Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
THATSHOWYOUGETANTS
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby THATSHOWYOUGETANTS » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:12 pm

tadlbb wrote:I don't want to be a downer, but I looked through last year's thread and around this time there was a big round of rejections, followed about a week later by another big round of rejections, including a number of people that had been UR since November. I don't understand why they don't just tell everyone at once. They've had 11/22 apps for over 2 months.

my understanding is that Berkeley has a similar setup as the greeks did at Delphi.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:13 pm

tadlbb wrote:
RomaRomaRoma wrote:Are there any cases of people left behind after the first wave of R, and later admitted?


Its hard to match names to review dates, so i'm sure there were a few, but it seems like the majority of people who didn't make FR and were under review for 2+ months were later rejected. There are even comments from people last year that the majority of those left off of FR the year before that had been later rejected.


Well, some people were admitted today who went UR 11/22 and didn't get the FR

RomaRomaRoma
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby RomaRomaRoma » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:17 pm

Right - I assume those may be the last few...

Also, doubt they decided to reject everyone who is in the dark still, and are just waiting to tell them later. They may have saved those people as either 2nd round FR or a later Reject...no idea, but that's my guess.

tadlbb
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:03 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby tadlbb » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:24 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
tadlbb wrote:
RomaRomaRoma wrote:Are there any cases of people left behind after the first wave of R, and later admitted?


Its hard to match names to review dates, so i'm sure there were a few, but it seems like the majority of people who didn't make FR and were under review for 2+ months were later rejected. There are even comments from people last year that the majority of those left off of FR the year before that had been later rejected.


Well, some people were admitted today who went UR 11/22 and didn't get the FR


Thats a great point. I guess I couldn't help but feel optimistic not getting the ding today, but then I read through last year's thread and started to feel the opposite.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:35 pm

tadlbb wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
tadlbb wrote:
RomaRomaRoma wrote:Are there any cases of people left behind after the first wave of R, and later admitted?


Its hard to match names to review dates, so i'm sure there were a few, but it seems like the majority of people who didn't make FR and were under review for 2+ months were later rejected. There are even comments from people last year that the majority of those left off of FR the year before that had been later rejected.


Well, some people were admitted today who went UR 11/22 and didn't get the FR


Thats a great point. I guess I couldn't help but feel optimistic not getting the ding today, but then I read through last year's thread and started to feel the opposite.


I did the same... and last year there def wasn't a batch of accepted for those who didn't get FR, so maybe there is still hope

MikeTheWilliams
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:54 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MikeTheWilliams » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:58 pm

Dinged via email (no FR).
I'm a splitter so I wasn't really expecting much out of Berkeley

User avatar
cactuarX3
Posts: 686
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cactuarX3 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:03 am

msblaw89 wrote:I did the same... and last year there def wasn't a batch of accepted for those who didn't get FR, so maybe there is still hope


Was? or Wasn't?

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:23 am

cactuarX3 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:I did the same... and last year there def wasn't a batch of accepted for those who didn't get FR, so maybe there is still hope


Was? or Wasn't?


Sorry, last year there WAS NOT a batch of acceptances for those who did not get FR

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:25 am

msblaw89 wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:I did the same... and last year there def wasn't a batch of accepted for those who didn't get FR, so maybe there is still hope


Was? or Wasn't?


Sorry, last year there WAS NOT a batch of acceptances for those who did not get FR


Implying that this cycle could be different... maybe some of us non FRers will get acceptances

plurilingue
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby plurilingue » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:56 am

.
Last edited by plurilingue on Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:56 am

MikeTheWilliams wrote:Dinged via email (no FR).
I'm a splitter so I wasn't really expecting much out of Berkeley


Damn, your numbers are better than mine too.

Not expecting much from Boalt either, but I really want to go.

Congrats plu

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:08 am

Okay, I have a theory. RIght now, Berkeley has already reached its maximum acceptances sans the FR accepts. We who are in the non FR pile, but have no been rejected are on HOLD. As Berkeley has regular admits withdraw, it pulls from the pile of non FRers, reevaluates, and makes accepts/rejections proportionally to the amount of slots that became available. This would explain why it is happening so sporadically, and why last year.. some people were left in the game until March.If not enough slots open up by the application deadline, those of us in purgatory that have not been accepted will then be rejected. JUST A THEORY

