NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crumpetsandtea

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:38 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Just left. I will officially be happy nowhere else. I love it here.

This is exactly how I feel too. NU TAKE US BOTH PLZZZZZZZ

wolfpack-avvocato

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:52 pm

So I have a question for you guys. I really badly want to go to NU, for a variety of reason, including but not limited to their Clinical Programs. I don't know what kind of damage LSAC is going to do to my GPA, but I have a feeling it's going to be significant. So, being the absolute worst case scenario, say LSAC bombs my GPA down to a lowly 2.6, what do you think my LSAT needs to be for me to have a chance? My softs are pretty significant, and I have a pretty great personal statement (not gloating, just all things considered I think it's pretty decent). I have 3-4 years with a national professional pharmacy tech license that paid me enough to get through Undergrad working 30 hours per week, and maintaining a 3.3-3.5ish average the last 2-3 years. I also started up a non-profit in conjunction with the Medical Schools Student Outreach program (which is why I'm interested in the Clinical Programs) that pays for any medication written for a child at the monthly free pediatric clinics. This whole situation is making me absolutely sick to my stomach, I want to go here so bad, and while I know I don't have an answer yet, waiting to see what kind of hell LSAC is going to destroy my gpa with is absolutely nauseating.

BigBlueLaw

Postby BigBlueLaw » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:04 pm

wolfpack-avvocato wrote:waiting to see what kind of hell LSAC is going to destroy my gpa with is absolutely nauseating.

I was in this spot last year so I know how you feel, my GPA took a nosedive. LSN shows a 2.6 with a 176 from last cycle was accepted. Have your app ready as soon as your done taking the LSAT.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:05 pm

wolfpack-avvocato wrote:So I have a question for you guys. I really badly want to go to NU, for a variety of reason, including but not limited to their Clinical Programs. I don't know what kind of damage LSAC is going to do to my GPA, but I have a feeling it's going to be significant. So, being the absolute worst case scenario, say LSAC bombs my GPA down to a lowly 2.6, what do you think my LSAT needs to be for me to have a chance? My softs are pretty significant, and I have a pretty great personal statement (not gloating, just all things considered I think it's pretty decent). I have 3-4 years with a national professional pharmacy tech license that paid me enough to get through Undergrad working 30 hours per week, and maintaining a 3.3-3.5ish average the last 2-3 years. I also started up a non-profit in conjunction with the Medical Schools Student Outreach program (which is why I'm interested in the Clinical Programs) that pays for any medication written for a child at the monthly free pediatric clinics. This whole situation is making me absolutely sick to my stomach, I want to go here so bad, and while I know I don't have an answer yet, waiting to see what kind of hell LSAC is going to destroy my gpa with is absolutely nauseating.

Realistically, I'd say a 173+

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:14 pm

Opie wrote:I feel way behind because I haven't even scheduled an interview yet. I hope I'm not too far behind. How hard is the scheduling?

You guys have too much fun. I want to go here just to be around all of you.
Does anyone have an answer to the above?

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:17 pm

Opie wrote:
Opie wrote:I feel way behind because I haven't even scheduled an interview yet. I hope I'm not too far behind. How hard is the scheduling?

You can go onto their online system and look to see open slots.

BigBlueLaw

Postby BigBlueLaw » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:17 pm

Opie wrote:

Depends where you are and who your interviewer is. I did an off campus interview last year and the guy literally emailed me back 20 minutes after I initially emailed him and we set it up for something like 2 days later. This year I haven't had the same luck.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:20 pm

BigBlueLaw wrote:
Opie wrote:

Depends where you are and who your interviewer is. I did an off campus interview last year and the guy literally emailed me back 20 minutes after I initially emailed him and we set it up for something like 2 days later. This year I haven't had the same luck.

I think I want to interview on campus. I've never been to the school, so I want to see it. Plus I plan to ED and I think on campus gets 15 more days IIRC.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:29 pm

Opie wrote:You guys have too much fun. I want to go here just to be around all of you.

