NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JamMasterJ

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:21 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:Just bought respectable adult black pumps to wear with my suit.

Sexxxyyy. I might spend this weekend studying/shopping. Excite :D :D

Scarlet are you going the same week as Crumps? I'm foreveralone.

I also realized I need professional clothes. Unless 4 inch heels in red, back and white print, or bright blue suede are considered professional now. I went to J Crew to try on a nice suit skirt and cried a little when I saw the price tag.

I was looking there for suits. $700? damn

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:29 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:Just bought respectable adult black pumps to wear with my suit.

Sexxxyyy. I might spend this weekend studying/shopping. Excite :D :D

I also realized I need professional clothes. Unless 4 inch heels in red, back and white print, or bright blue suede are considered professional now. I went to J Crew to try on a nice suit skirt and cried a little when I saw the price tag.

TCR is to pick up suits piece-by-piece when they're on sale.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:30 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:I was looking there for suits. $700? damn

I will definitely be buying mine at home before heading to Chicago, land of 10% sales tax. :cry:

I've never lived anywhere with sales tax. It is seriously going to mess with my mind (and wallet).

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:46 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Sexxxyyy. I might spend this weekend studying/shopping. Excite :D :D

Yep, I was just going to get a pencil skirt. $120...ouchies. But cheap pencil skirts are awful. I know I'm gonna have to drop some money eventually. I can't forget that I need professional heels. Unless these:
or these:
--ImageRemoved--
are professional ;)

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:18 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Samara wrote:
descartesb4thehorse wrote:
tmon wrote:Yeah, it's worked into tuition to the fees of just about all local colleges/universities. So...you pay for it actually...but I guess you don't have a choice.

Ugh. 99.9% of undergrad politics at UChicago (LinkRemoved) were people taking stances for/against the uPass.

They still don't have it. NU>UChicago here, for sure.

That is so stupid. UPass is such a great deal and who wouldn't make an average of three trips every two weeks at no marginal cost? Do people just sequester themselves to campus, never leaving the confines of Hyde Park?

Yeah, I really wish UChicago had the UPass; I would use the shit out of it.

You should treat yourself to one with part of the $3000-$4000 less that you pay in tuition than us. :P

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:27 pm

It's all about the outlet mall for suit/ pencil skirts. I'm a pencil skirt obsessive so I already own a decent amount of those.

Eich, I don't think I am. I'm going in September.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:29 pm

I am peeing on this thread so I can smell it out later and return to it.

Good luck to you all.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:33 pm

also, eich, I got a decent pair of professional heels at nine west for around $40 (outlet sale). They're comfy and black patent and not too tall (which kills me because I'm so midgety). I figure I can spring for the nice ones when I get biglaw :mrgreen:

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:23 pm

bk1 wrote:
Samara wrote:
descartesb4thehorse wrote:
tmon wrote:Yeah, it's worked into tuition to the fees of just about all local colleges/universities. So...you pay for it actually...but I guess you don't have a choice.

Ugh. 99.9% of undergrad politics at UChicago (LinkRemoved) were people taking stances for/against the uPass.

They still don't have it. NU>UChicago here, for sure.

That is so stupid. UPass is such a great deal and who wouldn't make an average of three trips every two weeks at no marginal cost? Do people just sequester themselves to campus, never leaving the confines of Hyde Park?

You should treat yourself to one with part of the $3000-$4000 less that you pay in tuition than us. :P

You can't though. It's like, Idunno, 200 some dollars per student, but the university has to sign on to approve it. Students were in favor and passed a ballot measure; admin was like LOLOLOLOL.

They were always on about "you'd have to make more than 4 trips a month! Who does that? Kids who get Cs. DO YOU WANT TO GET A C?" and then when that didn't work, because people would use it more, way more if it were an option, they just said that they didn't want to up tuition. And then they raised tuition like $4000 or something anyway.

BTW, those electric blue shoes are totally professional. Also, adorable. Maybe moreso adorable than professional. But if I were hiring someone and they walked in wearing those, I'd be like "I'm taking the afternoon off so we can go to lunch and shopping, oh and btw you have the job." So...

