NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tmon

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby tmon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:24 pm

The only situation I think you'd even want to considering not wearing something strictly business attire in is if you're interviewing off campus. And even then it sounds like dressing down a little might be okay but a suit is still acceptable.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:30 pm

YAY! It makes me happy to hear suits are TCR for these interviews, mainly cause I just blew ~250 bucks at Banana Republic for a sweet ass black skirt suit & lace shells (30% off everything mothafuckaaaaasss) :mrgreen: Now I get to wear it and justify my exorbitant spending habits!! WHOOO

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:30 pm

Samara wrote:Also wearing a suit, FWIW.

On an unrelated note, JamMasterJ, did you ever try out King David Dogs? I was in Indy this past weekend and was disappointed to discover (rediscover?) that they aren't open on the weekends.

[img]jpg[/img]

I didn't. I'm not in the city all that much, so it might be a while.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:31 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:YAY! It makes me happy to hear suits are TCR for these interviews, mainly cause I just blew ~250 bucks at Banana Republic for a sweet ass black skirt suit & lace shells (30% off everything mothafuckaaaaasss) :mrgreen: Now I get to wear it and justify my exorbitant spending habits!! WHOOO

Girls suck; our suits are so much more expensive.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:34 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:YAY! It makes me happy to hear suits are TCR for these interviews, mainly cause I just blew ~250 bucks at Banana Republic for a sweet ass black skirt suit & lace shells (30% off everything mothafuckaaaaasss) :mrgreen: Now I get to wear it and justify my exorbitant spending habits!! WHOOO

Yeah guys have it rough with formal attire. Not only is it moar expensive but also way more rules...only black, tying ties certain ways, cufflinks, balblabla....us girls only have to buy a nice suit, get some nice shit to wear under it, cute heels, and jewelry. Oh, and tights I guess. FFFFUUUUU i hate nude tights :cry:

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:38 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:

I'd much rather pay more if it meant I didn't have to wear heels and nylons.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:48 am

rinkrat19 wrote:I'd much rather pay more if it meant I didn't have to wear heels and nylons.

My main jealousy stems from the fact that women can get away with professional attire that isn't as damned stifling. Guys just have no recourse when it's 80-100 degrees outside and we are expected to wear a suit.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:57 am

bk1 wrote:My main jealousy stems from the fact that women can get away with professional attire that isn't as damned stifling. Guys just have no recourse when it's 80-100 degrees outside and we are expected to wear a suit.

Heels and tights aren't stifling? Spoken like someone who's never had to suffer... :lol:

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:25 am

bk1 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I'd much rather pay more if it meant I didn't have to wear heels and nylons.

My main jealousy stems from the fact that women can get away with professional attire that isn't as damned stifling. Guys just have no recourse when it's 80-100 degrees outside and we are expected to wear a suit.

Or 110 here in the Southwest. I have to wear a tie, no exceptions, but women in my office will be seen wearing tennis shoes and everything else in the "south of business casual" category.

Any opinions on listing the LSAT score on a resume one sends to the off-campus interviewer?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:34 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Or 110 here in the Southwest. I have to wear a tie, no exceptions, but women in my office will be seen wearing tennis shoes and everything else in the "south of business casual" category.

Any opinions on listing the LSAT score on a resume one sends to the off-campus interviewer?

I'm pretty sure your application package is independent of your interview, meaning that the interviewer doesn't see anything but you and your resume. But if I had your LSAT score, I'd want to brag too

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:56 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:Any opinions on listing the LSAT score on a resume one sends to the off-campus interviewer?

My off-campus interviewer asked what my LSAT was and scribbled it onto my resume. It was the only note he made. So it may be worth putting it down.

And FWIW, my LSAT is much lower than yours but my interviewer still said it was 'very impressive', so you're in good shape.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:35 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
bk1 wrote:My main jealousy stems from the fact that women can get away with professional attire that isn't as damned stifling. Guys just have no recourse when it's 80-100 degrees outside and we are expected to wear a suit.

