NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
readeatsleep

Re: NU (NW?) Apps '11-'12 - Congratulations RD Admits! <3

Postby readeatsleep » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:22 pm

hey everyone, i was accepted to the Ph.D-JD program! turns out Ph.D-JD decisions are sent via regular mail, so all those waiting to hear, check the mailbox! (the real, physical mailbox).

good luck to everyone, and see those of you attending NU in the fall!

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:59 pm

readeatsleep wrote:hey everyone, i was accepted to the Ph.D-JD program! turns out Ph.D-JD decisions are sent via regular mail, so all those waiting to hear, check the mailbox! (the real, physical mailbox).

Congrats!

mss455

Postby mss455 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:24 pm

Did you hear back from the Ph.D. program separately?

mss455

Postby mss455 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:24 pm

Samara wrote:
readeatsleep wrote:hey everyone, i was accepted to the Ph.D-JD program! turns out Ph.D-JD decisions are sent via regular mail, so all those waiting to hear, check the mailbox! (the real, physical mailbox).

Congrats!

readeatsleep

Postby readeatsleep » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:59 pm

mss455 wrote:
Samara wrote:

Congrats!

I am already a Ph.D student in political science, so i haven't hear anything from TGS. I imagine one would hear separately, though.

ethelcakes

Postby ethelcakes » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:18 pm

Could a hold candidate let me know what the instructions are for the extra essays suggested in the FAQ section of the hold letter? thanks!

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:23 pm

ethelcakes wrote:Could a hold candidate let me know what the instructions are for the extra essays suggested in the FAQ section of the hold letter? thanks!

FAQ for Students on Hold

The Law School Admissions Office would like to provide you with the following information in an effort to answer questions that you may have regarding the admissions process from this point forward. We understand the time and effort that you have invested in your application and hope this information will be helpful to you. We sincerely appreciate your patience and continued interest in our Law School and unique learning community.

What does it mean to be placed on "hold"?
The Admissions Committee has completed a review of your application. While we are impressed with your accomplishments and the merits of your application, we are unable to provide an offer of admission at this time. Those on "hold" are still under consideration for seats in the entering class and may be re-evaluated at any time.

Are there spaces available and what are my chances for admission?
We do anticipate admitting some candidates from hold. The applicant pool varies each year, and therefore we cannot predict exactly how many candidates will be placed on hold or how many applicants will be offered admission after being placed on hold. Because candidates on hold are not placed in ranked order, we are unable to assess an individual applicant’s chances for admission.

What can I do if I am still interested in attending Northwestern and wish to enhance my chances for admission?
As stated in our letter, we will accept letters of continued interest or additional letters of recommendation. We require these to be submitted electronically via email to admissions@law.northwestern.edu. If you have not participated in an on-campus interview, you may schedule an interview for the months of February or March. Please note that March interviews are reserved for hold candidates who have not yet interviewed with us, or who have only done an off-campus interview with an alum.

Can I submit additional writing samples or information about myself?
The Admissions Committee has devised three optional essay questions exclusively for hold applicants. Throughout the application process we have learned a lot about your ambition, motivation for law school, academic ability and career goals. The purpose of this optional assignment is for us to find out more about you as a person.

Because these are optional, you may choose to submit none, one, or even all of them. Please limit your response for each question to 750 words. Please submit your essays to admissions@law.northwestern.edu as a Word document or PDF. Be sure to include your name, LSDAS account number, and subject line: “HOLD essay”. DO NOT submit via hard copy.

Question 1: Are social networking sites a positive or negative influence (on communication, human interaction, etc.)?
Question 2: Describe your version of a perfect day.
Question 3: If you could have dinner with a fictional TV character, who would it be and why?

Is it possible to schedule an off-campus interview?
Unfortunately, we have exhausted our availability and are unable to offer off-campus interviews at this time.

I need to respond back to X school by Y date. Do I need to wait until the end of April for a decision? Is it possible to receive an expedited decision?
We will be re-evaluating those who are on "hold" and who have sent back their response forms periodically between now and the end of April. However, the bulk of our re-evaluations will begin in April. If we are able to offer you admission, we will notify you immediately. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the hold category, we are unable to provide "expedited decisions." Most law schools understand the hold process; you should talk to the other law schools you’re considering to determine what their policies are should you be accepted to another school after making a commitment.

Does being placed on hold impact my ability to receive a scholarship or grant?
All grants and scholarships at Northwestern Law are awarded on a combined basis of merit and need and are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Historically, we award these funds throughout the spring until they are exhausted. This means if funds remain, you will be placed under consideration. Candidates are urged to complete their Need Access Application as quickly as possible (preferably by the March 1 deadline). Once admitted, we will immediately consider the candidate for any available funds. Please visit our financial aid section for more information.

How do I remove myself from consideration?
We ask that you notify us immediately in writing if you would like to be removed from consideration. Please feel free to email us at admissions@law.northwestern.edu or send a fax to (312) 503-0178.

