NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:48 pm

Opie wrote:So anyone have any last minute LSAT tips that can get me over the 170 mark? I know they say not to study right before, but I'm feeling desperate. I know what I did wrong, but knowing what you did wrong won't get you into NU! :lol:

Actually, yes it will! :D TBH at this point I'm not sure that learning anything new will help, because we don't have enough time to really drill it in and get comfortable.

What you can do, though, is take a look at what you did wrong and ask yourself this:

1) Why did I get this wrong? What is TCR?
2) Why is the correct answer TCR? What were the writers of the LSAT looking for when they asked this question? Why did my answer fall short?
3) What tricks did the LSAT writers use to make me think my answer was correct? OR, if you made a silly mistake, ask yourself what you think was the 'tricky answer' to that question, and why it was a tricky question. Then ask yourself how to avoid falling for that sort of a trick in the future.

For example, on parallel questions they often 'trick' people by giving them a stimulus that has a flaw (like an incorrect reversal), and an answer that has almost EXACTLY the same phrasing (or subject/topic) but is a good argument. It's tricky because someone who doesn't necessarily think "I'm looking for an argument with an incorrect reversal" will make a mistake and pick the AC that SOUNDS the most similar, instead of the one that's phrased in a totally different way but is indeed an incorrect reversal.

Anyway, IDK if any of that even made sense but I hope it's helpful.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby Opie » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:23 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Opie wrote:So anyone have any last minute LSAT tips that can get me over the 170 mark? I know they say not to study right before, but I'm feeling desperate. I know what I did wrong, but knowing what you did wrong won't get you into NU! :lol:

Actually, yes it will! :D TBH at this point I'm not sure that learning anything new will help, because we don't have enough time to really drill it in and get comfortable.

What you can do, though, is take a look at what you did wrong and ask yourself this:

1) Why did I get this wrong? What is TCR?
2) Why is the correct answer TCR? What were the writers of the LSAT looking for when they asked this question? Why did my answer fall short?
3) What tricks did the LSAT writers use to make me think my answer was correct? OR, if you made a silly mistake, ask yourself what you think was the 'tricky answer' to that question, and why it was a tricky question. Then ask yourself how to avoid falling for that sort of a trick in the future.

For example, on parallel questions they often 'trick' people by giving them a stimulus that has a flaw (like an incorrect reversal), and an answer that has almost EXACTLY the same phrasing (or subject/topic) but is a good argument. It's tricky because someone who doesn't necessarily think "I'm looking for an argument with an incorrect reversal" will make a mistake and pick the AC that SOUNDS the most similar, instead of the one that's phrased in a totally different way but is indeed an incorrect reversal.

Anyway, IDK if any of that even made sense but I hope it's helpful.


It did make sense! You're a doll, Crumps!

A lot of my issue was time. I took too long on earlier passages on RC and got all of the questions right, but I didn't have time to read the last passage thoroughly. Consequently I got most of those wrong.

I'm really mad at myself on the games. That's my weak spot by a long shot. I was having my best run on the games ever until I hit an unfamiliar type. I read it and was confused, so I skipped it and moved on. I got most of the games right that I had time to read and work through, but once I got back to the one I skipped, I only had enough time ro read and diagram it. I should have attempted it it the first time because it ended up being really easy. I probably could have done it and half of the one I did in its place. .

Maybe since I have so little time I will just take timed tests until Saturday and try to get the timing down.

Does anyone know if you're allowed to time with a mechanical watch? My thought was that I could reset it to 12 after every test and I'd know pretty much how much how long I have left.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13913
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:14 am

Opie wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Opie wrote:So anyone have any last minute LSAT tips that can get me over the 170 mark? I know they say not to study right before, but I'm feeling desperate. I know what I did wrong, but knowing what you did wrong won't get you into NU! :lol:

Actually, yes it will! :D TBH at this point I'm not sure that learning anything new will help, because we don't have enough time to really drill it in and get comfortable.

What you can do, though, is take a look at what you did wrong and ask yourself this:

1) Why did I get this wrong? What is TCR?
2) Why is the correct answer TCR? What were the writers of the LSAT looking for when they asked this question? Why did my answer fall short?
3) What tricks did the LSAT writers use to make me think my answer was correct? OR, if you made a silly mistake, ask yourself what you think was the 'tricky answer' to that question, and why it was a tricky question. Then ask yourself how to avoid falling for that sort of a trick in the future.