Heels and tights aren't stifling? Spoken like someone who's never had to suffer... :lol:

Well tights do suck but there is more flexibility for women in general.

I'd gladly take some foot pain if I could lower my body temp.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:53 pm

Just got an email titled "Northeastern fee waiver" and got excited for a second thinking it was from NU

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:59 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Just got an email titled "Northeastern fee waiver" and got excited for a second thinking it was from NU
:lol: Imagine my irritation every time I got yet another viewbook package (at least three last cycle, plus various mailings about special programs, etc.) from The Northwestern School of Law at Lewis & Clark College.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:27 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Just got an email titled "Northeastern fee waiver" and got excited for a second thinking it was from NU
:lol: Imagine my irritation every time I got yet another viewbook package (at least three last cycle, plus various mailings about special programs, etc.) from The Northwestern School of Law at Lewis & Clark College.

Hilarious. I've been getting a lot of stuff from Michigan...State. So close.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:28 pm

Samara wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Hilarious. I've been getting a lot of stuff from Michigan...State. So close.

they send so many emails

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:32 pm

Haha I thought the same thing for a second.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:20 pm

Update: changed countdown timer on OP from 'when apps open' to 'when ED apps are due'. After Dec 1st, I'll change it to 'When RD apps are due' ^_^

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:29 pm

Does anyone know how important it is to answer BOTH optional essays? I know the Why NU is important but what about the 'diversity' one?

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:53 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Does anyone know how important it is to answer BOTH optional essays? I know the Why NU is important but what about the 'diversity' one?

I'm not doing a diversity one. But then again, I have about as little diversity as you could have. I'm mad they got rid of the 2008 plan essay. I was going to do that one!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:21 pm

Samara wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Does anyone know how important it is to answer BOTH optional essays? I know the Why NU is important but what about the 'diversity' one?

I'm not doing a diversity one. But then again, I have about as little diversity as you could have. I'm mad they got rid of the 2008 plan essay. I was going to do that one!

I wrote that one last year. I too, have almost 0 diversity.

nids333

Postby nids333 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:30 pm

This long term plan question is a pain...

Strange

Postby Strange » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:28 pm

Johann posted these on his G+ if anyone isn't aware of them yet (probably nobody in this thread but oh well :lol: )
As mentioned on Twitter-- there are five changes to the JD admissions process this year from last. Four of them are listed below, the fifth-- well-- I'm going to hold onto that one until next week. I'm not completely ready to announce it...yet

1) Career Progress Evaluation form is dead!
Well, it's dead for those applying to the traditional three-year program. Those that are applying to the AJD program will still need to have their rec fill this out.

2) GMAT
Only optional for the AJD program. Those applying to the 3YJD program must take the LSAT.

3) Standardized ID for our status checker
No more strange ID that is specific to ONLY Northwestern when checking your status.

4) Only two optional essays (down from three)
Who are we kidding? Optional essays are not really optional! :) If you can't write a "Why X School" essay, should you really be applying to that school?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/102552009136948752045/posts

Strange

Postby Strange » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:28 pm

Johann posted these on his G+ if anyone isn't aware of them yet (probably nobody in this thread but oh well :lol: )
As mentioned on Twitter-- there are five changes to the JD admissions process this year from last. Four of them are listed below, the fifth-- well-- I'm going to hold onto that one until next week. I'm not completely ready to announce it...yet

1) Career Progress Evaluation form is dead!
Well, it's dead for those applying to the traditional three-year program. Those that are applying to the AJD program will still need to have their rec fill this out.

2) GMAT
Only optional for the AJD program. Those applying to the 3YJD program must take the LSAT.

3) Standardized ID for our status checker
No more strange ID that is specific to ONLY Northwestern when checking your status.

4) Only two optional essays (down from three)
Who are we kidding? Optional essays are not really optional! :) If you can't write a "Why X School" essay, should you really be applying to that school?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/102552009136948752045/posts

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:31 pm

Haha, I love Johann. Added him onto Google+. It's awesome to find someone who is on all forms of social media like myself :P

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”