Read the OP! I worked hard on it man give it some love ;) also, it answers your qs. The links to schedule intvs are there, as well as the deadlines. It's very easy.

And wolfpack--id say a 173+ as well. Sub-3s like us need all the help we can get. Your WE should help too <3

wolfpack-avvocato

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:32 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:And wolfpack--id say a 173+ as well. Sub-3s like us need all the help we can get. Your WE should help too <3

Man, got my work cut out for me, keeping my fingers crossed for all of us!! There's some people on these boards I really like and others I really dislike. Seemingly not so shockingly everyone I like is going to/trying to get into NU. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'll get to be classmates with all of you! :mrgreen:

Another Q, with this new decision to change their ED policies, is it still advantageous to apply ED? Or now should I just apply regular? I can come up with a legitimate justification for either, but I don't know which one is correct.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:42 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Opie wrote:You guys have too much fun. I want to go here just to be around all of you.

Read the OP! I worked hard on it man give it some love ;) also, it answers your qs. The links to schedule intvs are there, as well as the deadlines. It's very easy.

And wolfpack--id say a 173+ as well. Sub-3s like us need all the help we can get. Your WE should help too <3

Sorry. That wasn't clear enough. What I mean is how far in advance should I be scheduling this? I'll have to take time off work, make travel plans, child care. Visiting a school takes a lot of prep for me. I'm more wondering about the availability of interview spots.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:44 pm

wolfpack-avvocato wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:And wolfpack--id say a 173+ as well. Sub-3s like us need all the help we can get. Your WE should help too <3

Man, got my work cut out for me, keeping my fingers crossed for all of us!! There's some people on these boards I really like and others I really dislike. Seemingly not so shockingly everyone I like is going to/trying to get into NU. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'll get to be classmates with all of you! :mrgreen:

Another Q, with this new decision to change their ED policies, is it still advantageous to apply ED? Or now should I just apply regular? I can come up with a legitimate justification for either, but I don't know which one is correct.

I think a MINIMUM LSAT would be a 172 to even have a chance, but I would aim for a 173+ as well. You need to at least be at the 75% LSAT.

BigBlueLaw

Postby BigBlueLaw » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:45 pm

wolfpack-avvocato wrote:Another Q, with this new decision to change their ED policies, is it still advantageous to apply ED? Or now should I just apply regular? I can come up with a legitimate justification for either, but I don't know which one is correct.

The way I'm looking at the ED policy (take this as you will): If you don't have the numbers for the 150k scholly, they'll put your app in with the RD. If they see that you applied ED, that alone should give you a boost because they know you were ready to sign and go. I don't want to waste my only shot at ED so I decided not to apply to NU ED because I don't have the numbers for that scholly.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:46 pm

Opie wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

Sorry. That wasn't clear enough. What I mean is how far in advance should I be scheduling this? I'll have to take time off work, make travel plans, child care. Visiting a school takes a lot of prep for me. I'm more wondering about the availability of interview spots.

It seems like they try to have a lot of spots open. That said, I think you can schedule a slot and you don't have to cancel until 24 hours before.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:50 pm

wolfpack-avvocato wrote:

I've been thinking the same as the bolded statements. 8)

Hard to say if there will be any boost to applying ED if you don't qualify for the scholly. NU is far and away my number one choice, so I am applying ED even though I don't have the GPA to get the scholly, but that's largely because the only other school I would even consider applying ED to is Chicago and their new medians are making it loud and clear that they don't want splitters like me. I mean, it can't hurt my chances, right?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:50 pm

Opie wrote:What I mean is how far in advance should I be scheduling this? I'll have to take time off work, make travel plans, child care. Visiting a school takes a lot of prep for me. I'm more wondering about the availability of interview spots.

Unfortunately idk that we could answer your q with anything other than "as early as possible"...we don't really have any knowledge on how quickly spots wll fill up. So, my answer would be "do it asap." Remember that the latest you can interview for ED is Nov 15th! FWIW, I scheduled mine over a month in advance, but I had already found tickets on sale for that weekend so I swooped on it the day they opened slots for that week so the price wouldn't go up. I don't think you need to worry about being a month in advance.