For example, on parallel questions they often 'trick' people by giving them a stimulus that has a flaw (like an incorrect reversal), and an answer that has almost EXACTLY the same phrasing (or subject/topic) but is a good argument. It's tricky because someone who doesn't necessarily think "I'm looking for an argument with an incorrect reversal" will make a mistake and pick the AC that SOUNDS the most similar, instead of the one that's phrased in a totally different way but is indeed an incorrect reversal.

Anyway, IDK if any of that even made sense but I hope it's helpful.


It did make sense! You're a doll, Crumps!

A lot of my issue was time. I took too long on earlier passages on RC and got all of the questions right, but I didn't have time to read the last passage thoroughly. Consequently I got most of those wrong.

I'm really mad at myself on the games. That's my weak spot by a long shot. I was having my best run on the games ever until I hit an unfamiliar type. I read it and was confused, so I skipped it and moved on. I got most of the games right that I had time to read and work through, but once I got back to the one I skipped, I only had enough time ro read and diagram it. I should have attempted it it the first time because it ended up being really easy. I probably could have done it and half of the one I did in its place. .

Maybe since I have so little time I will just take timed tests until Saturday and try to get the timing down.

Does anyone know if you're allowed to time with a mechanical watch? My thought was that I could reset it to 12 after every test and I'd know pretty much how much how long I have left.
Yes, you can have an analog watch. I would recommend setting it to 11:25, so it's counting up to 12:00. Easier to see at a glance than counting towards 12:35. :P

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby Opie » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:42 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Opie wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Opie wrote:So anyone have any last minute LSAT tips that can get me over the 170 mark? I know they say not to study right before, but I'm feeling desperate. I know what I did wrong, but knowing what you did wrong won't get you into NU! :lol:

Actually, yes it will! :D TBH at this point I'm not sure that learning anything new will help, because we don't have enough time to really drill it in and get comfortable.

What you can do, though, is take a look at what you did wrong and ask yourself this:

1) Why did I get this wrong? What is TCR?
2) Why is the correct answer TCR? What were the writers of the LSAT looking for when they asked this question? Why did my answer fall short?
3) What tricks did the LSAT writers use to make me think my answer was correct? OR, if you made a silly mistake, ask yourself what you think was the 'tricky answer' to that question, and why it was a tricky question. Then ask yourself how to avoid falling for that sort of a trick in the future.

For example, on parallel questions they often 'trick' people by giving them a stimulus that has a flaw (like an incorrect reversal), and an answer that has almost EXACTLY the same phrasing (or subject/topic) but is a good argument. It's tricky because someone who doesn't necessarily think "I'm looking for an argument with an incorrect reversal" will make a mistake and pick the AC that SOUNDS the most similar, instead of the one that's phrased in a totally different way but is indeed an incorrect reversal.

Anyway, IDK if any of that even made sense but I hope it's helpful.


It did make sense! You're a doll, Crumps!

A lot of my issue was time. I took too long on earlier passages on RC and got all of the questions right, but I didn't have time to read the last passage thoroughly. Consequently I got most of those wrong.

I'm really mad at myself on the games. That's my weak spot by a long shot. I was having my best run on the games ever until I hit an unfamiliar type. I read it and was confused, so I skipped it and moved on. I got most of the games right that I had time to read and work through, but once I got back to the one I skipped, I only had enough time ro read and diagram it. I should have attempted it it the first time because it ended up being really easy. I probably could have done it and half of the one I did in its place. .

Maybe since I have so little time I will just take timed tests until Saturday and try to get the timing down.

Does anyone know if you're allowed to time with a mechanical watch? My thought was that I could reset it to 12 after every test and I'd know pretty much how much how long I have left.
Yes, you can have an analog watch. I would recommend setting it to 11:25, so it's counting up to 12:00. Easier to see at a glance than counting towards 12:35. :P


Oohhh... That's a great idea!

I knew I wouldnt be the only person to think if this.

