NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rinkrat19

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:35 pm

Ok, in payment for the 'tars I'm going to make you guys later tonight (west coastie over here so I'm still at work), help me out a little.

I'm tentatively planning on living in Streeterville near campus for 1L year. Which means, of course, an exorbitantly-priced studio probably under 600 square feet. I loathe feeling cramped, so I got the brilliant idea to get a loft bed (basically a bunk bed, without the lower bed, and with a full bed on top instead of a twin) from Ikea and put either a loveseat and coffee table or my desk underneath it, to use some of the precious square footage twice.

At least, I thought it was a brilliant idea until a friend offered her opinion that a bunk bed would likely doom me to eternal celibacy, and I might as well put Super Mario sheets on it. Is she right? (I'm a chick, if that makes any difference.)

The bed in question: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80160867/
There are a couple of Ikea loveseats that I'm pretty sure will fit underneath it.

tmon

Postby tmon » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:45 pm

lol Your friend thinks a dude's going to end up in your apartment and back out after seeing a loft? I mean, assuming it's stable, I doubt you'd have problems. Also, depending on your type, I imagine the mario sheets might have the opposite effect :P

If money is a concern, I highly recommend the Chicago area Craigslist. Probably not so much for the loft, but I got a basically new rolly desk chair that was supposed to be I think >$100 for like 20, a nice, relatively new, and gently used couch+chaise for $125, and a cheap Ikea coffee table for $15 all through Craigslist when I moved to Chicago.

Feeling cramped is awful. If you can make the place feel bigger I say go for it.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:55 pm

tmon wrote:lol Your friend thinks a dude's going to end up in your apartment and back out after seeing a loft?

LOL +1.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:02 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Ok, in payment for the 'tars I'm going to make you guys later tonight (west coastie over here so I'm still at work), help me out a little.

I'm tentatively planning on living in Streeterville near campus for 1L year. Which means, of course, an exorbitantly-priced studio probably under 600 square feet. I loathe feeling cramped, so I got the brilliant idea to get a loft bed (basically a bunk bed, without the lower bed, and with a full bed on top instead of a twin) from Ikea and put either a loveseat and coffee table or my desk underneath it, to use some of the precious square footage twice.

At least, I thought it was a brilliant idea until a friend offered her opinion that a bunk bed would likely doom me to eternal celibacy, and I might as well put Super Mario sheets on it. Is she right? (I'm a chick, if that makes any difference.)

There are a couple of Ikea loveseats that I'm pretty sure will fit underneath it.

I'll just chime in that I live in Lakeview a few miles north of school and don't find the commute or anything inconvenient. In fact, I like the neighborhood feel I get out here and it's not crowded with tourists on the weekend (Michigan Ave on Friday-Sunday is a clusterfuck). I take an express bus to class every day. I hop on right before it gets on Lake Shore and get off at the 2nd stop off lake shore.

tmon

Postby tmon » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:08 pm

Flips88 wrote:I'll just chime in that I live in Lakeview a few miles north of school and don't find the commute or anything inconvenient. In fact, I like the neighborhood feel I get out here and it's not crowded with tourists on the weekend (Michigan Ave on Friday-Sunday is a clusterfuck). I take an express bus to class every day. I hop on right before it gets on Lake Shore and get off at the 2nd stop off lake shore.

Yeah, this is very credited. You'll get significantly more for your money if you move farther away from downtown and save money too. I'm way north of the city and have a really spacious 1br on the lake for well under $1000. Granted, I'm farther than I'd want do be as a NU 1L and I currently have no reason to go downtown, but I'd probably target Lakeview I guess. I wonder if anyone lives out west. Somewhere between Wicker Park and the Loop there have to be some good deals. I guess that's not the best train line for NU access though.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:15 pm

I know a lot of 1L's (including me) live in Wicker Park/Ukraniain Village. Get something on the 66 bus route, and you're golden. I pay half for twice as much space compared to Streeterville apts.

tmon

Postby tmon » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:20 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:I know a lot of 1L's (including me) live in Wicker Park/Ukraniain Village. Get something on the 66 bus route, and you're golden. I pay half for twice as much space compared to Streeterville apts.

Good to know! I almost moved out that way a few months ago...really like Wicker Park. Now I'm imagining myself living in Wicker Park as a NU 1L. Guess I better get back to the LSAT :|

Icculus

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby Icculus » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:22 pm

Bumi wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:IDK, I think I'm pretty fucked with a sub-3.

Sub-3 here, NU class of 2014, non ED. I really really think the concerns in this thread are overblown. I don't think you can conclude by looking at the available data, and by the statements of people like Johann, that your only chance of getting in is ED if you're below a 3.0. I didn't come to that conclusion last year when I was considering an early decision application, mostly by looking at LSN over the years. Northwestern is not UVA.

