NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bk1

Re: NU (NW?) Apps '11-'12 - Congratulations RD Admits! <3

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:53 pm

zor wrote:Another hold question: so I'm going to be writing the three optional hold essays (I'm also interviewing soon, eek!). I never did submit a Why Northwestern? though. I feel my first LOCI did address this, and I anticipate my future LOCIs to address it as well. Would it be a good or bad idea to write a Why Northwestern? at this point, given that a) it's not explicitly mentioned as recommended on the Hold FAQ site; b) my LOCIs have and will address it; but c) I never did one, and am not sure that they are taking me seriously because of that oversight.

I think you're fine without it. You've basically already written one in a LOCI. Writing 3 hold essays demonstrates your desire to attend. And you'll likely have a chance to answer that exact question during your interview (on top of the fact that interviewing further demonstrates your interest).

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:27 pm

xjykybl wrote:Apologies if this has been asked a million times.

I just logged into my NU status checker, and saw the status is changed to "Decision Letter Available within 24 hrs"
The header is "The Admissions Committee has completed its review of your application. To view your decision letter please log-in to our decision letter retrieval system. **NOTE**: Your decision letter will not be sent to you via post."

But I received nothing in email about the decision letter retrieval system.
Is there anyone in the situation?

Just got this update this morning with a 3/16 date but I'm really struggling to figure out how to read said letter. Anyone know if "within 24 hours" means check back tomorrow or should it be up relatively quickly?

I wish they'd just send me an email that says "sweet you're in" or "your shit sucked" instead of making this process into an LSAT problem.

RomaRomaRoma

Postby RomaRomaRoma » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:31 pm

It should be up relatively soon - mine took under an hour.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:31 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:
xjykybl wrote:Apologies if this has been asked a million times.

I just logged into my NU status checker, and saw the status is changed to "Decision Letter Available within 24 hrs"
The header is "The Admissions Committee has completed its review of your application. To view your decision letter please log-in to our decision letter retrieval system. **NOTE**: Your decision letter will not be sent to you via post."

But I received nothing in email about the decision letter retrieval system.
Is there anyone in the situation?

Just got this update this morning with a 3/16 date but I'm really struggling to figure out how to read said letter. Anyone know if "within 24 hours" means check back tomorrow or should it be up relatively quickly?

I wish they'd just send me an email that says "sweet you're in" or "your shit sucked" instead of making this process into an LSAT problem.

It generally takes quite a bit less than 24 hours. Go watch a movie or something and check back when it's done.

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:34 pm

Kikero wrote:It generally takes quite a bit less than 24 hours. Go watch a movie or something and check back when it's done.

Thanks, the PDF was uploaded within an hour or so. Probably would have been easier had I just waited for the email letting me know it was done, but I'm much too neurotic for that sort of thing.

Deferred acceptance :? but $150k if I decide to wait. :shock:

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:41 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:
Kikero wrote:It generally takes quite a bit less than 24 hours. Go watch a movie or something and check back when it's done.

Thanks, the PDF was uploaded within an hour or so. Probably would have been easier had I just waited for the email letting me know it was done, but I'm much too neurotic for that sort of thing.

Would take that in a heart beat.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:42 pm

Flips88 wrote:
StrictlyBusiness wrote:

No shit. I waited a year for my own reasons...didn't get no $150k out of the deal. :?

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:00 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:

Same offer I got last year. At the time I didn't really want to hold off for a year, but now I'm very glad that I did.

Congratulations, whatever you decide to do.

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:05 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Would take that in a heart beat.

The year off isn't what I'd prefer, but I understand their reasoning and it was somewhat expected. The money is very convincing though. Just gonna depend how much $$$ I see elsewhere.

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:08 pm

On hold...

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:08 pm

What are your other options, SB?

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:15 pm

basilseal wrote:What are your other options, SB?

Right now it's just NYU and Chicago. No idea what money I'll get from either, if any.

I applied in February to almost everywhere so I'm way behind in the cycle.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:31 pm

Flips88 wrote:
StrictlyBusiness wrote:

+1

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:46 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:
basilseal wrote:What are your other options, SB?

Right now it's just NYU and Chicago. No idea what money I'll get from either, if any.

