NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rinkrat19

Re: NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:31 pm

I believe you need a social security number to get federal loans.

And I think the only way an international can get private loans is to have a US citizen (or maybe a resident) cosigner.

Are there student loans you can take out in your home country for studying abroad?

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:56 pm

tamarind49 wrote:EDIT: btw, I'm international, in case that matters (for loan/fin. aid eligibility)

You should talk to finaid directly. All I know is I had to prove I was a citizen before they would give me aid, so I'm sure there are hoops you need to jump through.

tamarind49

Postby tamarind49 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:05 pm

Thank you everyone for the feedback! I'll def be contacting Finaid soon! :)

tamarind49

Postby tamarind49 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:19 pm

Now, now... I have another major question. Please help me out!!!

I have to figure out housing, and I'm really confused... so there is no on-campus housing at NU? If so, how did you all figure out housing? Where would you recommend? I want to be as close to the law school as possible. Please give me some tips/advice...etc. Thank you !!

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:23 pm

tamarind49 wrote:Now, now... I have another major question. Please help me out!!!

I have to figure out housing, and I'm really confused... so there is no on-campus housing at NU? If so, how did you all figure out housing? Where would you recommend? I want to be as close to the law school as possible. Please give me some tips/advice...etc. Thank you !!

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/current ... using.html

What are you looking to spend? Do you want a studio or to find a roommate? I think most people just shop around padmapper.com, craigslist.org, or domu.com. I am using Chicago Apartment Finders as well and they have been very helpful.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:26 pm

tamarind49 wrote:Now, now... I have another major question. Please help me out!!!

There is no on-campus housing. The medical and law schools are totally separate from the main NU campus up in Evanston (which does have housing). We're in downtown Chicago, on the lakeshore, near the main hotel/shopping district. The area is called Streeterville, or sometimes Near North. The NU site has a list of local apartment buildings, but be warned that they are A)expensive and B)filling up FAST.

Since you don't know the area at all, you might want to contact StudentSpace to help you find a place. They specialize in helping NU students find apartment nearby campus, and they're free. http://www.student-space.com/

tamarind49

Postby tamarind49 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:49 am

EDIT: found a studio :) thanks everyone for the help!
Last edited by tamarind49 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:22 pm

Last edited by manofjustice on Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:10 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:31 pm

lgleye wrote:Are you serious? They don't give $$$ to peeps off the Held list......we're lucky to get in........and we better respond soon 'cause there's plenty of people behind us just waiting............

There are tons of other schools offering $ off the waitlist. Granted NU has historically not done so, it's not that absurd a question to ask.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:59 pm

I think I am one of many people who got off WL who asked and got shut down for money. To be fair, at every stage from the Hold to WL to acceptance, they clearly mentioned the chances of getting money were slim to none.

tigershark

Postby tigershark » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:19 am

Is anyone looking for a roommate? I will not be attending NU but I am attending another Chicago law school and I am interested in finding an apartment with another law student. I would prefer a female roommate. PM me if you are interested!

tamarind49

Postby tamarind49 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:25 pm

This can be a really stupid question to ask... but I'm not familiar about loans at all, so I'm quite confused.. Anyone please clarify this for me? So I got my preliminary fin. aid (loans) e-mail, and it takes into account room and board, transportation, personal expenses, books, etc... and they added all those up and gave me the total loan amount. How does this work? In what form am I provided with the loan amount, and what does the loan amount cover first? How much do I need to pay the school the first year? ... :? :?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:29 pm

tamarind49 wrote:This can be a really stupid question to ask... but I'm not familiar about loans at all, so I'm quite confused.. Anyone please clarify this for me? So I got my preliminary fin. aid (loans) e-mail, and it takes into account room and board, transportation, personal expenses, books, etc... and they added all those up and gave me the total loan amount. How does this work? In what form am I provided with the loan amount, and what does the loan amount cover first? How much do I need to pay the school the first year? ... :? :?
Once you jump through all the hoops of accepting the loans and signing your promissory notes, the government gives the school half of the money for your first year. The school takes out their chunk (tuition, fees, insurance, etc.) and then you'll get the rest sometime in the first week of classes. I think at some point before then you can set up direct deposit through CAESAR (NU's online system) so it shows up in your checking account. The rest will be what you pay rent/food/utilities/etc. with through fall term. Then you get another big chunk for spring term in January. (The school again will have already taken out its cut before passing the rest along to you.)