User avatar
tmon
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby tmon » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:40 pm

November interviews are open :)

User avatar
BigBlueLaw
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby BigBlueLaw » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Still no reply from my off-campus interviewer...not cool dude, not cool. :x

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:41 pm

BigBlueLaw wrote:Still no reply from my off-campus interviewer...not cool dude, not cool. :x

Noooooo! ): Have you emailed him to remind him yet?

User avatar
tmon
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby tmon » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:48 pm

BigBlueLaw wrote:Still no reply from my off-campus interviewer...not cool dude, not cool. :x

Don't remember your exact situation but if it's been weeks I'd consider emailing NU. But only if it's been a while. Don't want to seem impatient.

User avatar
citykitty
Posts: 465
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:03 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby citykitty » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:48 pm

Apparently, an admissions officer will be in my region, so off-campus interview scheduled with that person instead of an alum. Hopefully, this is in my favor.

User avatar
BigBlueLaw
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby BigBlueLaw » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:52 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
BigBlueLaw wrote:Still no reply from my off-campus interviewer...not cool dude, not cool. :x

Noooooo! ): Have you emailed him to remind him yet?

Not yet. I decided to wait until this afternoon, but I don't have a good feeling.

tmon wrote:
BigBlueLaw wrote:Still no reply from my off-campus interviewer...not cool dude, not cool. :x

Don't remember your exact situation but if it's been weeks I'd consider emailing NU. But only if it's been a while. Don't want to seem impatient.

It's been 10 days now, but it's the last thing left to submit my app. I don't want to be a pest but the guy needs to respond already.

citykitty wrote:Apparently, an admissions officer will be in my region, so off-campus interview scheduled with that person instead of an alum. Hopefully, this is in my favor.

Did you call admissions to get this?

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2914
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:54 pm

I forgot to post this earier, but if anyone wants to talk through the on-campus interview, let me know! I think mine went pretty darn well. My interviewer was crazy nice, and the students I interacted with while waiting (surprise lack of traffic from Hyde park made me super early) made me want to go to NU even more.

User avatar
basilseal
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby basilseal » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:56 pm

I called the office with questions regarding the ED program, and was told that off-campus interviews with staff members were sufficient for consideration.

User avatar
citykitty
Posts: 465
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:03 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby citykitty » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:03 pm

BigBlueLaw wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
BigBlueLaw wrote:Still no reply from my off-campus interviewer...not cool dude, not cool. :x

Noooooo! ): Have you emailed him to remind him yet?

Not yet. I decided to wait until this afternoon, but I don't have a good feeling.

tmon wrote:
BigBlueLaw wrote:Still no reply from my off-campus interviewer...not cool dude, not cool. :x

Don't remember your exact situation but if it's been weeks I'd consider emailing NU. But only if it's been a while. Don't want to seem impatient.

It's been 10 days now, but it's the last thing left to submit my app. I don't want to be a pest but the guy needs to respond already.

citykitty wrote:Apparently, an admissions officer will be in my region, so off-campus interview scheduled with that person instead of an alum. Hopefully, this is in my favor.

Did you call admissions to get this?



Nope. I used the request thingie on the website and picked the nearest city to me with an alum for an off campus interview, which was like a 3 hour drive. Then I just got an email today saying that an admissions officer would be in my region on a specific date, and if I preferred I could schedule an appt with that person and I was given a direct link to the schedule. The city the admissions person is coming to is actually closer to me, so this has at least one good thing going for it. It's a bit more intimidating though.

User avatar
BigBlueLaw
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby BigBlueLaw » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:16 pm

citykitty wrote:Nope. I used the request thingie on the website and picked the nearest city to me with an alum for an off campus interview, which was like a 3 hour drive. Then I just got an email today saying that an admissions officer would be in my region on a specific date, and if I preferred I could schedule an appt with that person and I was given a direct link to the schedule. The city the admissions person is coming to is actually closer to me, so this has at least one good thing going for it. It's a bit more intimidating though.

