NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Tiago Splitter

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:41 pm

rayiner wrote:
dakure wrote:I just called them and they lied to my face for about ten minutes. Basically told me that ED and RD applicants are going to be judged the same way as before and there would be no boost for ED applicants (and told me there never was LOLOLOL). When I mentioned splitters, he quickly changed the subject. So i mentioned them again. And again. And again. Till he said "I don't have an answer for you. They will be judged how they are always judged."

To be honest there historically never has been an ED boost for splitters at NU. I'm class of 2012, and neither people my year nor the couple of years before seemed to get a boost ED. The super splitters that got in largely got in RD off the waitlist in May/June. It looks like for at least class of 2013 NU started taking splitters ED. So getting rid of the ED bump would just bring things back to the status quo.

They've added a full ride for ED admits.

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:44 pm

I don't think splitters need to be completely freaking out over this. If they used splitters to maintain their medians before, they're likely to still use them under the new system. If you think about it, it makes sense. Splitters with particularly low GPAs are not going to be likely to get into any schools better than NW, so if they get admitted chances are they will attend, even if admitted RD. NW doesn't get much of a benefit of admitting these people ED because they would have had high yield anyway.

On the opposite side of the coin, people with both LSAT and GPA at or above median are going to have tons of other good choices. Yield under RD for these people will be low. Switch these people over to ED and suddenly the yield for these candidates jumps. Combine this jump in yield with only a tiny decline in yield for splitters, and suddenly NW keeps the same medians but does so with better yield.
I would expect the number of spots for splitters to remain the about the same.

soj

Postby soj » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:46 pm

I think what they meant is NU will judge ED applicants the same way as the way it used to decide whether to give $$$$ to RD applicants. So the standards of getting $$$$ are the same. Obviously, NU is not accepting the same kind of students it used to admit and giving them all full scholarships.

berkeleykel06, I totally agree.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:50 pm

bjsesq wrote:Eugenie. Are you in the atrium now?

QFGenie has a new stalker :lol:

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:47 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
rayiner wrote:
dakure wrote:I just called them and they lied to my face for about ten minutes. Basically told me that ED and RD applicants are going to be judged the same way as before and there would be no boost for ED applicants (and told me there never was LOLOLOL). When I mentioned splitters, he quickly changed the subject. So i mentioned them again. And again. And again. Till he said "I don't have an answer for you. They will be judged how they are always judged."

To be honest there historically never has been an ED boost for splitters at NU. I'm class of 2012, and neither people my year nor the couple of years before seemed to get a boost ED. The super splitters that got in largely got in RD off the waitlist in May/June. It looks like for at least class of 2013 NU started taking splitters ED. So getting rid of the ED bump would just bring things back to the status quo.

They've added a full ride for ED admits.

The point is that ED has historically not been Northwestern's vector for admitting splitters. Historically, ED didn't really mean anything at Northwestern. I think the administration played with using it to admit splitters in 2013/2014, but that's kind of pointless because splitters are all going to accept anyway. So better to take them off the waitlist when the rest of the class is firmed up and you know how many you need. It makes more sense to use it to lock down the full-ride candidates. People tend to be more uncertain of their chances when applying. So if someone has T6 numbers but wants to go for the money and is unsure how much they'll get at Michigan, etc, they can apply ED at NU as the risk-averse option.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:55 pm

Do you think 173/3.8 has a good chance of getting this ED scholarship?

Previously, I was really wanting to go to NYU or Columbia, and even give HYS a shot and pray for a miracle. NYU is still my dream school but I think I would probably have to pay sticker for it, right? I am applying for their named schollys but my softs are not THAT spectacular so I don't think I have a very good shot there.

So confused now...

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:58 pm

freestallion wrote:Do you think 173/3.8 has a good chance of getting this ED scholarship?

Previously, I was really wanting to go to NYU or Columbia, and even give HYS a shot and pray for a miracle. NYU is still my dream school but I think I would probably have to pay sticker for it, right? I am applying for their named schollys but my softs are not THAT spectacular so I don't think I have a very good shot there.

So confused now...

I think, considering that this is the first year they've done this, anything we could say would be complete speculation. ): Do you really want to stay in the Chi area?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:59 pm

freestallion wrote:Do you think 173/3.8 has a good chance of getting this ED scholarship?

Yes definitely if you have work experience.

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Postby Odd Future Wolf Gang » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:02 pm

Yeah I think 173/3.8 types are the applicants they want to poach. Basically CCN or MVP w/ $$$ credentials.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:06 pm

Thanks guys! I don't want to stay in the Chi area but go back to the east coast... and the reason I'm considering it is because I want to do public interest. It would be a huge weight off my shoulders to not have to worry about debt and basically take ANY job I like even if it does not pay much or fit into the LRAP program.