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:34 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:BTW, those electric blue shoes are totally professional. Also, adorable. Maybe moreso adorable than professional. But if I were hiring someone and they walked in wearing those, I'd be like "I'm taking the afternoon off so we can go to lunch and shopping, oh and btw you have the job." So...

:mrgreen: I didn't realize my taste in heels in for sky-high and brightly colored until I looked for an appropriate pair.

Scarlet, good call on the outlet malls. I think I'd have a pencil skirt tailored anyways, so may as well save some cash in the process.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:26 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:also, eich, I got a decent pair of professional heels at nine west for around $40 (outlet sale). They're comfy and black patent and not too tall (which kills me because I'm so midgety). I figure I can spring for the nice ones when I get biglaw :mrgreen:

1.) We both ace the Oct test
2.) ED & get into NU
3.) Kick ass at OCI
4.) Go on shopping spree together, buy awesome clothes.

^ This is officially the plan for our lives for the next 2 years, scarlet. <3

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:35 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:also, eich, I got a decent pair of professional heels at nine west for around $40 (outlet sale). They're comfy and black patent and not too tall (which kills me because I'm so midgety). I figure I can spring for the nice ones when I get biglaw :mrgreen:

1.) We both ace the Oct test
2.) ED & get into NU
3.) Kick ass at OCI
4.) Go on shopping spree together, buy awesome clothes.

^ This is officially the plan for our lives for the next 2 years, scarlet. <3

This is perfect. I agree with this life plan 100% Now to continue studying during my conference period at work to make it happen....

Poor students. I suck at grading their work right now because I'm far too busy trying to make step 1 happen.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:40 pm

As far as I know they haven't put out any admissions statistics for this year's class yet, but I did a little counting that I can share with prospective applicants.

Class of 2014 appears to have 243 students (in the NU law directory). This is quite a bit less than are in the current class of 2013 (292 students), but that includes the new transfers and AJDs admitted last cycle.

Using graduation dates it looks like there are 15 students who went straight through from undergrad. So that proportion (6%) is also higher than in years past, although not everyone has a graduation date and it's not clear if they effectively marked all of the master's degree holders properly.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:12 pm

bdubs wrote:As far as I know they haven't put out any admissions statistics for this year's class yet, but I did a little counting that I can share with prospective applicants.

Class of 2014 appears to have 243 students (in the NU law directory). This is quite a bit less than are in the current class of 2013 (292 students), but that includes the new transfers and AJDs admitted last cycle.

Using graduation dates it looks like there are 15 students who went straight through from undergrad. So that proportion (6%) is also higher than in years past, although not everyone has a graduation date and it's not clear if they effectively marked all of the master's degree holders properly.

Thank you for the info!! I won't put it in the OP just yet (better to wait for exact numbers, I think) but it's great information to have. (:

80eight

Postby 80eight » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:43 pm

About to email my interviewer (off-campus) :shock:

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:18 pm

bdubs wrote:As far as I know they haven't put out any admissions statistics for this year's class yet, but I did a little counting that I can share with prospective applicants.

Good numbers. By the way, I'm not sure if it's in the thread yet, but Johann tweeted that we are the same as last year.

@tweetsbyjohann wrote:Entering class medians: 3.8/170

edit: Here are the details Johann Lee just put on his google+ page.

Johann Lee wrote:Medians: 3.8/170
25/75 gpa: 3.4-3.9
25/75 lsat: 165-171
geog: 28%MW; 28%NE; 22%W; 17%S
46% women; 35% students of color
95% w/ work experience; 79% 2+ years

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:25 pm

Can anyone who's had their interview speak to the dress code? I just bought a nice suit, but I don't want to show up in a suit if everyone else is just in business casual :oops:

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:54 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Can anyone who's had their interview speak to the dress code? I just bought a nice suit, but I don't want to show up in a suit if everyone else is just in business casual :oops:

I'm wearing a suit, so at least one other person their won't make you look overdressed :mrgreen:
Bumi wrote:

Good numbers. By the way, I'm not sure if it's in the thread yet, but Johann tweeted that we are the same as last year.

@tweetsbyjohann wrote:Entering class medians: 3.8/170

edit: Here are the details Johann Lee just put on his google+ page.