Whom should I contact if I still have questions?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding being placed on hold, you may call us at (312) 503-8465 or email admissions@law.northwestern.edu. Our admissions staff will be happy to assist you.

gatorapplicant

Postby gatorapplicant » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:50 pm

i have my hold interview tomorrow morning... eek!

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:53 pm

gatorapplicant wrote:i have my hold interview tomorrow morning... eek!

Good luck!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:13 am

Unagi wrote:
ethelcakes wrote:Could a hold candidate let me know what the instructions are for the extra essays suggested in the FAQ section of the hold letter? thanks!

FAQ for Students on Hold

The Law School Admissions Office would like to provide you with the following information in an effort to answer questions that you may have regarding the admissions process from this point forward. We understand the time and effort that you have invested in your application and hope this information will be helpful to you. We sincerely appreciate your patience and continued interest in our Law School and unique learning community.

What does it mean to be placed on "hold"?
The Admissions Committee has completed a review of your application. While we are impressed with your accomplishments and the merits of your application, we are unable to provide an offer of admission at this time. Those on "hold" are still under consideration for seats in the entering class and may be re-evaluated at any time.

Are there spaces available and what are my chances for admission?
We do anticipate admitting some candidates from hold. The applicant pool varies each year, and therefore we cannot predict exactly how many candidates will be placed on hold or how many applicants will be offered admission after being placed on hold. Because candidates on hold are not placed in ranked order, we are unable to assess an individual applicant’s chances for admission.

What can I do if I am still interested in attending Northwestern and wish to enhance my chances for admission?
As stated in our letter, we will accept letters of continued interest or additional letters of recommendation. We require these to be submitted electronically via email to admissions@law.northwestern.edu. If you have not participated in an on-campus interview, you may schedule an interview for the months of February or March. Please note that March interviews are reserved for hold candidates who have not yet interviewed with us, or who have only done an off-campus interview with an alum.

Can I submit additional writing samples or information about myself?
The Admissions Committee has devised three optional essay questions exclusively for hold applicants. Throughout the application process we have learned a lot about your ambition, motivation for law school, academic ability and career goals. The purpose of this optional assignment is for us to find out more about you as a person.

Because these are optional, you may choose to submit none, one, or even all of them. Please limit your response for each question to 750 words. Please submit your essays to admissions@law.northwestern.edu as a Word document or PDF. Be sure to include your name, LSDAS account number, and subject line: “HOLD essay”. DO NOT submit via hard copy.

Question 1: Are social networking sites a positive or negative influence (on communication, human interaction, etc.)?
Question 2: Describe your version of a perfect day.
Question 3: If you could have dinner with a fictional TV character, who would it be and why?

Is it possible to schedule an off-campus interview?
Unfortunately, we have exhausted our availability and are unable to offer off-campus interviews at this time.

I need to respond back to X school by Y date. Do I need to wait until the end of April for a decision? Is it possible to receive an expedited decision?
We will be re-evaluating those who are on "hold" and who have sent back their response forms periodically between now and the end of April. However, the bulk of our re-evaluations will begin in April. If we are able to offer you admission, we will notify you immediately. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the hold category, we are unable to provide "expedited decisions." Most law schools understand the hold process; you should talk to the other law schools you’re considering to determine what their policies are should you be accepted to another school after making a commitment.

Does being placed on hold impact my ability to receive a scholarship or grant?
All grants and scholarships at Northwestern Law are awarded on a combined basis of merit and need and are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Historically, we award these funds throughout the spring until they are exhausted. This means if funds remain, you will be placed under consideration. Candidates are urged to complete their Need Access Application as quickly as possible (preferably by the March 1 deadline). Once admitted, we will immediately consider the candidate for any available funds. Please visit our financial aid section for more information.

How do I remove myself from consideration?
We ask that you notify us immediately in writing if you would like to be removed from consideration. Please feel free to email us at admissions@law.northwestern.edu or send a fax to (312) 503-0178.

Whom should I contact if I still have questions?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding being placed on hold, you may call us at (312) 503-8465 or email admissions@law.northwestern.edu. Our admissions staff will be happy to assist you.

Putting this in the OP for reference (not that anyone reads the OP anymore lolol it's like a fucking novel), thanks for finding it and c-ping it ^_^

zor

Postby zor » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:03 am

Good luck!! Let us know how it goes, mine is in two weeks.

zor

Postby zor » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:21 pm

I fully acknowledge that this may be a stupid question, but during your interviews what did you ask them as your questions? This thread has a ton of help of the kinds of questions I'll be asked, but nothing about what people asked their interviewer about NU. I'm doing an on-campus hold interview soon so I can't talk to an alum about his/her career path or experience at the school, and I feel any questions about the school itself, its programs, or its process can be easily answered by the website so I don't want to sound like I haven't done my homework. Questions about student life aren't going to be answerable by an admissions representative. So what's left? I definitely want to be engaging, and I'm flying out there from the East Coast so I want to feel like I took full advantage of the experience.

And thanks for the responses about my LOCI. I sent it along with my additional LOR a week or so ago. Fingers crossed!