Yes, you will have to pay for moving expenses, first month's rent, and possibly things like a new computer and your first books before the loan money comes through.

ETA: also remember that the estimated cost of attendance doesn't include anything for summer. So you either need to build rent/food/etc. for summer into your budget, or plan on getting other funding (SPFIF grant for PI, more loans for a summer practicum class, a paying job, etc.)

tamarind49

Postby tamarind49 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:39 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Once you jump through all the hoops of accepting the loans and signing your promissory notes, the government gives the school half of the money for your first year. The school takes out their chunk (tuition, fees, insurance, etc.) and then you'll get the rest sometime in the first week of classes. I think at some point before then you can set up direct deposit through CAESAR (NU's online system) so it shows up in your checking account. The rest will be what you pay rent/food/utilities/etc. with through fall term. Then you get another big chunk for spring term in January. (The school again will have already taken out its cut before passing the rest along to you.)

Yes, you will have to pay for moving expenses, first month's rent, and possibly things like a new computer and your first books before the loan money comes through.

ETA: also remember that the estimated cost of attendance doesn't include anything for summer. So you either need to build rent/food/etc. for summer into your budget, or plan on getting other funding (SPFIF grant for PI, more loans for a summer practicum class, a paying job, etc.)

Thank you so much for the kind detailed answer! I completely understand now, thanks to you :)

aziazi

Postby aziazi » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:35 am

Does anyone know of any studio apartments for approximately $1000 (the cheaper, the better) close to campus?? Or is any female looking for a roommate? :) I got accepted a few weeks ago and I've only been to chicago once, though I fell in love

freakingggg out ........

Any help would be VERY much appreciated :)

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:43 am

aziazi wrote:Does anyone know of any studio apartments for approximately $1000 (the cheaper, the better) close to campus?? Or is any female looking for a roommate? :) I got accepted a few weeks ago and I've only been to chicago once, though I fell in love

freakingggg out ........

For $1000, you either need to look north in Gold Coast/Lincoln Park (or other surrounding neighborhoods), or get a roommate. There aren't studios for that cheap in Streeterville.

And if you find something, be prepared to commit within a day. The few vacancies out there are getting snapped up within a day or two.

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:48 pm

If you opt out of the student health plan because you already have coverage, will those funds allocated for that be disbursed to you as opposed to being spent by the school on the coverage?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:35 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
aziazi wrote:Does anyone know of any studio apartments for approximately $1000 (the cheaper, the better) close to campus?? Or is any female looking for a roommate? :) I got accepted a few weeks ago and I've only been to chicago once, though I fell in love

freakingggg out ........

For $1000, you either need to look north in Gold Coast/Lincoln Park (or other surrounding neighborhoods), or get a roommate. There aren't studios for that cheap in Streeterville.

And if you find something, be prepared to commit within a day. The few vacancies out there are getting snapped up within a day or two.

Lincoln Park studios are around $750-$850

Dislaw

Postby Dislaw » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:50 am

Any Waitlist movement this late in the game?

aziazi

Postby aziazi » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:55 am

thanks for the feedback!

p.s. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ADD ME TO THE FACEBOOK GROUP. MY REQUEST HAS BEEN PENDING FOR THE PAST 2 WEEKS. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE. thanks.

dsc1943

Postby dsc1943 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:26 pm

Just withdrew, so one more spot is open good luck to everyone!

ys2247

Postby ys2247 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:51 pm

still hoping for a spot...

Dislaw

Postby Dislaw » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:19 pm

Any waitlist movement? Seems like its been all about Transfer applicants lately, according to twitter.

toddly76

Postby toddly76 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:17 pm

I just got an email from Dean Lee saying that they were reviewing applications tomorrow afternoon (August 1) and they asked if I still wanted to be considered or if I was "fully committed" to another law school. Looks like some waitlist movement in a few days.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”