NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tmon

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby tmon » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:58 am

Johann's taking questions.

Will be doing a "mailbag" Q/A on G+, please send Q's to admissions@law.northwestern.edu with "mailbag" in the subject.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:05 pm

tmon wrote:Johann's taking questions.

Will be doing a "mailbag" Q/A on G+, please send Q's to admissions@law.northwestern.edu with "mailbag" in the subject.

Ohh, yay!

Too bad he won't do "what are my chances" questions! At this point, I think I have had all other questions answered by helpful TLSers.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:57 pm

Could someone post the Q&A here? Can't access Google plus at work...

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:03 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Could someone post the Q&A here? Can't access Google plus at work...

As far as I can tell, nothing's up yet, but I'll check & post as often as I can ^_^

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:46 pm

Ah, he won't be posting it until the end of the week: http://twitter.com/#!/tweetsbyjohann/st ... 8460388352

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:06 pm

So, I hadn't thought of this before, but I'm assuming that an NU interview is a suit and tie affair?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:08 pm

Opie wrote:So, I hadn't thought of this before, but I'm assuming that an NU interview is a suit and tie affair?

Yup. At least, all the TLSers are going to be there in suits. :lol:

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:11 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Opie wrote:So, I hadn't thought of this before, but I'm assuming that an NU interview is a suit and tie affair?

Yup. At least, all the TLSers are going to be there in suits. :lol:

Well, yeah. Obviously some idiot wore a tee shirt and jeans at one point because they mention it on the website. I'm just thinking about how I'm going to get what I need to Chicago for interview time.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:24 pm

Just to reiterate, offsite interviews with staff suffice for ED consideration.

Kring345

Postby Kring345 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:39 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Opie wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Opie wrote:So anyone have any last minute LSAT tips that can get me over the 170 mark? I know they say not to study right before, but I'm feeling desperate. I know what I did wrong, but knowing what you did wrong won't get you into NU! :lol:

Actually, yes it will! :D TBH at this point I'm not sure that learning anything new will help, because we don't have enough time to really drill it in and get comfortable.

What you can do, though, is take a look at what you did wrong and ask yourself this:

1) Why did I get this wrong? What is TCR?
2) Why is the correct answer TCR? What were the writers of the LSAT looking for when they asked this question? Why did my answer fall short?
3) What tricks did the LSAT writers use to make me think my answer was correct? OR, if you made a silly mistake, ask yourself what you think was the 'tricky answer' to that question, and why it was a tricky question. Then ask yourself how to avoid falling for that sort of a trick in the future.

For example, on parallel questions they often 'trick' people by giving them a stimulus that has a flaw (like an incorrect reversal), and an answer that has almost EXACTLY the same phrasing (or subject/topic) but is a good argument. It's tricky because someone who doesn't necessarily think "I'm looking for an argument with an incorrect reversal" will make a mistake and pick the AC that SOUNDS the most similar, instead of the one that's phrased in a totally different way but is indeed an incorrect reversal.

Anyway, IDK if any of that even made sense but I hope it's helpful.

It did make sense! You're a doll, Crumps!

A lot of my issue was time. I took too long on earlier passages on RC and got all of the questions right, but I didn't have time to read the last passage thoroughly. Consequently I got most of those wrong.

I'm really mad at myself on the games. That's my weak spot by a long shot. I was having my best run on the games ever until I hit an unfamiliar type. I read it and was confused, so I skipped it and moved on. I got most of the games right that I had time to read and work through, but once I got back to the one I skipped, I only had enough time ro read and diagram it. I should have attempted it it the first time because it ended up being really easy. I probably could have done it and half of the one I did in its place. .

Maybe since I have so little time I will just take timed tests until Saturday and try to get the timing down.

Does anyone know if you're allowed to time with a mechanical watch? My thought was that I could reset it to 12 after every test and I'd know pretty much how much how long I have left.
Yes, you can have an analog watch. I would recommend setting it to 11:25, so it's counting up to 12:00. Easier to see at a glance than counting towards 12:35. :P

I scratched tick marks into the face of the glass that i used as bench marks for the games. Found it useful.

I also knew that by 11:35 i should have 10 LRs done.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:21 pm

basilseal wrote:Just to reiterate, offsite interviews with staff suffice for ED consideration.

Yeah, but what's the fun in that?

