Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thelawschoolproject

Silver

Re: Berkeley c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by thelawschoolproject » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:27 pm

larsoner wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:
larsoner wrote:I called them about matching scholarship. (The deadline I gave with the matching scholarship request has already passed.) The woman on the phone told me that it's possible I'm still in consideration but "chances aren't as great as they were before." I'm taking that to mean that we aren't necessarily going to be notified if we don't get a scholarship and that most of the money has been given out. I'm planning then to withdraw. Columbia here I come.

Their policy is to notify you if you don't receive a matching scholarship, fwiw.
Where are you getting that from? Is it up on their website?

1). I called earlier this week and asked and the woman in charge of scholarships told me they e-mail you if you haven't received a matching scholarship.

2). I just received my matching scholarship e-mail which said that I did not receive a matching scholarship.

FavoriteColorGRUE

Bronze

Post by FavoriteColorGRUE » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:19 am

Does anyone know about the non-matching, other merit scholarships? Have those pretty much all been given out??

ViennaGraben

New

Post by ViennaGraben » Wed May 02, 2012 12:43 pm

Just withdrew. Hope my spot goes to someone awesome! Best of luck to everyone on your decisions!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed May 02, 2012 12:44 pm

FavoriteColorGRUE wrote:Does anyone know about the non-matching, other merit scholarships? Have those pretty much all been given out??
They basically don't exist / go to diverse applicants.

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Mon May 14, 2012 1:22 pm

Can anyone who successfully deferred pm me please? i need to defer and would like to talk about the best way to do this, and when to ask them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FavoriteColorGRUE

Bronze

Post by FavoriteColorGRUE » Mon May 21, 2012 5:48 pm

Does anyone know specifics re: the need to withdraw from WLs when you select the "will attend" response (which I know we need to do by June 1st)?

From the site: "I accept admission to Berkeley Law School. I will definitely enroll as a member of the Class of 2015 in August. I will withdraw my application and remove myself from waiting lists at all other law schools immediately. I agree to notify the Admissions Office if my plans change subsequently so as to affect my enrollment in August."

Sorry if this has been asked before.... but is it actually true that we cannot stay on other WLs??

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Mon May 21, 2012 7:46 pm

FavoriteColorGRUE wrote:Does anyone know specifics re: the need to withdraw from WLs when you select the "will attend" response (which I know we need to do by June 1st)?

From the site: "I accept admission to Berkeley Law School. I will definitely enroll as a member of the Class of 2015 in August. I will withdraw my application and remove myself from waiting lists at all other law schools immediately. I agree to notify the Admissions Office if my plans change subsequently so as to affect my enrollment in August."

Sorry if this has been asked before.... but is it actually true that we cannot stay on other WLs??
It looks pretty clear on its face. It appears to me that they look entitled to the commitment because they don't require a seat deposit. I think we definitely cannot stay on another WL. Serious ethical implications in that. It could become a misconduct issue, right, and we could lose both spots, right?

pupshaw

Silver

Post by pupshaw » Mon May 21, 2012 7:59 pm

jim-green wrote:
FavoriteColorGRUE wrote:Does anyone know specifics re: the need to withdraw from WLs when you select the "will attend" response (which I know we need to do by June 1st)?

It looks pretty clear on its face. It appears to me that they look entitled to the commitment because they don't require a seat deposit. I think we definitely cannot stay on another WL. Serious ethical implications in that. It could become a misconduct issue, right, and we could lose both spots, right?
http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... rency.aspx

Whether you feel right about doing it is a separate issue, of course, since Berkeley asks you to make a commitment and asks you to honor it. But I don't think you could lose either spot.

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Mon May 21, 2012 8:10 pm

cerealdan wrote:
jim-green wrote:It looks pretty clear on its face. It appears to me that they look entitled to the commitment because they don't require a seat deposit. I think we definitely cannot stay on another WL. Serious ethical implications in that. It could become a misconduct issue, right, and we could lose both spots, right?
http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... rency.aspx Whether you feel right about doing it is a separate issue, of course, since Berkeley asks you to make a commitment and asks you to honor it. But I don't think you could lose either spot.
I've read the Yale blog before and it is about scholarships, not the June 1 deadline. The Cal language is pretty clear for June 1. If you do not withdraw other WLs, it violates the terms of the offer, you can lose the offer altogether and also be subject to misconduct proceedings, in which case you risk the possibility of losing all your offers. It is not about feeling right, but the terms of the offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pupshaw

