NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Samara

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby Samara » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:38 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Samara wrote:Does anyone know any numbers on GW's program? I've been told that it's more selective (which would be contrary to Johann's statement) but I haven't seen any numbers on how big the selectivity jump is.

Limited data on LSN seems to suggest an above-median GPA :( is required at GW.

I have to believe that if this is true Northwestern will be pulling in people who would have received money from CCN. Given their medians, I'd think 171, 3.8 would be the baseline.

That's what I figure. I second the FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Is Johann being cute then with the meaning of "admission criteria?" As in, "we will continue to use GPA/LSAT as the primary factors, but now you have to be way better" instead of "we are placing more emphasis on softs or something like that."

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:42 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:By the way if this is true it means insta-ED app for me and on the next plane to Chicago to interview.

I would be insta-app too if the criteria really will be the same. It can't possibly be though, so now I don't know what I will do. ED has pretty much lost all meaning to me now, haha. I guess maybe that simplifies things at least.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:53 pm

Wow, this is seriously crazy. I went to NU for UG so I really wanted a different change of pace for law school, but I do <3 the school and have so many friends there. I am seriously considering this now because it's an awesome deal. GAHHHHH. So confusing.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:55 pm

For those of you considering switching: Johann mentions that if you're moving over, off-campus interviews w/an admissions officer would satisfy the interview requirement. Now brb, /self-ing.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:57 pm

Why isn't NW promoting this more heavily? The news is absolutely stunning.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:05 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Why isn't NW promoting this more heavily? The news is absolutely stunning.

Could be that Johann is soft releasing this via Twitter/G+ and we'll see more promotion tomorrow.

dakure

Postby dakure » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:10 pm

I just called them and they lied to my face for about ten minutes. Basically told me that ED and RD applicants are going to be judged the same way as before and there would be no boost for ED applicants (and told me there never was LOLOLOL). When I mentioned splitters, he quickly changed the subject. So i mentioned them again. And again. And again. Till he said "I don't have an answer for you. They will be judged how they are always judged."

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:14 pm

dakure wrote:I just called them and they lied to my face for about ten minutes. Basically told me that ED and RD applicants are going to be judged the same way as before and there would be no boost for ED applicants (and told me there never was LOLOLOL). When I mentioned splitters, he quickly changed the subject. So i mentioned them again. And again. And again. Till he said "I don't have an answer for you. They will be judged how they are always judged."

TBF, you probably talked to that guy at the front desk and he doesn't look like someone who is authorized to say anything beyond "I don't have an answer for you." I doubt we'll get any kind of straightforward answer. It wouldn't make any sense to A) judge ED applicants the same way or B) not give any boost under the old system.

dakure

Postby dakure » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:19 pm

Samara wrote:
dakure wrote:I just called them and they lied to my face for about ten minutes. Basically told me that ED and RD applicants are going to be judged the same way as before and there would be no boost for ED applicants (and told me there never was LOLOLOL). When I mentioned splitters, he quickly changed the subject. So i mentioned them again. And again. And again. Till he said "I don't have an answer for you. They will be judged how they are always judged."

TBF, you probably talked to that guy at the front desk and he doesn't look like someone who is authorized to say anything beyond "I don't have an answer for you." I doubt we'll get any kind of straightforward answer. It wouldn't make any sense to A) judge ED applicants the same way or B) not give any boost under the old system.

Yeah. The best way to do this is to get the phone number from their website of a non front desk staffer. I know you can do this at other schools but I can't figure out how from the NU website.

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:19 pm

...probably shouldn't have applied to NU ED even though it's been my top school and I've taken a full time position for a year after UG for the sole purpose of this school. I thought a had a chance with ED (median LSAT/a slightly higher than 25% GPA). Dreams shattered.

Wish I knew about this earlier. I would have probably made some different decisions... oh well. Such is life I guess.

I feel your pain crumpets.

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:22 pm

This is relevant to your interests.

Oh, I'm late to the party. Carry on.
Last edited by Ginj on Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:23 pm

Tweet about this from Johann in 3...2...1....

@tweetsbyJohann wrote:OK- be nice to my front desk person. Life is too short for this. If you got a question, you know where I am.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:23 pm

dakure wrote:
Samara wrote:

Yeah. The best way to do this is to get the phone number from their website of a non front desk staffer. I know you can do this at other schools but I can't figure out how from the NU website.

Haha, looks like you've been rebuked by Johann on Twitter. :P He says he's taking questions on his G+. Anyone going to ask?

ETA: Scooped again!

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:28 pm

I hope Johann doesn't change his mind re "At this point, I do not anticipate a change in criteria."... either way. I guess there's hope for the possibility of NU admitting us off of Hold and not giving us the scholly. Praying for this and that we'll get a mini-bump off the hold list because of our ED. I don't regret EDing. Cheer up, splitter friends.

tmon

Postby tmon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:35 pm

FML.

ETA:
I wouldn't expect them to say that the criteria is changing. The point is mostly to attract more highly-qualified applicants to ED, right? They don't need to evaluate a better ED pool any different for them to admit more candidates with better numbers.
Last edited by tmon on Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:39 pm

I hope this doesn't suck up the entire financial aid budget and screw the RDers out of any chance of money.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:42 pm

tmon wrote:FML.

ETA:
I wouldn't expect them to say that the criteria is changing. The point is mostly to attract more highly-qualified applicants to ED, right? They don't need to evaluate a better ED pool any different for them to admit more candidates with better numbers.

Exactly.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:43 pm

tmon wrote:FML.

ETA:

Yeah, I assume this is what they mean by "the criteria will remain the same." They will evaluate all applicants the same way, but the admission standards will be different.

dakure

Postby dakure » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:02 pm

He's going to address splitters on G+. And he knows you guys are panicking.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:09 pm

This news could be shattering if my cycle doesn't play out and I want to ED to NU in 2 years...

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:12 pm

dakure wrote:He's going to address splitters on G+. And he knows you guys are panicking.

This needs to happen quickly before I /self.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:13 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
dakure wrote:He's going to address splitters on G+. And he knows you guys are panicking.

My seppuku sword is already all nice and sharpened.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:14 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

My seppuku sword is already all nice and sharpened.

There is only one building in my town over 8 stories. I think a swan-dive from that building should do nicely.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:29 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:There is only one building in my town over 8 stories. I think a swan-dive from that building should do nicely.

THis doesn't quite fit with our doom and gloom attitudes right now, but I think it's adorable that your town only has one building over 8 stories tall :3

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:32 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:There is only one building in my town over 8 stories. I think a swan-dive from that building should do nicely.

THis doesn't quite fit with our doom and gloom attitudes right now, but I think it's adorable that your town only has one building over 8 stories tall :3

If I go out, I at least want to go out spectacularly. Maybe ofter delivering an eloquent speech about the futility of law school applications and my accursed 3.5. And wearing a cape.

And yes, it would be cute in a nice small town, but here it just means I live in strip mall nation. Chicagooooo I want you .....

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”