NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rinkrat19

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:54 pm

sea15 wrote:So I obsess a bit over hypothetical situations, but this is really cool:

http://www.transitchicago.com/upass/

If I'm reading this correctly, Northwestern law students get a u-pass, which lets you ride the train and bus all semester for free. I was already worrying about commuting costs to the school I'm not sure if I'll attend or be admitted to or know where I would live if admitted and attended.
A mandatory u-pass is included in your NU fees, yes.

sea15

Postby sea15 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:55 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
sea15 wrote:So I obsess a bit over hypothetical situations, but this is really cool:

If I'm reading this correctly, Northwestern law students get a u-pass, which lets you ride the train and bus all semester for free. I was already worrying about commuting costs to the school I'm not sure if I'll attend or be admitted to or know where I would live if admitted and attended.
A mandatory u-pass is included in your NU fees, yes.

Very cool.

tmon

Postby tmon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:56 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I kind of rushed through the Science museum, but I saw the two things I really wanted to see: the U-boat tour and the big dollhouse. I have no idea why a dollhouse is "science and industry," but it's freaking amazing. I got in free there too, with my membership to another sci/ind museum. I'll definitely need to spend a longer day there. And also see the Fields Museum.

Yeah, Field is cool if you're into the stuff you mentioned in the Oriental Museum and other related attractions. If you're an animal person (and can swallow the ridiculous cost) the Shedd is a great aquarium. Tried to go on a free day earlier in the summer but the line was absurd and it didn't include the jellyfish exhibit they have going right now so I skipped it, having already been before. Also, Lincoln Park Zoo is free and accessible by public trans :)

In fact, the only mueseum attraction I don't recommend in Chi is the planetarium. do.not.go. So worthless.

Yeah, it's worked into tuition to the fees of just about all local colleges/universities. So...you pay for it actually...but I guess you don't have a choice.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:28 pm

tmon wrote:Yeah, it's worked into tuition to the fees of just about all local colleges/universities. So...you pay for it actually...but I guess you don't have a choice.

Ugh. 99.9% of undergrad politics at UChicago (LinkRemoved) were people taking stances for/against the uPass.

They still don't have it. NU>UChicago here, for sure.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:30 pm

Soo....anyone else gonna be at NU first week of Oct? Crumps if you haven't signed up yet, this is me telling you to do it that week.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:34 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Soo....anyone else gonna be at NU first week of Oct?

Me!

Oh I see what you're asking...

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:45 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Soo....anyone else gonna be at NU first week of Oct? Crumps if you haven't signed up yet, this is me telling you to do it that week.

Sorry, I already signed up for mine! I don't want to say exactly when it is in case adcomms actually do check this forum (lolouting), but PM meeeeee.

Strange

Postby Strange » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:18 pm

If anyone's still buying tickets, Virgin America is having a sale till Sep 1 AND you can get a 20% off coupon.

EDIT: Never mind, 20% is dead
Last edited by Strange on Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:30 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Soo....anyone else gonna be at NU first week of Oct? Crumps if you haven't signed up yet, this is me telling you to do it that week.

Sorry, I already signed up for mine! I don't want to say exactly when it is in case adcomms actually do check this forum (lolouting), but PM meeeeee.

Good thinkin

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:17 pm

just signed up for my interview; I'm getting scared

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:21 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:just signed up for my interview; I'm getting scared

Be careful, the interviewers can sense your fear, it only makes them stronger...

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:22 pm

Flustercluck wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:just signed up for my interview; I'm getting scared

Be careful, the interviewers can sense your fear, it only makes them stronger...

they sound like raptors.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:45 pm

Got it the first day of orientation. It's pretty AWESOME.

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:29 am

Had my off-campus interview already. It was relaxed, but more 'stock' interview questions than I expected. Someone else told me they just went over their resume with their interviewer, not me.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:41 am

sanetruth wrote:Had my off-campus interview already. It was relaxed, but more 'stock' interview questions than I expected. Someone else told me they just went over their resume with their interviewer, not me.

post Qs?

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:48 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
sanetruth wrote:Had my off-campus interview already. It was relaxed, but more 'stock' interview questions than I expected. Someone else told me they just went over their resume with their interviewer, not me.

post Qs?

Honestly, super stock questions.
"Why do you want to be a lawyer?"
"Why Northwestern?"
"Give an example of a team you were a part of, a problem that team had, and how you resolved it"

Also, the first two questions were followed up with 'can you give me a specific example'.

As I mentioned above, I know someone else who interviewed already too and they literally just went down their resume going 'tell me about this'. So don't assume yours will be like mine, but its good to be prepared.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:04 pm

sanetruth wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

post Qs?

Honestly, super stock questions.
"Why do you want to be a lawyer?"
"Why Northwestern?"
"Give an example of a team you were a part of, a problem that team had, and how you resolved it"

Also, the first two questions were followed up with 'can you give me a specific example'.

As I mentioned above, I know someone else who interviewed already too and they literally just went down their resume going 'tell me about this'. So don't assume yours will be like mine, but its good to be prepared.

fair enough, thanks sane

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:47 pm

I am weirdly excited about my interview. Though that might just be the 'I GET TO VISIT CHICAGO' talking.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:48 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:I am weirdly excited about my interview. Though that might just be the 'I GET TO VISIT CHICAGO' talking.

Same here. TBF I occasionally forget I'm visiting to interview and not just to have awesome birthday chicago fun.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:49 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:I am weirdly excited about my interview. Though that might just be the 'I GET TO VISIT CHICAGO' talking.

Same here. TBF I occasionally forget I'm visiting to interview and not just to have awesome birthday chicago fun.

XD!! Clearly interview = birthday chicago fun. CLEARLY. Also, sheee-it, I need to buy new interview clothez.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:51 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

XD!! Clearly interview = birthday chicago fun. CLEARLY. Also, sheee-it, I need to buy new interview clothez.

Just bought respectable adult black pumps to wear with my suit.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:54 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Just bought respectable adult black pumps to wear with my suit.

Sexxxyyy. I might spend this weekend studying/shopping. Excite :D :D

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:43 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
tmon wrote:Yeah, it's worked into tuition to the fees of just about all local colleges/universities. So...you pay for it actually...but I guess you don't have a choice.

Ugh. 99.9% of undergrad politics at UChicago (LinkRemoved) were people taking stances for/against the uPass.

That is so stupid. UPass is such a great deal and who wouldn't make an average of three trips every two weeks at no marginal cost? Do people just sequester themselves to campus, never leaving the confines of Hyde Park?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:44 pm

Samara wrote:
descartesb4thehorse wrote:

That is so stupid. UPass is such a great deal and who wouldn't make an average of three trips every two weeks at no marginal cost? Do people just sequester themselves to campus, never leaving the confines of Hyde Park?

Yeah, I really wish UChicago had the UPass; I would use the shit out of it.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:48 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:Just bought respectable adult black pumps to wear with my suit.

Sexxxyyy. I might spend this weekend studying/shopping. Excite :D :D

Scarlet are you going the same week as Crumps? I'm foreveralone.

I also realized I need professional clothes. Unless 4 inch heels in red, back and white print, or bright blue suede are considered professional now. I went to J Crew to try on a nice suit skirt and cried a little when I saw the price tag.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”