NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rinkrat19

Re: NU (NW?) Apps '11-'12 - Congratulations RD Admits! <3

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:24 pm

I feel for you guys who are still waiting on decisions, but you're taking the 8-week thing too literally Last year there were people who didn't get a decision until 11 weeks. I know it's depressing to think about waiting that long, but maybe it will make not hearing back at exactly 8 weeks less tragic if you think of it as a soft estimate, not a hard deadline

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:26 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I feel for you guys who are still waiting on decisions, but you're taking the 8-week thing too literally Last year there were people who didn't get a decision until 11 weeks. I know it's depressing to think about waiting that long, but maybe it will make not hearing back at exactly 8 weeks less tragic if you think of it as a soft estimate, not a hard deadline

If your app is complete prior to Dec. 1st and they say 6-8 weeks, they should stick to it. If it's a known problem (like it's happened in prior years), they should revise the status checker to say something like 6-12 weeks.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:34 pm

citykitty wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I feel for you guys who are still waiting on decisions, but you're taking the 8-week thing too literally Last year there were people who didn't get a decision until 11 weeks. I know it's depressing to think about waiting that long, but maybe it will make not hearing back at exactly 8 weeks less tragic if you think of it as a soft estimate, not a hard deadline

If your app is complete prior to Dec. 1st and they say 6-8 weeks, they should stick to it. If it's a known problem (like it's happened in prior years), they should revise the status checker to say something like 6-12 weeks.

There are plenty of schools who make you wait past their 'deadline'. They get thousands of apps in a year, I think some leeway should be given when they're not replying TO THE DAY.

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:37 pm

Easy to say coming from the crew that's already been accepted. Allow us our bitching - just another way to kill time until d-day.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:46 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:Easy to say coming from the crew that's already been accepted. Allow us our bitching - just another way to kill time until d-day.

I realize that, and I'm going through the same thing with other schools (been complete at Vandy since 11/11, for example). I bitch all the time, but I also know that guidelines for when you can expect to hear back are just guidelines. I'm doing my best to try and ease everyone's worries about being past the 6-8 week deadline by reminding y'all that there are lots of applicants, and I'm pretty sure NU does their best to read all of them carefully (as do most if not all schools :) )

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:48 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
DaftAndDirect wrote:Easy to say coming from the crew that's already been accepted. Allow us our bitching - just another way to kill time until d-day.

I realize that, and I'm going through the same thing with other schools (been complete at Vandy since 11/11, for example). I bitch all the time, but I also know that guidelines for when you can expect to hear back are just guidelines. I'm doing my best to try and ease everyone's worries about being past the 6-8 week deadline by reminding y'all that there are lots of applicants, and I'm pretty sure NU does their best to read all of them carefully (as do most if not all schools :) )

I still disagree. Most schools don't actually give a deadline like NU does. If they can't accomplish it by then, then they shouldn't say they will. Just don't put anything on there or say 6-12 weeks. If my application was a few days or weeks late, I don't think the schools would be so accommodating. I'm still waiting on several schools that I thought would have gotten back to me by now, but NU is the only one that gave me an actual window.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:01 pm

citykitty wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

I still disagree. Most schools don't actually give a deadline like NU does. If they can't accomplish it by then, then they shouldn't say they will. Just don't put anything on there or say 6-12 weeks. If my application was a few days or weeks late, I don't think the schools would be so accommodating. I'm still waiting on several schools that I thought would have gotten back to me by now, but NU is the only one that gave me an actual window.

If you can't live with the admin disappointing you constantly and generally being run by splitters, I suggest you withdraw.

MissElphaba

Postby MissElphaba » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:04 pm

Deferred admission via email tonight! Don't really want to take a year off, but the $50k per year offer is mighty enticing!

mrmojojak

Postby mrmojojak » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:20 pm

MissElphaba wrote:Deferred admission via email tonight! Don't really want to take a year off, but the $50k per year offer is mighty enticing!

I don't know if this had been discussed at all but that's interesting and kind of cool. I think I'd be trying to get a job in Chicago and networking if they did something like that for me. But then again I'm just praying for an acceptance. What's the general consensus on why they do that? To make sure people have work experience? Or are they pretty set with this year's class and just trying to get some good numbers on boat for next year?

