NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zapcaz

Re: NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Postby zapcaz » Tue May 08, 2012 6:25 pm

zor wrote:
Dislaw wrote:
jhw219 wrote:
Dislaw wrote:Status Updated to today's date, but no mention of waitlist. Am I being rejected? :-/

Did you click retrieve decision letter? It doesn't say it in the status, it still says Decision Letter Available within 24 hours but there's a new letter when you retrieve it

Yeah, its the same Hold Letter from before. Dated February 6th.

My status checker also updated to today, and my decision letter is the old hold letter as well. I don't know that that means waitlist--I would assume that an updated letter should be loaded onto the system shortly?

+1 for an update but same old hold letter...

xjykybl

Postby xjykybl » Tue May 08, 2012 7:19 pm

I didn't receive any form of notification about my status update. But upon reading this thread, I logged into my status checker and saw an updated decision letter (put on wait list) dated today (May 8th).

In the decision letter, there is an response link for me to indicate whether I want to stay under consideration or not. The deadline for response is May 31.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Tue May 08, 2012 7:20 pm

cusenation wrote:
splitsplat wrote:
cusenation wrote:WashU just increased my scholarship...i'm assuming that they did this for most people. I"LL STILL GO TO NORTHWESTERN THOUGH! SO ACCEPT ME DAMMIT!

If you don't mind me asking, was it a substantial increase?

Naw it went from 54K to 60K..I'm not sure why because I never initiated any kind of negotiation...Even with the 6K increase..it doesn't make a significant difference, but I'm grateful for it anyways. But as of right now I'm planning on re-applying next fall if I'm rejected from Northwestern

Just got waitlisted via the status checker.

Ah, I see. Thanks for sharing. +1 on the waitlist letter from NU today as well.

initech

Postby initech » Wed May 09, 2012 5:54 am

+1 on the waitlist.

rijed

Postby rijed » Wed May 09, 2012 7:03 am

I also just got waitlisted.

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Wed May 09, 2012 7:35 am

Came here and went to my status checker to find a waitlist letter dated 5/8
Never got an email and will be withdrawing.

zor

Postby zor » Wed May 09, 2012 11:25 am

I didn't see the new letter until this morning and I, too, am waitlisted from hold. I applied in October.

dasneak

Postby dasneak » Wed May 09, 2012 1:48 pm

Went from being on hold to being on a waitlist.

I'm a 3.3/172. A bad first year as a pre-med major dipped my GPA considerably, but I have had a strong upward trend in grades and hold close to a 3.7 in both of my current majors (journalism/polisci). Good LORs, good softs.

For NU: I've written two letters of continued interest (just sent in a 3rd after receiving waitlist notification). Wrote one of their supplemental essays. Had an additional LOR sent in. Flew out to Chicago for a hold interview.

What are my chances of getting off any of these waitlists?

Right now, I am waitlisted at:
-Duke
-Northwestern
-University of Michigan
-UCLA

On reserve at:
-Columbia
-Cornell

I haven't heard a peep from USC since I submitted my application.
Last edited by dasneak on Fri May 11, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed May 09, 2012 1:51 pm

dasneak wrote:Unbelievable. Went from being on hold to being on a waitlist.

I'm a 3.3/172. A bad first year as a pre-med major dipped my GPA considerably, but I have had a strong upward trend in grades and hold close to a 3.7 in both of my current majors (journalism/polisci). Good LORs, good softs.

For NU: I've written two letters of continued interest (just sent in a 3rd after receiving waitlist notification). Wrote one of their supplemental essays. Had an additional LOR sent in. FLEW OUT TO CHICAGO for a hold interview.

What are my chances of getting off any of these damn waitlists?

-Duke
-Northwestern
-University of Michigan
-UCLA

On reserve at:
-Columbia
-Cornell

Do you have WE? NU is tough with your numbers without WE. I'm confident you'll get off at least one waitlist. A couple 1Ls at NU didn't get into any schools until pretty late in the game. What about Penn, UVa or GULC?

dasneak

Postby dasneak » Wed May 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Samara wrote:
dasneak wrote:Unbelievable. Went from being on hold to being on a waitlist.

For NU: I've written two letters of continued interest (just sent in a 3rd after receiving waitlist notification). Wrote one of their supplemental essays. Had an additional LOR sent in. FLEW OUT TO CHICAGO for a hold interview.

What are my chances of getting off any of these damn waitlists?

-Duke
-Northwestern
-University of Michigan
-UCLA

On reserve at:
-Columbia
-Cornell

Do you have WE? NU is tough with your numbers without WE. I'm confident you'll get off at least one waitlist. A couple 1Ls at NU didn't get into any schools until pretty late in the game. What about Penn, UVa or GULC?

What does WE stand for? Sorry, kind of a TLS noob, lol. Rejected at Penn, UVa, AND GULC. $84k scholarship from Wash U, which is what I will take if I don't get in anywhere else, but I'd really like to get into one of these places.
Thought I had a decent shot with NU what with interviewing and all the opportunities they give you for essays, etc., but getting moved to the waitlist from hold is just sad. I had written addendums explaining the low GPA and talked about it in my interview too.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:03 pm

dasneak wrote:What does WE stand for? Sorry, kind of a TLS noob, lol. Rejected at Penn, UVa, AND GULC. $84k scholarship from Wash U, which is what I will take if I don't get in anywhere else, but I'd really like to get into one of these places.
Thought I had a decent shot with NU what with interviewing and all the opportunities they give you for essays, etc., but getting moved to the waitlist from hold is just sad. I had written addendums explaining the low GPA and talked about it in my interview too.

