NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15482
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:41 pm

rayiner wrote:
dakure wrote:I just called them and they lied to my face for about ten minutes. Basically told me that ED and RD applicants are going to be judged the same way as before and there would be no boost for ED applicants (and told me there never was LOLOLOL). When I mentioned splitters, he quickly changed the subject. So i mentioned them again. And again. And again. Till he said "I don't have an answer for you. They will be judged how they are always judged."


To be honest there historically never has been an ED boost for splitters at NU. I'm class of 2012, and neither people my year nor the couple of years before seemed to get a boost ED. The super splitters that got in largely got in RD off the waitlist in May/June. It looks like for at least class of 2013 NU started taking splitters ED. So getting rid of the ED bump would just bring things back to the status quo.


They've added a full ride for ED admits.

berkeleykel06
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:39 am

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby berkeleykel06 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:44 pm

I don't think splitters need to be completely freaking out over this. If they used splitters to maintain their medians before, they're likely to still use them under the new system. If you think about it, it makes sense. Splitters with particularly low GPAs are not going to be likely to get into any schools better than NW, so if they get admitted chances are they will attend, even if admitted RD. NW doesn't get much of a benefit of admitting these people ED because they would have had high yield anyway.

On the opposite side of the coin, people with both LSAT and GPA at or above median are going to have tons of other good choices. Yield under RD for these people will be low. Switch these people over to ED and suddenly the yield for these candidates jumps. Combine this jump in yield with only a tiny decline in yield for splitters, and suddenly NW keeps the same medians but does so with better yield.
I would expect the number of spots for splitters to remain the about the same.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby soj » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:46 pm

I think what they meant is NU will judge ED applicants the same way as the way it used to decide whether to give $$$$ to RD applicants. So the standards of getting $$$$ are the same. Obviously, NU is not accepting the same kind of students it used to admit and giving them all full scholarships.

berkeleykel06, I totally agree.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:50 pm

bjsesq wrote:Eugenie. Are you in the atrium now?

QFGenie has a new stalker :lol:

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby rayiner » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:47 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
rayiner wrote:
dakure wrote:I just called them and they lied to my face for about ten minutes. Basically told me that ED and RD applicants are going to be judged the same way as before and there would be no boost for ED applicants (and told me there never was LOLOLOL). When I mentioned splitters, he quickly changed the subject. So i mentioned them again. And again. And again. Till he said "I don't have an answer for you. They will be judged how they are always judged."


To be honest there historically never has been an ED boost for splitters at NU. I'm class of 2012, and neither people my year nor the couple of years before seemed to get a boost ED. The super splitters that got in largely got in RD off the waitlist in May/June. It looks like for at least class of 2013 NU started taking splitters ED. So getting rid of the ED bump would just bring things back to the status quo.


They've added a full ride for ED admits.


The point is that ED has historically not been Northwestern's vector for admitting splitters. Historically, ED didn't really mean anything at Northwestern. I think the administration played with using it to admit splitters in 2013/2014, but that's kind of pointless because splitters are all going to accept anyway. So better to take them off the waitlist when the rest of the class is firmed up and you know how many you need. It makes more sense to use it to lock down the full-ride candidates. People tend to be more uncertain of their chances when applying. So if someone has T6 numbers but wants to go for the money and is unsure how much they'll get at Michigan, etc, they can apply ED at NU as the risk-averse option.

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby freestallion » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:55 pm

Do you think 173/3.8 has a good chance of getting this ED scholarship?

Previously, I was really wanting to go to NYU or Columbia, and even give HYS a shot and pray for a miracle. NYU is still my dream school but I think I would probably have to pay sticker for it, right? I am applying for their named schollys but my softs are not THAT spectacular so I don't think I have a very good shot there.

So confused now...

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:58 pm

freestallion wrote:Do you think 173/3.8 has a good chance of getting this ED scholarship?