User avatar
hadisious
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby hadisious » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:15 am

msblaw89 wrote:Okay, I have a theory. RIght now, Berkeley has already reached its maximum acceptances sans the FR accepts. We who are in the non FR pile, but have no been rejected are on HOLD. As Berkeley has regular admits withdraw, it pulls from the pile of non FRers, reevaluates, and makes accepts/rejections proportionally to the amount of slots that became available. This would explain why it is happening so sporadically, and why last year.. some people were left in the game until March.If not enough slots open up by the application deadline, those of us in purgatory that have not been accepted will then be rejected. JUST A THEORY

Interesting theory, and pretty sensible as well. I can't decide if that means those of us on "hold" are considered to be more or less competitive than the FR pile.

neuroticjew
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:46 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby neuroticjew » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:36 am

So I haven't been accepted, dinged, waitlisted, or anything else, but I did get an email from Berkeley last week saying they expect to decide on my application by February 17. WHAT DOES IT MEAN? :?

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:38 am

neuroticjew wrote:So I haven't been accepted, dinged, waitlisted, or anything else, but I did get an email from Berkeley last week saying they expect to decide on my application by February 17. WHAT DOES IT MEAN? :?

You are in Faculty Review

RomaRomaRoma
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby RomaRomaRoma » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:30 pm

hadisious wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Okay, I have a theory. RIght now, Berkeley has already reached its maximum acceptances sans the FR accepts. We who are in the non FR pile, but have no been rejected are on HOLD. As Berkeley has regular admits withdraw, it pulls from the pile of non FRers, reevaluates, and makes accepts/rejections proportionally to the amount of slots that became available. This would explain why it is happening so sporadically, and why last year.. some people were left in the game until March.If not enough slots open up by the application deadline, those of us in purgatory that have not been accepted will then be rejected. JUST A THEORY

Interesting theory, and pretty sensible as well. I can't decide if that means those of us on "hold" are considered to be more or less competitive than the FR pile.



That could be, but it's much more likely that the rejections are coming in waves (like previous years) and nearly all us remaining folks will be out soon. Think about it: Why wouldn't they fill those spots with people from FR? Also, it seems like a lot of the people without a decision and without FR have unique applications rather than just strong numbers. My sample size is miniscule, however..

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:40 pm

RomaRomaRoma wrote:
hadisious wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Okay, I have a theory. RIght now, Berkeley has already reached its maximum acceptances sans the FR accepts. We who are in the non FR pile, but have no been rejected are on HOLD. As Berkeley has regular admits withdraw, it pulls from the pile of non FRers, reevaluates, and makes accepts/rejections proportionally to the amount of slots that became available. This would explain why it is happening so sporadically, and why last year.. some people were left in the game until March.If not enough slots open up by the application deadline, those of us in purgatory that have not been accepted will then be rejected. JUST A THEORY

Interesting theory, and pretty sensible as well. I can't decide if that means those of us on "hold" are considered to be more or less competitive than the FR pile.



That could be, but it's much more likely that the rejections are coming in waves (like previous years) and nearly all us remaining folks will be out soon. Think about it: Why wouldn't they fill those spots with people from FR? Also, it seems like a lot of the people without a decision and without FR have unique applications rather than just strong numbers. My sample size is miniscule, however..


Alternatively, why wouldn't Berkeley send all rejections at once for a specific UR date?

RomaRomaRoma
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby RomaRomaRoma » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:41 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
RomaRomaRoma wrote:
hadisious wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Okay, I have a theory. RIght now, Berkeley has already reached its maximum acceptances sans the FR accepts. We who are in the non FR pile, but have no been rejected are on HOLD. As Berkeley has regular admits withdraw, it pulls from the pile of non FRers, reevaluates, and makes accepts/rejections proportionally to the amount of slots that became available. This would explain why it is happening so sporadically, and why last year.. some people were left in the game until March.If not enough slots open up by the application deadline, those of us in purgatory that have not been accepted will then be rejected. JUST A THEORY

Interesting theory, and pretty sensible as well. I can't decide if that means those of us on "hold" are considered to be more or less competitive than the FR pile.



That could be, but it's much more likely that the rejections are coming in waves (like previous years) and nearly all us remaining folks will be out soon. Think about it: Why wouldn't they fill those spots with people from FR? Also, it seems like a lot of the people without a decision and without FR have unique applications rather than just strong numbers. My sample size is miniscule, however..


Alternatively, why wouldn't Berkeley send all rejections at once for a specific UR date?