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:32 pm

Opie wrote:
basilseal wrote:Just to reiterate, offsite interviews with staff suffice for ED consideration.

Haha I wish I could come home to Chicago to interview it... just can't afford the airfare right now.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:43 pm

basilseal wrote:
Opie wrote:

Haha I wish I could come home to Chicago to interview it... just can't afford the airfare right now.

Well, I'm spending $15.50 on bus fare and staying with a friend, so it's not really costing me much. Plus, I haven't seen the school at all, so I want to tour it. Also, I want to scout apartments. It will be a very productive trip. Oh, I also want to get drunk.

ETA: Just checked out your profile basilseal, are you applying ED to NU? I'd be shocked if you didn't get it.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:25 pm

NU app wrote:One letter of recommendation is required as part of the admissions process. The letter should be completed by someone who can evaluate your professional work-related performance (current or former supervisor, clients or co-worker).

So, am I reading this right that a NON-academic LOR is required?

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:28 pm

Opie wrote:
NU app wrote:One letter of recommendation is required as part of the admissions process. The letter should be completed by someone who can evaluate your professional work-related performance (current or former supervisor, clients or co-worker).

Nah. http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... recom.html

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:43 pm

tmon wrote:
Opie wrote:

Nah. http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... recom.html

Doesn't that sound like it needs to be non-academic though?

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:45 pm

I don't know where you're getting that from this:

Letters of recommendation helps the Admissions Committee appraise your character, maturity, motivation, and scholarly ability. The most useful recommendations are from those who can offer sound judgments about your qualifications for the study and practice of law.
One letter of recommendation is required for all applicants.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:03 pm

The quote I cited is directly from the application instructions.

wolfpack-avvocato

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:02 am

Okay, so LSAC got my transcripts, and the damage was severe, but being I have been planning for worst case scenario all along, It's not as bad as it could have been. Looks like I'll be dealing with a 2.84 LSAC gpa, like I said before I have great softs and some baller LOR writers. What kind of an LSAT, all things considered, would you guys say I would probably need to get into NU?

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:57 am

wolfpack-avvocato wrote:Okay, so LSAC got my transcripts, and the damage was severe, but being I have been planning for worst case scenario all along, It's not as bad as it could have been. Looks like I'll be dealing with a 2.84 LSAC gpa, like I said before I have great softs and some baller LOR writers. What kind of an LSAT, all things considered, would you guys say I would probably need to get into NU?

Last cycle they admitted two people with 2.8 with a 173 and a 171. One was a URM. There seem to be many at around that level who did and didn't get in. It's hard to tell why some got in and others didn't without a really detailed look. A 2.6 with a 176 was accepted, so I think that would be safe, but I think 173 would probably be safe.

tmon

Postby tmon » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:23 am

Opie wrote:
wolfpack-avvocato wrote:Okay, so LSAC got my transcripts, and the damage was severe, but being I have been planning for worst case scenario all along, It's not as bad as it could have been. Looks like I'll be dealing with a 2.84 LSAC gpa, like I said before I have great softs and some baller LOR writers. What kind of an LSAT, all things considered, would you guys say I would probably need to get into NU?

Last cycle they admitted two people with 2.8 with a 173 and a 171. One was a URM. There seem to be many at around that level who did and didn't get in. It's hard to tell why some got in and others didn't without a really detailed look. A 2.6 with a 176 was accepted, so I think that would be safe, but I think 173 would probably be safe.

Seems like 171+ is a decent chance and below that is very unlikely, but obviously the higher the better. Super splitters are just so hard to predict.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:17 am

So, I think I'm gonna ED. Should I still write a Why NU?

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:21 am

JamMasterJ wrote:So, I think I'm gonna ED. Should I still write a Why NU?

I did. Here's Johann on his google+:

4) Only two optional essays (down from three)
Who are we kidding? Optional essays are not really optional! :) If you can't write a "Why X School" essay, should you really be applying to that school?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:23 am

basilseal wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:So, I think I'm gonna ED. Should I still write a Why NU?

I did. Here's Johann on his google+:

4) Only two optional essays (down from three)
Who are we kidding? Optional essays are not really optional! :) If you can't write a "Why X School" essay, should you really be applying to that school?

Wow, you're ED-ing with those numbers?

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:24 am

Do they accept more than 1 LOR? I can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”