NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
honeynutt

New

Re: NU (NW?) Apps '11-'12 - Congratulations RD Admits! <3

Post by honeynutt » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:56 pm

zor wrote:
honeynutt wrote:
gatorapplicant wrote:do you guys think it is too late to submit the hold essays? i'm hoping to have mine finished by thursday, but i know review of hold candidates started last week
I hope it's not too late because I haven't submitted mine either.
Yeah, me either. I've been working on them for a few weeks and am trying to get everything juuuust right. I have an interview the week after next, so I figured I'd write my second loci based on actually visiting the school, and attach the additional essays to that? I think the original letter said there won't be any decisions until April at the earliest, so I think late March isn't too late to send them additional information.
Yeah I just did my interview this past Thursday, so I'm planning on sending another LOCI along with my essays some time this week. My interviewer said they wouldn't be sending out decisions for those on hold until around late April/early May.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:42 am

gatorapplicant wrote:do you guys think it is too late to submit the hold essays? i'm hoping to have mine finished by thursday, but i know review of hold candidates started last week
No, I've sent one, but I'll probably write another one soon

kmh504

Bronze

Post by kmh504 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:07 am

honeynutt wrote:
zor wrote:
honeynutt wrote:
I hope it's not too late because I haven't submitted mine either.
Yeah, me either. I've been working on them for a few weeks and am trying to get everything juuuust right. I have an interview the week after next, so I figured I'd write my second loci based on actually visiting the school, and attach the additional essays to that? I think the original letter said there won't be any decisions until April at the earliest, so I think late March isn't too late to send them additional information.
Yeah I just did my interview this past Thursday, so I'm planning on sending another LOCI along with my essays some time this week. My interviewer said they wouldn't be sending out decisions for those on hold until around late April/early May.
Do we have any idea how large the hold pool is? Is being "held" even significant. Does anyone feel the hold interview helped their chances? *thoughts running through my head as I consider paying for my flight out for my hold interview next week..* lol

TosaJD

New

Post by TosaJD » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:29 pm

How is everyone interpretting the hold essay prompts? 2/3 seem like frivolous questions, but because the audience is a law school admissions office do you think they are looking for serious answers (i.e. my perfect day would be spent winning an oral argument in front of the Supreme Court)?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:32 pm

TosaJD wrote:How is everyone interpretting the hold essay prompts? 2/3 seem like frivolous questions, but because the audience is a law school admissions office do you think they are looking for serious answers (i.e. my perfect day would be spent winning an oral argument in front of the Supreme Court)?
The essays are to get a feel for your personality. Write something authentic, probably not law-related.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigBlueLaw

Silver

Post by BigBlueLaw » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:36 pm

Samara wrote:
TosaJD wrote:How is everyone interpretting the hold essay prompts? 2/3 seem like frivolous questions, but because the audience is a law school admissions office do you think they are looking for serious answers (i.e. my perfect day would be spent winning an oral argument in front of the Supreme Court)?
The essays are to get a feel for your personality. Write something authentic, probably not law-related.
This is what I did. Just sit and think about what you would want to do and write that. I doubt you would just want to bum around all day, and if that's the case lie.

mmk33

Bronze

Post by mmk33 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:15 pm

For those who are admitted: what is the normal time period between submitting financial aid materials and getting a response?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:16 pm

mmk33 wrote:For those who are admitted: what is the normal time period between submitting financial aid materials and getting a response?
No one has received a financial aid response yet. Last year, the responses came out on March 23.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:17 pm

mmk33 wrote:For those who are admitted: what is the normal time period between submitting financial aid materials and getting a response?
No one except the $150k EDers and forced deferrals have heard back about financial aid.

