NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rinkrat19

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:24 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:My sour grapes, let me show you them.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:24 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:I think the requirement of work experience in fact undermines "richness of life experience and maturity that [sic] brings to the collective class."

(incorrectly) placing [sic] within someone's quote registers at least a 7 on the douche-o-meter.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:26 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:I think the requirement of work experience in fact undermines "richness of life experience and maturity that [sic] brings to the collective class." For one, it inhibits certain majors from being strong candidates for admission who otherwise would be (see any humanities, social science, econ, foreign language, etc.). Additionally, it creates comprised of twnety-something ex-professionals who worked in a mediorcre finance position for a few years and consequently realized the so-called "real world" is whack.

Are you implying that humanities, social science, econ etc majors cannot get jobs? I am a poli sci and econ major. I think the econ major is extremely employable in finance, etc. And humanities majors get jobs all the time: journalists, legal assistants, non-profits, fellowships to work abroad, teaching experience, peace corps, etc etc. Employment doesn't depend on your major, as much as your resume - past internships, concrete skills, interview skills, gpa, etc.

Anyway, I value work experience and personally, I think it has taught me a lot about the "real" world and gives me a more grounded perspective going into law school. I think everyone should try to work between UG and LS because you just gain a better perspective.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:29 pm

tmon wrote:For people who have already done their interview, would it be a good for me to wait to interview until I have my October LSAT score? Or is that not going to make a difference? I thought I remembered someone saying that it should be on your resume for the interview and that it was mentioned in theirs. I figure I can do the interview right after the score release date at the end of October without much of any delay with my application. I also have the luxury of not having to travel far for it, so I can schedule it whenever. Any thoughts?

I'm also an October LSAT and I interviewed recently. (Aside to lurking adcomms: I'm the one who interviewed so well I should be an auto-admit :wink: )

I don't think you get any advantage by waiting. My interviewer had the list of questions and when they deviated, it was to ask questions about stuff on my resume. They have you fill out a little form, so that's how they find out your numbers. They didn't ask me about my GPA and I doubt they ever ask about LSAT.

Interview tips: Writing out some answers to the questions listed here was very helpful to me. I only got a couple of them, but organizing my thoughts beforehand was helpful. I felt like a complete idiot though because I totally spaced that they would of course ask me if there was anything else I'd like to add and if I had any questions for them. I kind of froze up and only sort of recovered. Definitely missed a chance to highlight some things that didn't get talked about. It my be helpful to make a mental checklists of what you want the interview to hit so you don't miss stuff.

My interviewer took pretty extensive notes. This was really helpful because I could see when I was spinning my wheels and needed to take a different tack.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions anyone has.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:30 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
nids333 wrote:I'm currently sitting in Northwestern's Law Library that overlooks Lake Michigan. This place is unreal!

want

It's easy to get distracted from reading:
--ImageRemoved--

I wrote a Why NU, got held, interviewed, wrote two supplemental essays so if anyone has any questions regarding all that jazz or the school then feel free to ask.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:31 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:So if I work at McDonald's for a year after undergrad will I be more likely to be admitted since I'll be a smarter, more mature, better candidate than those immature, irresponsible college students?

Troll harder.

NU is only school that emphasizes WE, so why do you care?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:31 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
BiglawOrBust wrote:I think the requirement of work experience in fact undermines "richness of life experience and maturity that [sic] brings to the collective class."

(incorrectly) placing [sic] within someone's quote registers at least a 7 on the douche-o-meter.

I'd say coming into an 'X Law School Applicants' thread just to debate admissions procedure does too...this douche-o-meter business is not looking good for you, BLOB...

Also, this thread is for application information/discussion, not a discussion on the merits of work experience and whether it's justified for NU to prefer it. The fact is, NU does, and if you're interested in knowing what sort of WE you need or whether you qualify, then by all means discuss. But if you're coming here just to start a debate on whether or not it should be a factor at all, gtfo and start your own thread please, don't clutter up this one. TYIA.
Last edited by crumpetsandtea on Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:32 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:I think the requirement of work experience in fact undermines "richness of life experience and maturity that [sic] brings to the collective class." For one, it inhibits certain majors from being strong candidates for admission who otherwise would be (see any humanities, social science, econ, foreign language, etc.). Additionally, it creates comprised of twnety-something ex-professionals who worked in a mediorcre finance position for a few years and consequently realized the so-called "real world" is whack.

One would think that people who use "[sic]" would be extra careful to (a) put it in the right place, and (b) not make a plethora of their own typos.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:35 pm

Flips88 wrote: I wrote a Why NU, got held, interviewed, wrote two supplemental essays so if anyone has any questions regarding all that jazz or the school then feel free to ask.

Wish I wasn't at work so I could see that pic!! Leave it up for another...2-3 hours? :lol: Also, did you ED, flips? And what were your stats again?

ETA: nvm, found your LSN on your TLS profile.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:35 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Flips88 wrote: I wrote a Why NU, got held, interviewed, wrote two supplemental essays so if anyone has any questions regarding all that jazz or the school then feel free to ask.

Wish I wasn't at work so I could see that pic!! Leave it up for another...2-3 hours? :lol: Also, did you ED, flips? And what were your stats again?

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/FightForYourMind

:wink:

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:36 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/FightForYourMind

:wink:

NINJA EDITED. BOOM.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:39 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

Well now as you can see, I predicted I would get dinged outright and ended up getting in. So keep up hope till you get a decision.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:42 pm

Flips88 wrote:Well now as you can see, I predicted I would get dinged outright and ended up getting in. So keep up hope till you get a decision.

