagueness of the term "gift aid" and asked if the finaid package included the matching scholarship consideration and if not, would notification of the scholly be imminent.. Still haven't received a simple "no" response for the former or "yes" for the latter question.

mtwiag
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mtwiag » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:30 pm

hey all- new to TLS but have been creeping on/off for a few months. had to make sure people weren't withdrawing their acceptances based on packages out right now.. current offers reflect ONLY loans and need-based grants..

i received a fellowship and my loans were repackaged accordingly.

have patience! (easier said than done, i know!)

User avatar
sailboat
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:43 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sailboat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:17 pm

potl wrote:
Twit wrote:Hey guys--don't jump the gun on this. Those who were wondering if the packages that just came out reflect ONLY loan elgibility are correct--there is not merit aid in those packages. I just confirmed this with the Financial Aid office. If you applied for a merit or matching scholarship, you need to contact admissions if you want to check on that.

Decisions about merit/matching scholarships should be forthcoming; if you receive one (by the Admissions Office), they will repackage your loans as your elgibility will change.

Hope this helps.


I'll be honest - if that's the truth (I assume it is because you've verified), then Berkeley's release of financial aid information so far was handed poorly. I, like many others, assumed that the package they sent included everything (it says gift aid - $0, or something) and withdrew almost immediately.


Look, I gotta admit, I don't understand why people on TLS are so hot to withdraw. I've been a lot slower to withdraw, mostly because I want to make sure I have a full and complete understanding of financial aid offers before I make a decision. This would be why...

Sure, when you know there's absolutely no way you'll be attending a school, withdrawing in a timely manner is the right thing to do. (Though I think 'timely' is a matter of days, not minutes.) But they do account for the fact that something like 60% of their admits will eventually decline, and they also recognize that applicants need - and are completely entitled to - time to receive their financial aid information, ask questions, negotiate, etc.

I do agree with you, however, that Berkeley's financial aid communication so far has left a lot to be desired.

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jim-green » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:58 am

From Berkeley's financial aid website:
Acceptance of a scholarship offer requires simultaneous acceptance of our offer of admission and withdraw from all schools where you've been admitted, a decision is pending, or where you are on a waitlist or "hold" list. In the interest of fairness to all other scholarship candidates who may still be waiting for a decision or for more funds to become available, we ask that you respect this requirement.

This is different from Asha's blog.

User avatar
larsoner
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:33 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby larsoner » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:55 pm

jim-green wrote:From Berkeley's financial aid website:
Acceptance of a scholarship offer requires simultaneous acceptance of our offer of admission and withdraw from all schools where you've been admitted, a decision is pending, or where you are on a waitlist or "hold" list. In the interest of fairness to all other scholarship candidates who may still be waiting for a decision or for more funds to become available, we ask that you respect this requirement.

This is different from Asha's blog.


If you read through the Chicago thread, I think the consensus is that schools aren't going to enforce this policy since its in violation of their LSAC membership agreements. The LSAC policy is newish so this may just be old text that they are in no hurry to update.

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby FryBreadPower » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:15 pm

Oh my lord. I was going to withdraw last week but never got around to it.

Just given the Dean's Fellowship award - $135k.

Losing my fucking mind.

Barca10
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:46 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Barca10 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:32 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:Oh my lord. I was going to withdraw last week but never got around to it.

Just given the Dean's Fellowship award - $135k.

Losing my fucking mind.


Congratulations! That is absolutely outstanding. How did you find out?

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby FryBreadPower » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Barca10 wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:Oh my lord. I was going to withdraw last week but never got around to it.

Just given the Dean's Fellowship award - $135k.

Losing my fucking mind.


Congratulations! That is absolutely outstanding. How did you find out?


Via e-mail with attachment.

poe
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby poe » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:56 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:Oh my lord. I was going to withdraw last week but never got around to it.

Just given the Dean's Fellowship award - $135k.

Losing my fucking mind.


Wow, that's amazing! I didn't even know that Berkeley gave out scholarships like that. Did you previously send in a matching request?

cj03
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:10 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cj03 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:59 pm

Does this mean scholarships may be released this week? I am waiting to see if I get any money from berkeley before I make my final decision.

User avatar
Redamon1
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Redamon1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:23 pm

poe wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:Oh my lord. I was going to withdraw last week but never got around to it.

Just given the Dean's Fellowship award - $135k.

Losing my fucking mind.


Wow, that's amazing! I didn't even know that Berkeley gave out scholarships like that. Did you previously send in a matching request?