I applied in February to almost everywhere so I'm way behind in the cycle.

Alternatively with your numbers you could reapply early next year and maybe have a decent shot at Harvard and Stanford.

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:11 pm

Flips88 wrote:Alternatively with your numbers you could reapply early next year and maybe have a decent shot at Harvard and Stanford.

Meh, no real interest in Stanford (didn't apply there or Yale). I'm looking forward to riding the Harvard waitlist as far as it will take me this year, but if they don't want me this year I'm not convinced that will be significantly different next year.

The NU offer is the first real consideration I've given to taking a year off. If I'm going to wait, I'd just like to have a guaranteed benefit like $150k assuring me it's the right move.

teacher10456

Postby teacher10456 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:24 pm

Hi everyone,

I haven't been following the thread closely for a while, but I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about when people generally hear about financial aid? Thanks!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:28 pm

teacher10456 wrote:Hi everyone,

I haven't been following the thread closely for a while, but I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about when people generally hear about financial aid? Thanks!

Last year the first people heard on March 23rd.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:29 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Alternatively with your numbers you could reapply early next year and maybe have a decent shot at Harvard and Stanford.

Meh, no real interest in Stanford (didn't apply there or Yale). I'm looking forward to riding the Harvard waitlist as far as it will take me this year, but if they don't want me this year I'm not convinced that will be significantly different next year.

The NU offer is the first real consideration I've given to taking a year off. If I'm going to wait, I'd just like to have a guaranteed benefit like $150k assuring me it's the right move.

Do you know where you might like to end up? If you're very interested in Chicago, waiting and taking the $ might not be a bad choice.

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:32 pm

BigBlueLaw wrote:
mottainai wrote:Any other ED holds out there still waiting?

Johann's g+ account said that all holds (ED and regular) are basically in the same pile. He said the only difference between both is if there are two equal candidates the EDer gets in over the regular.

Thanks for this. I had no idea. Now I guess I can start on one of those optional "on hold" essays.

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:25 am

basilseal wrote:Do you know where you might like to end up? If you're very interested in Chicago, waiting and taking the $ might not be a bad choice.

No idea really, though in the long run I'd prefer to be South. Chicago and NY are very appealing to me now, just not sure if I wanna be in either into my 30s.

Location isn't a huge determining factor for me at the moments because I'm pretty open to anything, but Chicago is definitely a top option. Northwestern's location within Chicago is definitely a plus too.

zsu

Postby zsu » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:30 am

StrictlyBusiness wrote:
basilseal wrote:Do you know where you might like to end up? If you're very interested in Chicago, waiting and taking the $ might not be a bad choice.

No idea really, though in the long run I'd prefer to be South. Chicago and NY are very appealing to me now, just not sure if I wanna be in either into my 30s.

Location isn't a huge determining factor for me at the moments because I'm pretty open to anything, but Chicago is definitely a top option. Northwestern's location within Chicago is definitely a plus too.

SB, congrats on the acceptance/money! Quick question, did you do an on-campus interview? Sorry if you've answered this before

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:38 am

zsu wrote:
SB, congrats on the acceptance/money! Quick question, did you do an on-campus interview? Sorry if you've answered this before

Thanks! And no, didn't do any type of interview or additional essay.

gatorapplicant

Postby gatorapplicant » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:18 pm

do you guys think it is too late to submit the hold essays? i'm hoping to have mine finished by thursday, but i know review of hold candidates started last week

honeynutt

Postby honeynutt » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:20 pm

gatorapplicant wrote:do you guys think it is too late to submit the hold essays? i'm hoping to have mine finished by thursday, but i know review of hold candidates started last week

I hope it's not too late because I haven't submitted mine either.

zor

Postby zor » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:32 pm

honeynutt wrote:
gatorapplicant wrote:do you guys think it is too late to submit the hold essays? i'm hoping to have mine finished by thursday, but i know review of hold candidates started last week

I hope it's not too late because I haven't submitted mine either.

Yeah, me either. I've been working on them for a few weeks and am trying to get everything juuuust right. I have an interview the week after next, so I figured I'd write my second loci based on actually visiting the school, and attach the additional essays to that? I think the original letter said there won't be any decisions until April at the earliest, so I think late March isn't too late to send them additional information.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”