Hahaha I definitely will...I hear for ED being moved to RD is the kiss of death at NU though ):

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:07 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
BiglawOrBust wrote:Hell, man, the economy is in piss-poor shape -- I'd even venture a guess that there are homeless LS grads. So, when you consider all the -- in TLS terms -- TTTT college graduates, do you really think that is a stretch?

I'm a girl. From a certain famously unemployed, destitute and penniless city. I'm no stranger to the under/unemployed. :lol: But this is a moot point. No, I don't think NU will choose a kid who worked at McDonald's for a year because they'll "be a smarter, more mature, better candidate than those immature, irresponsible college students". They value WE for richness of life experience and the maturity that brings to the collective class.

I wasn't saying "man" to take note of your gender; I was merely using it for conversational purposes. (I think "man" made the continuity and flow of that post much nicer than, say, "chica" or nothing. But this, too, is a moot point.)

I think the requirement of work experience in fact undermines "richness of life experience and maturity that brings to the collective class." For one, it inhibits certain majors from being strong candidates for admission who otherwise would be (see any humanities, social science, econ, foreign language, etc.). Additionally, it creates a class comprised of twenty-something ex-professionals who worked in a mediorcre finance position for a few years and consequently realized the so-called "real world" is whack.

The irony of this is that I am one of the majors he listed as being inhibited and....I HAVE NO WE. Surprise! :lol: But I'm not crying about it because that's what the school tends to want in its incoming class. Boohoo sad for us. They don't owe me anything, so I'm working hard, really hope I get in, but I'm not going to cry about the fact that they like a trait that I don't possess. Yea, it sucks. Tough.

And to this:
I think "man" made the continuity and flow of that post much nicer than, say, "chica" or nothing

--ImageRemoved--

(I actually didn't care, I was clarifying because you are new and we don't know each other. It's okkk...)

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:25 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:I think the requirement of work experience in fact undermines "richness of life experience and maturity that brings to the collective class." For one, it inhibits certain majors from being strong candidates for admission who otherwise would be (see any humanities, social science, econ, foreign language, etc.). Additionally, it creates a class comprised of twenty-something ex-professionals who worked in a mediorcre finance position for a few years and consequently realized the so-called "real world" is whack.

Hey, I have a Political Science degree from a state school and minimal work experience (4 months at the time of application, like 7 or so when admitted).

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:43 pm

I just saw this

Bildungsroman wrote:

and it made my night so much better. Bahahaha.

I believe the part he cut in the beginning had WE as our direct object...so I'm pretty sure that "that" in this case is being used as a demonstrative pronoun. But I didn't study no English grammer in UG so I could be wrong. Well I have found this sufficiently amusing. I don't know why someone would troll the admissions thread for a school they want to get into. :lol:

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:46 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:So if I work at McDonald's for a year after undergrad will I be more likely to be admitted since I'll be a smarter, more mature, better candidate than those immature, irresponsible college students?

I've yet to meet any 1L's who worked at Mickey D's. Actually, my "WE" (Peace Corps) is one of the least interesting things- which was quite humbling, let me tell you.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:00 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:I just saw this

Bildungsroman wrote:

I believe the part he cut in the beginning had WE as our direct object...so I'm pretty sure that "that" in this case is being used as a demonstrative pronoun. But I didn't study no English grammer in UG so I could be wrong.

Your grammar was just fine, lovely.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:03 pm

Oh, also, I'll read Why NU essays if y'all are still writing.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:10 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:I just saw this

Bildungsroman wrote:

I believe the part he cut in the beginning had WE as our direct object...so I'm pretty sure that "that" in this case is being used as a demonstrative pronoun. But I didn't study no English grammer in UG so I could be wrong.

Your grammar was just fine, lovely.

<3<3

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:24 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Oh, also, I'll read Why NU essays if y'all are still writing.

Haven't started, but might take you up on that. Thanks Eugenie

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:50 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:

I've yet to meet any 1L's who worked at Mickey D's. Actually, my "WE" (Peace Corps) is one of the least interesting things- which was quite humbling, let me tell you.

I dunno. I've met a lot office assistants, legal assistants, paralegals, paper pushers, etc. There are of course some superstars in the class but I doubt they are close to a majority. I think the thing is that a lot of people talk up their work experience to make it sound better than it really is, especially to strangers/people they are meeting for the first time.

The main point is that I think most college grads (especially ones who eventually want to go to law school or graduate school of some sort) aren't going to work in fast food, rather they will generally end up as an office bitch of some sort (possibly wait tables if that's what it takes to survive). And the maturity is comes from supporting yourself while working (granted some people do that through undergrad and that is taken into account by the adcomms even if it isn't as heavily weighted as a single year after of work exp postgrad).

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:57 am

Question for you all: I have my interview coming up soon, but I was wondering-- if we submit our application prior to the interview, does the interviewer see it or get a copy of it??

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:09 pm

freestallion wrote:Question for you all: I have my interview coming up soon, but I was wondering-- if we submit our application prior to the interview, does the interviewer see it or get a copy of it??

I called the admissions office and they told me the interviewer doesn't see your app. Presumably this only applies to the off-campus alumni interviews though.

(I just got a fee waiver so now I guess I'm checking in on this thread as well.)

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:12 pm

No13baby wrote:
freestallion wrote:Question for you all: I have my interview coming up soon, but I was wondering-- if we submit our application prior to the interview, does the interviewer see it or get a copy of it??

I called the admissions office and they told me the interviewer doesn't see your app. Presumably this only applies to the off-campus alumni interviews though.

(I just got a fee waiver so now I guess I'm checking in on this thread as well.)

It may apply to on-campus as well. Based on my interview, (I have not submitted my app yet) the questions were focused on my resume. We barely talked about my UG classes or stuff like that at all, so I think they just go off the resume and the little form you fill out.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”