Congrats, that's fantastic!

I received a DF of a similar amount, so it can be done! Good luck (and patience) to all.

User avatar
sailboat
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:43 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sailboat » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:40 am

FryBreadPower wrote:Oh my lord. I was going to withdraw last week but never got around to it.

Just given the Dean's Fellowship award - $135k.

Losing my fucking mind.


Yaaaay, congrats!!

User avatar
sailboat
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:43 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sailboat » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:04 pm

Got my "need-based" aid email today: nothing.

I kind of wonder if this is because I applied way late, or because it's really merit aid they're dishing out, or what. My undergrad and HLS both considered me to be in the highly needy category, so I have a hard time believing Berkeley looked at the same numbers and figured my family can actually afford to pay sticker. :)

Geneva
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:32 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Geneva » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:32 pm

sailboat wrote:Got my "need-based" aid email today: nothing.

I kind of wonder if this is because I applied way late, or because it's really merit aid they're dishing out, or what. My undergrad and HLS both considered me to be in the highly needy category, so I have a hard time believing Berkeley looked at the same numbers and figured my family can actually afford to pay sticker. :)


aw, that is a shame! question: are you technically considered a URM? i've heard rumors that berkeley gives strong preference to URMs when dispensing aid. again, these are only rumors from friends of mine, so idk how true they are. just throwing out one possibility.

DBishops
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:17 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby DBishops » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:40 pm

Berkeley not giving scholarship info before our respective deadlines is pretty messed up. It's really late in the cycle.

User avatar
thelawschoolproject
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:43 pm

DBishops wrote:Berkeley not giving scholarship info before our respective deadlines is pretty messed up. It's really late in the cycle.


I called today and they said that there would be a massive wave of scholarship offers (particularly matching scholarships) sometime next week. They are waiting for current scholarship recipients to respond to the deadline that is on Monday.

DBishops
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:17 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby DBishops » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:46 pm

That's nice that we'll hear next week. But some of us already let a nice offer pass! Looks like I bet the farm...

User avatar
thelawschoolproject
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:48 pm

DBishops wrote:That's nice that we'll hear next week. But some of us already let a nice offer pass! Looks like I bet the farm...


Nah, I know. I had to pass on my UVA scholly cause the deadline was last week...which...was rather disappointing :/

Kimberly
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:45 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Kimberly » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:54 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
DBishops wrote:Berkeley not giving scholarship info before our respective deadlines is pretty messed up. It's really late in the cycle.


I called today and they said that there would be a massive wave of scholarship offers (particularly matching scholarships) sometime next week. They are waiting for current scholarship recipients to respond to the deadline that is on Monday.


But, isn't the deadline to accept our offer for Berkeley admission also Monday 4/16? In which case, will we have to accept our offer of admission BEFORE getting merit-based aid offers from Berkeley? In which case, won't I have just spent $500 to reserve my seat while also being totally unsure about whether or not I can afford it? In which case also, won't my ability to negotiate merit aid be completely out the window since I have already told them I am committed to attending? So confused...

EvelynS
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:31 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby EvelynS » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Kimberly wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:
DBishops wrote:Berkeley not giving scholarship info before our respective deadlines is pretty messed up. It's really late in the cycle.


I called today and they said that there would be a massive wave of scholarship offers (particularly matching scholarships) sometime next week. They are waiting for current scholarship recipients to respond to the deadline that is on Monday.


But, isn't the deadline to accept our offer for Berkeley admission also Monday 4/16? In which case, will we have to accept our offer of admission BEFORE getting merit-based aid offers from Berkeley? In which case, won't I have just spent $500 to reserve my seat while also being totally unsure about whether or not I can afford it? In which case also, won't my ability to negotiate merit aid be completely out the window since I have already told them I am committed to attending? So confused...


First, you can accept tentatively and give them a definite answer by June 1. Second, Berkeley doesn't require a deposit payment. So, I guess it is not as bad.

I received my need-based email today. Hopefully, will get some merit aid from Berk soon:)

lblelalr
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lblelalr » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:06 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
DBishops wrote:Berkeley not giving scholarship info before our respective deadlines is pretty messed up. It's really late in the cycle.


I called today and they said that there would be a massive wave of scholarship offers (particularly matching scholarships) sometime next week. They are waiting for current scholarship recipients to respond to the deadline that is on Monday.


dangit, it looks like they're pushing the date back. when i asked last week, they said offers would be made this week before ASW :?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”