NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crumpetsandtea

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:34 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:There is only one building in my town over 8 stories. I think a swan-dive from that building should do nicely.

THis doesn't quite fit with our doom and gloom attitudes right now, but I think it's adorable that your town only has one building over 8 stories tall :3

If I go out, I at least want to go out spectacularly. Maybe ofter delivering an eloquent speech about the futility of law school applications and my accursed 3.5. And wearing a cape.

And yes, it would be cute in a nice small town, but here it just means I live in strip mall nation. Chicagooooo I want you .....

Oh, darling, you have a 3.5? Think of all you have to live for! This sub-3, on the other hand...well, let me just go get my sword now.

I went to UG in a tiny town and I kinda liked it. Maybe I'll go back there for LS, if they'll take me. They even have a Trader Joe's now! :P

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:44 pm

johann's g+ wrote:Lots of Q's about "criteria". As I stated above, I do not anticipate a change in criteria. We are still looking for applicants with strong academic credentials (LSAT or GPA). We are also still looking for interpersonal skills, work experience, and all our traditional soft factors. In contemplating the new program, we ran a bunch of possible scenarios/projections regarding the applicant pool. Bottom line, we are going into the cycle planning on accepting "splitters" (both forward and reverse) under the ED plan. If you have further questions, I am here to answer them. I need to go pick up my kids from daycare before I scar them and have them incur therapy for years.

dakure

Postby dakure » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:46 pm

Hopefully2012 wrote:
johann's g+ wrote:Lots of Q's about "criteria". As I stated above, I do not anticipate a change in criteria. We are still looking for applicants with strong academic credentials (LSAT or GPA). We are also still looking for interpersonal skills, work experience, and all our traditional soft factors. In contemplating the new program, we ran a bunch of possible scenarios/projections regarding the applicant pool. Bottom line, we are going into the cycle planning on accepting "splitters" (both forward and reverse) under the ED plan. If you have further questions, I am here to answer them. I need to go pick up my kids from daycare before I scar them and have them incur therapy for years.

scooped. same old shit.

Strange

Postby Strange » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:34 pm

Lame.... Timing is even lamer. After I bought my ticket and right before the LSAT. At least when I go next month I get to wear all the winter clothes I never use.

tmon

Postby tmon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:37 pm

Strange wrote:Lame.... Timing is even lamer. After I bought my ticket and right before the LSAT. At least when I go next month I get to wear all the winter clothes I never use.

lolwinter

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:06 pm

tmon wrote:
Strange wrote:Lame.... Timing is even lamer. After I bought my ticket and right before the LSAT. At least when I go next month I get to wear all the winter clothes I never use.

lolwinter

+1 October=/=winter

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:19 pm

Samara wrote:
tmon wrote:

lolwinter

+1 October=/=winter

It dipped down into the low 40s last week, but has warmed up again. I've yet to drop money on the ridiculously expensive Columbia jacket I decided on. I'm half excited for a real winter/half terrified

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:23 pm

I'm excited about buying a Columbia jacket a year from now, not excited about the winter. Thought we'd be under 100 by now in Phoenix, but alas, highs of 104 the rest of the week.

When will we get more updates from Johann (Brohann?) The full-ride ED news officially shut down my productivity at work.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:28 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:I'm excited about buying a Columbia jacket a year from now, not excited about the winter. Thought we'd be under 100 by now in Phoenix, but alas, highs of 104 the rest of the week.

When will we get more updates from Johann (Brohann?) The full-ride ED news officially shut down my productivity at work.

I'm planning on getting this one: --LinkRemoved--

It has an inner layer parka that is detachable, plus an outer shell you can wear on it's own, and some fancy new lining technology where you don't have to wear a bunch of layers. I'm excited.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:32 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:I'm excited about buying a Columbia jacket a year from now, not excited about the winter. Thought we'd be under 100 by now in Phoenix, but alas, highs of 104 the rest of the week.

It has an inner layer parka that is detachable, plus an outer shell you can wear on it's own, and some fancy new lining technology where you don't have to wear a bunch of layers. I'm excited.

I really dig those jackets but maybe I'm just jealous because where I live the low is like 55 degrees for the year.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:37 pm

+1. My interview is this weekend. I will now spend the whole time thinking there's no way they want me anyway.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:42 pm

Flips88 wrote:

You warm-weather kids are cute. :P

Columbia is solid stuff, and a really cool company (Portland represent!). The liner can be worn on its own as well...I have a bazillion (ok, 4) 3-in-1s and I find that the liners end up being some of my favorite jackets. Unfortch, I lost the liner to my favorite Columbia. I was so bummed.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:23 am

Would you take 150K at NU over little to nothing at Uof Chicago?

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:49 am

Had my interview recently; if anyone has any questions PM me and I'm happy to answer!

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:18 am

freestallion wrote:Had my interview recently; if anyone has any questions PM me and I'm happy to answer!

How did it go?

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:23 am

Samara wrote:
freestallion wrote:Had my interview recently; if anyone has any questions PM me and I'm happy to answer!

How did it go?

Pretty well, I think. I prepared for a lot of the questions listed on the OP and it was really helpful :mrgreen:

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:36 am

freestallion wrote:
Samara wrote:

How did it go?

Pretty well, I think. I prepared for a lot of the questions listed on the OP and it was really helpful :mrgreen:

Congrats :-)

I sit and study in the atrium outside the admin office and wonder if you people are walking by. /creepy 1L

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:45 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
freestallion wrote:
Samara wrote:

How did it go?

I sit and study in the atrium outside the admin office and wonder if you people are walking by. /creepy 1L

LOL, mine was actually off campus (but with admissions staff)... but I'm sure you see some other TLSers walking around :lol:

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:45 am

JamMasterJ wrote:

Would you take 150K at NU over little to nothing at Uof Chicago?

I think I'd be crazy not to, but it's not that easy.

Up until the Northwestern announcement I was thinking about an ED to Chicago. When Chicago's medians came out I was sure I'd go the ED route there, but then NW cameout with the big announcement. The problem is that if I go for the NW full ride and don't get it, I'm almost surely not getting Chicago.

BigBlueLaw

Postby BigBlueLaw » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:58 am

Anyone in here reapplying and took the interview already? Any special questions they might ask applicants in this scenario (besides the ones in the OP)?

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:00 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
freestallion wrote:
Samara wrote:

How did it go?

Haha, you probably saw me then. I was the idiot who couldn't figure out that there might actually be rooms that open into the atrium and had to get someone to direct me to the admissions office. And it wasn't even my first time there. :oops: Powers of observation fail.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:35 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:I sit and study in the atrium outside the admin office and wonder if you people are walking by. /creepy 1L

Ummmm I fully expect to hang out with you after my interview. Or before, whichever works better for you :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
freestallion wrote:
Samara wrote:

How did it go?

Please wear something conspicuous on friday :) like a clown hat.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:29 pm

Eugenie. Are you in the atrium now?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:37 pm

dakure wrote:I just called them and they lied to my face for about ten minutes. Basically told me that ED and RD applicants are going to be judged the same way as before and there would be no boost for ED applicants (and told me there never was LOLOLOL). When I mentioned splitters, he quickly changed the subject. So i mentioned them again. And again. And again. Till he said "I don't have an answer for you. They will be judged how they are always judged."

To be honest there historically never has been an ED boost for splitters at NU. I'm class of 2012, and neither people my year nor the couple of years before seemed to get a boost ED. The super splitters that got in largely got in RD off the waitlist in May/June. It looks like for at least class of 2013 NU started taking splitters ED. So getting rid of the ED bump would just bring things back to the status quo.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”