With that said... Do it asap. Just like all other aspects of the app (:

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:07 pm

Samara wrote:
Opie wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

It seems like they try to have a lot of spots open. That said, I think you can schedule a slot and you don't have to cancel until 24 hours before.
IIRC, last year, the interview slots started filling up fast in October/November. After that, every time Johann announced some more openings, they'd get snapped up.
But I didn't interview so I wasn't really paying full attention. Someone could go read through the NU 2011 thread to see how it went down.

tmon

Postby tmon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:15 pm

Thank you, NU thread for reminding me to switch my interview date. It's been sitting in one of my open tabs for like a week now. Hopefully they don't get annoyed by people switching interview days once...or twice :oops:

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:26 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Opie wrote:What I mean is how far in advance should I be scheduling this? I'll have to take time off work, make travel plans, child care. Visiting a school takes a lot of prep for me. I'm more wondering about the availability of interview spots.

Unfortunately idk that we could answer your q with anything other than "as early as possible"...we don't really have any knowledge on how quickly spots wll fill up. So, my answer would be "do it asap." Remember that the latest you can interview for ED is Nov 15th! FWIW, I scheduled mine over a month in advance, but I had already found tickets on sale for that weekend so I swooped on it the day they opened slots for that week so the price wouldn't go up. I don't think you need to worry about being a month in advance.

Awesome. That works for me. I was just hoping it wasn't super hard to get a date or anything. I don't have a real LSAT score yet, so November is probably going to be it, but I would be pretty upset if they were full.

Can you do them before your score comes out? I'm assuming this is a business hours only thing?

tmon

Postby tmon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:30 pm

Opie wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

Awesome. That works for me. I was just hoping it wasn't super hard to get a date or anything. I don't have a real LSAT score yet, so November is probably going to be it, but I would be pretty upset if they were full.

Can you do them before your score comes out? I'm assuming this is a business hours only thing?

dude...you can check the interview times/requirements that crumps mentioned for those answers :P

but yes and yes.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:31 pm

Opie wrote:Awesome. That works for me. I was just hoping it wasn't super hard to get a date or anything. I don't have a real LSAT score yet, so November is probably going to be it, but I would be pretty upset if they were full.

I mean...you can schedule an interview right now for a slot in November, assuming they've opened up November to interview times. It's not like you can't schedule ahead of time. You don't need an LSAT score before you register for the interview, lol. Also it's online, so you can do it at 4 AM if your heart so desires. You don't need to call in or even talk to a real human at all :lol: Just look on the OP or NU website, find the 'schedule an interview' link, sign up for the registration process, pick a time slot. It's really easy. Luckily for us, they've made it simple and straightforward. ^_^

TL;DR - again, read the OP and use the links provided. They answer all the questions you've asked so far. The link on the OP that will help you is here: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... rview.html

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:45 pm

Do we have to call the admissions office to find out where the interviewer will be located? Otherwise it looks like we can just request it on the website and then they tell us the place, within 100 short miles of our location.
Last edited by Tiago Splitter on Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:45 pm

That makes much more sense. I was kind of under the impression that one had to apply first so that they would have your application in hand when you scheduled.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:48 pm

Opie wrote:That makes much more sense. I was kind of under the impression that one had to apply first so that they would have your application in hand when you scheduled.

No, not at all. And make sure to take a look at the OP if you have any questions about other things--the answer might very well be there! (also it's pretty and purple and has graphs and stuff) /shamelesspromotionofownOP

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:52 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Opie wrote:That makes much more sense. I was kind of under the impression that one had to apply first so that they would have your application in hand when you scheduled.

No, not at all. And make sure to take a look at the OP if you have any questions about other things--the answer might very well be there! (also it's pretty and purple and has graphs and stuff) /shamelesspromotionofownOP

Haha! I'm happy to report that I have read the entire OP. It's pretty darn good too. I love the interview questions on there.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”