NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JamMasterJ

Re: NU (NW?) Apps '11-'12 - Congratulations RD Admits! <3

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:08 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:My opinion of Chicago and NU went up by around 5000% after visiting.

yeah, I know what you mean

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:17 pm

That's because NU (and Chicago too I guess) is fucking awesome.

I'm sorry about the incessant NU trolling, I swear I'll do my best not to turn into the TaipeiMort of Northwestern :oops:

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:42 pm

I didn't know what to expect with Chicago and I was a lot nicer than I was thinking it would. More different from sf than I was thinking.

For NU, it wasnt until I visited gwu the following day that I realized how much nicer it was. I still think its a bit too centered on big law than I would have liked, but I can live with that... if they would just admit me.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:42 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:That's because NU (and Chicago too I guess) is fucking awesome.

I'm sorry about the incessant NU trolling, I swear I'll do my best not to turn into the TaipeiMort of Northwestern :oops:

lol, with our powers combined, we can become an even more epic troll for NU than TaipeiMort!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:06 pm

Samara wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:That's because NU (and Chicago too I guess) is fucking awesome.

lol, with our powers combined, we can become an even more epic troll for NU than TaipeiMort!

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:10 pm

Has anyone heard of AJD full rides? Do AJD students get significant scholarships?

Also, can a student get the ED scholarship if they are applying to the AJD? Further, does anyone know if the ED scholarship will continue, next year?

Thanks

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:44 am

got 60K....super shocked.....really busy for work things over the next two weeks but might fly up for ASW now - this totally sways me and Texas is no longer an open and shut case.....who else got money?

also why the splitter love? i was surprised....

toddly76

Postby toddly76 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:13 pm

Held. NU is my top choice too. I suppose its better than the waitlist? Hold interview on Thursday. Anyone know if it will be substantially different than the on campus interview?

3.8/169/6 years out of undergrad, little work exp, leaving a PhD program.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:21 pm

toddly76 wrote:Held. NU is my top choice too. I suppose its better than the waitlist? Hold interview on Thursday. Anyone know if it will be substantially different than the on campus interview?

I didn't think you could even do the hold interview if you did an on-campus interview originally?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:27 pm

Kikero wrote:
toddly76 wrote:Held. NU is my top choice too. I suppose its better than the waitlist? Hold interview on Thursday. Anyone know if it will be substantially different than the on campus interview?

I didn't think you could even do the hold interview if you did an on-campus interview originally?

same here. I never scheduled one because I thought it was unnecessary/impossible.

Other option: toddly read the interview questions in the OP and was wondering whether they were the same as the ones asked in hold interviews.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:31 pm

rereading the hold letter: it looks like "didn't interview on campus before" >> "can interview on campus now." Would it be mistaken reversal to assume that "interviewed on campus before" >/> "can interview on campus now?"

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:37 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:rereading the hold letter: it looks like "didn't interview on campus before" >> "can interview on campus now." Would it be mistaken reversal to assume that "interviewed on campus before" >/> "can interview on campus now?"

You can't interview twice, iirc. They just allow hold candidates to get that interview in if they haven't already (and on campus is the only option since at this late in the app cycle there are no off campus ones).

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:40 pm

bk1 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:rereading the hold letter: it looks like "didn't interview on campus before" >> "can interview on campus now." Would it be mistaken reversal to assume that "interviewed on campus before" >/> "can interview on campus now?"

You can't interview twice, iirc. They just allow hold candidates to get that interview in if they haven't already (and on campus is the only option since at this late in the app cycle there are no off campus ones).

that's what I thought. Gonna try to chat with someone when I visit anyway, if possible.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:07 pm

You can interview off campus and again on campus when held.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:09 pm

emkay625 wrote:got 60K....super shocked.....really busy for work things over the next two weeks but might fly up for AspieFest 2012! now - this totally sways me and Texas is no longer an open and shut case.....who else got money?

also why the splitter love? i was surprised....

Same amount here, emkay. Looks like they're more generous this year.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:12 pm

RE: comments about them being more generous this year (which I agree with completely)...Johann recently posted this to G+. I wonder if TLS had a disproportionate amount of people who took the essays super seriously and worked really hard on them? I know that I personally had a TON of people edit mine and submitted as early as possible, which I think helped me a lot.