Unless you're just asking about a "complete" response...I got an email saying all my stuff was in on the Monday after the weekend I submitted the last piece of my fin. aid app.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mmk33

Bronze

Post by mmk33 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:19 pm

Samara wrote:
No one has received a financial aid response yet. Last year, the responses came out on March 23.
Thanks so much! I went complete 2/27/12, and I thought by now I would have it. I appreciate the info, guys.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:19 pm

Upon further review of last year's thread it looks like fin. aid. info started comng out on 3/21, which was a Monday last year. Pretty much everyone had heard within the first 3 days. Hopefully we will start hearing very soon.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:24 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Upon further review of last year's thread it looks like fin. aid. info started comng out on 3/21, which was a Monday last year. Pretty much everyone had heard within the first 3 days. Hopefully we will start hearing very soon.
It's spring break till the end of the week here. Dunno how much, if any, time the adcomm/finaid people take off.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:26 pm

bk187 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Upon further review of last year's thread it looks like fin. aid. info started comng out on 3/21, which was a Monday last year. Pretty much everyone had heard within the first 3 days. Hopefully we will start hearing very soon.
It's spring break till the end of the week here. Dunno how much, if any, time the adcomm/finaid people take off.
I know that Johann and other admissions office people are out for part, if not all, of spring break.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:40 pm

Samara wrote:
bk187 wrote:
I know that Johann and other admissions office people are out for part, if not all, of spring break.
Most of the fin aid people are around. Or at least they were today.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:05 pm

I know when I was trying to schedule a meeting with Susie Spies they said she was off last week, but in this week. So maybe staff take a week off but are here this week? (We all know anecdotal evidence holds true for sweeping statements :-D)

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:46 pm

Flips88 wrote:I know when I was trying to schedule a meeting with Susie Spies they said she was off last week, but in this week. So maybe staff take a week off but are here this week? (We all know anecdotal evidence holds true for sweeping statements :-D)
That seems to be the case. The meeting I tried to schedule was for last week.

honeynutt

New

Post by honeynutt » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:51 pm

Flips88 wrote:I know when I was trying to schedule a meeting with Susie Spies they said she was off last week, but in this week. So maybe staff take a week off but are here this week? (We all know anecdotal evidence holds true for sweeping statements :-D)
They were on spring break last week.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

honeynutt

New

Post by honeynutt » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:55 pm

I hope it's not too late because I haven't submitted mine either.[/quote]

Yeah, me either. I've been working on them for a few weeks and am trying to get everything juuuust right. I have an interview the week after next, so I figured I'd write my second loci based on actually visiting the school, and attach the additional essays to that? I think the original letter said there won't be any decisions until April at the earliest, so I think late March isn't too late to send them additional information.[/quote]

Yeah I just did my interview this past Thursday, so I'm planning on sending another LOCI along with my essays some time this week. My interviewer said they wouldn't be sending out decisions for those on hold until around late April/early May.[/quote]

Do we have any idea how large the hold pool is? Is being "held" even significant. Does anyone feel the hold interview helped their chances? *thoughts running through my head as I consider paying for my flight out for my hold interview next week..* lol[/quote]

No idea how big the pool is or how much interviewing really helps but i would say it definitely shows that you are interested. I'm from Chicago so flying home to see my family and interview seemed worth it once I found a cheap southwest flight.

RopeisaJoke

New

Post by RopeisaJoke » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:12 pm

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'm kind of freaking out right now. Where did you guys get the hold essay prompts? I had no idea there was an essay we could write and didn't see anything in my email about that either. Can someone help?!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:18 pm

RopeisaJoke wrote:I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'm kind of freaking out right now. Where did you guys get the hold essay prompts? I had no idea there was an essay we could write and didn't see anything in my email about that either. Can someone help?!
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 7&t=162897

^ OP of this thread, bro. See: Applying >> 6b. NU Held Students FAQ

zsu

New

Post by zsu » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:05 pm

Panic time:
JD regular decision and some hold admits. yes, you did just read that.
Via Johann's twitter

Annndddd...status just updated to 3/23/2012. Not feeling good about this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KaleidoscopeEyes

New

Post by KaleidoscopeEyes » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:18 pm

So, I have to admit I haven't followed this thread at all and I applied on literally the last day possible here. I'm sure this has been answered many times, but I just got accepted by email. Do scholarship notifications follow the acceptance or typically come with it?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:20 pm

IS TODAY JAMDAY???

I THINK YES.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:21 pm

zsu wrote:Panic time:
JD regular decision and some hold admits. yes, you did just read that.
Via Johann's twitter

Annndddd...status just updated to 3/23/2012. Not feeling good about this.
oh my... :shock:

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:21 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:IS TODAY JAMDAY???

I THINK YES.
Oh man, today could use some good. I want it to be Jamday and jthor day.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”