Work experience. I think in general the chances of getting off of any given waitlist are pretty slim. You are on enough waitlists that your odds go up but I would say you will more likely than not be at WUSTL.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed May 09, 2012 2:04 pm

work experience

dasneak

Postby dasneak » Wed May 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Yeah, no WE, I'm in my senior year of college right now. I had some good internships at the senator's office, etc, but that's about it. Anything else I can do other than send in LOR and LOCI like a fiend?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:07 pm

dasneak wrote:Yeah, no WE, I'm in my senior year of college right now. I had some good internships at the senator's office, etc, but that's about it. Anything else I can do other than send in LOR and LOCI like a fiend?

This cycle? No you're pretty much at the mercy of the waitlist. You'd have a better shot at NU if you took a year off to work and reapplied next cycle.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed May 09, 2012 2:07 pm

dasneak wrote:Yeah, no WE, I'm in my senior year of college right now. I had some good internships at the senator's office, etc, but that's about it. Anything else I can do other than send in LOR and LOCI like a fiend?

not really. But there will probably be some movement after our deposit deadline next Monday

dasneak

Postby dasneak » Wed May 09, 2012 2:10 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys. Would you take $84k at Wash U vs. take a year off and apply earlier next year with some work experience to better schools?

Only thing is taking a year off doesn't really appeal to my Indian parents, who are helping me pay for school, lol.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:13 pm

dasneak wrote:Thanks for the advice, guys. Would you take $84k at Wash U vs. take a year off and apply earlier next year with some work experience to better schools?

Only thing is taking a year off doesn't really appeal to my Indian parents, who are helping me pay for school, lol.

I think there's a lot of risk with reapplying in the sense that there is no indication that you would do any better next cycle at any school other than NU. Considering all the other schools waitlisted you there is no reason to think you'd do any better. I'm not sure whether redoing an entire cycle for a shot at 1 school is worth it. Only you can really answer that. I think the answer really depends on how much you'd rather work in the kind of jobs that median at NU can get you than the kind of jobs that median at WUSTL can get you.

dasneak

Postby dasneak » Wed May 09, 2012 2:24 pm

God this process is so damn frustrating. My year as a pre-med really screwed me over, apparently. I wish you could trade in 7 good waitlist offers for 1 admission, lol. Anyway best of luck to the rest of you, hopefully one of these schools decides to cut a girl a break.

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Wed May 09, 2012 2:27 pm

dasneak wrote:God this process is so damn frustrating. My year as a pre-med really screwed me over, apparently. I wish you could trade in 7 good waitlist offers for 1 admission, lol. Anyway best of luck to the rest of you, hopefully one of these schools decides to cut a girl a break.

I hear you! This crap is frustrating! Here's hoping you get off one of those waitlists! Esp when people like me start withdrawing from NU soon!

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed May 09, 2012 2:36 pm

bk1 wrote:
dasneak wrote:Thanks for the advice, guys. Would you take $84k at Wash U vs. take a year off and apply earlier next year with some work experience to better schools?

I think there's a lot of risk with reapplying in the sense that there is no indication that you would do any better next cycle at any school other than NU. Considering all the other schools waitlisted you there is no reason to think you'd do any better. I'm not sure whether redoing an entire cycle for a shot at 1 school is worth it. Only you can really answer that. I think the answer really depends on how much you'd rather work in the kind of jobs that median at NU can get you than the kind of jobs that median at WUSTL can get you.

The bolded hits the nail on the head. You have to figure out what you want to do. If you want biglaw in a big market (Chi/NYC/DC/SF/LA), you'd be better off reapplying. (And I don't know, I feel like a year or two of solid WE could do a lot for your app. Also, did you apply early? Could you improve your LORs or essays? Alternatively, you're a virtual lock for UVa ED next cycle) If you want biglaw in a Midwestern secondary market (StL/KC/Indy/etc.), going to WUSTL now is good. If you want to have a shot at an A3 clerkship, reapply. If you want and have inroads into PI, maybe going to WUSTL now it good.

Dislaw

Postby Dislaw » Wed May 09, 2012 3:11 pm

Waitlisted just now.

Definitely going to ride it out. This is my top choice by far, so I'm going to do anything I can to go...even at sticker.

RopeisaJoke

Postby RopeisaJoke » Wed May 09, 2012 3:13 pm

I was accepted off the WL last week and just withdrew today. They do not seem to be offering any merit aid to WL candidates, but if you don't care, there is at least one more spot opened up. Good luck everybody!

whatismylife

Postby whatismylife » Wed May 09, 2012 5:12 pm

RopeisaJoke wrote:I was accepted off the WL last week and just withdrew today. They do not seem to be offering any merit aid to WL candidates, but if you don't care, there is at least one more spot opened up. Good luck everybody!

Yaaay thank you!

kmh504

Postby kmh504 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:28 pm

And WAITLIST lol

NJPitcher

Postby NJPitcher » Thu May 10, 2012 2:30 pm

RopeisaJoke wrote:I was accepted off the WL last week and just withdrew today. They do not seem to be offering any merit aid to WL candidates, but if you don't care, there is at least one more spot opened up. Good luck everybody!

Yea, there's no money left. Emailed and called, and Jill over in financial aid was very nice, but let me know that it's sticker from here on out. 80k/yr x3 = too much money for a law school education, I'll be withdrawing soon I think.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”