Johann's G+ wrote:Essay Responses- This was the downfall for a lot of applicants. When you think of the word "essay" it conjures up an image of a multiple paragraph well-thought response, NOT what was turned in by a good number of you. I could do a very long post on the mistakes that applicants made. There were issues with both scope and substance. There were a few flip responses that made committee members quite angry. If you do not take the process seriously, well.... you know where this is going.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:45 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:RE: comments about them being more generous this year (which I agree with completely)...Johann recently posted this to G+. I wonder if Whose house? KEN'S HOUSE. had a disproportionate amount of people who took the essays super seriously and worked really hard on them? I know that I personally had a TON of people edit mine and submitted as early as possible, which I think helped me a lot.

Johann's G+ wrote:Essay Responses- This was the downfall for a lot of applicants. When you think of the word "essay" it conjures up an image of a multiple paragraph well-thought response, NOT what was turned in by a good number of you. I could do a very long post on the mistakes that applicants made. There were issues with both scope and substance. There were a few flip responses that made committee members quite angry. If you do not take the process seriously, well.... you know where this is going.

This is an interesting thing to say from Johann. I mean, I think especially for the more whimsical essay prompts, a funny but well thought out response doesn't sound like a bad thing and I can't imagine it making them angry. I'm wondering what he means by flip responses- maybe just essays that seemed to have no thought behind them?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:47 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:This is an interesting thing to say from Johann. I mean, I think especially for the more whimsical essay prompts, a funny but well thought out response doesn't sound like a bad thing and I can't imagine it making them angry. I'm wondering what he means by flip responses- maybe just essays that seemed to have no thought behind them?

I assume he is talking about the financial aid essays, which were pretty straightforward. I can see where people, nearing the end of a long cycle, would have been frustrated about having to spend a bunch more time on two more essays for Northwestern financial aid. But I'm glad I did.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:49 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:This is an interesting thing to say from Johann. I mean, I think especially for the more whimsical essay prompts, a funny but well thought out response doesn't sound like a bad thing and I can't imagine it making them angry. I'm wondering what he means by flip responses- maybe just essays that seemed to have no thought behind them?

I assume he is talking about the financial aid essays, which were pretty straightforward. I can see where people, nearing the end of a long cycle, would have been frustrated about having to spend a bunch more time on two more essays for Northwestern financial aid. But I'm glad I did.

RC fail on my part. He was clearly talking about those, not the hold essays. :oops:

And yes- boy am I glad I spent time on those, had them edited by amazing TLSers, etc.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:51 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:RE: comments about them being more generous this year (which I agree with completely)...Johann recently posted this to G+. I wonder if Whose house? KEN'S HOUSE. had a disproportionate amount of people who took the essays super seriously and worked really hard on them? I know that I personally had a TON of people edit mine and submitted as early as possible, which I think helped me a lot.

I only had one person edit mine, but it was someone whose writing and opinions I really trust, who'd helped with my PS. I was definitely not flippant!

I'd be very curious to see some of the short/thoughtless/flippant essays that annoyed Johann & Co. so much.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:57 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I'd be very curious to see some of the short/thoughtless/flippant essays that annoyed Johann & Co. so much.

Me too!! I can't believe anyone would be so thoughtless as to be flippant when tens of thousands of dollars are on the line. :shock: :shock:

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:59 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

I only had one person edit mine, but it was someone whose writing and opinions I really trust, who'd helped with my PS. I was definitely not flippant!

I'd be very curious to see some of the short/thoughtless/flippant essays that annoyed Johann & Co. so much.

Me too, it seems really stupid to be anything other than serious when you're basically asking for help/money.

Maybe the sort of crap some people put on the LSAT writing sample? Or maybe something along the lines of "I got monies at *insertschoolhere* give me cash plz!"

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:00 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I'd be very curious to see some of the short/thoughtless/flippant essays that annoyed Johann & Co. so much.

Me too!! I can't believe anyone would be so thoughtless as to be flippant when tens of thousands of dollars are on the line. :shock: :shock:
I can see some people thinking a scholarship was a hopeless cause, but still had to submit the whole thing to get their loan package, so they crapped out something terrible.

Still totally dumb. NU is all about 'show us you WANT to be here!'

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:03 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

I can see some people thinking a scholarship was a hopeless cause, but still had to submit the whole thing to get their loan package, so they crapped out something terrible.

SERIOUSLY. I expected nothing (lolGPA), but I was surprised by their insane generosity. I feel bad for the people who didn't try on the essays. :|

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:11 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

SERIOUSLY. I expected nothing (lolGPA), but I was surprised by their insane generosity. I feel bad for the people who didn't try on the essays. :|
You are a nicer person than I, because I DON'T! :P

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”