Smumps

Postby Smumps » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:30 pm

Did anyone else get a SC update today? I seem like the only person that went complete-->complete.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:40 am

did not get any news today. Maybe they thought the drop in applications was going to be greater than it was. Either way, there's nothing to do about it. The school's been very transparent with us in everything else. Hopefully they do something like the Dean Z email to give some of us long-time waiters a bit more clarity

wphr

Postby wphr » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:33 am

I AM IN!! I got the email yesterday. with scholarship!! :)

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:51 pm

wphr wrote:I AM IN!! I got the email yesterday. with scholarship!! :)

Congrats! :D

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:54 pm

nice!! Late acceptances make me feel much better about the possibility of not getting WL/dinged

46nyc

Postby 46nyc » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:02 pm

I am past 8 weeks too, and applied in September. I can't say it's easy waiting so long for a decision, but we're all going to be fine in the end. I waited 16 weeks from going complete at Penn (when they say it shouldn't take longer than 12 weeks from completion to get a decision) and then finally got in there - everyone in this thread will go to a great school, don't worry. Congrats to everyone who got in yesterday!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:23 pm

Is that the scholarship+deferral deal? Because aside from that and the ED scholarship, I haven't heard of NU giving out any money before the Fin. Aid apps are in.

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:45 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:did not get any news today. Maybe they thought the drop in applications was going to be greater than it was. Either way, there's nothing to do about it. The school's been very transparent with us in everything else. Hopefully they do something like the Dean Z email to give some of us long-time waiters a bit more clarity

Don't worry Jam, everyone knows you're getting in eventually with that LSAT score.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:46 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:did not get any news today. Maybe they thought the drop in applications was going to be greater than it was. Either way, there's nothing to do about it. The school's been very transparent with us in everything else. Hopefully they do something like the Dean Z email to give some of us long-time waiters a bit more clarity

Don't worry Jam, everyone knows you're getting in eventually with that LSAT score.

thanks bud.

wphr

Postby wphr » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:57 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Is that the scholarship+deferral deal? Because aside from that and the ED scholarship, I haven't heard of NU giving out any money before the Fin. Aid apps are in.

Yup! i am a K-JD. :) straight from undergrad. haha

Cornelius

Postby Cornelius » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:18 pm

citykitty wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

+1. This is the only problem with the NU thread. People love the school so much they can't even admit to a very minor flaw.

Kring345

Postby Kring345 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:35 pm

46nyc wrote:I am past 8 weeks too, and applied in September. I can't say it's easy waiting so long for a decision, but we're all going to be fine in the end. I waited 16 weeks from going complete at Penn (when they say it shouldn't take longer than 12 weeks from completion to get a decision) and then finally got in there - everyone in this thread will go to a great school, don't worry. Congrats to everyone who got in yesterday!

+1

I applied Sept 18th with a 5 years of very relevant work experience, 168 LSAT, and a 3.8. Not a peep since October.

I still havent heard from S, CLS, NYU, Penn, and was held at Harvard. It'll work out. Just going to be a bit longer of a cycle. But thank goodness that I dont have constant internet access.

jeninamillion

Postby jeninamillion » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:54 am

Smumps wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:
Smumps wrote:STATUS DATE CHANGE. WENT FROM 12/15-->1/27. STILL COMPLETE, NO DECISION RENDERED. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN.

HELP.

WTF? I don't know if there was anyone who went complete twice so far. At least for me, it went complete ---> decision letter mailed

On a side note, WHERE IS MY NU ID/EMAIL??!! Or is that for only if you decided to enroll?

On LSN, they have only done acceptances/rejections so far. Wondering if this puts me in WL land. Blarrrrrrgh.

I'm so glad you posted this Smumps because I was starting to freak out that I was the only one. My date changed from 11/28 to 12/28. I have no idea what this means!!

Aqualung

Postby Aqualung » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:08 am

Got the email a few days ago. 1 year deferral with 50k/year. Not sure how to feel.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:33 am

Aqualung wrote:Got the email a few days ago. 1 year deferral with 50k/year. Not sure how to feel.

Uh... you got rejected from Harvard, you should feel pretty good about getting a full ride from Northwestern.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:05 am

Aqualung wrote:Got the email a few days ago. 1 year deferral with 50k/year. Not sure how to feel.

Clearly, you should feel terribly disappointed, and should tell us about how that feels. And you should probably let NU know how insulting you find their offer, and turn it down immediately. (Conveniently leaving that $50k in the scholly pool for those of us who might appreciate it.)

:|
Dude, come on.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”