Johann Lee wrote:Medians: 3.8/170
25/75 gpa: 3.4-3.9
25/75 lsat: 165-171
geog: 28%MW; 28%NE; 22%W; 17%S
46% women; 35% students of color
95% w/ work experience; 79% 2+ years

So excited to be over the 25%ile gpa. Now I need LSAT

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:56 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:I'm wearing a suit, so at least one other person their won't make you look overdressed :mrgreen:

Saweeeet. We should hang out BEFORE our actual interviews, btw, so if we see each other we know who we are and can commiserate/freak out together. :lol: And AT LEAST BOTH OF US WILL BE ALL DRESSY AND SHIET XD

tmon

Postby tmon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:57 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Can anyone who's had their interview speak to the dress code? I just bought a nice suit, but I don't want to show up in a suit if everyone else is just in business casual :oops:

There was a thread linked to earlier and pretty much everyone agreed that if you're on campus it's business attire and a suit is a necessity. Granted, that was in response to a guy asking. I don't think you'd be out of place though.

JamMasterJ wrote:So excited to be over the 25%ile gpa. Now I need LSAT

Sigh. Foreverasplitter.jpg

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:58 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:I'm wearing a suit, so at least one other person their won't make you look overdressed :mrgreen:

Saweeeet. We should hang out BEFORE our actual interviews, btw, so if we see each other we know who we are and can commiserate/freak out together. :lol: And AT LEAST BOTH OF US WILL BE ALL DRESSY AND SHIET XD

We're taking the train in from Valpraiso (1.5 hrs), so it depends on when we get there. You've been before, right? Cause I need to look around the school. Are you visiting UChi that weekend?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:01 pm

tmon wrote:There was a thread linked to earlier and pretty much everyone agreed that if you're on campus it's business attire and a suit is a necessity. Granted, that was in response to a guy asking. I don't think you'd be out of place though.

To the first part--sweeeet. Skirt suit ftw, then!

To the second-- +1 :cry: (But you should take comfort in the fact that I'm a worse splitter than you, and I totally wasted away this labor day weekend by not completing all my practice tests OH GOD IM GOING TO GET A SUB 170 SOMEONE PLEASE SLAP SOME SENSE INTO ME ;____;)

JamMasterJ wrote:We're taking the train in from Valpraiso (1.5 hrs), so it depends on when we get there. You've been before, right? Cause I need to look around the school. Are you visiting UChi that weekend?

'We' = you and the fiancee? Or another TLS interviewer? And yeah I've been to NU before. I'll be staying in HP but I'll probably take the bus like a few hours early and look like an aspie fuck wandering around NU/downtown chicago in a skirt suit :oops:

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:04 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
tmon wrote:There was a thread linked to earlier and pretty much everyone agreed that if you're on campus it's business attire and a suit is a necessity. Granted, that was in response to a guy asking. I don't think you'd be out of place though.

To the first part--sweeeet. Skirt suit ftw, then!

To the second-- +1 :cry: (But you should take comfort in the fact that I'm a worse splitter than you, and I totally wasted away this labor day weekend by not completing all my practice tests OH GOD IM GOING TO GET A SUB 170 SOMEONE PLEASE SLAP SOME SENSE INTO ME ;____;)

JamMasterJ wrote:We're taking the train in from Valpraiso (1.5 hrs), so it depends on when we get there. You've been before, right? Cause I need to look around the school. Are you visiting UChi that weekend?

'We' = you and the fiancee? Or another TLS interviewer? And yeah I've been to NU before. I'll be staying in HP but I'll probably take the bus like a few hours early and look like an aspie fuck wandering around NU/downtown chicago in a skirt suit :oops:

lol. Yeah, she's coming with me. We might look a little at housing, hospitals (she's finishing her nursing degree this year), and obviously Gino's :D

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:15 pm

Also wearing a suit, FWIW.

On an unrelated note, JamMasterJ, did you ever try out King David Dogs? I was in Indy this past weekend and was disappointed to discover (rediscover?) that they aren't open on the weekends.

--ImageRemoved--

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:21 pm

Wearing a suit as well. :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”