NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JamMasterJ

Re: NU (NW?) Apps '11-'12 - Congratulations RD Admits! <3

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:42 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
kmh504 wrote:To the held applicants that have a done a "hold interview" this month - did it seem worth your time (and money) to travel. From what has been posted, it seems as if interviewers are just asking everyone to verbalize their resumes...and with so many hold applicants, I wonder just how much our interview performance will play a roll in coming off the list or not. I'll more likely than not go through my my interview since I'm an NU alumna and have taken classes by some law faculty as an undergrad, so I figure that would be something worthy of discussion with the interviewer...

I'm guessing it's less about the content of the interview than the fact that people show enough interest to spend the time/money to go to Chicago
Yep.
NU seems very big on the "if you don't make the effort, why should we?" theory. See: Johann's tweets about optional essays not really being optional.

this reminds me. I need to write the second (and third) essay.

Maybe I'll break it up into little parts and send it as tweets and G+ posts. I'll make the conclusion into a flyover banner and hire a plane to go past his office with it

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:45 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
kmh504 wrote:To the held applicants that have a done a "hold interview" this month - did it seem worth your time (and money) to travel. From what has been posted, it seems as if interviewers are just asking everyone to verbalize their resumes...and with so many hold applicants, I wonder just how much our interview performance will play a roll in coming off the list or not. I'll more likely than not go through my my interview since I'm an NU alumna and have taken classes by some law faculty as an undergrad, so I figure that would be something worthy of discussion with the interviewer...

I'm guessing it's less about the content of the interview than the fact that people show enough interest to spend the time/money to go to Chicago
Yep.
NU seems very big on the "if you don't make the effort, why should we?" theory. See: Johann's tweets about optional essays not really being optional.

Maybe I'll break it up into little parts and send it as tweets and G+ posts. I'll make the conclusion into a flyover banner and hire a plane to go past his office with it
Optional essay as social media performance art. Could work. :lol:

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:51 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Optional essay as social media performance art. Could work. :lol:

damn,
already did that one

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:53 pm

Yeah...I am seriously considering taking the train to Chicago next week.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:54 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:Yeah...I am seriously considering taking the train to Chicago next week.

WUSTL ASW Redux? :mrgreen:

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:55 pm

Samara wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:Yeah...I am seriously considering taking the train to Chicago next week.

Only if I don't need a drug provider this time...

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:56 pm

Would you honestly consider NU at sticker over 67.5K at Michigan? o_O I mean, I love NU, but the chances of getting $$ after getting in off the WL seem to be prettttttttttyyy slim, particularly because of NU's reputation for being relatively stingy with smaller aid packages.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:01 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
Samara wrote:

Only if I don't need a drug provider this time...

I'm in.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:03 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

Would you honestly consider NU at sticker over 67.5K at Michigan? o_O I mean, I love NU, but the chances of getting $$ after getting in off the WL seem to be prettttttttttyyy slim, particularly because of NU's reputation for being relatively stingy with smaller aid packages.

Well...honestly I think at this point, I just want to do all that I can to see where I get in...I fail at rejection.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:16 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

Well...honestly I think at this point, I just want to do all that I can to see where I get in...I fail at rejection.

I understand the feeling 100%, but if you already pretty much know where you're going, and you know that you won't be attending NU regardless of whether you've gotten off the hold list or not, it might be worth considering withdrawing to raise the chances of others on hold (coughjamcough), even if it is by a miniscule %age. ^_^

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:18 pm

Yeah....that's fair, except I truthfully don't know where I want to go, so yeah...

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:43 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:NU seems very big on the "if you don't make the effort, why should we?" theory. See: Johann's tweets about optional essays not really being optional.

And then there was Tiago.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:45 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:NU seems very big on the "if you don't make the effort, why should we?" theory. See: Johann's tweets about optional essays not really being optional.

And me. No interview, no optional essays, unspectacular WE. Turns out that I really DO want to go there liek woah, but I didn't realize that until after they'd admitted me for some unknown reason. (THANK YOU, JOHANN!)

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:08 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

And me. No interview, no optional essays, unspectacular WE. Turns out that I really DO want to go there liek woah, but I didn't realize that until after they'd admitted me for some unknown reason. (THANK YOU, JOHANN!)

Haha maybe if you're old like us those requirements get loosened a little.

gatorapplicant

Postby gatorapplicant » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:08 pm

definitely worth my time in that i realized how badly i want to go to northwestern, and i don't think the interview hurt me in any way. it was a lot of money to spend to discuss my resume. overall though i'd recommend it.

ricsllscir

Postby ricsllscir » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:52 pm

Just sifted through the last 15 pages or so for the answer to this question and then got lazy...who are you all addressing your LOCI's to?

Thanks!

BigBlueLaw

Postby BigBlueLaw » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:56 pm

ricsllscir wrote:Just sifted through the last 15 pages or so for the answer to this question and then got lazy...who are you all addressing your LOCI's to?

Thanks!

Dean Lee.

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:58 pm

Any other ED holds out there still waiting?

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:00 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Yep.

I want to be in whatever thread you post your first acceptance in.

BigBlueLaw

Postby BigBlueLaw » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:04 pm

mottainai wrote:Any other ED holds out there still waiting?

Johann's g+ account said that all holds (ED and regular) are basically in the same pile. He said the only difference between both is if there are two equal candidates the EDer gets in over the regular.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:19 pm

New G+ post, but I can't see it even though I'm in his circles. I guess I'm not in the right one. :( Can someone PM me the info?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:24 pm

Samara wrote:New G+ post, but I can't see it even though I'm in his circles. I guess I'm not in the right one. :( Can someone PM me the info?

PM'ed :D

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:41 pm

Perdevise wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:this reminds me. I need to write the second (and third) essay.

I want to be in whatever thread you post your first acceptance in.

This one, obv

initech

Postby initech » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:35 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:New G+ post, but I can't see it even though I'm in his circles. I guess I'm not in the right one. :( Can someone PM me the info?

PM'ed :D

Would you mind sending it my way as well Crumpets?

zor

Postby zor » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:39 pm

Another hold question: so I'm going to be writing the three optional hold essays (I'm also interviewing soon, eek!). I never did submit a Why Northwestern? though. I feel my first LOCI did address this, and I anticipate my future LOCIs to address it as well. Would it be a good or bad idea to write a Why Northwestern? at this point, given that a) it's not explicitly mentioned as recommended on the Hold FAQ site; b) my LOCIs have and will address it; but c) I never did one, and am not sure that they are taking me seriously because of that oversight.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”