I wish I got that email. Ugh, even if I end up meeting with this guy, it's going to be hard not to look pissed off at him for being a douche.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby Samara » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:36 pm

tweetsbyjohann wrote:if you want admissions info, it's best to email the admissions office. NOT every faculty member at the entire school.
I love it when Johann tweets "obvious advice" like this and "don't use the word frickin'." Every time I read one it makes me feel that much more confident about my chances knowing that there are such clueless applicants out there.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby Opie » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:00 pm

Samara wrote:
tweetsbyjohann wrote:if you want admissions info, it's best to email the admissions office. NOT every faculty member at the entire school.
I love it when Johann tweets "obvious advice" like this and "don't use the word frickin'." Every time I read one it makes me feel that much more confident about my chances knowing that there are such clueless applicants out there.


+1

I love the dress code advice on the interview FAQ.

Scheduled my interview last night and bought bus tickets for $15.50 round trip!

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby Opie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:37 pm

What happened to this thread? Did everyone go dark before LSAT?

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:40 pm

Opie wrote:What happened to this thread? Did everyone go dark before LSAT?

:lol: It's possible...TLS in general has been strangely quiet this week.

Come baaack everyone! Here's your amusing (and LSAT related!) Johann tweet of the day --

http://twitter.com/#!/tweetsbyjohann/st ... 9846900737

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby Opie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:47 pm

I've noticed that! I need people to keep me entertained at work!

I love his tweets. Made me realize that a Why NU essay was needed.

profizzle
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:11 am

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby profizzle » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:19 pm

Dear XXX:

Thank you for submitting your application to the JD Program at Northwestern University School of Law.

Please make note of the following number: Applicant ID# XXX. You will need this number to access our online Status Check page, from which you can monitor the progress of your application.

You can begin accessing the Status Check page approximately 48 hours from the date of this e-mail at the following URL:
https://www.law.northwestern.edu/form/a ... _entry.cfm.

---

how do you log on with just this applicant ID#? BC when you follow the URL it asks for a user name and password.

tyia

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby Samara » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:23 pm

Opie wrote:I've noticed that! I need people to keep me entertained at work!

I love his tweets. Made me realize that a Why NU essay was needed.

Are you going to write one on the lulziness of Johann's tweets? :D Because I totally want to.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:38 pm

profizzle wrote:how do you log on with just this applicant ID#? BC when you follow the URL it asks for a user name and password.

tyia

Sorry, I don't know the answer to this since I haven't submitted yet, but rinkrat might!

User avatar
citykitty
Posts: 465
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:03 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby citykitty » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:39 pm

profizzle wrote:Dear XXX:

Thank you for submitting your application to the JD Program at Northwestern University School of Law.

Please make note of the following number: Applicant ID# XXX. You will need this number to access our online Status Check page, from which you can monitor the progress of your application.

You can begin accessing the Status Check page approximately 48 hours from the date of this e-mail at the following URL:
https://www.law.northwestern.edu/form/a ... _entry.cfm.

---

how do you log on with just this applicant ID#? BC when you follow the URL it asks for a user name and password.


tyia


I got a username (same as everywhere) and a random password, which I was immediately prompted to change upon logging in.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby Opie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:40 pm

Samara wrote:
Opie wrote:I've noticed that! I need people to keep me entertained at work!

I love his tweets. Made me realize that a Why NU essay was needed.

Are you going to write one on the lulziness of Johann's tweets? :D Because I totally want to.


I hadn't thought of that! He's my second favorite admissions dean after Asha. She's too dreamy to be second. :oops:

I wonder if that would be an autoding to write about that. I think Johann was a splitter.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13913
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:52 pm

citykitty wrote:
profizzle wrote:Dear XXX:

Thank you for submitting your application to the JD Program at Northwestern University School of Law.

Please make note of the following number: Applicant ID# XXX. You will need this number to access our online Status Check page, from which you can monitor the progress of your application.

You can begin accessing the Status Check page approximately 48 hours from the date of this e-mail at the following URL:
https://www.law.northwestern.edu/form/a ... _entry.cfm.

---

how do you log on with just this applicant ID#? BC when you follow the URL it asks for a user name and password.


tyia


I got a username (same as everywhere) and a random password, which I was immediately prompted to change upon logging in.
This is how I think I remember it working. Except that last year, the username for NU was different from the other schools using that system, which Johann announced would be fixed this year.

Sorry to be so unhelpful!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Houzy, MSNbot Media, smashbash, xnsch and 5 guests