Previously, I was really wanting to go to NYU or Columbia, and even give HYS a shot and pray for a miracle. NYU is still my dream school but I think I would probably have to pay sticker for it, right? I am applying for their named schollys but my softs are not THAT spectacular so I don't think I have a very good shot there.

So confused now...

I think, considering that this is the first year they've done this, anything we could say would be complete speculation. ): Do you really want to stay in the Chi area?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15482
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:59 pm

freestallion wrote:Do you think 173/3.8 has a good chance of getting this ED scholarship?



Yes definitely if you have work experience.

User avatar
Odd Future Wolf Gang
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby Odd Future Wolf Gang » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:02 pm

Yeah I think 173/3.8 types are the applicants they want to poach. Basically CCN or MVP w/ $$$ credentials.

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby freestallion » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:06 pm

Thanks guys! I don't want to stay in the Chi area but go back to the east coast... and the reason I'm considering it is because I want to do public interest. It would be a huge weight off my shoulders to not have to worry about debt and basically take ANY job I like even if it does not pay much or fit into the LRAP program.

Then again, NYU is so much better for PI and has a good LRAP too, so maybe it would be worth it. I am just really risk averse and hate debt, lol.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:07 pm

freestallion wrote:Thanks guys! I don't want to stay in the Chi area but go back to the east coast... and the reason I'm considering it is because I want to do public interest. It would be a huge weight off my shoulders to not have to worry about debt and basically take ANY job I like even if it does not pay much or fit into the LRAP program.

Then again, NYU is so much better for PI and has a good LRAP too, so maybe it would be worth it. I am just really risk averse and hate debt, lol.

Oooooh yeah, that would be really good for your needs (the 150K I mean). NU has pretty good portability, too.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7167
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:13 pm

ITT all the splitters feel like the guy in Matthew 25:30, and Freestallion is the only one who's enjoying the news.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:17 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:ITT all the splitters feel like the guy in Matthew 25:30, and Freestallion is the only one who's enjoying the news.

Who's that guy in Matthew 25:30? Was he realizing that he was totally fucking screwed because God changed the 10 commandments to favor people less sinful than him?

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby freestallion » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:19 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:ITT all the splitters feel like the guy in Matthew 25:30, and Freestallion is the only one who's enjoying the news.


LOL sorry guys... I'll let you get back to the doom and gloom :lol:

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7167
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:27 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:ITT all the splitters feel like the guy in Matthew 25:30, and Freestallion is the only one who's enjoying the news.

Who's that guy in Matthew 25:30? Was he realizing that he was totally fucking screwed because God changed the 10 commandments to favor people less sinful than him?


Nah it's the last verse of the parable of the talents. "And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Surely this is how NU is making splitters feel.

User avatar
dakure
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby dakure » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:34 pm

I wish they would do something like Duke Priority track where they let you know in 15 days if you ED.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby soj » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:34 pm

Matthew? didn't read lol. I think Job is more like it.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby Samara » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:35 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:ITT all the splitters feel like the guy in Matthew 25:30, and Freestallion is the only one who's enjoying the news.

Who's that guy in Matthew 25:30? Was he realizing that he was totally fucking screwed because God changed the 10 commandments to favor people less sinful than him?


Nah it's the last verse of the parable of the talents. "And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Surely this is how NU is making splitters feel.

Haha, yeah that's pretty much how I feel, where outer darkness = UIUC. #firstworldproblems

Seriously though, this is really stressing me out. NU is the perfect fit for me in every way, so if I don't get in, I'm stuck at a school that is vastly inferior by my personal metrics (not necessarily by standard metrics). UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH
Last edited by Samara on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:36 pm

Samara wrote:Haha, yeah that's pretty much how I feel, where outer darkness = WUSTL. #firstworldproblems

Seriously though, this is really stressing me out. NU is the perfect fit for me in every way, so if I don't get in, I'm stuck at a school that is vastly inferior by my personal metrics (not necessarily by standard metrics). UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH

It's like we're the same person ;_________; I FEEL YOU MAN.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7167
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:39 pm

soj wrote:Matthew? didn't read lol. I think Job is more like it.


