NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
basilseal

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby basilseal » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:10 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Before I forget and before everyone goes off the grid for the last few hours: GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!!
May you all get your desired Splitter Friends-worthy scores and fill the Class of 2015 with awesome people! :D

Ditto, and GET A GOOD NIGHT'S SLEEP AND EAT A GOOD BREAKFAST! Best thing I did to prepare.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:25 pm

basilseal wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Before I forget and before everyone goes off the grid for the last few hours: GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!!
May you all get your desired Splitter Friends-worthy scores and fill the Class of 2015 with awesome people! :D

Ditto, and GET A GOOD NIGHT'S SLEEP AND EAT A GOOD BREAKFAST! Best thing I did to prepare.

Also, wake up your brain before the test with a logic game and a few LR questions (from a previously-done PT is good because you won't risk freaking out over something you've never seen before), but don't check the answers. Some people take a few pages into the testing facility to read in line and throw them out before entering the room. I personally did mine in the car. Either way works.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:12 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:I know this was being discussed earlier, but do we need a work rec as well as an academic? Or, if not necessary, do you think it's preferred? No one at my current job knows I'm leaving next year and I kind of wanted to keep it under my hat a little longer.

edit for punctuation fail. LOLteacher.

The app seems to suggest it is preferred. They do mention that a coworker is acceptable. It doesn't have to be a supervisor. Do you have anyone at the same level as you that could keep it quiet?

Anyone interested in editing my resume for me? I tried in the admissions forum, but no bites.

Oh, and thanks for all the luck folks!

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:41 pm

basilseal wrote:

Don't drink too much coffee...or water. Or, wear a diaper. Good luck, again!

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 am

About to go dark for LSAT at T-00:01:56.

Can anyone tell me how long this thing usually takes? Not that anyone is probably up. :D

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:57 am

Opie wrote:About to go dark for LSAT at T-00:01:56.

Can anyone tell me how long this thing usually takes? Not that anyone is probably up. :D

six to eight, brah. putting in a day of work.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:30 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:

Ouch. How do they wasted so much time? 5 sections of 35 minutes plus a 30 minute writing sample is 205 minutes, plus 15 minute break is 220. What they hell are they doing with 2-4 more hours?

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:32 am

Opie wrote:

Ouch. How do they wasted so much time? 5 sections of 35 minutes plus a 30 minute writing sample is 205 minutes, plus 15 minute break is 220. What they hell are they doing with 2-4 more hours?

Lol. bad time for a joke. Prepare for 5 at the most, more likely between 4-4.5. And unfortunately there are ways to waste time, just hope your test center isn't one that has all the needless theatrics. (95% of it is starting late, which has too much to do with lsac bs like hoodies and passport photos than I'd care to recollect.)

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:08 pm

Opie wrote:
elibrarian wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
elibrarian wrote:In at Duke today, interview at NU tomorrow! A busy, busy week.

that is incredibly fast

PT. Those ten days are rough.

I'm super excited to get back to Chicago though, NU is one of my top choices.

Are you EDing? You'll get in for sure. You're Median GPA and 75th LSAT.

I had no intention of doing ED but I've now completely changed my mind and will be submitting my ED app as soon as I return home! The interviewer encouraged me to apply ED and said I was only the second person to even know about the new scholarship which is actually encouraging. Fingers crossed! When can I expect to hear back if I submit 10/2? Hopefully by Thanksgiving.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:36 pm

elibrarian wrote:
I had no intention of doing ED but I've now completely changed my mind and will be submitting my ED app as soon as I return home! The interviewer encouraged me to apply ED and said I was only the second person to even know about the new scholarship which is actually encouraging. Fingers crossed! When can I expect to hear back if I submit 10/2? Hopefully by Thanksgiving.

Probably not until December based on past results. The deadline to submit an ED app isn't even until 12/1, so I'm sure they won't be making any decisions before then.

Posters like you and Basilseal are making me feel better about my (likely) decision not to ED Northwestern.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:59 pm

Opie wrote:

Lol. bad time for a joke. Prepare for 5 at the most, more likely between 4-4.5. And unfortunately there are ways to waste time, just hope your test center isn't one that has all the needless theatrics. (95% of it is starting late, which has too much to do with lsac bs like hoodies and passport photos than I'd care to recollect.)

4.5 pretty much on the dot. There were a LOT of people there, but it was a a community college and we had the whole building, so they split us up into rooms of 12. That made everything after check in go really quickly. They didn't care about hoodies, but one idiot didn't have a photo on his ticket at all. She made him stand aside and then broke his heart afterward (the check in table was right outside the room I was in). I think it went well though. Who knows how well, but hopefully I'm looking at a good score.

