NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Hopefully2012

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby Hopefully2012 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:39 pm

freestallion wrote:Haha, I love Johann. Added him onto Google+. It's awesome to find someone who is on all forms of social media like myself :P

His posts on twitter/g+ have been really informative in the application process.

I'm definitely a fan of admissions officers who are on top of their game when it comes to connecting with future potential applicants. Johann is in the front of the pack with regard to connecting through social networking sites.
Last edited by Hopefully2012 on Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:43 pm

Not to mention he's hilarious.

Added him on G+, realized that like 90% of my posts on G+ have some form of cussing. Oops. It's okay, v. doubtful he'll see anyway :lol:

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:44 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Not to mention he's hilarious.

Added him on G+, realized that like 90% of my posts on G+ have some form of cussing. Oops. It's okay, v. doubtful he'll see anyway :lol:

haha

Very true. He seems like an awesome person to interview with. :)

Has any TLSer done an on-campus yet? Does he conduct some of them?
Last edited by Hopefully2012 on Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Strange

Postby Strange » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:45 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Not to mention he's hilarious.

Funnier cause one of his recent tweets was about someone saying "frickin" before an interview...

I don't use my G+ anymore but I made a second account to follow him on twitter.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:51 pm

Things I love about G+:
- the ability to edit statuses/posts after you've posted them ;)

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:44 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Things I love about G+:
- the ability to edit statuses/posts after you've posted them ;)

Johann just followed me back :shock:

It's cool, my Google+ is awesome :D

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:08 pm

freestallion wrote:Johann just followed me back :shock: It's cool, my Google+ is awesome :D

Haha yeah, seems like he's the 'follow everyone back' type. Which is really cool IMO ^_^ My mission 'Become BFFLs With Johann' commences starting now. :lol:

80eight

Postby 80eight » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:42 pm

I did my (off campus) interview last week, and thinking back, I can see a few places where I stumbled. I'm trying not to over-analyze. Interview-Me just seems like such a fake version of me! Ugh.

On the plus side, I learned a lot about Northwestern, and Chicago. I loved everything. I'm just going to keep telling myself that this was the main purpose of the interview anyway. Please accept me, NU!

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:45 pm

PSA: The admissions office is in the atrium (tall glass shiny part). The large room full of 60 students with laptops and a lecturing professor is NOT likely to be the admissions office. Show up earlier enough that you don't run in five minutes late, panting, to the wrong place.

:D

nids333

Postby nids333 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:04 am

I'm currently sitting in Northwestern's Law Library that overlooks Lake Michigan. This place is unreal!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:31 pm

nids333 wrote:I'm currently sitting in Northwestern's Law Library that overlooks Lake Michigan. This place is unreal!

want

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:44 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
nids333 wrote:I'm currently sitting in Northwestern's Law Library that overlooks Lake Michigan. This place is unreal!

want

be careful what you wish for!

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:41 pm

I've been working on my Why NU essay, and so far it's mostly about the importance of work experience and how I like that NU values that. Does this seem a little too trite? I think it rings true at least-- I'm a big supporter of getting some work experience before going back to school.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:17 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:I've been working on my Why NU essay, and so far it's mostly about the importance of work experience and how I like that NU values that. Does this seem a little too trite? I think it rings true at least-- I'm a big supporter of getting some work experience before going back to school.

It depends on how you say it I guess. If you go into specifics and explain why YOU PERSONALLY like it, then it's not trite. I include a sentence or two on it too (and I assume most people do) but the majority of my Why NU talks about other things. If you really went into detail about it, that would separate the WE-part of your statement from more broad-strokes-commentary on it like mine. ^_^

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:44 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:I've been working on my Why NU essay, and so far it's mostly about the importance of work experience and how I like that NU values that. Does this seem a little too trite? I think it rings true at least-- I'm a big supporter of getting some work experience before going back to school.