Then again, NYU is so much better for PI and has a good LRAP too, so maybe it would be worth it. I am just really risk averse and hate debt, lol.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:07 pm

freestallion wrote:Thanks guys! I don't want to stay in the Chi area but go back to the east coast... and the reason I'm considering it is because I want to do public interest. It would be a huge weight off my shoulders to not have to worry about debt and basically take ANY job I like even if it does not pay much or fit into the LRAP program.

Then again, NYU is so much better for PI and has a good LRAP too, so maybe it would be worth it. I am just really risk averse and hate debt, lol.

Oooooh yeah, that would be really good for your needs (the 150K I mean). NU has pretty good portability, too.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:13 pm

ITT all the splitters feel like the guy in Matthew 25:30, and Freestallion is the only one who's enjoying the news.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:17 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:ITT all the splitters feel like the guy in Matthew 25:30, and Freestallion is the only one who's enjoying the news.

Who's that guy in Matthew 25:30? Was he realizing that he was totally fucking screwed because God changed the 10 commandments to favor people less sinful than him?

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:19 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:ITT all the splitters feel like the guy in Matthew 25:30, and Freestallion is the only one who's enjoying the news.

LOL sorry guys... I'll let you get back to the doom and gloom :lol:

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:27 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

Who's that guy in Matthew 25:30? Was he realizing that he was totally fucking screwed because God changed the 10 commandments to favor people less sinful than him?

Nah it's the last verse of the parable of the talents. "And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Surely this is how NU is making splitters feel.

dakure

Postby dakure » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:34 pm

I wish they would do something like Duke Priority track where they let you know in 15 days if you ED.

soj

Postby soj » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:34 pm

Matthew? didn't read lol. I think Job is more like it.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:35 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

Nah it's the last verse of the parable of the talents. "And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Surely this is how NU is making splitters feel.

Haha, yeah that's pretty much how I feel, where outer darkness = UIUC. #firstworldproblems

Seriously though, this is really stressing me out. NU is the perfect fit for me in every way, so if I don't get in, I'm stuck at a school that is vastly inferior by my personal metrics (not necessarily by standard metrics). UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH
Last edited by Samara on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:36 pm

Samara wrote:Haha, yeah that's pretty much how I feel, where outer darkness = WUSTL. #firstworldproblems

Seriously though, this is really stressing me out. NU is the perfect fit for me in every way, so if I don't get in, I'm stuck at a school that is vastly inferior by my personal metrics (not necessarily by standard metrics). UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH

It's like we're the same person ;_________; I FEEL YOU MAN.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:39 pm

soj wrote:Matthew? didn't read lol. I think Job is more like it.

Bro, you don't want to do this.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:42 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:Haha, yeah that's pretty much how I feel, where outer darkness = WUSTL. #firstworldproblems

*high five* I mean, the data on LSN indicates that at worst we'd get waitlisted under normal circumstances, so I don't think this spells total doom. And I think I have some good LOCI fodder. Still, seeing how much Chicago boosted their numbers with the Rubensteins makes me super nervous.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:47 pm

Samara wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

*high five* I mean, the data on LSN indicates that at worst we'd get waitlisted under normal circumstances, so I don't think this spells total doom. And I think I have some good LOCI fodder. Still, seeing how much Chicago boosted their numbers with the Rubensteins makes me super nervous.

IDK, I think I'm pretty fucked with a sub-3. At least you're over that threshold. You better get in and live it up so I can live vicariously through you when I get dinged :lol: And yeah seriously, I'm freaked out about how many people with high stats are going to be flooding NU and making it tougher to get into this year ;_;

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:00 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

IDK, I think I'm pretty fucked with a sub-3. At least you're over that threshold. You better get in and live it up so I can live vicariously through you when I get dinged :lol: And yeah seriously, I'm freaked out about how many people with high stats are going to be flooding NU and making it tougher to get into this year ;_;

:lol: If that's how it ends up, I'll be sure to pour one out for you. Pretty small amount of data of course, but sub 3.0ers only saw a couple of rejections and a similar WL rate, so I still hold good hope for both of us! What's nice is that the WE "requirement" is still going to be a barrier for some people, limiting how flooded they can get.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:25 pm

Samara wrote:

Exactly this. Samara, get out of my thoughts.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:50 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Samara wrote:

Exactly this. Samara, get out of my thoughts.

Maybe if we get together as a team, they'll let us all in under the "whole is greater than the sum of its parts" principle. We can be like these guys:

If I had any photoshop skills, I'd change super to splitter. Also, I call Aquaman.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”