Regarding ED: The ED apps aren't handled in a rolling manner the way RD are, are they? What I mean is, they collect all of the ED apps and look at them all at once, right?

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:18 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
elibrarian wrote:

Probably not until December based on past results. The deadline to submit an ED app isn't even until 12/1, so I'm sure they won't be making any decisions before then.

Posters like you and Basilseal are making me feel better about my (likely) decision not to ED Northwestern.

Well I feel like a real heel.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:50 pm

It's finally over! :D Now I get to wait. :evil:

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:05 pm

Samara wrote:It's finally over! :D Now I get to wait. :evil:

Thought you were talking about the LSAT for a sec :lol: What'd you think of it?

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Good work guys! Don't forget to take up a hobby between now and score release so you don't go nuts ;-)

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:25 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

I was talking about the LSAT. I think it went okay. Turns out the LR section that I wanted to be experimental is real. Oh well. It seemed like a fairly average test though, so I think I did okay.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:52 pm

Samara wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

I was talking about the LSAT. I think it went okay. Turns out the LR section that I wanted to be experimental is real. Oh well. It seemed like a fairly average test though, so I think I did okay.

I still can't figure out which is exp

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:58 pm

basilseal wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
elibrarian wrote:

Haha no worries man. I don't think it was the right decision for me anyway, and all the information sharing on here is a huge help. I'd consider you more of a Stone Cold Steve Austin, where you can blur the line between heel and hero :)

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:59 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
basilseal wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
elibrarian wrote:

Haha no worries man. I don't think it was the right decision for me anyway, and all the information sharing on here is a huge help. I'd consider you more of a Stone Cold Steve Austin, where you can blur the line between heel and hero :)

Why aren't you EDing Tiago?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:02 am

JamMasterJ wrote:Why aren't you EDing Tiago?

I just don't think I'll get it. If I was Northwestern I'd let the 171/3.85 guy in over me.

I'm also in a financial position to be less concerned about the money, and since my only goal is Biglaw I might as well gun for the best Biglaw placing schools. Northwestern is one of them, but not the best one I can get in to. If I ED anywhere it will be Chicago.

*All previous statements subject to change at a moment's notice, of course...

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:04 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Why aren't you EDing Tiago?

I just don't think I'll get it. If I was Northwestern I'd let the 171/3.85 guy in over me.

I'm also in a financial position to be less concerned about the money, and since my only goal is Biglaw I might as well gun for the best Biglaw placing schools. Northwestern is one of them, but not the best one I can get in to. If I ED anywhere it will be Chicago.

*All previous statements subject to change at a moment's notice, of course...

Gotcha. I'm basing it on the feeling I get when I visit the city soon. If I ED, it will be to one of the two (all depending on how today yesterday went)

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:42 am

Hey guys, sorry haven't read through the whole thread, but is it definitely a better idea to try and do an on campus interview rather than an off campus one? It seems like everyone is doin on campus, and I'm just kind of curious as to why.

tmon

Postby tmon » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:53 am

seanPtheB wrote:Hey guys, sorry haven't read through the whole thread, but is it definitely a better idea to try and do an on campus interview rather than an off campus one? It seems like everyone is doin on campus, and I'm just kind of curious as to why.

Seems like they might slightly prefer them to be on campus, but not in a make-or-break kind of way. The main evidence here is that if you ED, you can't do an off campus interview unless it's with staff I think. Seems like they want you do an on campus unless circumstances really don't allow you to do otherwise. I could be very off, so if anyone disagrees or has more solid information feel free to correct me :)

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:58 am

tmon wrote:
seanPtheB wrote:Hey guys, sorry haven't read through the whole thread, but is it definitely a better idea to try and do an on campus interview rather than an off campus one? It seems like everyone is doin on campus, and I'm just kind of curious as to why.

Seems like they might slightly prefer them to be on campus, but not in a make-or-break kind of way. The main evidence here is that if you ED, you can't do an off campus interview unless it's with staff I think. Seems like they want you do an on campus unless circumstances really don't allow you to do otherwise. I could be very off, so if anyone disagrees or has more solid information feel free to correct me :)

Cool thanks tmon. That sounds like it makes sense. Guess it looks like I'll be makin a trip up to Chicago, and might as well look at UChicago while I'm there.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:59 am

seanPtheB wrote:
tmon wrote:

Cool thanks tmon. That sounds like it makes sense. Guess it looks like I'll be makin a trip up to Chicago, and might as well look at UChicago while I'm there.

For me it's that I'm applying ED and there aren't any staff interviews near me, and I haven't been to the campus and I want to see it. Plus I want to check out bus lines from home to campus too.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”