Silver

Post by pupshaw » Mon May 21, 2012 8:58 pm

jim-green wrote:
cerealdan wrote:
jim-green wrote:It looks pretty clear on its face. It appears to me that they look entitled to the commitment because they don't require a seat deposit. I think we definitely cannot stay on another WL. Serious ethical implications in that. It could become a misconduct issue, right, and we could lose both spots, right?
http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... rency.aspx Whether you feel right about doing it is a separate issue, of course, since Berkeley asks you to make a commitment and asks you to honor it. But I don't think you could lose either spot.
I've read the Yale blog before and it is about scholarships, not the June 1 deadline. The Cal language is pretty clear for June 1. If you do not withdraw other WLs, it violates the terms of the offer, you can lose the offer altogether and also be subject to misconduct proceedings, in which case you risk the possibility of losing all your offers. It is not about feeling right, but the terms of the offer.
Asha makes it pretty clear that it's not just about scholarships: "law schools may not require applicants to withdraw from schools from which they have not yet received a decision as a condition of accepting a scholarship or any other type of offer."

But I don't really have a dog in this race, as I'm going elsewhere either way. Best of luck with your decisions, all!

houng89

New

Post by houng89 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:57 am

i wouldn't risk it given that the top law schools share a master list of people who have deposited at their schools, also LSAC informs the schools of people who have double deposited as well

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Tue May 22, 2012 7:59 am

houng89 wrote:i wouldn't risk it given that the top law schools share a master list of people who have deposited at their schools, also LSAC informs the schools of people who have double deposited as well
The question is not whether to deposit at multiple schools, but whether to accept at Cal thus saying you followed the language on their website, while you did not actually do it.

FavoriteColorGRUE

Bronze

Post by FavoriteColorGRUE » Tue May 22, 2012 9:37 am

jim-green wrote:
houng89 wrote:i wouldn't risk it given that the top law schools share a master list of people who have deposited at their schools, also LSAC informs the schools of people who have double deposited as well
The question is not whether to deposit at multiple schools, but whether to accept at Cal thus saying you followed the language on their website, while you did not actually do it.

...exactly.

And I'm worried about calling their Admissions office to ask...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Tue May 22, 2012 9:59 am

Man, this is bad...I called LSAC and they said Cal is allowed to do this. I think LSAC's rule is not a rule, but guideline. Cal can do what it likes. Not sure if Asha will help us since it is not Yale that I am WL at but another school. And if we go to ATL, we'll definitely be kicked out of Cal.

FavoriteColorGRUE

Bronze

Post by FavoriteColorGRUE » Tue May 22, 2012 11:09 am

jim-green wrote:Man, this is bad...I called LSAC and they said Cal is allowed to do this. I think LSAC's rule is not a rule, but guideline. Cal can do what it likes. Not sure if Asha will help us since it is not Yale that I am WL at but another school. And if we go to ATL, we'll definitely be kicked out of Cal.

PMing you

umar20036

New

Post by umar20036 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:12 am

Hey guys,

I am in a similar dilemma - has anyone called the admissions office to ask?

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Tue May 22, 2012 11:25 am

umar20036 wrote:Hey guys, I am in a similar dilemma - has anyone called the admissions office to ask?
I wish all of us could organize and tell Cal. If they know 50 or so admits are unhappy and will decline Cal, they will wake up. If we call individually, we will get, "NO," for an answer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

quintessence

New

Post by quintessence » Wed May 23, 2012 5:42 pm

Anyone else know if it's safe to remain on any waitlists? I am interested in staying on for one or two longshots, but if there's any risk of losing my Berkeley offer it obviously wouldn't be worth it.

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Tue May 29, 2012 1:33 pm

quintessence wrote:Anyone else know if it's safe to remain on any waitlists? I am interested in staying on for one or two longshots, but if there's any risk of losing my Berkeley offer it obviously wouldn't be worth it.
Someone from this forum called LSAC and asked this specific question:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=700

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Tue May 29, 2012 2:23 pm

EvelynS wrote:
quintessence wrote:Anyone else know if it's safe to remain on any waitlists? I am interested in staying on for one or two longshots, but if there's any risk of losing my Berkeley offer it obviously wouldn't be worth it.
Someone from this forum called LSAC and asked this specific question:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=700
Relevant:
jim-green wrote:I called LSAC and spoke with a higher-up. They said Cal is allowed to do this becuase they have a June 1 date for the 2nd response form and they do not ask for a $$$ deposit. LSAC cannot do anything about it. They said I should talk to my pre-law advisor. He said I have 4 options.
I wonder if more law schools will adopt this model in the future given the problems adcomms have had this cycle re getting students to commit. This is one way to ensure students truly commit. But I think it's highly problematic. Potentially, at least one student would have been better off declining Berkeley's offer and staying on their first choice school's WL. I was rejected by Berkeley so I am not facing this dilemma. However, I was also accepted off the WL last week at Columbia... Just saying, who knows how WL will shake out this cycle?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”