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:32 pm

zor wrote:I fully acknowledge that this may be a stupid question, but during your interviews what did you ask them as your questions? This thread has a ton of help of the kinds of questions I'll be asked, but nothing about what people asked their interviewer about NU. I'm doing an on-campus hold interview soon so I can't talk to an alum about his/her career path or experience at the school, and I feel any questions about the school itself, its programs, or its process can be easily answered by the website so I don't want to sound like I haven't done my homework. Questions about student life aren't going to be answerable by an admissions representative. So what's left? I definitely want to be engaging, and I'm flying out there from the East Coast so I want to feel like I took full advantage of the experience.

And thanks for the responses about my LOCI. I sent it along with my additional LOR a week or so ago. Fingers crossed!

What attracts you to the school? I asked questions relating to what I liked about NU.

I also asked about how clinics worked and how they impacting class work, mentioning a couple clinics I was interested in to show I had done research. I think questions on the mechanics of law school are good. Maybe ask about an academic area of interest you have or partnerships with other schools, like Kellogg. Stuff like that.

And if you have a good question about student life, ask it. I bet the rep will know the answer and even if they don't, it will still reflect well on you.

jrthor10

Postby jrthor10 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:36 pm

Doing my hold interview next week. Can anyone who has interviewed on campus shed any light on who usually does these interviews? Johann? Others members of the adcomm team?

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:52 pm

jrthor10 wrote:Doing my hold interview next week. Can anyone who has interviewed on campus shed any light on who usually does these interviews? Johann? Others members of the adcomm team?

I interviewed with a different member of the office. Not sure who it was or if she is on the adcomm, but she was an office of admissions employee.

gatorapplicant

Postby gatorapplicant » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:07 pm

zor wrote:

Good luck!! Let us know how it goes, mine is in two weeks.

Had my interview this morning. The whole thing was very laid back, the woman was extremely friendly and we basically just went over my resume. She said hold candidates might not hear until May, yikes. Also at the end of the interview she explained the waitlist in detail. This didn't exactly make me feel confident, but i'm wondering if they go over the waitlist during all hold interviews since that's where the majority of candidates will end up? who knows.

jhw219

Postby jhw219 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:24 pm

Random Question: i've been held (for awhile now actually) and have been meaning to add johann on Google+ since there seems to be more detailed info there. the only thing is that the e-mail on my application isn't my gmail, it's my school one. i know that he organizes you into specific circles so i don't know if he'll know which one i belong in since the e-mails won't match. did anyone else have this problem? and if you did what did you do about it?

46nyc

Postby 46nyc » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:29 pm

jhw219 wrote:Random Question: i've been held (for awhile now actually) and have been meaning to add johann on Google+ since there seems to be more detailed info there. the only thing is that the e-mail on my application isn't my gmail, it's my school one. i know that he organizes you into specific circles so i don't know if he'll know which one i belong in since the e-mails won't match. did anyone else have this problem? and if you did what did you do about it?

Don't worry, I think he will find you by name. I use my school email for my applications, but gmail for Google+, and he added me.

YesNoMaybe

Postby YesNoMaybe » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:37 pm

Last edited by YesNoMaybe on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:45 pm

YesNoMaybe wrote:Very confused. Why are you guys adding him on Google+? What are the benefits/what is the logic behind this? I was held too.

He has been posting information on his G+ account that only held and accepted students can view. It's private, so you have to be in his held/accepted student circles.

jhw219

Postby jhw219 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:47 pm

46nyc wrote:
jhw219 wrote:Random Question: i've been held (for awhile now actually) and have been meaning to add johann on Google+ since there seems to be more detailed info there. the only thing is that the e-mail on my application isn't my gmail, it's my school one. i know that he organizes you into specific circles so i don't know if he'll know which one i belong in since the e-mails won't match. did anyone else have this problem? and if you did what did you do about it?

Don't worry, I think he will find you by name. I use my school email for my applications, but gmail for Google+, and he added me.

great thanks!

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:01 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
YesNoMaybe wrote:Very confused. Why are you guys adding him on Google+? What are the benefits/what is the logic behind this? I was held too.

He has been posting information on his G+ account that only held and accepted students can view. It's private, so you have to be in his held/accepted student circles.

And it can't hurt to make a personal connection with him.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:03 pm

Samara wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

^ This. He has a good track record of knowing when people they've admitted are friends with him on G+ and commenting to congratulate them on their G+ accounts. I know it's happened to at least 2 people ITT alone. This would indicate that he does, in fact, take notice when applicants friend him, and what they say on their social media websites.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:25 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

^ This. He has a good track record of knowing when people they've admitted are friends with him on G+ and commenting to congratulate them on their G+ accounts. I know it's happened to at least 2 people ITT alone. This would indicate that he does, in fact, take notice when applicants friend him, and what they say on their social media websites.

Yep, I had a couple interactions with him via a different social media site, one even unrelated to law school. I don't know if it helped my application, but at the very least, it was kind of cool. :P

YesNoMaybe

Postby YesNoMaybe » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:14 pm

Last edited by YesNoMaybe on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”