:shock: You're stealing my essay!

jk, I make a mention of their emphasis on WE, but tie it into the larger theme of my essay, which is not really focused on WE. I don't think it's trite; I'm just not sure if I would make it the sole focus. HTH

By the way, if anyone wants to swap Why NU essays, PM me!

tmon

Postby tmon » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:38 pm

For people who have already done their interview, would it be a good for me to wait to interview until I have my October LSAT score? Or is that not going to make a difference? I thought I remembered someone saying that it should be on your resume for the interview and that it was mentioned in theirs. I figure I can do the interview right after the score release date at the end of October without much of any delay with my application. I also have the luxury of not having to travel far for it, so I can schedule it whenever. Any thoughts?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:59 pm

tmon wrote:For people who have already done their interview, would it be a good for me to wait to interview until I have my October LSAT score? Or is that not going to make a difference? I thought I remembered someone saying that it should be on your resume for the interview and that it was mentioned in theirs. I figure I can do the interview right after the score release date at the end of October without much of any delay with my application. I also have the luxury of not having to travel far for it, so I can schedule it whenever. Any thoughts?

It can't hurt! Esp if you're not applying ED ^_^

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:55 pm

So if I work at McDonald's for a year after undergrad will I be more likely to be admitted since I'll be a smarter, more mature, better candidate than those immature, irresponsible college students?

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:59 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:So if I work at McDonald's for a year after undergrad will I be more likely to be admitted since I'll be a smarter, more mature, better candidate than those immature, irresponsible college students?

Uh, most of the people just talking about WE have real people jobs. I think that's what NU looks for over McDonald's (I know the economy sucks but...College grad slinging fries?).

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:02 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
BiglawOrBust wrote:So if I work at McDonald's for a year after undergrad will I be more likely to be admitted since I'll be a smarter, more mature, better candidate than those immature, irresponsible college students?

Uh, most of the people just talking about WE have real people jobs. I think that's what NU looks for over McDonald's (I know the economy sucks but...College grad slinging fries?).

Hell, man, the economy is in piss-poor shape -- I'd even venture a guess that there are homeless LS grads. So, when you consider all the -- in TLS terms -- TTTT college graduates, do you really think that is a stretch?

tmon

Postby tmon » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:06 pm

The question makes it sound like you're still figuring out your plans, rather than trying to work with what you've done. If that's the case, I'd recommend looking for something as legitimate as possible. Maybe AmeriCorps, Teach for America other nonprofit work, paralegal stuff, or really anything you can get if you don't seem to have any particular prospects in mind. Those are pretty typical jobs people seem to take during "gap year(s)." Without any WE, you're all but eliminated based on NU's statistics.
If you're working with what you have...do your best to sell it and hope it flies I guess.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:07 pm

If you supported yourself like a grownup, yes, actually. (It's not as good as a 'real' job, but it is something. You'd still probably have to really impress them in your interview.)

If you lived with mommy and daddy rent-free and worked at McD's for money to spend on video games, no.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:10 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:

Hell, man, the economy is in piss-poor shape -- I'd even venture a guess that there are homeless LS grads. So, when you consider all the -- in TLS terms -- TTTT college graduates, do you really think that is a stretch?

I'm a girl. From a certain famously unemployed, destitute and penniless city. I'm no stranger to the under/unemployed. :lol: But this is a moot point. No, I don't think NU will choose a kid who worked at McDonald's for a year because they'll "be a smarter, more mature, better candidate than those immature, irresponsible college students". They value WE for richness of life experience and the maturity that brings to the collective class.

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:22 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
BiglawOrBust wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:

I'm a girl. From a certain famously unemployed, destitute and penniless city. I'm no stranger to the under/unemployed. :lol: But this is a moot point. No, I don't think NU will choose a kid who worked at McDonald's for a year because they'll "be a smarter, more mature, better candidate than those immature, irresponsible college students". They value WE for richness of life experience and the maturity that brings to the collective class.

I wasn't saying "man" to take note of your gender; I was merely using it for conversational purposes. (I think "man" made the continuity and flow of that post much nicer than, say, "chica" or nothing. But this, too, is a moot point.)

I think the requirement of work experience in fact undermines "richness of life experience and maturity that brings to the collective class." For one, it inhibits certain majors from being strong candidates for admission who otherwise would be (see any humanities, social science, econ, foreign language, etc.). Additionally, it creates a class comprised of twenty-something ex-professionals who worked in a mediorcre finance position for a few years and consequently realized the so-called "real world" is whack.
Last edited by BiglawOrBust on Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:24 pm

So go somewhere else where they don't require WE? I fail to see the problem.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”