Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
moneybagsphd

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby moneybagsphd » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:41 pm

Last edited by moneybagsphd on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:42 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:$0. Withdrawn.

They might have been willing to match your NYU scholly, if you had bothered to negotiate. But, given your full ride at NYU, the offer of nothing is a little insulting.

Twit

Postby Twit » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:23 pm

Hey guys--don't jump the gun on this. Those who were wondering if the packages that just came out reflect ONLY loan elgibility are correct--there is not merit aid in those packages. I just confirmed this with the Financial Aid office. If you applied for a merit or matching scholarship, you need to contact admissions if you want to check on that.

Decisions about merit/matching scholarships should be forthcoming; if you receive one (by the Admissions Office), they will repackage your loans as your elgibility will change.

Hope this helps.

potl

Postby potl » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:53 pm

Twit wrote:Hey guys--don't jump the gun on this. Those who were wondering if the packages that just came out reflect ONLY loan elgibility are correct--there is not merit aid in those packages. I just confirmed this with the Financial Aid office. If you applied for a merit or matching scholarship, you need to contact admissions if you want to check on that.

Decisions about merit/matching scholarships should be forthcoming; if you receive one (by the Admissions Office), they will repackage your loans as your elgibility will change.

Hope this helps.

I'll be honest - if that's the truth (I assume it is because you've verified), then Berkeley's release of financial aid information so far was handed poorly. I, like many others, assumed that the package they sent included everything (it says gift aid - $0, or something) and withdrew almost immediately.

cylon_clone

Postby cylon_clone » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:01 pm

potl wrote:
Twit wrote:Hey guys--don't jump the gun on this. Those who were wondering if the packages that just came out reflect ONLY loan elgibility are correct--there is not merit aid in those packages. I just confirmed this with the Financial Aid office. If you applied for a merit or matching scholarship, you need to contact admissions if you want to check on that.

Hope this helps.

I'll be honest - if that's the truth (I assume it is because you've verified), then Berkeley's release of financial aid information so far was handed poorly. I, like many others, assumed that the package they sent included everything (it says gift aid - $0, or something) and withdrew almost immediately.

+1.
it has been handled poorly. I also assumed "gift aid" included everything. I sent an email a few days ago to admissions - stating the vagueness of the term "gift aid" and asked if the finaid package included the matching scholarship consideration and if not, would notification of the scholly be imminent.. Still haven't received a simple "no" response for the former or "yes" for the latter question.

mtwiag

Postby mtwiag » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:30 pm

hey all- new to TLS but have been creeping on/off for a few months. had to make sure people weren't withdrawing their acceptances based on packages out right now.. current offers reflect ONLY loans and need-based grants..

i received a fellowship and my loans were repackaged accordingly.

have patience! (easier said than done, i know!)

sailboat

Postby sailboat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:17 pm

potl wrote:

Hope this helps.

Look, I gotta admit, I don't understand why people on TLS are so hot to withdraw. I've been a lot slower to withdraw, mostly because I want to make sure I have a full and complete understanding of financial aid offers before I make a decision. This would be why...

Sure, when you know there's absolutely no way you'll be attending a school, withdrawing in a timely manner is the right thing to do. (Though I think 'timely' is a matter of days, not minutes.) But they do account for the fact that something like 60% of their admits will eventually decline, and they also recognize that applicants need - and are completely entitled to - time to receive their financial aid information, ask questions, negotiate, etc.

I do agree with you, however, that Berkeley's financial aid communication so far has left a lot to be desired.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:58 am

From Berkeley's financial aid website:
Acceptance of a scholarship offer requires simultaneous acceptance of our offer of admission and withdraw from all schools where you've been admitted, a decision is pending, or where you are on a waitlist or "hold" list. In the interest of fairness to all other scholarship candidates who may still be waiting for a decision or for more funds to become available, we ask that you respect this requirement.

This is different from Asha's blog.

larsoner

Postby larsoner » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:55 pm

jim-green wrote:From Berkeley's financial aid website:
Acceptance of a scholarship offer requires simultaneous acceptance of our offer of admission and withdraw from all schools where you've been admitted, a decision is pending, or where you are on a waitlist or "hold" list. In the interest of fairness to all other scholarship candidates who may still be waiting for a decision or for more funds to become available, we ask that you respect this requirement.

This is different from Asha's blog.

If you read through the Chicago thread, I think the consensus is that schools aren't going to enforce this policy since its in violation of their LSAC membership agreements. The LSAC policy is newish so this may just be old text that they are in no hurry to update.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:15 pm

Oh my lord. I was going to withdraw last week but never got around to it.