Bro, you don't want to do this.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby Samara » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:42 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:Haha, yeah that's pretty much how I feel, where outer darkness = WUSTL. #firstworldproblems

Seriously though, this is really stressing me out. NU is the perfect fit for me in every way, so if I don't get in, I'm stuck at a school that is vastly inferior by my personal metrics (not necessarily by standard metrics). UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH

It's like we're the same person ;_________; I FEEL YOU MAN.

*high five* I mean, the data on LSN indicates that at worst we'd get waitlisted under normal circumstances, so I don't think this spells total doom. And I think I have some good LOCI fodder. Still, seeing how much Chicago boosted their numbers with the Rubensteins makes me super nervous.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:47 pm

Samara wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:Haha, yeah that's pretty much how I feel, where outer darkness = WUSTL. #firstworldproblems

Seriously though, this is really stressing me out. NU is the perfect fit for me in every way, so if I don't get in, I'm stuck at a school that is vastly inferior by my personal metrics (not necessarily by standard metrics). UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH

It's like we're the same person ;_________; I FEEL YOU MAN.

*high five* I mean, the data on LSN indicates that at worst we'd get waitlisted under normal circumstances, so I don't think this spells total doom. And I think I have some good LOCI fodder. Still, seeing how much Chicago boosted their numbers with the Rubensteins makes me super nervous.

IDK, I think I'm pretty fucked with a sub-3. At least you're over that threshold. You better get in and live it up so I can live vicariously through you when I get dinged :lol: And yeah seriously, I'm freaked out about how many people with high stats are going to be flooding NU and making it tougher to get into this year ;_;

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby Samara » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:00 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:Haha, yeah that's pretty much how I feel, where outer darkness = WUSTL. #firstworldproblems

Seriously though, this is really stressing me out. NU is the perfect fit for me in every way, so if I don't get in, I'm stuck at a school that is vastly inferior by my personal metrics (not necessarily by standard metrics). UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH

It's like we're the same person ;_________; I FEEL YOU MAN.

*high five* I mean, the data on LSN indicates that at worst we'd get waitlisted under normal circumstances, so I don't think this spells total doom. And I think I have some good LOCI fodder. Still, seeing how much Chicago boosted their numbers with the Rubensteins makes me super nervous.

IDK, I think I'm pretty fucked with a sub-3. At least you're over that threshold. You better get in and live it up so I can live vicariously through you when I get dinged :lol: And yeah seriously, I'm freaked out about how many people with high stats are going to be flooding NU and making it tougher to get into this year ;_;

:lol: If that's how it ends up, I'll be sure to pour one out for you. Pretty small amount of data of course, but sub 3.0ers only saw a couple of rejections and a similar WL rate, so I still hold good hope for both of us! What's nice is that the WE "requirement" is still going to be a barrier for some people, limiting how flooded they can get.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:25 pm

Samara wrote:
Seriously though, this is really stressing me out. NU is the perfect fit for me in every way, so if I don't get in, I'm stuck at a school that is vastly inferior by my personal metrics (not necessarily by standard metrics). UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH


Exactly this. Samara, get out of my thoughts.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby Samara » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:50 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Samara wrote:
Seriously though, this is really stressing me out. NU is the perfect fit for me in every way, so if I don't get in, I'm stuck at a school that is vastly inferior by my personal metrics (not necessarily by standard metrics). UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH


Exactly this. Samara, get out of my thoughts.

Maybe if we get together as a team, they'll let us all in under the "whole is greater than the sum of its parts" principle. We can be like these guys:

Image

If I had any photoshop skills, I'd change super to splitter. Also, I call Aquaman.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acz26, addie1412, ashrice13, Houzy, JD_Kingfish, jjfyre, LawSchoolTitan, lazarzhr, mm2368, Mr. Bubbles, sspeckk, themouse92, tinafeyclone and 37 guests