I think the only way this would really cause problems for you guys is if it significantly increases the volume of qualified applicants to Northwestern, because otherwise there's no reason to make admissions standards stricter. I doubt it will. For one thing, the people who are in the running for scholarships are probably already going to apply anyway, if only for negotiation purposes, and in particular I doubt someone who wasn't planning to apply to Northwestern at all is suddenly going to be fine with an ED contract. For another thing, we all think applications are going to keep declining across the board, so any boost from this would have to counteract the overall expected decline. Maybe it will, but I doubt it.

Lastly, pm me if you're in Chicago for an interview and want to talk to a 1L. Which won't do you much good at this point, given that I don't know my elbow from a hole in the ground yet, but I am pretty happy so far. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

I know I'm a few days late here, but to reiterate this, I was a sub 2.9 splitter and got in RD. I was held and then wait listed, though I think this might be because I didn't get my app in until January (I almost didn't apply at all). I think as long as you don't wait too long to get your apps then a sub 3 but 172+ has a good shot, and you never know about the wait list.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:24 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:I know a lot of 1L's (including me) live in Wicker Park/Ukraniain Village. Get something on the 66 bus route, and you're golden. I pay half for twice as much space compared to Streeterville apts.

I live even a bit further than this, and while it's not ideal, I only spend about 35 minutes on the train (still shorter than my commute to work) and it forces me to stay on campus and actually get my work done. Plust I am saving a ton.

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:08 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
tmon wrote:lol Your friend thinks a dude's going to end up in your apartment and back out after seeing a loft?

LOL +1.

I dated a guy with a loft bed for over a year. It wasn't an issue.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:27 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:If you wanna wait until tonight, I'll make you personalized ones. :P

Is this... is this happening? Can others solicit? Can I be in on the wonderment? Can I be robin? This is unspeakably exciting.
lol yes. I'm just gonna put your screenname in a fancy zooming text across the bottom where the purple stuff is. :)

(gotta make you all like me for if/when we're classmates at NU!)

I'm Batman

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:29 pm

tmon wrote:

Good to know! I almost moved out that way a few months ago...really like Wicker Park. Now I'm imagining myself living in Wicker Park as a NU 1L. Guess I better get back to the LSAT :|

How is the commute from Oak Park?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:35 pm

All righty. Did I miss anyone who wanted one?

Image Image

Image Image

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:35 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:All righty. Did I miss anyone who wanted one?

Image Image

Image Image

moi?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:40 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Ok, in payment for the 'tars I'm going to make you guys later tonight (west coastie over here so I'm still at work), help me out a little.

use said loveseat. I don't see the problem

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:42 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:moi?

Anyone else? Last chance for the night before I have to leave to go play hockey!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:48 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Anyone else? Last chance for the night before I have to leave to go play hockey!

so freakin cool, rink

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:49 pm

Way to pick my favorite color. I suppose Scarlet and me have to be the twins though, due to the same color.

ETA: Also, I keep saying the names the same way the guy from Super Smash Bros (N64 duh) did.

tmon

Postby tmon » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:52 pm

AWwwwww yeah!!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:52 pm

Glad you guys like! :mrgreen:

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:53 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

I so want in on this! I want to be a splitter superhero!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:55 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:If you wanna wait until tonight, I'll make you personalized ones. :P

Is this... is this happening? Can others solicit? Can I be in on the wonderment? Can I be robin? This is unspeakably exciting.
lol yes. I'm just gonna put your screenname in a fancy zooming text across the bottom where the purple stuff is. :)

(gotta make you all like me for if/when we're classmates at NU!)

I'm Batman

You're too late, bro, I called B Wayne already. Sorry <3

tmon

Postby tmon » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:56 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
tmon wrote:

How is the commute from Oak Park?

I think that's on one of the train lines, maybe green? Also close to highway, but parking for NU seems like an awful idea. I'd guess commute is greater than 30 minutes...maybe like 45...

ETA: if nobody's claimed Superman, I'm dibsing so hard.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:57 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:Way to pick my favorite color. I suppose Scarlet and me have to be the twins though, due to the same color.

ETA: Also, I keep saying the names the same way the guy from Super Smash Bros (N64 duh) did.
I tried to pick a color from the superhero that people claimed, if they'd claimed one. I think one of you said Robin and one of you said "Lady Robin". Unless I'm wrong, and then I picked green because your superhero aura seemed green or something. :wink:

I think we're gonna have to let multiple people be each superhero.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:50 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:Way to pick my favorite color. I suppose Scarlet and me have to be the twins though, due to the same color.

I tried to pick a color from the superhero that people claimed, if they'd claimed one. I think one of you said Robin and one of you said "Lady Robin". Unless I'm wrong, and then I picked green because your superhero aura seemed green or something. :wink:

I think we're gonna have to let multiple people be each superhero.

Can't get the image to load as my new 'tar. It's saying the file is the wrong size

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”