Just given the Dean's Fellowship award - $135k.

Losing my fucking mind.

Barca10

Postby Barca10 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:32 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:Oh my lord. I was going to withdraw last week but never got around to it.

Losing my fucking mind.

Congratulations! That is absolutely outstanding. How did you find out?

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Barca10 wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:Oh my lord. I was going to withdraw last week but never got around to it.

Losing my fucking mind.

Congratulations! That is absolutely outstanding. How did you find out?

Via e-mail with attachment.

poe

Postby poe » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:56 pm

Losing my fucking mind.

Wow, that's amazing! I didn't even know that Berkeley gave out scholarships like that. Did you previously send in a matching request?

cj03

Postby cj03 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:59 pm

Does this mean scholarships may be released this week? I am waiting to see if I get any money from berkeley before I make my final decision.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:23 pm

poe wrote:

Losing my fucking mind.

Wow, that's amazing! I didn't even know that Berkeley gave out scholarships like that. Did you previously send in a matching request?

Congrats, that's fantastic!

I received a DF of a similar amount, so it can be done! Good luck (and patience) to all.

sailboat

Postby sailboat » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:40 am

Losing my fucking mind.

Yaaaay, congrats!!

sailboat

Postby sailboat » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:04 pm

Got my "need-based" aid email today: nothing.

I kind of wonder if this is because I applied way late, or because it's really merit aid they're dishing out, or what. My undergrad and HLS both considered me to be in the highly needy category, so I have a hard time believing Berkeley looked at the same numbers and figured my family can actually afford to pay sticker. :)

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:32 pm

sailboat wrote:Got my "need-based" aid email today: nothing.

I kind of wonder if this is because I applied way late, or because it's really merit aid they're dishing out, or what. My undergrad and HLS both considered me to be in the highly needy category, so I have a hard time believing Berkeley looked at the same numbers and figured my family can actually afford to pay sticker. :)

aw, that is a shame! question: are you technically considered a URM? i've heard rumors that berkeley gives strong preference to URMs when dispensing aid. again, these are only rumors from friends of mine, so idk how true they are. just throwing out one possibility.

DBishops

Postby DBishops » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:40 pm

Berkeley not giving scholarship info before our respective deadlines is pretty messed up. It's really late in the cycle.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:43 pm

DBishops wrote:Berkeley not giving scholarship info before our respective deadlines is pretty messed up. It's really late in the cycle.

I called today and they said that there would be a massive wave of scholarship offers (particularly matching scholarships) sometime next week. They are waiting for current scholarship recipients to respond to the deadline that is on Monday.

DBishops

Postby DBishops » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:46 pm

That's nice that we'll hear next week. But some of us already let a nice offer pass! Looks like I bet the farm...

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:48 pm

DBishops wrote:That's nice that we'll hear next week. But some of us already let a nice offer pass! Looks like I bet the farm...

Nah, I know. I had to pass on my UVA scholly cause the deadline was last week...which...was rather disappointing :/

Kimberly

Postby Kimberly » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:54 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
DBishops wrote:Berkeley not giving scholarship info before our respective deadlines is pretty messed up. It's really late in the cycle.

I called today and they said that there would be a massive wave of scholarship offers (particularly matching scholarships) sometime next week. They are waiting for current scholarship recipients to respond to the deadline that is on Monday.

But, isn't the deadline to accept our offer for Berkeley admission also Monday 4/16? In which case, will we have to accept our offer of admission BEFORE getting merit-based aid offers from Berkeley? In which case, won't I have just spent $500 to reserve my seat while also being totally unsure about whether or not I can afford it? In which case also, won't my ability to negotiate merit aid be completely out the window since I have already told them I am committed to attending? So confused...

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Kimberly wrote:

But, isn't the deadline to accept our offer for Berkeley admission also Monday 4/16? In which case, will we have to accept our offer of admission BEFORE getting merit-based aid offers from Berkeley? In which case, won't I have just spent $500 to reserve my seat while also being totally unsure about whether or not I can afford it? In which case also, won't my ability to negotiate merit aid be completely out the window since I have already told them I am committed to attending? So confused...

First, you can accept tentatively and give them a definite answer by June 1. Second, Berkeley doesn't require a deposit payment. So, I guess it is not as bad.

I received my need-based email today. Hopefully, will get some merit aid from Berk soon:)

lblelalr

Postby lblelalr » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:06 pm

dangit, it looks like they're pushing the date back. when i asked last week, they said offers would be made this week before ASW :?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”