True, but the fact that in prior years they have done the same indicate that it is probably ingrained into their process.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:42 pm

^^ Also, I'm not suggesting that we aren't all going to get dinged ( although I hope not).. but I believe there is a method to the madness

User avatar
pupshaw
Posts: 504
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby pupshaw » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:54 pm

msblaw89 wrote:This is torture

User avatar
hadisious
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby hadisious » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:25 pm

RomaRomaRoma wrote:
hadisious wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Okay, I have a theory. RIght now, Berkeley has already reached its maximum acceptances sans the FR accepts. We who are in the non FR pile, but have no been rejected are on HOLD. As Berkeley has regular admits withdraw, it pulls from the pile of non FRers, reevaluates, and makes accepts/rejections proportionally to the amount of slots that became available. This would explain why it is happening so sporadically, and why last year.. some people were left in the game until March.If not enough slots open up by the application deadline, those of us in purgatory that have not been accepted will then be rejected. JUST A THEORY

Interesting theory, and pretty sensible as well. I can't decide if that means those of us on "hold" are considered to be more or less competitive than the FR pile.



That could be, but it's much more likely that the rejections are coming in waves (like previous years) and nearly all us remaining folks will be out soon. Think about it: Why wouldn't they fill those spots with people from FR? Also, it seems like a lot of the people without a decision and without FR have unique applications rather than just strong numbers. My sample size is miniscule, however..

The dean makes it clear in his interview that the allotted space for FR acceptances (~200) is separate from the initial pool(~500). That's why they wouldn't fill those spots with people from FR.

RomaRomaRoma
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby RomaRomaRoma » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:31 pm

The dean makes it clear in his interview that the allotted space for FR acceptances (~200) is separate from the initial pool(~500). That's why they wouldn't fill those spots with people from FR.[/quote]


But how would the non FR, no decision people be defined? If they were more qualified than FR, they wouldn't risk using them just to fill spots and reject them if no spots open. And, if they are not as qualified as FR, why not fill those spots with FR?

Just because the pools are different does not mean that FR apps cannot be used to fill in gaps in the initial 500. I wish you were right, but I highly doubt that they'd keep a pool of apps that they loved simply to fill holes that may open.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:08 pm

hadisious wrote:
RomaRomaRoma wrote:
hadisious wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Okay, I have a theory. RIght now, Berkeley has already reached its maximum acceptances sans the FR accepts. We who are in the non FR pile, but have no been rejected are on HOLD. As Berkeley has regular admits withdraw, it pulls from the pile of non FRers, reevaluates, and makes accepts/rejections proportionally to the amount of slots that became available. This would explain why it is happening so sporadically, and why last year.. some people were left in the game until March.If not enough slots open up by the application deadline, those of us in purgatory that have not been accepted will then be rejected. JUST A THEORY

Interesting theory, and pretty sensible as well. I can't decide if that means those of us on "hold" are considered to be more or less competitive than the FR pile.



That could be, but it's much more likely that the rejections are coming in waves (like previous years) and nearly all us remaining folks will be out soon. Think about it: Why wouldn't they fill those spots with people from FR? Also, it seems like a lot of the people without a decision and without FR have unique applications rather than just strong numbers. My sample size is miniscule, however..

The dean makes it clear in his interview that the allotted space for FR acceptances (~200) is separate from the initial pool(~500). That's why they wouldn't fill those spots with people from FR.


Exactly, since Dean Tom separates the 2 groups... I did in my theory

User avatar
cactuarX3
Posts: 686
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cactuarX3 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:12 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Okay, I have a theory. RIght now, Berkeley has already reached its maximum acceptances sans the FR accepts. We who are in the non FR pile, but have no been rejected are on HOLD. As Berkeley has regular admits withdraw, it pulls from the pile of non FRers, reevaluates, and makes accepts/rejections proportionally to the amount of slots that became available. This would explain why it is happening so sporadically, and why last year.. some people were left in the game until March.If not enough slots open up by the application deadline, those of us in purgatory that have not been accepted will then be rejected. JUST A THEORY


--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
hadisious
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby hadisious » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:28 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Okay, I have a theory. RIght now, Berkeley has already reached its maximum acceptances sans the FR accepts. We who are in the non FR pile, but have no been rejected are on HOLD. As Berkeley has regular admits withdraw, it pulls from the pile of non FRers, reevaluates, and makes accepts/rejections proportionally to the amount of slots that became available. This would explain why it is happening so sporadically, and why last year.. some people were left in the game until March.If not enough slots open up by the application deadline, those of us in purgatory that have not been accepted will then be rejected. JUST A THEORY


--ImageRemoved--

TITCR.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Assasindowntheavenue, Google Adsense [Bot], Keilz, Long shot hero, maybeman, mudiverse, Nickel94, Nobiggie, NotAGolfer, RickyBunny, sec_undergrad, xn3345 and 36 guests